PDA

View Full Version : Why do we struggle in road games?

Crimson Kid
10/20/2007, 03:08 PM
And i don't consider tulsa a road game, it was in our backyard basiclly.

I just don't understand why we can't put away a crappy team on the road.

Youngsooner
10/20/2007, 03:11 PM
they arent use to people cheering against them... that's why

boomersooner28
10/20/2007, 03:14 PM
I really think it's leadership. Sam is just a Freshman. He may be the leader, BUT he is not the Junior or Senior QB leader a lot of great teams have had. He is still young and when you go the road you have to have someone step up and take control of the situation.

Sooner5030
10/20/2007, 03:14 PM
IMO it's been execution problems more than scheme.

Dropped passes, fumbles, muffed punt return, etc. .

StoopTroup
10/20/2007, 03:19 PM
Tulsa was a Road game...

They are another Team who gave us fits with their passing game.

Folks want to knock us off.

We better start playing to win from the opening snap instead of starting out flat. I hate it when we come out and make a turnover especially if it leads to the other team taking the lead in the game.

MamaMia
10/20/2007, 03:24 PM
In the Sooners defense, those ISU fans looked highly rabid! :eek:

jawilso
10/20/2007, 03:26 PM
Freshman QB...'nough said.

Hotel Bravo
10/20/2007, 03:34 PM
In the Sooners defense, those ISU fans looked highly rabid! :eek:

Not to mention their players doing a lot of shoving after the play was over. Kind of uncalled for.

1890MilesToNorman
10/20/2007, 03:35 PM
I didn't see a crappy team in ISU today. I only got to watch the 2nd half because of a stupid soccer game but they did not look that crappy.

FirstandGoal
10/20/2007, 03:46 PM
We also need to remember that the CU game and the game we played today were both homecoming games. Couple that with the fact that you have a chance to knock off a top 5 team and it makes for a tough road environment.

soonersn2007
10/20/2007, 04:27 PM
Why does the QB have to be the leader? Right now I don't see any team member stepping up to take the role.

AzianSooner
10/20/2007, 04:29 PM
The team did not stay at the Holliday Inn the night before. That is the reason.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/20/2007, 04:30 PM
Why does the QB have to be the leader? Right now I don't see any team member stepping up to take the role.
Me neither.. on offense. Lofton and English seem to get the defense goin' though.

Jeronimo
10/20/2007, 04:31 PM
i cant explain anything that is going on with our team, but i do know that....
1. bob has definitely lost his mojo with the last couple teams.
2. was it the players? seriously, why cant these guys do what their told? i've never seen such undisciplined players since before bob.
3. these guys are gonna make me quit watching all together because I am sick and tired of these road game heart attacks.

soonersn2007
10/20/2007, 04:35 PM
You can only hope that this ugly win can serve as a reason to really be critical of some players and have a 1-1 with them. If we bring this same lack of emotion and mental toughness to the rest of our games.........we will lose at Tech for sure.

Jeronimo
10/20/2007, 04:38 PM
we play this way, we will lose to tech, and osu. cause osu will be all kinds of fired up for this one. i dont know what it is these guys arent doing that the guys did before them, but somethings gotta change. and bradford was SO a freshman today.

StoopTroup
10/20/2007, 04:50 PM
and bradford was SO a freshman today.
How so?

:pop:

TopDawg
10/20/2007, 04:54 PM
I think we struggle in road games just because...well...they're road games. With the parity in college football these days, that energy that players draw from the crowd can make a big difference.

Our 2000 team struggled on the road too. It wasn't because they were bad...I think it's just the way college football is moving. Road games are going to be tough...no matter who is playing.

StoopTroup
10/20/2007, 04:57 PM
Homecoming floats are OUr weakness.

TopDawg
10/20/2007, 05:02 PM

For Superman, it's kryptonite. For us, it's tissue paper.

ouwapiti
10/20/2007, 05:07 PM
i think we can put the 'big game bob' moniker officially to bed.....the only traditional quality team to beat us lately has been texas...IMHO

redblood
10/20/2007, 05:15 PM
It is that big target that we carry on our backs.

SoonerDood
10/20/2007, 05:17 PM
Game of Their Life Mode. Only happens when OU comes to town.
When it's Texas or some other mid-major, "Oh we have no chance! Might as well take the beating we have coming to us!"
When it's OU- "We have to play hard and smart! We can do this!"
I freakin hate it.

Curly Bill
10/20/2007, 05:21 PM

Maybe the homecoming Queens make us weak in the knees. :P

westcoast_sooner
10/20/2007, 05:27 PM
redblood and soonerdood have it exactly right. OU will ALWAYS have a target on their backs when they come to town. The opposing teams and fans always treat it like it's their best day EVAR if they beat us. They'll rush the field, tear down the goal posts, overturn cars, and generally act like hoodlums.

