PDA

View Full Version : Ooo la la pays fired black coach $2 mil

badger
10/19/2007, 10:49 AM
Ex-coach wins discrimination lawsuit (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3070227)

He lost 80 percent of his games, but then again, it's U-La la and are expected to lose 80 percent of their games. The team had a 6-27 record, attendance was terrible.

So, what is a program supposed to do? Did paying this guy $2 million actually save them money in the long run through ticket sales and the chance to win and go to bowl games?

Quite honestly, I think programs would love to give minority coaches a chance to succeed. It's one thing to win a Super Bowl, but to win it with a minority coach like Tony Dungy? That means more, somehow. If Coach Karl or Coach Tyrone were to lead their teams to the Pac 10 title, it would mean more than Pete Carroll or Mike Stoops leading USC or AZ to a title, despite these teams being great or historically bad.

It would be great for recruiting and for a university to succeed with a minority coach, not only from the fact that they won a lot, but also the fact that they gave the guy a chance that programs historically haven't.

Discouraging for future minority coaches in Louisiana?

yermom
10/19/2007, 10:57 AM
well, i'd be less likely to hire a black coach if it meant i couldn't fire him because he sucked

Blues1
10/19/2007, 11:04 AM
Good Ole USA -- WIN _ WIN _WIN or Sue - Sue - Sue ...... :)

It all started when then Burned their Bras ...... :)

Tulsa_Fireman
10/19/2007, 11:08 AM
It all started when then Burned their Bras

Black men are known for burning their bra?

Blues1
10/19/2007, 11:10 AM
Black men are known for burning their bra?

NO way -- Just saying the country took a Major Shift back at that time....
Still Rockin' - probably taking heat on that post..... :)

badger
10/19/2007, 11:11 AM

Whatever, don't blame this on chicks who can't even play football, let alone coach it :rolleyes:

I could probably work as a football analyst. You don't need to be able to coach (Lee Corso) or play (the list is numerous) to be able to do that! All you have to do is b!tch, and I think a REAL b!tch would be an expert at b!tching :D:D:D

I think this lawsuit, after the "justice is served" period is over, reality will set in. Nobody will hire a coach that sues their employer over discrimination (or that decreases attendance and loses most of their games). There are talented coaches, regardless of racial background, that can win and be a credit to their university. This will make it more difficult for minority coaches in that area to be considered for a head coaching job.

Even if the NCAA tries to make the Black Coaches Association shut up by having a similar rule to the NFL's (interview at least one minority candidate for a head coach's job), that will have minimal effect.

Applause. The system works, the cycle continues :mad:

snp
10/19/2007, 11:12 AM
Minority coaches are their own worst enemies.

badger
10/19/2007, 11:15 AM
Minority coaches are their own worst enemies.
To be fair, every head coaching job has a lot of pressure to go with a lot of money. Football programs are so important to universities - they make alumni interested, they bring students in, they bring schools together. As such, they need somebody they can rely on to bring in the millions, students and togetherness. It would be wise to not choose a Callahan, Franchione or *************** ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
10/19/2007, 11:44 AM
I would say that going from a coach to a minister says something about his desire or ability to coach at D1 level...

MojoRisen
10/19/2007, 12:28 PM
All they have to do is draw up better contracts so they have the right to fire if certain goals aren't reached.

Black or Indian with Leprosy - if you suck you suck and should not be able to sue and bring down America with frivolous lawsuits and the hiring of blood thirsty lawyers. The school was dumb for this- if they can't fire someone with a 6-27 record and dwindling attendance they should be ashamed of themselves.

MamaMia
10/19/2007, 01:35 PM
Whatever, don't blame this on chicks who can't even play football, let alone coach it :rolleyes:

I could probably work as a football analyst. You don't need to be able to coach (Lee Corso) or play (the list is numerous) to be able to do that! All you have to do is b!tch, and I think a REAL b!tch would be an expert at b!tching :D:D:D

I personally, could pick Mark May apart. :pop:

Landthief 1972
10/19/2007, 01:40 PM
The issue isn't lawsuits - the issue is activist judges who allow frivolous suits like this to get to court in the first place. A close second are corporations/universities that settle out of court, even when they're in the right —they're just encouraging the behavior.

Stoop Dawg
10/19/2007, 01:40 PM
Quite honestly, I think programs would love to give minority coaches a chance to succeed. It's one thing to win a Super Bowl, but to win it with a minority coach like Tony Dungy? That means more, somehow. If Coach Karl or Coach Tyrone were to lead their teams to the Pac 10 title, it would mean more than Pete Carroll or Mike Stoops leading USC or AZ to a title, despite these teams being great or historically bad.

Why? Because minority coaches aren't as good?

I'm not buying this whole "black coaches don't get a chance" BS. Does anyone really believe that Nebraska won't hire the person that gives them the best chance at returning to national prominance, regardless of the color of their skin? Seriously?

Dan Thompson
10/19/2007, 01:46 PM
I'm still waiting for Al Sharpton(sp) to applogize to the Duke LaCrosse players.

Jeopardude
10/19/2007, 01:47 PM
The points he won on were the white coaches before and after him had a higher marketing budget and had a coach's TV show. So he wasn't treated equally at a state institution. 

