PDA

View Full Version : I need recommendations for a project

royalfan5
10/19/2007, 11:41 AM
My roommate and I have decided that we are going to spend a day drinking and watching Westerns. I'm figuring we will watch roughly 6 movies. The Magnificent Seven, and High Plains Drifter have been picked for two of the spots. What other 4 Westerns should be included.(Although there is a good chance that the we will be drunk enough to think Paint Your Wagon is a good idea for the last movie)

IB4OU2
10/19/2007, 11:51 AM
The Searchers

OCUDad
10/19/2007, 11:54 AM
Tombstone

soonerboy_odanorth
10/19/2007, 11:56 AM
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (last and best, IMO, of Sergio Leone and Eastwood's the man with no name trilogy)

My Darling Clementine (Henry Fonda in the John Ford version of the OK Corral. It's very good.)

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (This one should be a must. Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, Lee Marvin. It is teh awesome.)

One of these three:
Fort Apache
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Rio Grande
(They are very similar movies, in fact Rio Grande is a follow-up of sorts to Fort Apache, all John Ford-John Wayne centering on the U.S. Calvalry in the West during the Indian campaigns. Each involves a femme fatale long separated from Wayne's character, undertones of post-Civil War tension, and featuring a drunken Irish seargeant played with gusto in each by Victor McGlaglen.)

High Noon (Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly in one of the all-time greats, and perhaps most imitated Western of all, especially in Eastwood works. In fact, Outland, the sci-fi movie staring Sean Connery is a quite good re-make of High Noon set on a moon of Jupiter.)

True Grit (Wayne's only Oscar, and a fabulous supporting cast.)

Stagecoach (Wayne's breakout movie that really brought the genre to new heights.)

The Searchers (I agree, it is really really good. Though I've always found it to be a wee bit overrated. I still enjoy True Grit more.)

Unforgiven (I think a lot of people look at this one as overrated. I don't. It's a brutally stark piece that probably, while still stretching some truths about the West, hits home runs in a lot of other facets.)

Pick one:
Pale Rider (Basically The Man With No Name does High Noon. Arguments persist about whether or not The Preacher is a ghost.)
The Outlaw Jose Wales (Quirky, but one of the more fun Eastwood Westerns)

Silverado (The movie largely credited with resurrecting the genre. It is absolutely by the numbers. But there are some great characters. I like Scott Glen in about everything he does, and check out John Cleese as the corrupt sherriff.)

Dances with Wolves (I know, overhyped, people are sick of Kevin Costner, etc. But this still is a really good movie.)

Lonsome Dove (It would eat up a good portion of your day to watch it. But it is worth it. Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall are awesome.)

Tombstone (I'll second that. It's just too much fun not to have on the list... "I'm your huckleberry..."...)

Sounds like a fun day...

soonervegas
10/19/2007, 12:04 PM
High Noon

King Crimson
10/19/2007, 12:05 PM
Red River

Good Bad Ugly

OKC-SLC
10/19/2007, 12:06 PM
Blazing Saddles x6

SteelClip49
10/19/2007, 12:11 PM
Wild Wild West with Will Smith.

badger
10/19/2007, 12:24 PM
THAT is your project? Watching westerns?! Here I was about to suggest putting together a framed picture with Sooner football games or something :mad:

Uhm... watch Back to the Future Part 3. Spoiler warning: They go back to the future.

Mjcpr
10/19/2007, 12:25 PM
Brokeback Mountain

Condescending Sooner
10/19/2007, 12:50 PM
My suggestion. You and your roommate get a life.

royalfan5
10/19/2007, 01:05 PM
My suggestion. You and your roommate get a life.
Yeah, I bet we could tell people what they could do on the innerweb. Thanks for the suggestion.

MamaMia
10/19/2007, 01:41 PM
McLintock is my all time favorite. You have to watch McLintock. :D

Curly Bill
10/19/2007, 02:02 PM
Unforgiven...simply the best ever...love that ending.

The Outlaw Josie Wales...A classic

The Quick and the Dead..Gene Hackman, Sharon Stone (Yowza) Sort of unrealistic but entertaining.

Mixer!
10/19/2007, 02:02 PM
The War Wagon

Flagstaffsooner
10/19/2007, 02:08 PM
The Shootist, JW's final and greatest perfomance.

colleyvillesooner
10/19/2007, 02:15 PM
Well....Bye.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/19/2007, 04:02 PM
You know my brain is on short wave today... I forgot to mention two important ones:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Great scenes, cinematography, and chemistry of the 3 principles, but I always found the pacing a bit disjointed, and hated the stupid bike-riding scene.)

The Wild Bunch (Just make this one one of your six, it is teh awesome.)

Condescending Sooner
10/19/2007, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I bet we could tell people what they could do on the innerweb. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hey, you asked.

IB4OU2
10/19/2007, 04:22 PM
Oh! I forgot-

Little Big Man, you'll love it!

Am I dead yet?

proud gonzo
10/19/2007, 04:25 PM
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Frisco Kid
Blazing Saddles
McLintock!
Support Your Local Sheriff
Quigley Down Under
City Slickers
Desperado

GottaHavePride
10/19/2007, 07:30 PM
Oh, dude, Quigley Down Under is freakin' awesome.

I don't know that Desperado qualifies as a Western.

The Man From Snowy River sorta does, though.

handcrafted
10/19/2007, 07:34 PM
said project sounds a little too Lid-ish for my tastes...but have fun!

:D

GottaHavePride
10/19/2007, 07:37 PM
Oh, and Tombstone wins, hands down.

The last one you need to watch is Blazing Saddles, though. That is a non-negotiable part of this plan.

http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/saddles/images/toll.jpg

Someone's gonna have to go back and get a ****load of dimes!

proud gonzo
10/19/2007, 09:52 PM
Oh, dude, Quigley Down Under is freakin' awesome.

I don't know that Desperado qualifies as a Western.

The Man From Snowy River sorta does, though.it has guns and badassness and...i don't know. mexico's all dusty and ****. that has to count for something.

Three Amigos is a Western, right? :D

royalfan5
10/20/2007, 12:15 AM
Hey, you asked.
You are the only one not able to constructively contribute to the thread.

critical_phil
10/20/2007, 12:21 AM
The Cherokee Kid

ywia

SoonerGirl06
10/20/2007, 12:43 AM
McLintock is my all time favorite. You have to watch McLintock. :D

Most definately YES! It's my all time favorite John Wayne movie.

Very entertaining. One of the best IMO.

The Sons of Katie Elder is another good one.

WILBURJIM
10/20/2007, 09:51 AM
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly is must. It's has one of the best behind the scene's stories.

Filmed in Spain, by the Italian director Sergio Leone, their differing language presented a problem in the worst way. Spain's government would not permit Leone to blow up a bridge(a key scene in the movie), unless they did it themselves. Apparently they did not want too many Italians in their country handling explosives. Well, after all the explosives were set, Leone was setting up camera angles and such, when the commander in charge of detonation not understanding the Italian being spoken, thought he was told to go ahead with the detonation. Of course, none of this explosion was caught on film and a few people were a bit too close to this explosion for safety sake. The Spaniards were so embarrassed about the premature explosion, that they rebuilt the bridge themselves and blew it up a second time.

Ennio Morricone's score is one of the best ever. Even sounds good on ukulele:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3gp7B8WC4Q

Howzit
10/20/2007, 10:47 AM
True Grit

Two Mules for Sister Sarah