PDA

View Full Version : OU Email Server & Spam

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/19/2007, 04:55 PM
I have an OU Alumni email account that I was redirecting to an AOL account. Last night I opened a Gmail account and redirected my OU emails there.

Today I have 74 emails and they are all spam. Grrr.

colleyvillesooner
10/19/2007, 05:01 PM
Dude, that guy in Nigeria REALLY needs your help.

mdklatt
10/19/2007, 05:14 PM
I have an OU Alumni email account that I was redirecting to an AOL account. Last night I opened a Gmail account and redirected my OU emails there.

Today I have 74 emails and they are all spam. Grrr.

This doesn't have anything to do with the OU e-mail server. As far as I know, the alumni.ou.edu addresses are merely forwards. It sounds like Gmail is the culprit.

afs
10/19/2007, 06:40 PM
I've got an OU email address w/ my master's program and am having the same problems.

rufnek05
10/19/2007, 06:42 PM
I never had spam problems untill last spring.

GottaHavePride
10/19/2007, 07:35 PM
Log in to the OU Exchange account with IE (not Firefox, you don't get full contol options with Firefox. Stupid ActiveX crap...)

Go into your user options and tell it to filter spam. That option is NOT default set to on. That will stop 95% of the problem. Seriously.

VeeJay
10/19/2007, 09:19 PM
Did you get your check for $12,000 from Bill Gates?

GottaHavePride
10/19/2007, 09:23 PM
No. Srsly - when you use Firefox there's this box labeled "Use Outlook Web Access Light" that you can't un-check, and it doesn't give you access to your user options. When the OU servers shifted to MS Exchange I was getting about 75 spam mails a day until I logged in with IE to change that crap; now I don't get any spam on my OU account.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/21/2007, 08:09 AM
Log in to the OU Exchange account with IE (not Firefox, you don't get full contol options with Firefox. Stupid ActiveX crap...)

Go into your user options and tell it to filter spam. That option is NOT default set to on. That will stop 95% of the problem. Seriously.I don't even know where to go to do that.

yermom
10/21/2007, 08:23 AM
he is probably giving you bad info ;)

you aren't on the OU server at all with the alumni addess, it's just a forward. there is no OU mailbox associated with it if it's something like [email protected]

have you used that address to sign up for anything? is it on a webpage anywhere?

ChickSoonerFan
10/21/2007, 09:08 AM
My Gmail account is full of spam constantly, all the time, it is crazy. I get about 75 spam mails a day. Seriously. They mostly go to a spam folder though and I don't even check it, I just delete the whole thing when I log in, which is only about once a month or less because I can't stand anything about Gmail.

PLUS, somehow they scan your emails. If you type something in an email, then the ads on your screen start matching something you typed. That is too strange and freaks me out a bit.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/21/2007, 10:03 AM
I had always heard good things about gmail. I haven't given the address out yet. Maybe I'll just try another free provider. I'm sure a lot of the spam comes from giving the alumni email out to so many places.

ChickSoonerFan
10/21/2007, 01:00 PM
I just logged into check it, I don't even use it anymore because there is so much spam. I had about 2 months worth of emails and there were 822 emails in my spam folder and 76 emails in my regular folder that are almost all spam too.

But now I just use that email for anything I sign up for that I think will generate spam, so that may be why it is so bad.

And I find it hard to read too.

GottaHavePride
10/21/2007, 01:10 PM
That's going to be true of ANY e-mail account you use to sign up for spam-generators. My gmail account gets almost no spam e-mails. My aol account gets almost nothing BUT spam.