It was a discrimination, not wrongful termination, suit. Now excuse me, I have to go burn a bra.

Animal Mother
10/19/2007, 01:56 PM

Who is then? Is she well you know.... Does she have big briquets ???

TheHumanAlphabet
10/19/2007, 03:14 PM
The points he won on were the white coaches before and after him had a higher marketing budget and had a coach's TV show. So he wasn't treated equally at a state institution.

He may have had a point on the marketing deal, but aren't coaches shows extra-curricula and not part of the compensation package normally. Why would they hire a guy and not support him as well as possible to market the program? I could understand the coaches show deal. OUtside people set up the show and find advertisers, if no adverts, no or little show.

badger
10/19/2007, 03:16 PM
Why? Because minority coaches aren't as good?

I'm not buying this whole "black coaches don't get a chance" BS. Does anyone really believe that Nebraska won't hire the person that gives them the best chance at returning to national prominance, regardless of the color of their skin? Seriously?
No, because minority coaches haven't traditionally had the chances that white coaches have had... and the same goes for players, although that's been turned around. I'm not talking about right now - programs are more apt to give minority coaches a chance, but historically, they haven't had the same opportunity, and that's why the NFL has that rule now about minority candidates.

In any event, Nebraska can go one of two routes - one, they hire a coach with a proven track record with a lot of experience as a head coach, which will likely be a white coach. Or, they can seek a rising star from the assistant rankings, which could be a white or minority coach. They chose the first route last time and we all see how well that went :D:D:D

I think their best bet would be to choose a rising star that has Dr. Osborne's approval. That's how we got Stoops. Whether its a minority or not, well, I think there's qualified white and minority candidates for the job. However, they will need more patience with this one. Not every rising star coach can turn it around in one or two seasons :D:D:D

royalfan5
10/19/2007, 03:20 PM
No, because minority coaches haven't traditionally had the chances that white coaches have had... and the same goes for players, although that's been turned around. I'm not talking about right now - programs are more apt to give minority coaches a chance, but historically, they haven't had the same opportunity, and that's why the NFL has that rule now about minority candidates.

In any event, Nebraska can go one of two routes - one, they hire a coach with a proven track record with a lot of experience as a head coach, which will likely be a white coach. Or, they can seek a rising star from the assistant rankings, which could be a white or minority coach. They chose the first route last time and we all see how well that went :D:D:D

I think their best bet would be to choose a rising star that has Dr. Osborne's approval. That's how we got Stoops. Whether its a minority or not, well, I think there's qualified white and minority candidates for the job. However, they will need more patience with this one. Not every rising star coach can turn it around in one or two seasons :D:D:DI wouldn't say Callahan was that experienced of a head coach. He had only ran his own show for two seasons. If Houston Dale Nutt gets on the plane, that's hiring an experienced head coach.

On a side note, how bad of a lawyer do have to be for people to believe the attorneys of a 6-27 coach over you?

badger
10/19/2007, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't say Callahan was that experienced of a head coach. He had only ran his own show for two seasons. If Houston Dale Nutt gets on the plane, that's hiring an experienced head coach.

On a side note, how bad of a lawyer do have to be for people to believe the attorneys of a 6-27 coach over you?
He had valid points, but football fans all know the only college in Louisiana that will ever be successful at football is LSU... and possibly Tulane. They have "U-La-Pick 'em" in the ESPN.com Bottom 10 for a reason :D

OKC-SLC
10/19/2007, 04:24 PM
The result of this suit, based on the information presented in the article, disgusts me.

soonerx
10/19/2007, 05:05 PM
This is ridiculous. If they were discriminating against him they wouldn't have hired him in the first place. Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't.

MojoRisen
10/19/2007, 05:10 PM
I am done with it - if they don't sign reasonable contract - not hirning minority....

If they can- I would!

bluedogok
10/19/2007, 09:43 PM
I prefer to call them U-Laugh.....

handcrafted
10/19/2007, 09:49 PM
The issue isn't lawsuits - the issue is activist judges who allow frivolous suits like this to get to court in the first place. A close second are corporations/universities that settle out of court, even when they're in the right —they're just encouraging the behavior.

It's all about the Benjamins. Pay $100,000 to your ex-employee or $500,000 to your lawyers and maybe lose the trial anyway and pony up an additional million.

Most business people know what side of their bread is buttered.

Crucifax Autumn
10/20/2007, 02:35 AM
mmmmm...butter!

Stoop Dawg
10/21/2007, 01:24 PM

So historically minorities weren't given the same chances, but now they are? Yet the NFL still has a stupid rule saying you have to interview a minority candidate? Do you really think that such a rule actually makes said minority candidate a real candidate? All it really does is increase racial tensions by giving minorities a perceived advantage in the hiring process. How would you like to walk into an interview where you knew the only reason you were there is because the company had to interview you? Would you view that as an advantage or a disadvantage?

IMO, as long as society keeps lowering expectations of minorities the minorities will keep meeting those low expectations. You say that it would be "special" for a minority coach to win - why? It's exactly that kind of thinking (lowered expectations) that is, in fact, racist.

As Judge Roberts pointed out recently, the only way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race!