PDA

View Full Version : USC, Cal, or Oregon in the Fiesta?

rfhlandstealer
10/17/2007, 07:14 PM
Let's just say for fun or **** luck. OU wins out but does not make make the NC game. Likely matchups would be USC, Cal, or Oregon. Which would you rather take a shot at?

I'm going with SC need payback for 04, I still have nightmares..

goingoneight
10/17/2007, 07:18 PM
**** USC. Gimme Oregon... at least most of the players who "beat" us are still there.

Harry Beanbag
10/17/2007, 07:28 PM
They all own scoreboard on us, so it doesn't really matter I guess.

The way things look right now, USC may lose to both Cal and Oregon which would put them in the Holiday Bowl at best.

arlington
10/17/2007, 07:45 PM
I want SC. At last check, Oregon has never been seen laughing the entire 4th quarter while kicking our arse....Plus Oregon is scary good this year and I would rather go for a return humiliation of the Men of Troy.

SoonerTerry
10/17/2007, 07:49 PM
Sc..

Dan Thompson
10/17/2007, 07:50 PM
I think USC would be just fine. If OU came out early and could fine and indoor practice field, I doubt there are many in southern cal, it would be great. There are some empty hangers at El Toro and Tustin Marine Bases.

Maybe OU could get a couple of trick plays worked out.

SoonerBOI
10/17/2007, 07:54 PM
I want USC! If we beat them Pete will have more botox shots.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/17/2007, 08:03 PM
suc for sure. If we could somehow get domer, that would be even better.

85sooners
10/17/2007, 08:46 PM
condoms

SoonerEmpire
10/17/2007, 09:49 PM
They all own scoreboard on us, so it doesn't really matter I guess.

The way things look right now, USC may lose to both Cal and Oregon which would put them in the Holiday Bowl at best.

How does Cal and Oregon own scoreboard on us? Of course, Oregon beat us, but we all know who TRULY won that game, and it wasn't the ducks. Besides, we own them in the series, and it's not even close!

Cal? The last time we played them was in 1998 with John Blake. Sure, Cal beat us, but it was only by one point - 13 to 12. We've only played a total of four games against them and have split the series 2-2.

I fail to see how either of those teams own scoreboard on us. The only team that does is suc.

As for who I would want in the Fiesta? I'd have to say SUC. Not only did they embarrass us the last time we played them, but they own us in the series. I would love for us to play them and put 70 on the score board.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. This was a fun discussion, but I look forward to our Sooners to be in the NC game! ;)

CitySooner
10/17/2007, 11:43 PM
We want SUC!!

Soonerus
10/17/2007, 11:55 PM
I'd take USC...and I would be at the game...

StoopTroup
10/18/2007, 12:10 AM
What ever bunch of punks they want to throw at us....

Soonerus
10/18/2007, 12:11 AM
What ever bunch of punks they want to throw at us....

I agree with Stoop...

AllAboutThe'O'
10/18/2007, 01:04 AM
I want USC.

However, according to the latest issue of Sports Illustrated, they have us playing South Florida in the Fiesta. I don't really want South Florida; it'll be Boise State all over again.

Crucifax Autumn
10/18/2007, 01:13 AM
Not gonna worry about it...We'll be playing the next week.

Harry Beanbag
10/18/2007, 07:13 AM
How does Cal and Oregon own scoreboard on us? Of course, Oregon beat us, but we all know who TRULY won that game, and it wasn't the ducks. Besides, we own them in the series, and it's not even close!

Doesn't matter, Oregon won the game.

Cal? The last time we played them was in 1998 with John Blake. Sure, Cal beat us, but it was only by one point - 13 to 12. We've only played a total of four games against them and have split the series 2-2.

They beat Blake two years in a row, scoring 40 points in one of the games.

I fail to see how either of those teams own scoreboard on us.

I fail to see how you can't see it.

MiccoMacey
10/18/2007, 10:25 AM
Teams that have scoreboard on Stoops:

1999: Notre Dame, Mississippi
2000: No one
2001: No one
2002: No one
2003: LSU
2004: USC
2005: TCU, UCLA
2006: Oregon, Boise State
2007: Colorado

By my count, that's nine teams who still have scoreboard on us.

Not too bad. We've already taken texas off last year's list. I'd like to take USC off that list this year. But they won't make it to a BCS game.

NS5
10/18/2007, 11:33 AM
Fiesta is the best Bowl, Stadium and weather will be awesome again.
Team of choice is a toss up. Just come to Phoenix!
NOLA is the bottom of the pile!

