PDA

View Full Version : Of all the jobs that will open up in College Football which would you want?

usmc-sooner
10/17/2007, 07:19 PM
I'd say these jobs open up
Michigan
Nebraska
and A&M

I'd take Nebraska in a heart beat. Lot of pressure but if you aint got high expectations then why play.

Now if Les jumps at the Michigan job I'd probably take LSU. Great team with gobs of talent close to recruit. Although the dirtiness of the SEC would suck, and you never fully know what was going on there before you got there.

wouldn't go to Az, Ole Miss, Miss State, Arkansas,

Michigan would be a good job as well, you got to play tOSU and that's it (woops forgot about Ap. State)

goingoneight
10/17/2007, 07:22 PM
:espn: What about Notre Dame?

Stitch Face
10/17/2007, 07:26 PM
Me, personally? I'd be afraid I'd fail miserably at any of them since I don't have any coaching experience.

Harry Beanbag
10/17/2007, 07:29 PM
Michigan is by far the best job of the three. I'm not sure you even have to break a sweat for a top 10 recruiting class there.

Dan Thompson
10/17/2007, 07:39 PM
Nebraska

SoonerTerry
10/17/2007, 07:47 PM
Suc.. just so I could drive their program into an unrecoverable death spin.. (yes I know its not an option)

Nebish, coach against King Bob.. not in a million years

aTm.. ghey humping screaming thing... uumm NO

Michigan... best of the lot, but they would probably get bent when I was listening to the OU game on the sidelines

SoonerBOI
10/17/2007, 07:56 PM
Michigan - they'll be more patient

arlington
10/17/2007, 07:57 PM
EAsy decision. Michigan is by far the best job of those 3. Michigan and NU have great tradition, but Michigan can wield a much bigger net recruiting wise based on there location than NU and they will always be considered 1 of the 2 big dogs of that awful conference. I really believe NU is going to have an awful time getting back to the glory days. The state exists on 6 man football so they have to go elsewhere to recruit. Kids dont want to go and lift weights for 4 years just for the priveledge of finally getting a chance to play like alot of there players used to do. Plus the facilities and programs of KU, Mizzou, KSU are to the point that they are stealing midwestern kids that used to pick NU. Then add in B12 south schools and why we should expect success from NU when they are annually in the bottom of recruiting rankings? Aggie South is a better job than NU. Just as much money and proximity to great talent. Sure they will always be little brother, but they can still have more success than NU.

MI Sooner
10/17/2007, 08:23 PM
Michigan, then Nebraska, then a&m. Michigan and Nebraska have similar histories, although Nebraska has been better in the last few decades. Still, Michigan is the easier place to recruit. Nebraska did really well when you could get some corn-fed linemen, a couple of good runners, and line up in the i-formation and run the option. I think they'll have a harder time than we did making the transition to modern college football since they don't recruit anywhere like we've recruited Texas for 40 years.

OU Adonis
10/17/2007, 08:28 PM
Nebraska

85sooners
10/17/2007, 08:40 PM
mich

Curly Bill
10/17/2007, 08:43 PM
Michigan, no question about it.

tommie15
10/17/2007, 08:45 PM
EAsy decision. Michigan is by far the best job of those 3. Michigan and NU have great tradition, but Michigan can wield a much bigger net recruiting wise based on there location than NU and they will always be considered 1 of the 2 big dogs of that awful conference. I really believe NU is going to have an awful time getting back to the glory days. The state exists on 6 man football so they have to go elsewhere to recruit. Kids dont want to go and lift weights for 4 years just for the priveledge of finally getting a chance to play like alot of there players used to do. Plus the facilities and programs of KU, Mizzou, KSU are to the point that they are stealing midwestern kids that used to pick NU. Then add in B12 south schools and why we should expect success from NU when they are annually in the bottom of recruiting rankings? Aggie South is a better job than NU. Just as much money and proximity to great talent. Sure they will always be little brother, but they can still have more success than NU.

According to the gurus, Nebraska has outrecruited or at least been on par with Michigan the last several years. It's not as easy, but it can be done. It would probably also be a lot easier if we had a real coach.

Stitch Face
10/17/2007, 08:56 PM
According to the gurus, Nebraska has outrecruited or at least been on par with Michigan the last several years. It's not as easy, but it can be done. It would probably also be a lot easier if we had a real coach.

Not hard when you have (had) John Freakin' Blake workin' for ya! Dude can pull a national chamionship-winning team out of his azz, that's a fact!

bluedogok
10/17/2007, 09:11 PM
Not hard when you have (had) John Freakin' Blake workin' for ya! Dude can pull a national chamionship-winning team out of his azz, that's a fact!
....he just doesn't know what to do with them once he has them.

