PDA

View Full Version : I think I done survived me a real tornader today.

goingoneight
10/17/2007, 11:33 PM
I was at work in the shop area, and we got a serious... I mean SERIOUS gust of windstorm. I'm sitting in the little office area watching the trees blow and what do I see?

A 53 ft trailer, with single-axle truck attacked rocking rolling (literally) into the fence in front of our shop. If not for the fact that the old man who used to pick up our junk metal didn't die and obviously we have a lot of junk metal in his absence... that trailer would have crushed a fence, a metal shed with a bunch of company paperwork and probably done some damage at the ole meth house next door. :eek:

I wondered... "are the brakes set on the trailer, or is this a tornado and I need to get the fark to shelter?"

Well, the truck brake was set, but the trailer brake wasn't... typical truck driver error. No biggie until weird situations like this. I run outside to set the trailer brake and get the fark to shelter...

The wind picked my arse up and threw me into a fence. :eek:

I looked up and fortunately I was just a little rattled, nothing blew my way to hurt me. It was like being sprayed with an ice-cold, high pressure water hose. I saw nothing but grey and a wall of water soaking me. I was scared ****less to be honest. I've been in ****ty weather, but I knew this was a tornado in my mind. Never seen wind this powerful before. I had to walk the fence line up to the point that our office building blocked the wind gusts, hold onto the framework of the new office currently being built (and now storm-damaged) just to get inside where the drivers and office ladies were laughing at me. :mad:

:mad:

:mad:

They don't have to deal with the elements like I do from time to time in the maintenance directory. Bastages! So I look like I just jumped in a lake and I have a badly bruised arm. I went home and drove through more ****ty weather on the way here. I now can almost imagine a small fraction of what hurricane victims go through. It's quite an unbelievable experience to survive a gust of wind tripping you and throwing you down you like a linebacker. I knew I was alright because I didn't have any of those life flashes or anything sissy like that. I just knew I had to get out of that crap quickly.

The garbage dumpster slammed into my beautiful car of all things it could have hit, too. :mad: Boss told me the repairs were as good as paid for, so that's :cool:. No major damage to anything else, just trash and stuff scattered everywhere for me to help the drivers clean up tomorrow.

Soonerus
10/17/2007, 11:41 PM
Are you in the Tulsa area ???

goingoneight
10/17/2007, 11:43 PM
Yep... I work over by the airport. Was there a tornado there, or did I just catch a bad storm?

Soonerus
10/17/2007, 11:46 PM
over 20 people were sent to the hospital in the Tulsa area at an Oktoberfest event when heavy weather struck..tornado yet to be confirmed but it is an issue still..

GottaHavePride
10/18/2007, 12:47 AM
Some storms can throw out straight-line winds powerful enough for that. You get hit by a 70+ mph downburst and it might as well be a tornado.

tommieharris91
10/18/2007, 12:52 AM
over 20 people were sent to the hospital in the Tulsa area at an Oktoberfest event when heavy weather struck..tornado yet to be confirmed but it is an issue still..

The cop they talked to on the news used to be my long-time next-door neighbor back when I lived in Tulsey. I thought it was kinda weird seeing him talk about the situation. Anyway, if Oktoberfest was where it usually is, it's no where close to TUL or Jones-Riverside.

Soonerus
10/18/2007, 01:03 AM
Chevck the news reports in the papers tomorrow morning...

Seamus
10/18/2007, 04:01 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif for making it out alive, bro.