PDA

View Full Version : DVR smarteys

sanantoniosooner
10/19/2007, 07:00 PM
I have about 80 hours of OU football I need to move from my DVR to DVD. It's a JVC unit that uses mpeg2 format according to the front of the case.

I have a DVD burner on my laptop that I have never used for that purpose.

What is it going to take for me to get that stuff from the DVR to my laptop and to burn it onto DVDs?

I am willing to spend money on software if necessary, but not a ridiculous amount. I'm saving up for a cello you know. If someone needs more info to give the right advice, I'll post it asap.

Newbomb Turk
10/19/2007, 07:20 PM
I'll need more info.

SoonerBorn68
10/19/2007, 08:06 PM
I bought an 80GB HD DVD recorder. I record the game from the DVR to the HD recorder in real time. The HD recorder will burn a DVD in file mode in about 10 minutes.

Sooner_Bob
10/19/2007, 09:32 PM
I bought an 80GB HD DVD recorder. I record the game from the DVR to the HD recorder in real time. The HD recorder will burn a DVD in file mode in about 10 minutes.

Is this a Directv DVR that you rip the game from?

sanantoniosooner
10/19/2007, 09:48 PM
I'll need more info.
The case to the DVR is black.

sanantoniosooner
10/19/2007, 09:51 PM
80 hours of real time scares the crap out of me. I was hoping to just transfer files if I could.

Sooner_Bob
10/19/2007, 10:00 PM
80 hours of real time scares the crap out of me. I was hoping to just transfer files if I could.

Could you just do a few games at a time over night . . . or one game at a time?

I guess another option would be to buy an HD video capture card and install it on your PC, grab a big hard drive and copy them over that way. It would be in real time as well, but you wouldn't have to worry about swapping out disks.

sanantoniosooner
10/19/2007, 10:05 PM
If I have to do this in real time I'd like to edit out commercials and unnecessary footage. I'm not sure I want to go to the trouble though.

Sooner_Bob
10/19/2007, 10:24 PM
That could be a little tedious for sure.

OCUDad
10/19/2007, 10:28 PM
If I have to do this in real time I'd like to edit out commercials and unnecessary footage. I'm not sure I want to go to the trouble though.That's not possible if the case is black.

Getem
10/19/2007, 11:17 PM
With the Motorola boxes that Cox uses, you can pull the data out (realtime) through the firewire output. Then you need some software to edit and reencode to DVD. I use various open source tools on Linux (avidemux, transcode, mencoder), but commercial stuff may be easier to use. Maybe Ulead, Pinnacle or Nero. Not sure about your black box. I'm almost positive you aren't going to be able to just pull the files off, although I've heard that is possible with some Tivo boxes.

critical_phil
10/19/2007, 11:59 PM
ask soonerus.

he knows everything.

sanantoniosooner
10/20/2007, 07:29 AM
ask soonerus.

he knows everything.
I thought so.........but he changed his mind about Gundy's rant. If he was wrong once, he can be wrong again.

Newbomb Turk
10/20/2007, 10:17 AM
The case to the DVR is black.

black case?!...that makes it difficult.

SoonerBorn68
10/20/2007, 10:26 AM
If I have to do this in real time I'd like to edit out commercials and unnecessary footage. I'm not sure I want to go to the trouble though.

The HD recorder I bought has the ability to edit but it's done with the remote & it's a bitch. I decided the easier way was to record the playback game which cuts out half time. It's worked so far & the only things they edit are timeouts/injures/delays.

But yes, it's time consuming.

SoonerBorn68
10/20/2007, 10:30 AM
Is this a Directv DVR that you rip the game from?

Yep. I just use RCA cables to connect them.

I have a new DirecTV HD DVR at home. I got it the last time I was home & haven't really gotten to play with it. The installer dude told me the USB port could be used to export content to a external HD. I asked what format it was in but he didn't know. Hopefully it's in some codec that can be changed to mp2 or mp4. I'll do some research & find out for sure.

OklaPony
10/20/2007, 11:35 AM
With the Motorola boxes that Cox uses, you can pull the data out (realtime) through the firewire output. Then you need some software to edit and reencode to DVD. I use various open source tools on Linux (avidemux, transcode, mencoder), but commercial stuff may be easier to use. Maybe Ulead, Pinnacle or Nero. Not sure about your black box. I'm almost positive you aren't going to be able to just pull the files off, although I've heard that is possible with some Tivo boxes.
Motorola? My Cox HD-DVR is SA.

OUTromBoNado
10/20/2007, 09:26 PM
If you can pull the files straight from the DVR to the laptop, that's the easy part. To go from the MPEG-2 to DVD format can be very complicated. I'm about halfway down with putting my favorites games from 2000-2004 from VHS to DVD. I used an old computer that NP and Badger gave me to build a DVR box.

I used a program called VideoReDo to cut out commercials. It costs ~$50 but was worth it. That's the only program that I use to get the games to DVD that costs money. All the others I have are free.

It is a tedious process. Cut out the commercials, demux the movie, author the DVD. It sounds bad, but once you get the process down it's pretty easy.

You can skip cutting out the commercials, but you still have to demux the movie and author the DVD.