PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska's Pederson sounds like the Anti-JoeC

aurorasooner
10/18/2007, 08:35 AM
and another interesting article Is Pederson's buyout legal? http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3918&u_sid=10161132
From reading this article, I got the impression that Pederson alienated just about all the previous Nebraska Football people, and was trying to rebuild the whole athletic dept. under his own image, and just pretend there was no previous history. Sounds like the guy was really a control prick. On the flip side, I imagine TO could've walked into Pederson's office any day of the week for a chat, unless Pederson was a total idiot and required him to make an appointment. Just doesn't sound like a real rosy romance between Pederson and anyone associated with past Nebraska football. Bad situation and timing when you fire a guy when he only loses 3 games. A much better situation when you fire a guy that only wins 3 games, and you win the NC 2 years later. U Athletics: Osborne is on call
BY DIRK CHATELAIN
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

LINCOLN — Tom Osborne was 10 minutes late for his first day of work as Nebraska interim athletic director.

Interim Athletic Director Tom Osborne works two phones in his new office during his first day Wednesday in Lincoln. Osborne was on hold waiting to go on the air for a local talk show and the other was one of several calls Osborne took from well wishers.
Caught in traffic, he said.

He parked his car, carried his little briefcase past a statue of himself and walked into a building that bears his name. Then, another problem.

"When I walked in the front door, I had to ask them what floor the athletic director's office was," Osborne said. "And when I got to the (third) floor, I had to ask where the office was."

Osborne had been through the Tom and Nancy Osborne Athletic Complex only once. He had never seen former Athletic Director Steve Pederson's office.

By Wednesday afternoon, Osborne had found the bathroom. He sat at Pederson's old desk and made phone calls, still a little uneasy about his new domicile.

"I got more room than I know what to do with," he said. "I feel like I'm lost."

The day started when he learned of a senior staff meeting about stress relief. Nobody told him about any meeting. He walked in late. A little embarrassing, Osborne said.

He probably didn't have to attend, but "I just kind of wandered in there and thought that'd be a good time to introduce myself."

He spent the morning putting faces to names. His employees showed him around. Lots of rooms and hallways in the Osborne Complex.

"Sometimes even the legends like that don't know which way to turn," said Randy York, Nebraska associate athletic director for communications.

Osborne had a phone at his ear most of the day, taking interview requests from the likes of radio personality Jim Rome. He ate lunch at the training table.

He tried to make sense of rumors swirling around the state that claimed that he was firing the football coaches on Wednesday.

Not true, Osborne said. In fact, he met with Bill Callahan's staff at 12:30 p.m.

"I just tried to let them know that I was here to support them any way I could," Osborne said, "and they don't have to blame themselves for what happened with the change in athletic directors.

"That it was more an administrative thing and it wasn't based on football scores or wins and losses. (I told them) I'd do whatever I could to help them, and then we'll sit down and talk at the end of the year and see where we are."

It's important, Osborne said, the coaches know he's "not out to get them."

Three hours later, he watched a Husker practice for the first time in years.

He even gave the OK to take the pictures of the football All-Americans out of storage and hang them.

"Looks like there's a lot of walls around here," Osborne said. "We ought to be able to find some place for them."

Osborne hopes to find some place in the complex for former athletes, too. Access and security were tight under Pederson.

"I went to see Harvey Perlman the other day and just walked right in," Osborne said.

Former players received an e-mail on Wednesday in which Osborne offered a limited supply of sideline passes to games. Osborne let them know that they're welcome into the A.D.'s office.

"If some people don't want to be bothered, that's fine," Osborne said. "But I'm here to be bothered. So we'll try to relax some of that stuff."

Directing an athletic department requires small talk and hand-shaking, but it's as much about paperwork and number-crunching.

"There's plenty of people around here . . . to do the day-to-day detail work," he said. "A lot of what I'm going to be doing will be people-related. That'll be my focus for the next few weeks."

That seems OK to people in the athletic department. A few senior staffers said they felt rejuvenated Wednesday morning.

Today, his old job complicates his new schedule. He's got to find a way — or find somebody — to administer his business mid-term to two afternoon classes. Osborne will teach when he can this semester, but he'll be calling on some guest speakers to help.

For now, he keeps his office in the College of Business Administration: a quaint abode at the end of a quiet second-floor hallway.