If we're looking for Senior leadership out of Sam, that's probably not out of th question, but we need to get some firey leadership qualities out of some of our other guys (Allen Patrick, Chris Brown, someone on the O-Line), and some of the guys on the O-Line need to GET TOUGH. BLOW SOMEONE OFF THE BALL!!!!

I loved the way our guys were opening holes in the 2nd half, and how the D shut down the ISU offense. DJ deserves a game ball. I think someone challenged them in the locker room at halftime.

Good to get a win - but this team needs to take the next two weeks and get it together if they REALLY want to be in the MNC hunt, IMO>

Curly Bill
10/20/2007, 05:30 PM
ISU isn't going to a bowl game so this was their big game of the year: A chance to knock off a top 5 team, on homecoming, and on TV...

meoveryouxinfinity
10/20/2007, 05:34 PM
Heh, kinda funny how we win by 10 on the road and ESPN loves to talk about how close the game is. (yeah, I'll admit it really was, but I only really saw the fourth quarter so I wouldn't know.) Ohio State only wins by 7 at home and it's no BFD.

Soonerfan88
10/20/2007, 05:37 PM
I think it's about attitude and overconfidence. No matter what the coaches tell them, no matter the earlier loss to CU, no matter how many teams get upset every weekend - these guys just seem to have the attitude that they are soooo much better than the opponent they don't have to play that hard. Mental errors creep in and it's harder to get focused during the game than coming in focused.

Obviously, teams like Texas and Missouri have their attention all week so they play much better.

mustangsooner
10/20/2007, 05:40 PM
i cant explain anything that is going on with our team, but i do know that....
1. bob has definitely lost his mojo with the last couple teams.
2. was it the players? seriously, why cant these guys do what their told? i've never seen such undisciplined players since before bob.
3. these guys are gonna make me quit watching all together because I am sick and tired of these road game heart attacks.

Don't watch then you freakin crybaby. This **** is getting old. Don't watch if you don't like the excitement of the game.

Cam
10/20/2007, 06:43 PM
Heh, kinda funny how we win by 10 on the road and ESPN loves to talk about how close the game is. (yeah, I'll admit it really was, but I only really saw the fourth quarter so I wouldn't know.) Ohio State only wins by 7 at home and it's no BFD.
We were down 7-0 at half, and it could've been more. We didn't take the lead until the 4th quarter. It was 24-0 OUS before MSU scored. MSU didn't even have 100 yards of total offense until mid way thru the 3rd quarter. It was total domination by OSU, but the score doesn't reflect it.

SoonerJack
10/20/2007, 09:54 PM
For Superman, it's kryptonite. For us, it's tissue paper.

:D :D :D

lol

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/20/2007, 10:02 PM
Heh, kinda funny how we win by 10 on the road and ESPN loves to talk about how close the game is. (yeah, I'll admit it really was, but I only really saw the fourth quarter so I wouldn't know.) Ohio State only wins by 7 at home and it's no BFD.Meatchicken State has played a lot better this year than Iowa State has....but, people don't like the Sooners much, 'cept for Sooner fans.

goingoneight
10/20/2007, 10:02 PM
I'd love for someone here to tell me which team wins by half-a-hundred on the road regularly.

redblood
10/20/2007, 10:09 PM
Have not checked the zodiac but this has to be the year of the dog. Huh.

Curly Bill
10/20/2007, 10:11 PM
I'd love for someone here to tell me which team wins by half-a-hundred on the road regularly.

The Harlem Globetrotters. ;) ;) ;)

tulsaoilerfan
10/20/2007, 10:13 PM
I agree.

tulsaoilerfan
10/20/2007, 10:14 PM
Michigan State is a much better team than Iowa State is.

Petro-Sooner
10/20/2007, 10:20 PM
Our defense sucks!!! And you guys know it.

EDIT :hot: :rolleyes: :texan: :twinkies:

Thousands Strong
10/20/2007, 10:22 PM
Maybe the Sooners just aren't very good.

adoniijahsooner
10/20/2007, 10:44 PM
Our defense sucks!!! And you guys know it.

EDIT :hot: :rolleyes: :texan: :twinkies:

Our defense was solid today, Iowa St. only had 7 points.

adoniijahsooner
10/20/2007, 10:46 PM
Kevin Wilson's Play calling seems very different on the road, he runs when he should pass and passes when he should run. Those swing passes should be put to rest soon.

tulsaoilerfan
10/20/2007, 10:50 PM
Our defense was solid today, Iowa St. only had 7 points.
Considering we were upside down on field position all day, i totally agree; great job by the D