PDA

View Full Version : Wilson & Stoops - lucky to win today

MojoRisen
10/20/2007, 03:02 PM
I have to complain, I am very thankful for the win today and Iowa St played with a lot of emotion.

However: Wilson almost lost the game for us with his conservative play calling and running the ball up the middle 12 times in a row with some rinky dink passes mixed in.

We start every game with a swing bubble screen -

There was at least 15 plays where I called the play prior to the formation being set up on the line. If I were a Line Backer on the other team I would have a field day on Wilsons offense. Especially today

I just wish we would try and get the edgre more in the running game on quick pitches or mis direction.

That is all

Youngsooner
10/20/2007, 03:05 PM
yeah. they are playing not to lose... not to win.
That's what's gonna kill us.

Widescreen
10/20/2007, 03:07 PM
While I agree to a certain degree, I think execution was the bigger problem today. Bradford was off on some passes he ordinarily hits or we would've had a couple of extra TD's. Our OL looked disinterested through the entire 1st half and much of the 2nd half. Our receivers had probably their worst blocking game I've seen in a long, long time.

badger
10/20/2007, 03:09 PM
My high school team has not won a single game since my high school junior year - until this season, when they finally mustered a win.

I would regularly have to play the Notre Dame victory march (our HS song), despite us being down 50-6 at the half, or worse.

I feel lucky to win every week, not because I don't think we're capable, but because I remember how crappy it felt to spend football games wondering when the misery would end, or if it would ever end.

So there, bandwagoners. You we ready to jump at halftime and now, after another victory, we are still ready to push you off.

Doged
10/20/2007, 03:09 PM
I also agree somewhat. We REALLY needed to run the clock in the second half and we did. Most games I'd have been ranting at Wilson for it, but for this game I think it was probably the right way to play it.

boomersooner28
10/20/2007, 03:11 PM
This was NOT a conservative called game. Today was execution. We tried going down the field. One was underthrown, a couple overthrow. we hit one of those it opens up the game. Plus again, turnovers killed us and a few more dropped passes. The gameplan was fine.

rhombic21
10/20/2007, 03:12 PM
I tend to disagree. I thought it was our ability to run the ball in the second half that let us pull out the win. Missed opportunities in the passing game during the first half were the main reason ISU stayed in the game as long as they did.

The double screen to Gresham on our second TD drive was a beautiful playcall.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/20/2007, 03:14 PM
Missed opportunities in the passing game during the first half were the main reason ISU stayed in the game as long as they did.

That, and the freaking TURNOVERS.
:mad:

StoopTroup
10/20/2007, 03:14 PM
We need to build momentum after this one IMO....

Our players need to listen to Bob and realize he's right about us not making as many mistakes as we're making.

I'm glad we got out with a W today. I never thought ISU was gonna pull off an upset...

Our Defense kept them scoreless after the 1st quarter even though they got some yards against us.

Keeping teams out of the EZ is the name of the game IMO.

MojoRisen
10/20/2007, 03:15 PM
What I am saying is we ran the ball up the middle 12-15 times in a row. I agree runt he clock but we have guys with 4.4 speed and we should try and get them outside. The up the middle crap is just running into a pile with a guy that runs a 4.4 forty.

Sorry but what the hell is that- I would have a field day on it... and I will also add that it really did not work well- it was Demarco getting in the holes and getting outside that opened up the running game. Not wilson's genius

King Crimson
10/20/2007, 03:16 PM
hard to know who will show up in the crimson jerseys in 2 weeks against ATM.

Widescreen
10/20/2007, 03:24 PM
What I am saying is we ran the ball up the middle 12-15 times in a row. I agree runt he clock but we have guys with 4.4 speed and we should try and get them outside. The up the middle crap is just running into a pile with a guy that runs a 4.4 forty.

Sorry but what the hell is that- I would have a field day on it... and I will also add that it really did not work well- it was Demarco getting in the holes and getting outside that opened up the running game. Not wilson's genius
Are you talking about our 1st TD drive? That seemed to work pretty well. All we did was run.

