PDA

View Full Version : CPR Smarteys

Rogue
10/20/2007, 07:35 AM
Why does the chest compression-to-breaths ratio change every few years?

Is this just random and meant to keep us on our toes during training? :confused:

AEDs are the stuff!

SoonerGirl06
10/20/2007, 09:18 AM
I think they just like to confuse the hell out of everyone, personally.

Seriously though new studies have shown that doing more chest compressions has better results and more benefits than doing equal parts of mouth to mouth. Something about keeping the electrical conductivity of the heart going as much as possible - if possible.

Rogue
10/20/2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah, it was a copycat thread. And, yeah, I seriously wondered about that. I actually still wonder. I wonder about the brain's oxygen supply with less breaths too.

THX, SRSLY. ;)

SoonerGirl06
10/20/2007, 11:15 AM
These copycat threads confuse me, Srsly. ;)

Vaevictis
10/20/2007, 11:30 AM
Yeah, it was a copycat thread. And, yeah, I seriously wondered about that. I actually still wonder. I wonder about the brain's oxygen supply with less breaths too.

I read an article on this not too long ago. Part of it has to do with the amount of air in the lungs you exchange on a normal breath -- it's very small compared to the overall capacity -- and when you're doing one of the CPR breaths, you're exchanging even less. So the current theory is that it's more important to ensure that whatever oxygen is available in the lungs/blood actually gets to the brain than it is to try to introduce new oxygen into the system.