Leroy Lizard
10/17/2007, 10:22 PM
Not Michigan. They have a decent team, which would unmask my coaching incompetence. I want to go to a place where the fans are not sure where the problem is, or can blame the offensive coordinator, like UT.

MiccoMacey
10/17/2007, 10:33 PM
A&M, and it's not close.

1) You have THE hotbed of talent to recruit from. Start winning some games, and you can pretty much make it between you and Texas for in-state talent.

2) College Station is a great environment to raise kids. We spent two years there and loved it.

Big Red Ron
10/17/2007, 10:33 PM
aTm doesn't even belong in the same post as the other two. Meatchicken has 10x the potential that Neb does from a population and recruiting perspective with tradition greater than anyone not named Notre Dame or Oklahoma.

Purple Tiger
10/17/2007, 11:48 PM
A&M, and it's not close.

1) You have THE hotbed of talent to recruit from. Start winning some games, and you can pretty much make it between you and Texas for in-state talent.

2) College Station is a great environment to raise kids. We spent two years there and loved it.
Agreed!

Ash
10/17/2007, 11:52 PM
Agreed!

OK, so you're an aTm troll. Your hard on about Texas recruits makes sense now. I wondered if you were a whorn, or maybe aggy or aggie. Now we know.

Doesn't matter, you're a tard either way.

SicEmBaylor
10/18/2007, 12:35 AM
Just to add to the list....Baylor will almost certainly have an open position at the end of the season with the firing of GuyMo apparently being near certainty.

The odds on favorite to get the job is Singletary if he wants it.

utex74
10/18/2007, 12:36 AM
A&M, and it's not close.

If you don't mind living in a cult. Aggy will never get a name coach to go there, which is what they think they deserve. They can get a troubleshooter, like Fran, or gamble on a newcomer.

Of course, a newcomer finally worked out well for you guys.

AllAboutThe'O'
10/18/2007, 12:59 AM
I think Arkansas can be a desirable job for the right coach.

Advantages:
Rabid statewide support. There's another D-I school, a I-AA school and several DII schools in Arkansas, but for the most part, the Razorbacks own the state lock, stock and barrel. You come to Arkansas and win, and win big, and you'll be treated like a god.
Facilities. The Hogs have considerably upgraded their facilities since moving to the SEC. Big weight room, indoor workout facility and athletic complex has been modernized. While the stadium has been upgraded, complete with the gigantic JumboTron, it really hasn't been an intimidating place for visitors. The new coach can do his part in getting fans and students involved to turn Razorback Stadium into a true homefield advantage.
Big-money boosters: If you win, the Tysons, the J.B. Hunts and the Walton family will be your friend for life.
Frank Broyles is out after Jan. 1: To me, I think this has been the big sticking point in the past. Many coaches didn't want to work under Broyles (Bob Stoops was asked to interview after the '97 season but respectfully declined) because of his penchant for meddling and Arkansas, for the most part, has been left with sloppy seconds. But with Broyles leaving his post as of New Year's Day, I think more prospective coaches will show interest in Arkansas than in the past.

Disadvantages
The SEC: Arguably the toughest conference in the country. You're being asked to compete against the LSUs, the Alabamas, the Auburns, the Floridas, etc. Nothing else needs to be said.
Recruiting base: When Arkansas was in the SWC, they would come away each year with a boatload of players from Texas. That has diminished since the Hogs joined the SEC. But the Hogs don't necessarily have to rely on Texas players. What has really hurt Nutt has been his inability to keep the top players in-state. The new coach has to keep the in-state talent, then pick up some players from other states, like Texas and Oklahoma. Opening up Kansas City and Memphis would also be vital.
The new A.D.: While Broyles is going to be gone, there's still a bit of uncertainty about working under the new athletic director, who will be Pittsburgh's Jeff Long (who also worked at OU). Personally, it was well past time for Broyles to go, but he still leaves big shoes to fill and it's going to be an adjustment period for Long as he adapts his own style. But I've heard good things about him and, again, I think he'll be more in-tune with the modern problems and demands of an athletic department than Broyles had been in recent years.

But that said, the right coach can come in and win. Personally, Arkansas screwed the pooch two years ago by keeping Nutt when Butch Davis all but begged to return to his alma mater.

Crucifax Autumn
10/18/2007, 01:27 AM
I'd have to go with replacing Mike Stoops...

The team would still suck bad, but I'd be able to say I was as successful as Mike!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/18/2007, 01:59 AM
A&M, and it's not close.

2) College Station is a great environment to raise kids. We spent two years there and loved it.Wait just a second there, fella...you're an admitted orange aggy. You WOULD like it at maroon aggyland. I would think the answer to the question is...MEATCHICKEN, of course.