SoonerDood
10/20/2007, 03:25 PM
it's the normal away game thing- the other team plays Game of their Life, and we play average.

sitzpinkler
10/20/2007, 03:25 PM
My high school team has not won a single game since my high school junior year - until this season, when they finally mustered a win.

I would regularly have to play the Notre Dame victory march (our HS song), despite us being down 50-6 at the half, or worse.

I feel lucky to win every week, not because I don't think we're capable, but because I remember how crappy it felt to spend football games wondering when the misery would end, or if it would ever end.

So there, bandwagoners. You we ready to jump at halftime and now, after another victory, we are still ready to push you off.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Being critical of the team doesn't make you a bandwagon fan. This performance certainly deserves some criticism. We should have blown this team out. This will not look good to the pollsters and we'll most likely drop behind a couple of one-loss teams unless those teams lose or perform poorly themselves. I hope not we don't drop, but we didn't help ourselves out at all today. We did not look like a top 5 team most of the day, at least not offensively. The defense was great overall, especially considering they had to defend a short field a lot due to our offensive turnovers.

I'm glad we got the win and I'll take this over a loss like Colorado any day.

MojoRisen
10/20/2007, 03:26 PM
Our first TD drive we did not just run into the middle of the pile either- seemed to me Demarco got us cooking and a little quick pitch and quick hitting plays. Not the stack em up and run into the pile stuff again.

Curly Bill
10/20/2007, 03:26 PM
I have to complain, I am very thankful for the win today and Iowa St played with a lot of emotion.

However: Wilson almost lost the game for us with his conservative play calling and running the ball up the middle 12 times in a row with some rinky dink passes mixed in.

There was at least 15 plays where I called the play prior to the formation being set up on the line. If I were a Line Backer on the other team I would have a field day on Wilsons offense. Especially today

I just wish we would try and get the edgre more in the running game on quick pitches or mis direction.

That is all

I thought we started every game with the stretch play. You know the one: have Sam run back there 8 yards deep and hand it to the RB. Or is it the 2nd half where we always start with the stretch play? I don't remember for sure, but you can bet that on 1st down you're going to see that d**n thing real often.

Mr T Likes Texas
10/20/2007, 03:27 PM
the sooners play (and play calling) today reminded me too much of...dare i say... texas.

may the football gods have mercy, sooner faithful...

badger
10/20/2007, 03:28 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Being critical of the team doesn't make you a bandwagon fan.
I'm not saying people who are critical are bandwagoners. I'm saying people who are ready to seek a new t-shirt everytime we are behind on the scoreboard should definitely seek a new t-shirt... how bout a nice Boston College one :D

Boomer Sooner anyway :)

soonermeteor
10/20/2007, 03:29 PM
I've always not liked the conservative play calling in a lot of games. However, that wasn't the problem today. We had a few good plays go bad, all of them bradford and the receivers not hooking up.

Plus, as always, its turnovers. We CANNOT turnover the ball anymore. Its funny that we seem to meltdown to the crappy teams but hold on to the ball against the good ones. :rolleyes:

sooner518
10/20/2007, 03:32 PM
i thought the playcalling was fine today. some deep balls early and Sam just missed by a foot. He made the correct throw but just didnt put it on the money. and we flat out owned their D-line in the 2nd half and I thought it was good to take advantage of that and wear their D out.

not ecstatic about the win, but its a win

boomersooner28
10/20/2007, 03:37 PM
WHAT????? Nobody wants to complain about the DEFENSE? What is going on in here??????

;)

Sooners and Metal
10/20/2007, 03:56 PM
im still trying to lower my blood pressure after that one........how does Texas beat them 56-3 or whatever it was but we beat texas..........I hope they dont travel to Tech that way or there goes the season,i thought poker fans were gonna have a hay day laughin at us "you guys lost to Iowa state,they're 1-6" Thank God they got it toghether in the end! LETS GO!