The view from that office, well, there isn't one unless you count the outer wall of Love Library.

At the Osborne Complex, he looks out to the north skyline, over a state-of-the-art practice facility and green practice fields. He has a balcony. He has red chairs and a glass desk and posters of the Nebraska national championship teams he coached.

None of it, by the way, came with him in that briefcase.

"I don't have a lot of baggage," he said. http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10161153

Veritas
10/18/2007, 08:57 AM
There are all kinds of stories coming out about stuff that guy pulled.

Day after Pederson was fired, Jason Peter told a story on his radio show about his effort to get tickets to last season's USC game. He called the athletic department eight months before the game and offered twice the face value. Jason was told that he'd get a call back. Two days later he got a call back and was told that there were no tickets available.

Yet when he watched the game, the NU box was full of players and...Andy Roddick.

Some candyass tennis player got tickets, and a guy who dedicated himself to the program, a guy bled and sweat for those national titles was told there weren't any available.

This is the kind of story coming out now that Pederson is no longer able to keep people quiet under the implicit threat of termination. The more I learn about his reign, the more disgusted I am.

85sooners
10/18/2007, 09:15 AM
:pop:

badger
10/18/2007, 09:22 AM
i think if pederson stayed, he and schnelly would have made a nice couple :)

Coach Howard: Ok... ample supply of Jack Daniels? Check. All-American pictures in the closet? Check? Ok, now let's see what how we can chance that football uniform...
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8606/nebgy8.jpg
Coach Howard: Ah yes, this spits at their tradition. No jersey stripes... those once got me fired... and a new "N" on the helmet - I think the old one looks wussy! Now let's go out there and make them forget all those championships! Yea, they're gonna write book about me!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/18/2007, 09:27 AM
and another interesting article Is Pederson's buyout legal? http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3918&u_sid=10161132
From reading this article, I got the impression that Pederson alienated just about all the previous Nebraska Football people, and was trying to rebuild the whole athletic dept. under his own image, and just pretend there was no previous history. Sounds like the guy was really a control prick. On the flip side, I imagine TO could've walked into Pederson's office any day of the week for a chat, unless Pederson was a total idiot and required him to make an appointment. Just doesn't sound like a real rosy romance between Pederson and anyone associated with past Nebraska football. Bad situation and timing when you fire a guy when he only loses 3 games. A much better situation when you fire a guy that only wins 3 games, and you win the NC 2 years later. U Athletics: Osborne is on call
BY DIRK CHATELAIN
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

LINCOLN — Tom Osborne was 10 minutes late for his first day of work as Nebraska interim athletic director.

Interim Athletic Director Tom Osborne works two phones in his new office during his first day Wednesday in Lincoln. Osborne was on hold waiting to go on the air for a local talk show and the other was one of several calls Osborne took from well wishers.
Caught in traffic, he said.

He parked his car, carried his little briefcase past a statue of himself and walked into a building that bears his name. Then, another problem.

"When I walked in the front door, I had to ask them what floor the athletic director's office was," Osborne said. "And when I got to the (third) floor, I had to ask where the office was."

Osborne had been through the Tom and Nancy Osborne Athletic Complex only once. He had never seen former Athletic Director Steve Pederson's office.

By Wednesday afternoon, Osborne had found the bathroom. He sat at Pederson's old desk and made phone calls, still a little uneasy about his new domicile.

"I got more room than I know what to do with," he said. "I feel like I'm lost."

The day started when he learned of a senior staff meeting about stress relief. Nobody told him about any meeting. He walked in late. A little embarrassing, Osborne said.

He probably didn't have to attend, but "I just kind of wandered in there and thought that'd be a good time to introduce myself."

He spent the morning putting faces to names. His employees showed him around. Lots of rooms and hallways in the Osborne Complex.

"Sometimes even the legends like that don't know which way to turn," said Randy York, Nebraska associate athletic director for communications.

Osborne had a phone at his ear most of the day, taking interview requests from the likes of radio personality Jim Rome. He ate lunch at the training table.

He tried to make sense of rumors swirling around the state that claimed that he was firing the football coaches on Wednesday.

Not true, Osborne said. In fact, he met with Bill Callahan's staff at 12:30 p.m.

