PDA

View Full Version : #4 QB Recruit Verbally...

SleestakSooner
10/19/2007, 08:04 PM
Commits to Oklahoma. Landry Jones of Artesia High School just gave OU his verbal. He's ranked 32nd in the ESPN top 150 recruits and 4th in QB's listed.

Welcome to the Sooner family Landry.

Newbomb Turk
10/19/2007, 08:08 PM
Is this a new Landry Jones?

SOONER STEAKER
10/19/2007, 08:11 PM
Sameone, he's on ESPNU tonight playing.

Cam
10/19/2007, 08:11 PM
Thought he committed after the red-white game?

sitzpinkler
10/19/2007, 08:26 PM
um, this is really old news, he committed a long time ago....

Newbomb Turk
10/19/2007, 08:27 PM
I have a good source that says Adrian Peterson is going go commit to OU.

Dan Thompson
10/19/2007, 09:08 PM
Why would any QB comment to OU with Sam around? Or for that matter Nicoles(sp)?

Salt City Sooner
10/19/2007, 10:26 PM
At the half he's 20-22 (the incompletions were on a drop & a trap that was initially ruled a catch) for 252 yards & a TD, plus he's run for 2 others. It's going to be interesting to watch how he adjusts to the level of competition he'll face at OU because it's beyond obvious that what he's facing down there is WAY too easy.

soonerdave79
10/19/2007, 10:28 PM
We landed on the moon!!!;)

I have a good source that says Adrian Peterson is going go commit to OU.

Sweet:cool:

King Crimson
10/19/2007, 11:54 PM
i think he's enrolling at OU in January.

critical_phil
10/20/2007, 12:03 AM
i think he's enrolling at OU in January.

both of them?

goingoneight
10/20/2007, 01:13 AM
We're going to have a really cool quarterback competition next spring with a National Freshmen of the year, a seasoned sophomore stud and two guys with the same name from the same high school.

SleestakSooner
10/20/2007, 11:32 AM
WTF guys? Sorry if it is old news. I obviously don't keep up with recruiting much, just saw it on the ESPN ticker last night and thought I would pass on what I had just learned. Blame ESPN for making it look like new news.

Oh and if you are gonna neg someone please have a hammer that isn't slapping grey still. My hammer brings a bit of crimson out don't ya know?

Newbomb Turk
10/20/2007, 11:34 AM
Oh and if you are gonna neg someone please have a hammer that isn't slapping grey still. My hammer brings a bit of crimson out don't ya know?

OK - If you insist....

;)

soonerdave79
10/20/2007, 03:18 PM
WTF guys? Sorry if it is old news. I obviously don't keep up with recruiting much, just saw it on the ESPN ticker last night and thought I would pass on what I had just learned. Blame ESPN for making it look like new news.

I was just messin with ya man, thus the winky

wdupyall
10/22/2007, 12:56 PM
Why would any QB comment to OU with Sam around? Or for that matter Nicoles(sp)?

bc big time programs need more than one big time QB...a backup is only a play away at all times.

soonerdave79
10/22/2007, 05:56 PM
bc big time programs need more than one big time QB...a backup is only a play away at all times.

Absolutely. And even if Sam does stay healthy, Landry can still play 2 years if he redshirts.

Curly Bill
10/22/2007, 09:46 PM
These big-time guys often don't worry about who's already at a school they want to commit to. I think in many cases they just assume that they are, or will be, good enough to beat out whoever might already be there. How else to explain SUC with a dozen or so tailbacks, or OU for that matter with Patrick, and Brown, and Murray, and Madu, and now Calhoun coming in next year. All these guys think, and in some cases are even right, that they are too good to keep off the field.

BASSooner
10/23/2007, 09:45 AM
in other news

mike gundy is a MAN!!!! he's 40![hairGel]

Widescreen
10/23/2007, 09:51 AM
These big-time guys often don't worry about who's already at a school they want to commit to. I think in many cases they just assume that they are, or will be, good enough to beat out whoever might already be there. How else to explain SUC with a dozen or so tailbacks, or OU for that matter with Patrick, and Brown, and Murray, and Madu, and now Calhoun coming in next year. All these guys think, and in some cases are even right, that they are too good to keep off the field.
I'm sure that's true, but QB is a different animal. Only one typically plays. With RB's, you can be 3rd string and get several carries a game. I would think even the most confident QB's would be extremely wary of depth chart issues.