SleestakSooner
10/20/2007, 03:59 PM
One of these weeks the entire team will show up and not have these mindless mistakes here and there. Fumbles are what killed OU in the first half and without them this game isn't even close.

sitzpinkler
10/20/2007, 04:06 PM
I'm not saying people who are critical are bandwagoners. I'm saying people who are ready to seek a new t-shirt everytime we are behind on the scoreboard should definitely seek a new t-shirt... how bout a nice Boston College one :D

Boomer Sooner anyway :)

Then I apologize. I misunderstood. :)

SleestakSooner
10/20/2007, 04:09 PM
Iowa State is still ****ed at Stoops for laying out their running backs when he played for Iowa.

Jeronimo
10/20/2007, 04:35 PM
we arent trying anything special at all on offense. whens the last time we went end around? we did all that gadget stuff against the teams we didnt need too. now we run, run, predictably throw, punt. or run run, predictably throw-tipped pass-intercepted. why dont these boys TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS!!!!!????? CATCH THE DAMN BALL WITH YOUR HANDS, WRAP UP TACKLE, TWO HANDS ON THE F'N BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

colinreturn
10/20/2007, 04:42 PM

That is all

yeah. im starting to hate watching it. i cant stand it. i know we have more potential passing then running up the middle every play.

ouwapiti
10/20/2007, 05:03 PM
how about a running play with a lead blocker.....all we do is turn and hand to the TB and let him find a crease inside or bounce it....no imagination in the running game at all......and where is this 'supposedly best o-line in the nation' opening up all these running lanes?????.aint happening.........and if if our secondary players are such good athletes, why dont we man up every now and then and get out of the 'give up third and fifteen's' zone????......they're killin' me

StoopTroup
10/20/2007, 05:05 PM
Who was luckier though....

Wilson or Stoops?

:pop:

josh09
10/20/2007, 05:06 PM

That is all

I agree with the post, but idk if we were "lucky" to win. We were in a dogfight, and we didnt play our best. Sam had an off game, but you cant expect him to be amazing every game.

What i like is the fact that our defense was extremely good today. It looked like flashes of the 2000 D. And as Bob always says, defense wins championships :D

Socrefbek
10/20/2007, 05:15 PM
Gotta disagree. Wide open on the deep ball three times for 6 if Sam makes a good throw. Fumbles by the RB's and Interception caused by poor catching technique. Oline waiting until midway thru the second half to start opening some holes in the running game.

The Offense was flat and thank goodness the Defense kept the game close until the Offense decided to wake up.

No coaching issues that I saw. Just flat out poor execution and effort most of the game. :confused:

josh09
10/20/2007, 05:23 PM
Yea, i think wind played a large factor in Sam's deep balls today.

Curly Bill
10/20/2007, 05:25 PM
Yea, i think wind played a large factor in Sam's deep balls today.

Ouch! :eek:

swardboy
10/20/2007, 05:38 PM
"Balls In the Wind" by Peter Long

Piware
10/20/2007, 05:50 PM
Wilson and Stoops can't catch the ball for them, they can't make them not fumble, etc. What they can do is get them ready to play and their heads were just not in it today.

I hate the second down calls that Wilson makes but he's the guy with the job.

TUSooner
10/20/2007, 06:35 PM
While I agree to a certain degree, I think execution was the bigger problem today. Bradford was off on some passes he ordinarily hits or we would've had a couple of extra TD's. Our OL looked disinterested through the entire 1st half and much of the 2nd half. Our receivers had probably their worst blocking game I've seen in a long, long time.
Hear him!
The time I felt BEST today was when we smashed 'em in the mouth with run after run in the 2d half. Sam was having a bad day, missing on some throws that might have blown thegame open.
And speaking of the blocking of the receivers: The very first play could have been a big gainer, except Malcom just matadored the LB who had a staright shot at Iglesias. Lack of execution was the weakness, Sild defense and running right at them salvaged the win.

