PDA

View Full Version : Are we sure South Florida drops below us in the BCS for now?

achiro
10/19/2007, 09:34 AM
Their two "quality" wins are Auburn(17) and WV(9), OUrs are Texass(22) and Mizzery(16). Theirs are ranked higher than OUrs at this time.

(not sure how in the hell WV is ranked as high as they are if you look at their schedule http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teamsched?teamId=277 :rolleyes: )

Boomer.....
10/19/2007, 09:37 AM
Yes. They should fall out of the top 10 in the polls, which will lower their BCS ranking. The ESPN guys were saying that they would fall somewhere around 15 in the polls.

achiro
10/19/2007, 09:40 AM
Yes. They should fall out of the top 10 in the polls, which will lower their BCS ranking. The ESPN guys were saying that they would fall somewhere around 15 in the polls.
I guess maybe I am confused on just how much the opinion polls count in the BCS?

colleyvillesooner
10/19/2007, 09:43 AM
They count for more than they used to. I believe they fixed it after 2003 and 2004 so that there was a smaller chance that the #1 and #2 in the polls would be left out of the title game.

yermom
10/19/2007, 09:53 AM
it was after the 2003 season

Mack took advantage in 2004 and politicked to get a few more votes and a higher ranking to edge Cal out of the Rose Bowl

the computer average is only 1/3 of the poll now, and it's not graduated as big. the averages are based on the number of points, not just the poll avg, so individual votes count more now. before it didn't matter what the gap between #1 and #2 or #3 in the Coaches/AP/Computers was, now they could have a very similar score numerically

badger
10/19/2007, 09:56 AM
part of rankings (at least the HUMAN rankings which count for 2/3 of the BCS) is powerhouse traditions. That's why established programs are traditionally ranked higher - because of hype and we've heard of them.

Therefore, USF will fall, but a the fall will be fair.

As for if they will fall below us, FIRST, we must beat ISU. THEN, let's talk about rankings :D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/19/2007, 09:57 AM
Yes.

Next question.

MichiganSooner
10/19/2007, 10:03 AM
Yes, and undefeated KU will move past us.

85sooners
10/19/2007, 10:07 AM
Yes, and undefeated KU will move past us.:eek:

yermom
10/19/2007, 10:08 AM
that really helps us more than hurts us if that happens

yermom
10/19/2007, 10:11 AM
part of rankings (at least the HUMAN rankings which count for 2/3 of the BCS) is powerhouse traditions. That's why established programs are traditionally ranked higher - because of hype and we've heard of them.

Therefore, USF will fall, but a the fall will be fair.

As for if they will fall below us, FIRST, we must beat ISU. THEN, let's talk about rankings :D

the real problem with this is that in the pre-season they are more into picking who will win at the end than who is the better team

they will rank someone like WV or USC high because they think their schedule is easier

colleyvillesooner
10/19/2007, 10:22 AM
that really helps us more than hurts us if that happens

Yep cause that one would be something we could actually do something about ourselves. If want any chance of beating out someone close for #2, we need to win all our games and beat a Top 5-8 KU team in the CCG.

start8
10/19/2007, 10:37 AM
If Auburn loses to LSU that hurts USF and if Auburn wins (please, please) LSU is done so either way-go OU!

NormanPride
10/19/2007, 10:39 AM
Yep cause that one would be something we could actually do something about ourselves. If want any chance of beating out someone close for #2, we need to win all our games and beat a Top 5-8 KU team in the CCG.

Aww, do we have to? I just wanted to speculate...

jccouger
10/19/2007, 10:59 AM
I hope Kansas is #1 when we play them in the Big XII champeenship.

Oh, and South Flordia is out of the national championship picture now.

colleyvillesooner
10/19/2007, 11:00 AM
Aww, do we have to? I just wanted to speculate...

:mad:

I try to put that in there to quiet the people that believe us on the messagboards looking ahead will mess up the team's concentration and focus. :D

Widescreen
10/19/2007, 11:02 AM
It seems very unfair that USF should drop all the way to #15. They lost a close road game to a team receiving poll votes. We lost a close road game to roadkill. I'm not complaining because it favors us, but I also don't think it's fair.

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2007, 11:48 AM
What you have done the previous years will always affect the human pollsters. A national championship rewards teams not only for what they have done in the current year, but for the historical greatness of the program. In essence, if you want to win a national title, it helps to elevate your program to a high level for a certain period of time.

To a certain degree, I find that reasonable.

