PDA

View Full Version : Louisville just got Ducked

soonermeteor
10/20/2007, 03:13 AM
"UConn scored its first points on Larry Taylor's controversial 74-yard punt return. With the Huskies down 7-0 and 13 minutes left in the third quarter, Taylor settled under a 45-yard punt and appeared to call for a fair catch at the Connecticut 26. Replays showed Taylor putting up his right hand, and Louisville players stopped their pursuit as soon as he caught the ball. But Taylor sprinted left, then down the sideline and the referees didn't stop the play.

Louisville coach Steve Kragthorpe called a timeout before the extra point in an effort to get the officials to take another look, but after a consultation, they said a fair-catch signal isn't reviewable.

The official definition of a fair-catch signal in the rule book calls for a player to raise his hand above his head and wave it back and forth more than once, something Taylor didn't do.

"That wasn't no fair catch, that was a fair play out there," Taylor said. "The referee didn't call anything, he said it was a fair play. I felt I didn't fair catch it anyway."

I just watched the highlights on ESPN. Taylor clearly waved his arm in a loop while looking up to the sky at the ball. A Louisville defender slammed the breaks and got out of the way to avoid running into him, but Taylor takes off.
It was almost like UCONN planned it, that's how bad it was.

TMcGee86
10/20/2007, 08:38 AM
"That wasn't no fair catch"

I like how he conveniently uses a double negative here.

Sneaky bastid.

sooner518
10/20/2007, 08:43 AM
The good news for Louisville: they held somebody under 40 points.
The bad news: They didnt even score 20
Even worse news: One of their TDs was on a fumble return

EDIT - Just saw the play, and that is complete bull. I thought calling a fair catch and then running with it was a penalty. Everyone on the field stopped, UL and UConn players.

SoonerBOI
10/20/2007, 09:04 AM
The cards got ducked bigtime. He clearly waved, everybody stopped, he scored a TD.

bri
10/20/2007, 09:26 AM
Okay:

a) Can we stop referring to any bad call "getting Ducked"? It's inane and dorktarded. It was over a year ago; get over it. Every time someone scores on a punt return that has uncalled blocks in the back, do you call it "getting Huskered"? When someone's long winning streak gets broken, do you call it "getting Irished"?

b) Even if you are going to insist on being petulant six-year-olds for the rest of your lives about it, since it wasn't reviewed it doesn't even apply here. If you're going to be embarrassing to the rest of us, at least be consistent with it.

85sooners
10/20/2007, 09:28 AM
:(

LRoss
10/20/2007, 09:32 AM
I haven't seen it, but I'm in Louisville and happened to be listening on the radio in my car during that play. The announcers said he fair caught it, and then when he took off they were saying that there would be a penalty for attempting to advance after calling for a fair catch. When the play kept going (and they weren't even "calling" the runback, they legitimately didn't know what to do/say, and not at all in the "homer" radio guy way. Apparently it really was pretty bad.

There was apparently another strange play/call on a punt play later in the game, and when the officials were conferring the color guy said, with no inflection whatsoever, "I have no confidence that they're going to get this right." Hilarious.

And for what it's worth, I haven't talked to any fans since the game, but nobody here cares anymore anyway. After they lost to Utah all the Louisville fans just packed it up and started counting down to basketball season. We can't win here -- it's the insane/obnoxious/NO grasp on reality or the English language UK fans and the "I'm a hardcore UofL fan! Oh, they lost? Hey, let's go get a burrito!" Louisville fans. Argh.

OUinFLA
10/20/2007, 09:33 AM
Okay:

a) Can we stop referring to any bad call "getting Ducked"? It's inane and dorktarded. It was over a year ago; get over it. Every time someone scores on a punt return that has uncalled blocks in the back, do you call it "getting Huskered"? When someone's long winning streak gets broken, do you call it "getting Irished"?

b) Even if you are going to insist on being petulant six-year-olds for the rest of your lives about it, since it wasn't reviewed it doesn't even apply here. If you're going to be embarrassing to the rest of us, at least be consistent with it.

A) No, Yes, Yes.
B) Im trying to regain my youth, leave me alone!

SoonerMom2
10/20/2007, 10:01 AM
I saw the game and he put his hand up and everyone stopped and after he scored they were all dancing around. Was it done on purpose -- you betcha!

The announcers looked at the rule and even if he didn't wave his hand back and forth, it was an illegal fair catch signal and the play stops where he caught the ball.

Louisville got hosed by an official looking right at the kid that pulled the trick and yes I do believe it was a trick play. It is not a reviewable play. Bet if the Louisville player had hit the CT guy, he would have been penalized. What a crock!

As for being Ducked -- appropriate IMHO because there is no better example of a wrong call then that one.

swardboy
10/20/2007, 10:31 AM
Bri - 1
Us - 2

:pop:

sooner518
10/20/2007, 10:57 AM
if the UofL player had hit the returner, would there have been a penalty called? you can bet your *** there would have.

Widescreen
10/20/2007, 11:16 AM
If you're going to be embarrassing to the rest of us, at least be consistent with it.
You apparently embarrass easily in your old age.

Ground_Attack
10/20/2007, 11:38 AM
It all evened out when the refs blew the call on the punt that hit the UL player. UCONN recovered the ball on the UL 2 yard line and would have had first and goal but they gave the ball to UL on the 16 instead. What a poorly officiated game.

47Wins
10/20/2007, 11:54 AM
Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered Ducked, Irished, Huskered, etc. etc. and on and on forever and you can't stop me!

Frozen Sooner
10/21/2007, 05:35 PM
Hm. Wonder if UConn warned the referee that they were going to fake a fair catch signal.