10/18/2007, 11:43 AM
I want USC.

However, according to the latest issue of Sports Illustrated, they have us playing South Florida in the Fiesta. I don't really want South Florida; it'll be Boise State all over again.Don't you love it how the Fiesta now gets the Big 12 champ vs the leftovers, the team nobody respects, who has an insatiable craving for acceptance? We get to play the team nobody cares about, and if we win, nobody cares. If we lose(and we da*n sure could, because it's likely we won't take them seriously), it will be another "upset of the century". Heck, whatever happened to our tie-in with the Orange Bowl? I love it that OU could come to PHX again, but I don't want them playing USF or Boston College!

sooner518
10/18/2007, 12:32 PM
I want Oregon because I believe Allen Patrick would kill somebody during that game and they deserve it.

SoonerEmpire
10/18/2007, 03:02 PM
Doesn't matter, Oregon won the game.

Sorry, but I don't buy that. Oregon may be in the record books as being the victor, but they did not win that game. The officials won that game. Oregon just happened to be the beneficiary of said win. I'm not saying Oregon cheated, so don't get me wrong here. They (Oregon) simply just played the game like any other team would have done - including OU.

They beat Blake two years in a row, scoring 40 points in one of the games.

Sure, they beat Blake two years in a row. So what?! We beat them the previous two games we played against them before that. We're even! And if truth be told, beating a John Blake squad is nothing to toot your own horn about. I find it interesting that you felt the need to mention that Cal scored 40 points in one of the games, as if to say that they somehow "dominated" the game or "blew us out". Don't forget, in that same game, OU scored 36 points.

A FOUR POINT DIFFERENCE!

The fact that they scored 40 when we scored 36 doesn't seem very significant anymore once you tell the whole story! Did they win? Absolutely! Do they deserve credit for it? Absolutely! But again, beating a John Blake team wasn't - and STILL isn't - necessarily anything to write home about... no matter what the final score could have been.

Besides, our 2-year-in-a-row losses to Cal hardly seem relevant considering that the last time that they beat us - in 1998 - is one year shy of an ENTIRE DECADE AGO! It's not relevant to the Stoops era. It's not relevant to THIS decade in the 2000's. It's not relevant to any of the current players for either team. It's not relevant to recent history such as the Oregon loss is. Just like it's not relevant for me to bring up the first two games we played against them when WE beat THEM. I only bring that up to bring balance into the discussion. It's fun. But it means nothing! Ancient history, my friend...

I fail to see how you can't see it.

No, I see what you're saying and agree to an extent, if you're only talking about the last time we played a team. But in the example of Cal, there is absolutely no relevance to it when it was a completely different era for BOTH programs. And with Oregon, that game has TONS more relevance than does an OU/Cal series, but is debatable nonetheless, due to the controversial nature of that game. No big deal, really. I suppose we will have to agree to disagree. :)

10/18/2007, 03:37 PM
I think of "having scoreboard" on somone is won-loss record. Hence, Oregon doesn't have it, the whorns do, suc and domer are way up on us, etc. I want revenge on Oregon, like everybody, but they've only beaten us once, evar, and that was bogus, of course.

SoonerEmpire
10/18/2007, 04:05 PM
I think of "having scoreboard" on somone is won-loss record. Hence, Oregon doesn't have it, the whorns do, suc and domer are way up on us, etc. I want revenge on Oregon, like everybody, but they've only beaten us once, evar, and that was bogus, of course.

I agree. I've always looked at "having scoreboard" on someone in terms of series record as well.

For example:
In 2002, the last time osu beat OU, if some osu fan would have bragged about how they have scoreboard on OU, how many of us would laugh their as*es off about that statement? My guess is that the overwhelming majority of us would. Sure, they may own scoreboard on us from THAT ONE SINGULAR game, but we have more scoreboard on them than they do on us, and it's not even close. Therefore - overall - we have scoreboard on them.

If it's not a series lead, I don't consider it relevant. But that's just me...

humblesooner
10/18/2007, 04:54 PM
Sorry to go against the grain, but scoreboard is exactly what it says.
The last time there was a scoreboard for the two teams in question, the winner has "scoreboard".
The example is OU/TX. We currently have scoreboard.

Desert Sapper
10/18/2007, 05:07 PM
I don't know about all this scoreboard talk, but the last I looked at the Orange Bowl scoreboard SUC had every bit of it. I want to not only beat them, I want to beat their children, their grandmothers, and everybody they've ever loved. I want their mothers to cry about how badly they were beaten for years afterwards and their fathers to hang their heads in shame at the mere mention of the game. I want to beat them so badly, everyone questions what kind of coach Petey is to let his team come into a game so woefully unprepared. I want to beat them so badly, their players quit football permanently. I want to beat them to the point of the University considering permanently disbanding the football program.