Desert Sapper
10/23/2007, 11:45 AM
I'm sure our coaches are hyping (if you can call it that) the fact that we have often had to dredge for QBs due to injury (or some form of dumbassery).

Curly Bill
10/23/2007, 02:17 PM
I'm sure that's true, but QB is a different animal. Only one typically plays. With RB's, you can be 3rd string and get several carries a game. I would think even the most confident QB's would be extremely wary of depth chart issues.

ND signed the "greatest high school QB of all time" last year in Clausen ;) ;) . Come to find out he may actually suck, but that's another story...but before we knew that might be the case, they already had another one lined up for this year in Dayne Crist (I think it is) who is also super highly rated.

Sometimes I think they just prefer a certain school and are going there no matter who else is already there. QB or not

SleestakSooner
10/31/2007, 03:11 PM
ND signed the "greatest high school QB of all time" last year in Clausen ;) ;) . Come to find out he may actually suck, but that's another story...but before we knew that might be the case, they already had another one lined up for this year in Dayne Crist (I think it is) who is also super highly rated.

Sometimes I think they just prefer a certain school and are going there no matter who else is already there. QB or not

I'll be your huckelberry. :texan:

Newbomb Turk
12/9/2007, 09:50 AM
from The Oklahoman, 12/9/07

Bradford's record season won't deter Sooners' recruit

By Blake Jackson
Staff Writer
NORMAN — Sam Bradford's record-setting freshman season will not deter quarterback commit Landry Jones from attending Oklahoma. In fact, Jones will arrive in Norman not long after Bradford and the Sooners return from the Fiesta Bowl.
"He's sold on the program, that's why he's coming in at semester,” said Cooper Henderson, Jones' coach at Artesia (N.M.) High.

Back in July, before OU named Bradford its starting quarterback, Jones said he expected to compete for the Sooners' starting job from the get-go.

But Bradford's success in 2007 has all but ensured Jones — the nation's No. 3-rated passer according to ESPN.com — will redshirt his freshman season, despite the early entry.

"I'm sure some things have passed through his mind, but there's no change in him,” Henderson said. "He's very realistic and very determined.”

Jones passed for 329 yards and seven touchdowns as Artesia captured its second-consecutive Class 4A state championship Saturday, defeating Roswell Goddard High 58-31.

Jones is New Mexico's top football prospect since Brian Urlacher finished his career with 6,942 passing yards and 88 touchdowns.
"That's one of the things that attracted Landry to OU,” Henderson said. "The success and tradition carry over from what he's been able to do in high school.”

Jones' parents are committed to Oklahoma, too. So much so, they've purchased a home in the Norman area.
Several family members hail from the Sooner state.
"The family is in transition,” Henderson said. "They don't want to be over-involved parents, but they will have a chance to see Landry play.”

Jones will join OU commits Daniel Franklin and Jermie Calhoun on the field for ESPN's Under Armour All-America Game on Jan. 5. The game airs at 1 p.m. on ABC (Cox 8).

insuranceman_22
12/9/2007, 02:44 PM

By Blake Jackson
Staff Writer
NORMAN — Sam Bradford's record-setting freshman season will not deter quarterback commit Landry Jones from attending Oklahoma. In fact, Jones will arrive in Norman not long after Bradford and the Sooners return from the Fiesta Bowl.
"He's sold on the program, that's why he's coming in at semester,” said Cooper Henderson, Jones' coach at Artesia (N.M.) High.

Back in July, before OU named Bradford its starting quarterback, Jones said he expected to compete for the Sooners' starting job from the get-go.

But Bradford's success in 2007 has all but ensured Jones — the nation's No. 3-rated passer according to ESPN.com — will redshirt his freshman season, despite the early entry.

"I'm sure some things have passed through his mind, but there's no change in him,” Henderson said. "He's very realistic and very determined.”

Jones passed for 329 yards and seven touchdowns as Artesia captured its second-consecutive Class 4A state championship Saturday, defeating Roswell Goddard High 58-31.

Jones is New Mexico's top football prospect since Brian Urlacher finished his career with 6,942 passing yards and 88 touchdowns.
"That's one of the things that attracted Landry to OU,” Henderson said. "The success and tradition carry over from what he's been able to do in high school.”

