PDA

View Full Version : Mike Reed/family time

OU-HSV
10/17/2007, 07:16 PM
(I did a search, and didn't see this posted anywhere)
I heard on the sports animal this a.m. that there has been speculation that Mike Reed has been dismissed from the team.
The coaches have said that indeed, Mike missed the last couple of games because he needs to help w/his family. His wife had some sort of heart surgery and is unable to tend to their kids for now. So Mike Reed had to leave football temporarily to help out with his family. As far as I know they didn't say how long he'd be gone or anything, but the way they were talking, they said he was really improving at practice and they seemed to lean toward him being back soon. Obviously one has to think it's depressing him to be missing part of the season. But props for him tending to what he needs to deal with.
Anyways, let's keep Mike Reed and his family in our thoughts and prayers.

birddog
10/17/2007, 07:18 PM
good luck, mike. hope it all works out for you.

goingoneight
10/17/2007, 07:20 PM
Not that football matters in this situation, but he is redshirting a year anywho.

Good luck, MR.

OU-HSV
10/17/2007, 07:35 PM
Not that football matters in this situation, but he is redshirting a year anywho.

Good luck, MR.
true

SoonerBOI
10/17/2007, 07:53 PM
Good Luck, MR.

zeke
10/17/2007, 07:59 PM
Best of luck to Mike Reed & Family

AlbqSooner
10/17/2007, 08:15 PM
There are some coaches in college football who would suggest he choose between football and family. I am glad Stoops is not one of them.

jccouger
10/17/2007, 08:22 PM
I didn't know reed could red shirt. I thought he had 2 years to play 2?

85sooners
10/17/2007, 08:42 PM

Good luck, MR.;)

Curly Bill
10/17/2007, 08:45 PM
There are some coaches in college football who would suggest he choose between football and family. I am glad Stoops is not one of them.

You are so right on both of those statements.

Spek to ya

stoopified
10/17/2007, 09:25 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with Mike and his family.

OU-HSV
10/17/2007, 09:38 PM
Yep.
Oh and also the sports animal crew dropped a comment about how the NCAA won't allow anyone to help the Reed family in this situation. Whether they were just simply stating that as their opinion or the NCAA actually said something specific about the circumstances, I'm not sure.
But that's not any news to anybody...the NCAA has gotten ridiculous.

colleyvillesooner
10/18/2007, 11:25 AM
I didn't know reed could red shirt. I thought he had 2 years to play 2?

This is how I understood it as well...

Boomer.....
10/18/2007, 11:27 AM
I hope everything works out for him.

MiccoMacey
10/18/2007, 12:18 PM
His wife had surgery...he has an excused absence to take care of her and his two kids...Venables says he's in good standing.

bmrsnou
10/18/2007, 12:39 PM
Yep.
Oh and also the sports animal crew dropped a comment about how the NCAA won't allow anyone to help the Reed family in this situation. Whether they were just simply stating that as their opinion or the NCAA actually said something specific about the circumstances, I'm not sure.
But that's not any news to anybody...the NCAA has gotten ridiculous.

If that's true, then the NCAA needs a reality check. This is just like the young commit who was killed in Houston (his name escapes me at the moment) that the Sooner family tried to help. MR is a college kid, who makes no money, plays football, attends class, and is trying to raise a family while dealing with his wife's problems. I'm willing to bet that his wife isn't covered on any insurance, so the cost to him will be outrageous!!

If the NCAA won't let anyone other than family help him, then something NEEDS TO BE DONE. I have wondered for years why the major universities haven't ever tried to peel off and create another association that can allow for things like this!! These kids are out there playing a sport for themselves and the enjoyment of alumni, fans and friends. GIVE THEM A BREAK!!!!

Sorry about the long rant.

Theskipster
10/18/2007, 12:52 PM
If that's true, then the NCAA needs a reality check.

The NCAA can't just let anyone help out football players. Or Ohio State, Alabama, SMU, A&M and the like will suddenly have 100 football players and recruits who need a lot of monetary help.

The school can ask the NCAA for exceptions to the rules. Just like OU did with the Houston kid and the NCAA granted the exception.

The NCAA has been a lot more fair lately than ever. They are actually looking at the circumstances before making decisions.

r5TPsooner
10/18/2007, 01:12 PM
Family comes first... always.

Best of luck to him and his wife.

Jdog
10/18/2007, 01:36 PM
If that's true, then the NCAA needs a reality check. This is just like the young commit who was killed in Houston (his name escapes me at the moment) that the Sooner family tried to help. MR is a college kid, who makes no money, plays football, attends class, and is trying to raise a family while dealing with his wife's problems. I'm willing to bet that his wife isn't covered on any insurance, so the cost to him will be outrageous!!

If the NCAA won't let anyone other than family help him, then something NEEDS TO BE DONE. I have wondered for years why the major universities haven't ever tried to peel off and create another association that can allow for things like this!! These kids are out there playing a sport for themselves and the enjoyment of alumni, fans and friends. GIVE THEM A BREAK!!!!

There are ways to do it without violating NCAA rules - in fact the University did it right in the case of the recruit in Houston.
Bottom line, fans don't get involved setting up a means for excepting private donation - and for good reason.

Donations need to be done through a Trust fund - not a slush fund!!!!!
A Family member contacts a bank and sets up the Trust - in which anyone can donate to - FANS, FAMILY, CHURCH GROUPS..... --- and the NCAA can't do anything about it. This way it's not about the fan('s) its those who are hurting.

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!

PLaw
10/18/2007, 11:18 PM
MR -

As a person with a mended heart, our prayers go out to you and your wife. Here is to a speedy recovery.

Boomer
PLaw

sooneron
10/19/2007, 08:30 AM
I hope everything works out for the Reed family.