In short, I choose SUC. Beat their South Central private school @$$es all the way back to the Pacific Ocean. The end.

MiccoMacey
10/18/2007, 05:08 PM
Sorry to go against the grain, but scoreboard is exactly what it says.
The last time there was a scoreboard for the two teams in question, the winner has "scoreboard".
The example is OU/TX. We currently have scoreboard.

You and just about everyone else sees it this way.

And why dog Cal for their win? It's not their fault the last time we played them was a decade ago.

They won, they have scoreboard. This is not rocket science.

Now, if you want to talk about overall program success, you and I are in total agreement. But scoreboard is exactly what it says it is...last scoreboard standing.

SoonerEmpire
10/18/2007, 05:20 PM
I don't know about all this scoreboard talk, but the last I looked at the Orange Bowl scoreboard SUC had every bit of it. I want to not only beat them, I want to beat their children, their grandmothers, and everybody they've ever loved. I want their mothers to cry about how badly they were beaten for years afterwards and their fathers to hang their heads in shame at the mere mention of the game. I want to beat them so badly, everyone questions what kind of coach Petey is to let his team come into a game so woefully unprepared. I want to beat them so badly, their players quit football permanently. I want to beat them to the point of the University considering permanently disbanding the football program.

In short, I choose SUC. Beat their South Central private school @$$es all the way back to the Pacific Ocean. The end.

Now, there's something I give a big AMEN to! :)

Spek!

Harry Beanbag
10/18/2007, 06:00 PM

And why dog Cal for their win? It's not their fault the last time we played them was a decade ago.

Now, if you want to talk about overall program success, you and I are in total agreement. But scoreboard is exactly what it says it is...last scoreboard standing.

Exactly. Some people like to rationalize things, I prefer logic.

SoonerEmpire
10/18/2007, 06:14 PM

If you're talking to me, I'm not dogging Cal for their win. As a matter of fact, I said that they rightfully won the game and they deserve credit for it.

Now, if you want to talk about overall program success, you and I are in total agreement.

Point well taken.

But scoreboard is exactly what it says it is...last scoreboard standing.

Umm... actually "scoreboard" just says "scoreboard." Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing about "last scoreboard standing" in the word "scoreboard." But I get your overall point though.

There's no need to argue the issue, as it's not important anyway. We're all on the same team here (at least most of us, anyway). Ultimately though, as Crucifax already noted, hopefully it won't matter, because we'll be playing a week later on Jan 7th. ;)

MiccoMacey
10/18/2007, 07:40 PM
There's no need to argue the issue, as it's not important anyway. We're all on the same team here (at least most of us, anyway). Ultimately though, as Crucifax already noted, hopefully it won't matter, because we'll be playing a week later on Jan 7th. ;)

I agree 100%.

BTW, I don't usually/hardly ever/never talk trash. If I disagree with someone, my "voice" is usually non-judgemental and not demeaning. It's hard to tell someone's intent and usage sometimes while reading.

Boomer Sooner!!

10/18/2007, 08:42 PM

Now, if you want to talk about overall program success, you and I are in total agreement. But scoreboard is exactly what it says it is...last scoreboard standing.aggy

Crucifax Autumn
10/18/2007, 11:44 PM
Ultimately though, as Crucifax already noted, hopefully it won't matter, because we'll be playing a week later on Jan 7th.

We got one step closer to that tonight guys. Let's just hope the help keeps coming and we settle our own business.

PDXsooner
10/19/2007, 10:43 AM
oregon didn't win last year. i'll never acknowledge that as an oregon win.

MiccoMacey
10/19/2007, 10:48 AM
Says the man in....PORTLAND!!!111!!!!

One of my favorite places of all time, BTW. We loved it there.

PDXsooner
10/19/2007, 02:34 PM
ha ha, portland is awesome. oregon is actually a great university and eugene is a great town, but that game put a negative shade to all things oregon. i'm over it, i just won't ever agree to saying oregon won the game.

Octavian
10/19/2007, 03:27 PM
Dear Big XII,

Please do something useful and get our Orange Bowl bid back.

Thanks,
Oklahoma

Crucifax Autumn
10/20/2007, 01:35 AM
If the team and coaches do their job, we'll be heading there once every 4 years.