"I just tried to let them know that I was here to support them any way I could," Osborne said, "and they don't have to blame themselves for what happened with the change in athletic directors.

"That it was more an administrative thing and it wasn't based on football scores or wins and losses. (I told them) I'd do whatever I could to help them, and then we'll sit down and talk at the end of the year and see where we are."

It's important, Osborne said, the coaches know he's "not out to get them."

Three hours later, he watched a Husker practice for the first time in years.

He even gave the OK to take the pictures of the football All-Americans out of storage and hang them.

"Looks like there's a lot of walls around here," Osborne said. "We ought to be able to find some place for them."

Osborne hopes to find some place in the complex for former athletes, too. Access and security were tight under Pederson.

"I went to see Harvey Perlman the other day and just walked right in," Osborne said.

Former players received an e-mail on Wednesday in which Osborne offered a limited supply of sideline passes to games. Osborne let them know that they're welcome into the A.D.'s office.

"If some people don't want to be bothered, that's fine," Osborne said. "But I'm here to be bothered. So we'll try to relax some of that stuff."

Directing an athletic department requires small talk and hand-shaking, but it's as much about paperwork and number-crunching.

"There's plenty of people around here . . . to do the day-to-day detail work," he said. "A lot of what I'm going to be doing will be people-related. That'll be my focus for the next few weeks."

That seems OK to people in the athletic department. A few senior staffers said they felt rejuvenated Wednesday morning.

Today, his old job complicates his new schedule. He's got to find a way — or find somebody — to administer his business mid-term to two afternoon classes. Osborne will teach when he can this semester, but he'll be calling on some guest speakers to help.

For now, he keeps his office in the College of Business Administration: a quaint abode at the end of a quiet second-floor hallway.

The view from that office, well, there isn't one unless you count the outer wall of Love Library.

At the Osborne Complex, he looks out to the north skyline, over a state-of-the-art practice facility and green practice fields. He has a balcony. He has red chairs and a glass desk and posters of the Nebraska national championship teams he coached.

None of it, by the way, came with him in that briefcase.

"I don't have a lot of baggage," he said. http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10161153

Personally I'd like to get even and hang a couple 50+ point losses on the Huskers before they right the ship but.....I respect the hell out of coach Osborne.

aurorasooner
10/18/2007, 10:02 AM
Personally I'd like to get even and hang a couple 50+ point losses on the Huskers before they right the ship but.. I thought the year to do that was when Nebraska last came to Norman, but Callahan went in that same stall offense to hold the score down as he did last Saturday. I think most Sooner fans wanted a minimum of half-a-hundred in that game to soothe some 90s wounds and we didn't get it done. I was always pretty much of a Nebraska fan when they played other teams but the Sooners until the way their athletic department handled the aftermath of the "Missouri fan after the game in Columbia clotheslining incident" as well as (imho) "the intentional attack by Delone on the Ruf-Nek". Nobody will ever convince me that the Norman pre-game mugging wasn't a Raider-type "we-won't-be-intimidated" tactic orchestrated by Clownahan and staff. Then throw in the way the last several years these new board fans of theirs run aggie-esque over to our boards and report on every little detail of some 4 star recruit they get from Backwater Jct USA, like we really GAS, and it still went on with B. Gabbert highschool "he's all world" reports until he got pulled several weeks ago and replaced at QB by his brother. The R. Smith, P. Dillard, and Roark recruiting Nebraska fan buzzards were even worse, not to mention that ridiculous uninformed -- all our 2000 NC players were Boo Blake's --crap, which immediately ended when Blake hit the road out of Lincoln. Any more I could care less if they beat K-State or not.

r5TPsooner
10/18/2007, 10:08 AM
He sounds like a terrific fella. NU took its first step in righting the ship IMO.

Taxman71
10/18/2007, 02:06 PM
In Pederson's defense, would you want most of the 90's era Huskers roaming your halls?

JLB
10/18/2007, 03:38 PM
I wonder if Callahan and Pederson where secretly working for Pete Carrol.

Shneeg11
10/18/2007, 05:24 PM
I have heard from a former Big 12 AD that none of them liked Pederson, or his attitude. He was always the "most important" one at the AD meetings, and a know it all, so take it for what its worth, but thats what I have been told.

If I restated what someone has said, sorry, I didn't read