Jones' parents are committed to Oklahoma, too. So much so, they've purchased a home in the Norman area.
"The family is in transition,” Henderson said. "They don't want to be over-involved parents, but they will have a chance to see Landry play.”

Jones will join OU commits Daniel Franklin and Jermie Calhoun on the field for ESPN's Under Armour All-America Game on Jan. 5. The game airs at 1 p.m. on ABC (Cox 8).

Nice

King Crimson
12/9/2007, 05:28 PM

By Blake Jackson
Staff Writer

the wierd thing is CU fans are still convinced that Jones will de-committ and be a Buff. i tell them that Jones is starting school at OU in January....but it doesn't matter.

Newbomb Turk
12/9/2007, 05:37 PM
why would Jones go to CU with the mighty Hawkins Jr. there?

King Crimson
12/9/2007, 05:42 PM
why would Jones go to CU with the mighty Hawkins Jr. there?

yeah, that's part of it too. he and Sam have the same eligibility. right?

i gave up on trying to understand CU fans a LONG time ago.

OU-HSV
12/9/2007, 06:05 PM

By Blake Jackson
Staff Writer

Nice read, thanks for posting.

pardon the interREDtion
12/12/2007, 10:39 PM
Can't have too many qb's, needless to say after what happened the last few years after Grady/Bomar nonsense. Also, did anyone think SamB would work out this well.

Curly Bill
12/12/2007, 10:43 PM
Also, did anyone think SamB would work out this well.

Knew it all along, you saying you didn't? :D

UpstateSooner
12/13/2007, 12:16 AM
I know that this isn't on the subject of Jones but I can't start a new thread yet. But what commit did we just lose. I got on yesterday and we had 16 commits and then today we have 15. Might have been posted but I never saw it anywhere...thanks.

Curly Bill
12/13/2007, 12:26 AM
I know that this isn't on the subject of Jones but I can't start a new thread yet. But what commit did we just lose. I got on yesterday and we had 16 commits and then today we have 15. Might have been posted but I never saw it anywhere...thanks.

Jeff Fuller says he's going to atm now...

...and Markelle Martin has withrew his verbal and is open again

UpstateSooner
12/13/2007, 12:28 AM
Ok, thanks. it was the Martin de-commitment that i didnt know about. and how long do i have to wait until i can start my own threads?

Curly Bill
12/13/2007, 12:36 AM
Ok, thanks. it was the Martin de-commitment that i didnt know about. and how long do i have to wait until i can start my own threads?

Not really sure, I think it may be after 100 posts. That's actually kinda good, gives you a chance to hang out, see how things work on here, etc..before being able to start your own. If you haven't been on here a while observing before registering, you might not know how "cut-throat" it can be on here at times...especially for new posters. Good luck ;)

birddog
12/13/2007, 12:42 AM
and arthur brown a couple of weeks ago.

insuranceman_22
12/13/2007, 01:06 AM
I sort of understand that Fuller had a lot of a&m kool aid, but with our QB situation for the next few years.....why did he pick a&m? New coach, new offense, but still. We've got a stallion Frosh. at the helm and several to back him up to distribute the ball. There are still several big time WR available, I won't be surprised to see us land one or two in this class.

Sooner FLiP
12/14/2007, 02:55 PM
the wierd thing is CU fans are still convinced that Jones will de-committ and be a Buff. i tell them that Jones is starting school at OU in January....but it doesn't matter.

if the article is true about his parents buying a house in OK, i would be ****ed if i were Landry's parents and he decided to go to CU.

sitzpinkler
12/14/2007, 03:05 PM
and arthur brown a couple of weeks ago.

he was never comitted to us

swardboy
12/14/2007, 04:01 PM
"Dayne Crist" at Notre Dame? That's just too good to be true. Perfect name for a ND qb.

soonerdave79
12/14/2007, 04:33 PM
"Dayne Crist" at Notre Dame? That's just too good to be true. Perfect name for a ND qb.

Endless headline opportunities

OU4LIFE
12/16/2007, 10:38 AM
I'm pretty sure we'll lose Nichol to a transfer next year, I think there's a pretty good reason you didn't see him get ANY time after the first couple of games.