PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 Champ Game - Curse or Blessing...??

Blues1
10/19/2007, 10:28 AM
I know I'm jumping the gun here - BUT-We all know Big 10 and Pac 10 don't worry about any Championship games...Looks to me -IF- We want this years Big 12 Champ game to be a Blessing we better Root for The Jayhawks to Win out --- Watching The Sooners play Colorado or Mizzou again to most of the nation and pollsters would probably be a ho-hum game..(except for Big 12 Fans) --- Just thinking out loud --- I know one game at a time - But being a Sooner Fan it's hard not to look into the future......:eek:

If I was a normal person --- I wouldn't be here posting ----- :)

Everybody Keep Rockin' --- The Door is open - Lets Go get Number 8 --- BOOMER SOOOOOOONER ......!!!!!

AZSOONER
10/19/2007, 10:32 AM
I'm rooting for them anyway just because, but it would be better for us if they were undefeated.

kevpks
10/19/2007, 10:35 AM
I love going to the game. However, I for one don't like the idea of a team with a 4-4 conference record winning the title over a team that was clearly better all season just because they got hot for one night, as can happen in the current setup. Although, if the Big 10 and Pac 10 would get on board, or at least add an extra conference game, I wouldn't be as annoyed by it.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/19/2007, 10:43 AM
Its only good if OU is in it and we win against someone we haven't played. Otherwise it does no good.

85sooners
10/19/2007, 10:44 AM
blessing (this year)

PDXsooner
10/19/2007, 10:46 AM
it can work either way. this year it's good because OU needs another decent win to stack up to other potential one loss teams. let's face it, the big 12 isn't that great this year. it's not terrible, there just aren't any teams that would qualify as "great" wins. texas does (perception at least).

yermom
10/19/2007, 10:46 AM
it has yet to hurt us, really

OKC-SLC
10/19/2007, 10:47 AM
I was about to post the exact thing.

humblesooner
10/19/2007, 10:48 AM
As long as you win it, it is good.
Regardless of the opponent's record, in the current environment of the BCS formulas, a win is a win.
The only time it is not good is if the NC contender loses, in all reality, they should be out.
If you can't win that game, you should be dropped IMO.
As long as we know our requirements up front, then all we can do is win games.

Widescreen
10/19/2007, 10:54 AM
Well, in 2003 it didn't prevent us from going to the Sugar Bowl but it did prevent us from winning another B12 championship. Without the B12CCG, we'd have had another one.

Curly Bill
10/19/2007, 11:06 AM
It sucks!!! While I agree this year it could potentially help us, in general I think it's just a possible stumbling block that some of the other big powers don't face in their conferences.

Having said that it's not going away because of one thing...$$$$$$$$

Texas Golfer
10/19/2007, 11:10 AM

On paper, it may not have hurt us. But, in reality, maybe so.

Going into the CCG, we were touted the best team ever assembled. We had a terrible game against KSU and I think the residual effect of that game played a part in our game with LSU.

Also, key players could get hurt in the CCG that may keep them from playing in the NCG. For example, let's say OSU remains #1 for the rest of the season and OU moves up to #2. Both teams are at full strength at the end of the regular season. OU has to play the CCG and, although the Sooners win the game, we lose Bradshaw, Murray, Kelly, and Inglesias for the NCG. The Buckeyes are at full strength for the NCG because they didn't have to play another key game against a quality opponent but we, obviously, are not as healthy.

I just think that everyone should play a CCG or nobody should have to. Everyone is trying to get to the big game but not everyone has to follow the same standards to get there.

That being said, should the Sooners finish the regular season at #3, I'll be glad for the opportunity to play an undefeated KU team to try to move into the top 2 spots. If the Sooners are already in the top two, I'll dread, yet again, for having to play that game.

Curly Bill
10/19/2007, 11:15 AM
heh, heh

You said Bradshaw...:O But I do very much agree with you.

Miko
10/19/2007, 11:49 AM
Doesn't it help pay for Baylor's field hockey team, though????

RedstickSooner
10/19/2007, 12:00 PM

Huh?

Okay -- Yermom, I'm tryin' to be respectful as possible with this.

I strongly disagree.

Our Heisman winning QB was injured in that game, our swagger was deflated in that game, and we looked like fools in that game.

Had we not played it -- had they given us the conference title based on the fact that we'd dominated the conference (which they would've, had we been sissy members of a non-CCG conference), we would've won the Sugar Bowl.

Even *with* the injuries, and the hurt confidence, and everything else, we played LSU close. Without all those things -- with an extra week to prepare -- with a healthier team -- we would've won.

Just my opinion.

Dan Thompson
10/19/2007, 12:11 PM
I support the Big XII, so I hope KU wins.

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2007, 12:13 PM
The BCS should simply take the CCG out of the equation altogether. Choose the teams the week prior to the CCG games and consider them post-season. Problem solved.

Pricetag
10/19/2007, 12:19 PM
Huh?

Okay -- Yermom, I'm tryin' to be respectful as possible with this.

I strongly disagree.

Our Heisman winning QB was injured in that game, our swagger was deflated in that game, and we looked like fools in that game.

Had we not played it -- had they given us the conference title based on the fact that we'd dominated the conference (which they would've, had we been sissy members of a non-CCG conference), we would've won the Sugar Bowl.

Even *with* the injuries, and the hurt confidence, and everything else, we played LSU close. Without all those things -- with an extra week to prepare -- with a healthier team -- we would've won.

Just my opinion.
Either that, or the 2004 Sugar Bowl would have been like the 2005 Orange. LSU was much better than Kansas State. Had LSU come out and hit us in the mouth the same way the Wildcats did, why wouldn't we have folded up against them just like we did in the Big 12 Championship game? At least after losing to K-State, we knew we weren't the greatest team in college football history anymore.

Blitzkrieg
10/19/2007, 01:45 PM
This will be the first year that helps OU, provided we get there and win over a one loss MU team, or an undefeated KU team.

Landthief 1972
10/19/2007, 02:07 PM
The BCS should require all conferences to either have a championship game, or not have one.

humblesooner
10/19/2007, 02:11 PM
heh, heh

You said Bradshaw...:O But I do very much agree with you.

I think we would win easily without those other guys, but I think without Bradshaw we would be toast!!!:D :D :D

Curly Bill
10/19/2007, 02:20 PM
I think we would win easily without those other guys, but I think without Bradshaw we would be toast!!!:D :D :D

I'm just glad that with us needing a QB so bad at the beginning of this season that Bradshaw gave up his talking head gig to come lend us a hand.

;) ;)

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2007, 03:05 PM
[quot]The BCS should require all conferences to either have a championship game, or not have one.[/quote]

The BCS has no such power.