PDA

View Full Version : So I got a foster dog

soonerbrat
10/17/2007, 09:04 PM
He was hit by a car last friday night. The good samaratin that hit him took him to the vet, but couldn't afford to pay for an x-ray...the vet called the boxer rescue, who in turn called me and asked if I could take him until either his owners are found or they find him a new home. Right now he needs some recuperation time and probably an Xray of his front paw..it may be broken.

the biggest problem I have with him is that he reminds of my ex husband because he poops a stinky LOT and has really bad gas that also stinks to high heaven. What kind of food should I give a boxer to help the gas/pooping problem? at least he's housebroken, and unlike my ex, he does have some manners.

any advice about boxer dogs would be greatly appreciated

Czar Soonerov
10/17/2007, 09:13 PM
purina one

TopDaugIn2000
10/17/2007, 09:13 PM
awwww, good for you!

I feed Lucy Beneful and her poop isn't all that bad. but there is a LOT of it to pick up before I mow.

Curly Bill
10/17/2007, 09:22 PM
I always heard that with Iams they don't poop as much, and I believe that's possibly true, but the few times mine has had an accident in the house...well, the smell is still pretty horrible. Not much gas with mine either.

Great thing you've done. Dogs are awesome! :)

soonerbrat
10/17/2007, 09:23 PM
i didn't know a dog could poop so much. i probably take him out 3 times a night. My rottweiler doesn't even go that much

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/17/2007, 09:23 PM
Your ex wasn't housebroken?

soonerbrat
10/17/2007, 09:29 PM
I think the higher the protein content, the less I have to pick up...and contrary to popular belief, they don't need rice or carrots or potatoes or broccoli in their food..they are CARNIVORES so I won't be buying any dog food with doggy salad. too much fiber is making him have to go alot...

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/17/2007, 09:34 PM
Basically, you're better off getting super premium dog food instead of cheap stuff. The higher the protein content, the better. If there is a lot of waste in it, it has to come out somewhere.

olevetonahill
10/17/2007, 10:20 PM
Dont feed him what ya fed ur ex ! ;)

sanantoniosooner
10/17/2007, 10:32 PM
here is some info I ran across on the net

For that breed she needs to have some sort of fiber (or as she puts it salad) in his diet. Especially since it is recouping. Granted the domestic dog derived from a carnivore, the wolf, we have drastically changed that in the inbreeding and socialization we have done to them. Foods with vegitables and rice are really much better for the dogs digestive tracts, it's the filler that most leading brand names put in that make the smell even worse, and make them go more often.
For a dog that is recouping froma n injury or illness, I have nursed quite a few back to health, The "Solid Gold Hund and Flocken" is by far the best IMO. There are many varieties to choose from. But all are more healthy than anything we eat, and the leading brands to say the least. The name brands, especially when they are on medication, can constipate a dog and creat more problems in the long term. A HEALTHY DIET IS PARAMOUNT for a faster ecoup time. And you'll see their energy level rise very quickly.

MamaMia
10/17/2007, 10:38 PM
brat, you are such a sweethearted angel. If the little fellow needs an Xray, you can take him over to Dr. Boyer and I will pay for it. PM me. I have a tab over there. :)

OCUDad
10/17/2007, 10:49 PM
MamaMia and brat - the SO Angels. Good on you both.

olevetonahill
10/17/2007, 11:14 PM
brat, you are such a sweethearted angel. If the little fellow needs an Xray, you can take him over to Dr. Boyer and I will pay for it. PM me. I have tab over there. :)
There we go ! Ive got a horse thats hurt . Hes going to Dr Boyer and gettin Billed to MOM !:D :D :D :D :D :D

goingoneight
10/17/2007, 11:17 PM
How's Biznathco, vet? :pop:

olevetonahill
10/17/2007, 11:25 PM
How's Biznathco, vet? :pop:
Aw a Biznatcho update !
I hate her ! She still Poops an pees in my shack
Shes laying on her back in my bed thinking shes cool !
Im gonna kill her !
someday :rolleyes:

goingoneight
10/17/2007, 11:45 PM
So about the norm for lil' dogs, eh?

olevetonahill
10/17/2007, 11:49 PM
So about the norm for lil' dogs, eh?
Ya That bitch !:eek:

soonerbrat
10/18/2007, 09:52 AM
Owner found, problem solved!
Hopefully she'll pick him up today.

TopDaugIn2000
10/18/2007, 10:15 AM
awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MamaMia
10/18/2007, 10:18 AM
Owner found, problem solved!
Hopefully she'll pick him up today.
Well, good then. :)
I hope she takes him in for his XRay. How did they find her?

soonerbrat
10/18/2007, 11:03 AM
she had been checking local vet offices..they put her in touch with the boxer rescue who in turn put her in touch with me...she almost started crying when she called me

soonerbrat
10/18/2007, 11:04 AM
oh..the dog's name is Boomer, BTW..i've been calling him "Buddy"

OCUDad
10/18/2007, 12:29 PM
Sooner!

soonerboy_odanorth
10/18/2007, 02:47 PM
oh..the dog's name is Boomer, BTW..i've been calling him "Buddy"

Good jorb, brat... and there may be 10,000 dogs with that name in the metro area, but that still is teh COOL!

MamaMia
10/18/2007, 05:30 PM
she had been checking local vet offices..they put her in touch with the boxer rescue who in turn put her in touch with me...she almost started crying when she called me
Okay...wheres my tissues? ~sniffle~

soonerbrat
10/18/2007, 09:10 PM
The owner came and picked up the dog at 6 tonight...it was the "dad"..he DID start crying when he saw the dog....happy family reuinited.