MojoRisen
10/19/2007, 11:52 AM
USF should drop back to 8 or so but above WVU -they should be out but not as far as 15 maybe 10-12 in AP and 8 in BCS.

I am glad they lost though because they really did not impress me that much and Rutgers did everything in there power to loose that game in reality and USF still could not pull it off or adjust to SHiano in the second half.

I think OHIO ST GOES DOWN to someone and BC is definitely going to loose one this year -

The real question is if LSU and Oklahoma wins out and Ohio St looses to Michigan do they OSU drop below us in the BCS ????

badger
10/19/2007, 11:58 AM
What you have done the previous years will always affect the human pollsters. A national championship rewards teams not only for what they have done in the current year, but for the historical greatness of the program. In essence, if you want to win a national title, it helps to elevate your program to a high level for a certain period of time.

To a certain degree, I find that reasonable.
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/761/pukeue4.jpg

colleyvillesooner
10/19/2007, 12:00 PM
It seems very unfair that USF should drop all the way to #15. They lost a close road game to a team receiving poll votes. We lost a close road game to roadkill. I'm not complaining because it favors us, but I also don't think it's fair.

They also had a TD with :29 remaining to beat a 3-3 Florida Atlantic 35-23, and they beat W Virginia by 8 with their QB Pat White missing the entire second half.

They are a good team, but they just weren't ready for that type of game. 10-15 sounds about right.

SCOUT
10/19/2007, 12:20 PM
They also had a TD with :29 remaining to beat a 3-3 Florida Atlantic 35-23, and they beat W Virginia by 8 with their QB Pat White missing the entire second half.

They are a good team, but they just weren't ready for that type of game. 10-15 sounds about right.
I thought they looked pretty suspect in the Rutgers loss too. They benefited from some really sloppy Rutgers play. They also had a pretty tough time stopping Rutgers.

I would say the way they played that game will have an effect on the human polls too.

texashater#1
10/19/2007, 12:27 PM
Their two "quality" wins are Auburn(17) and WV(9), OUrs are Texass(22) and Mizzery(16). Theirs are ranked higher than OUrs at this time.

(not sure how in the hell WV is ranked as high as they are if you look at their schedule http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teamsched?teamId=277 :rolleyes: )

when we beat texas they were 19 and when we beat mizzou they were 11

AlabamaSooner
10/19/2007, 03:27 PM
I think USF definitely drops below us, but I think since they're "USF" that they will be dropped lower than they really should.

kevpks
10/19/2007, 04:35 PM
I don't feel sorry for how far S. FL is going to fall. When you are not an established team, you have no margin for error. Do you think if we had lost by one point on the road at K-State or A&M in 2000 that we still would have played for a title? Hell no. They would have put Miami and FL St. in there because they had a better track record of success. When S. FL strings three or four years of great seasons together, they'll be given the benefit of the doubt. Until then, they should enjoy the Orange Bowl if they can get there.

OU_Sooners75
10/19/2007, 08:05 PM
They will drop to between #5-8 in the human polls, unless more upsets happen this weekend. Their loss last night hit them in the computer rankings as well. all in all, if OU wins out and their SOS continues to improve, South Florida will stay behind OU in the BCS rankings.

Newbomb Turk
10/19/2007, 08:21 PM
We not only have to worry about who drops below but who can pass us.
Assuming we win out, there will not be any signature wins.

sooner59
10/19/2007, 09:16 PM
If we win out, we will have beaten a #19 Texas, #11 Missouri, a respectible 10-2 or 9-3 Texas Tech team whether or not they are ranked at the time, and hopefully a top 10 ranked team in the Big XII champ. game. Also, A&M, OSU, Colorado, Miami, and Tulsa may all be bowl-eligible teams by the end of the year. That is a pretty good resume. Would that help us edge out LSU if they were #2 and we were #3? Probably not, but im not convinced LSU will win out. Either way, I say tOSU, BC, South Carolina, and Kentucky all lose another anyway. "IF" we win out, I say we will scrape by and make it to the NC game. If we do I like our chances, even against LSU, im just not blown away by any team in the nation this year.

GottaHavePride
10/19/2007, 09:40 PM
We not only have to worry about who drops below but who can pass us.
Assuming we win out, there will not be any signature wins.
Man, EVERYone is forgetting that Kansas is as-yet undefeated, and could very well remain that way until the Big XII Championship.

If they're undefeated that late in the season, they'll be #1 or #2.

Crucifax Autumn
10/20/2007, 12:44 AM
How far did Rutgers drop when they lost their first game last year? I'd think USF will drop a similar amount.