Dio
10/20/2007, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I hated it when Wilson and Stoops kept overthrowing open receivers and turning the ball over. Bastards! :rolleyes:

Soonerus
10/20/2007, 08:24 PM
I can't believe the naysayers...unbelievable...

medstudent24
10/20/2007, 08:28 PM
im still trying to lower my blood pressure after that one........how does Texas beat them 56-3

Havent you heard? Iowa St didnt prep at all for Texas and sold out to beat OU. They had this game marked on their calendar for months! Everybody on this board knows that all the other Big 12 teams sell out every year to beat OU and dont prep for any of the other games at all because they are so anxious to beat us instead. :rolleyes:

P.S. Colorado did the same thing! They blew off Florida St because they wanted to concentrate on playing OU instead

Soonerus
10/20/2007, 08:30 PM
Havent you heard? Iowa St didnt prep at all for Texas and sold out to beat OU. They had this game marked on their calendar for months! Everybody on this board knows that all the other Big 12 teams sell out every year to beat OU and dont prep for any of the other games at all because they are so anxious to beat us instead. :rolleyes:

P.S. Colorado did the same thing! They blew off Florida St because they wanted to concentrate on playing OU instead

nice post...

medstudent24
10/20/2007, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I hated it when Wilson and Stoops kept overthrowing open receivers and turning the ball over. Bastards! :rolleyes:

Yeah I think the problem stems more from lack of team leadership than coaching problems.

goingoneight
10/20/2007, 08:33 PM
You want to know why they ran it 12 times in a row?

Because it was the only thing working for us.

Sad... but true. :O

Soonerus
10/20/2007, 08:37 PM
PROBLEM ??? we are 7-1 ranked either 3rd or 4th this week, what's wrong with you guys...

Dio
10/20/2007, 08:42 PM
Yeah I think the problem stems more from lack of team leadership than coaching problems.

So, the thread should be called "Team Leadership- lucky to win today"? :confused:

FlatheadSooner
10/20/2007, 08:46 PM
This was a Smash Mouth game until the last minute.

Bradford had an off day. We turned the ball over 3? times.

The momentum seem to swing after their first turnover ~ 5 minutes left in the game.

We stuck around and fought until the end.........and won!

This will help build character for this team.

medstudent24
10/20/2007, 08:49 PM
This was a Smash Mouth game until the last minute.

Bradford had an off day. We turned the ball over 3? times.

The momentum seem to swing after their first turnover ~ 5 minutes left in the game.

We stuck around and fought until the end.........and won!

This will help build character for this team.

I agree with this for the most part. I remember games like KSU in 2003 and USC in 2004 in which OU flat out gave up and quit.

Soonerus
10/20/2007, 08:49 PM
I agree with this for the most part. I remember games like KSU in 2003 and USC in 2004 in which OU flat out gave up and quit.

Jerkish analysis...

tulsaoilerfan
10/20/2007, 10:20 PM
I liked the playcalling also, but i wish they would have ran Brown and Murray more in the first half; the team just seems to play better for some reason when either of those 2 is toting the rock.

Salt City Sooner
10/20/2007, 10:24 PM
In 3 games vs. a Chizik D, OU has scored 12, 10, & now 17 points. Mebbe the dood's not too shabby.......

Curly Bill
10/20/2007, 10:26 PM
In 3 games vs. a Chizik D, OU has scored 12, 10, & now 17 points. Mebbe the dood's not too shabby.......

He coached at Saxet...of course he's shabby. :D

Crucifax Autumn
10/21/2007, 06:02 AM
Did we win??? lol

We're gonna be 3-4 in the new rankings and we'll likely hit 1 or 2 while the team sits around eating nachos and watching tv.

adoniijahsooner
10/21/2007, 10:10 AM
Last week against Mizzou and the week before against Texas we were throwing the ball around and downfield; but against colo and Iowa St. we were bubble screening and up the middle about 75 percent of the time. Our run offense is not suffering from a lack of fire from the line, its due to the other team recognizing our plays before they happen. It seems to be about 8-9 people coming through those holes sometimes. i am noticing wilson is calling plays like chuck long.

rhombic21
10/21/2007, 10:39 AM
I liked the playcalling also, but i wish they would have ran Brown and Murray more in the first half; the team just seems to play better for some reason when either of those 2 is toting the rock.
I agree. I love Allen, and think he is a tremendous athlete, but he has been struggling a lot lately. I noticed on Saturday that it seemed like he missed several cutback lanes. Not saying that he shouldn't still play and be a part of the offense, but I'd like to see Murray and Brown get a bigger share of the carries. I just think they're a little more consistent right now, and seem to be in better sync with the OL.

Brown has really impressed me over the past couple games. He had some really critical runs yesterday and against Missouri. I love his vision and ability to pick his way through traffic.

rhombic21
10/21/2007, 10:41 AM
Last week against Mizzou and the week before against Texas we were throwing the ball around and downfield; but against colo and Iowa St. we were bubble screening and up the middle about 75 percent of the time. Our run offense is not suffering from a lack of fire from the line, its due to the other team recognizing our plays before they happen. It seems to be about 8-9 people coming through those holes sometimes. i am noticing wilson is calling plays like chuck long.
What are you talking about? We went downfield plenty -- just didn't connect on a lot of them. There were also several times when we called PA passes and Sam got sacked because nobody was open deep and the blocking broke down.

MojoRisen
10/21/2007, 12:12 PM

I am not kidding when I said that I called a good amount of plays just being in Wilson's head a bit.

I always had a nose for the ball but - that can't happen. A good defense would destroy us if we come out flat again. Also taking pops downfield doesn/t mean we have to go 3 and out and punt - we should manage the game better.

On the other hand- this is the first game I really have a ton of complaints about. I like running the ball but up the middle in all that junk just isn't cutting it- maybe get outside a bit then hit the middle. Not 10 up the middle and sneak one outside- toooooooooo conservative and it bites in the arse if you don't execute. I liked when Wilson said and did score as quick and as often as possible.

Ball controll - up the middle every single play is not good play calling- sorry

Stoop Dawg
10/21/2007, 01:09 PM
IMO, Bob is upset (worried? concerned? disappointed?) that his team isn't playing better at this point in the season. As others have mentioned, the execution and (IMO) concentration just isn't there. I don't know if they're trying too hard, or not hard enough, but the mistakes are consistent and painful. If we eliminate mistakes, we win easily - even with "average" play.

Stoop Dawg
10/21/2007, 01:12 PM
PROBLEM ??? we are 7-1 ranked way too high again this week, what's wrong with you guys...

Fixed.

The_Red_Patriot
10/21/2007, 01:32 PM
Uhh.... Bradford couldn't hit a deep pass to save his life yesterday.

He was off and yea, he is young and we keep forgetting that.

He has played great at home but not on the road. He is still learning.

If we would have hit one or two of those passes we would have blown them out.

We just never could get that spark.

SOMETIMES IT HAPPENS!!!

85sooners
10/21/2007, 01:39 PM
the sooners play (and play calling) today reminded me too much of...dare i say... texas.

may the football gods have mercy, sooner faithful...:eek:

Leroy Lizard
10/21/2007, 02:34 PM
Ball controll - up the middle every single play is not good play calling- sorry

But obviously good enough to win the game.

tbl
10/21/2007, 03:44 PM
Exactly. With our O-line, we SHOULD be able to run up the gut (like we did towards the end of the game). While there were some obvious coaching deficiencies yesterday, I still think the majority of the blame was on the players not executing. It takes an entire team to put together a craphole like that, from the Visor down to the backup kicker. Well... maybe the backup kicker gets a break.

cvsooner
10/21/2007, 04:52 PM
You just have to find a way to win, sometimes. We did that Saturday against ISU. It's a concern, yes, but this group seems to play to the level of their competition. It bit them at Colorado, when the Buffs were able to step it up and we couldn't stop them. When we did we turned the ball back over again, either on offense or muffing a punt. That didn't happen on Oct. 20 and it was the difference in the game.

WestAustinSooner
10/21/2007, 05:00 PM
Stop FUMBLING, and we win big.

josh09
10/21/2007, 05:15 PM
I think a bye week will fix all the kinks from yesterday.

CtheB
10/21/2007, 05:34 PM
Funny, but in the Big 10 (plus one), this game would have been considered a blowout. No matter who is playing.