PDA

View Full Version : Was someone from Texas

Partial Qualifier
10/17/2007, 03:15 PM
recording our practice sessions leading up to the 2006 RRS?

http://newsok.com/article/3149918/1192601510

By Jake Trotter
Staff Writer
NORMAN — High fences.

Seven security guards.

No, this isn't the look of a low-security prison; it's daily protocol for safeguarding Oklahoma football practice from spies.

Six weeks ago, the New England Patriots made spying a national story, when the NFL punished coach Bill Belichick and the Patriots for spying on the New York Jets.

But long before, college coaches — especially at OU — have taken spying as a serious threat.

"I haven't heard any (rumors of spying),” Stoops said. "But I wouldn't put it past some guys.”

OU's practices are closed to the media and to the public.

In fact, during the preseason scrimmages, Stoops had the west side closed to fans so no one could watch the coaches signaling from the east sideline.

"I don't want someone sitting out here watching one of our scrimmages and just sitting there getting it all,” Stoops said. "That's why, a lot of times, we just go on the east side.”

Oklahoma State has a black tarp on a fence surrounding its practice facility, but no on-duty security guards.

The OU athletic department, however, hires Sooner Security of Norman to provide up to seven security guards daily to remove any would-be spies at Sooner football practices.

Twenty minutes before every practice, guards walk the fence line around the Bud Wilkinson Football Practice Facility, checking for tape recorders and video cameras.

One guard is stationed on top of Owen Field's south bleachers. Another drives a golf cart through the parking garage nearly adjacent to the west side of the practice facility.

Two more guards patrol the sidewalks on Lindsey Street and Asp Avenue outside the Wilkinson Facility, which already is surrounded by fences and thick shrubbery.

The security detail also walks through Gaylord Hall, the journalism building located to the west. If anyone is watching practice through the windows, they are asked to move along.

Another guard checks the clock tower, where from the top, practice can be seen.

The security guards can remove people on the stadium grounds, but can only ask people to leave other locations and contact campus police.

Most of the time, the guards find students watching practice for mere enjoyment.

But other times, the threat hasn't been so benign.

"Last year, right before the Texas game, we caught two people in the southwest corner (of the practice facility) with a video camera hiding in the bushes,” said Ryan Thomas, one of the Sooner Security supervisors. "We don't know who they were with, but we ran them off.”

More than a month ago, Stoops told ESPN.com that he regrets practicing in the Superdome before the 2003 season Sugar Bowl.

The Sooners were getting ready to play LSU, coached by Nick Saban, a disciple of Belichick.

"I would have gone to some high school and hopefully have a lot fewer people (around),” Stoops said. "I'm not saying that in any negative way toward Nick. I'm just saying there was too many people to track or keep up with.”

Stoops didn't accuse Saban of spying.

But 53 years before, LSU likely did spy on OU before the 1950 Sugar Bowl.
A former LSU player was caught watching OU's practices.

"When you have an open practice, there's sometimes people at your practice who aren't your people. That's a fact,” said current OU offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson. "People put things on YouTube where you can watch everything; it's easy to get a video of what everybody is doing at practice.

"I think that's one of the reasons we went to closed practices.”

colleyvillesooner
10/17/2007, 03:22 PM
according to the article you just posted, yes.

Next thread.

:D

85sooners
10/17/2007, 03:37 PM
yes

AlabamaSooner
10/17/2007, 04:52 PM
Another guard checks the clock tower, where from the top, practice can be seen.

The clock tower? I didn't think anybody could just waltz up there anyway.

Wishboned
10/17/2007, 04:56 PM

You never want to take the chance with Texans and clock towers.

GottaHavePride
10/17/2007, 08:42 PM

Who knew Spiderman was a Texan?

47straight
10/17/2007, 10:14 PM

utex74
10/18/2007, 12:43 AM
I think spying really is more common than many people think. But only one former coach has actually admitted to accusations levled at him in his autobiography.

Crucifax Autumn
10/18/2007, 01:17 AM
You never want to take the chance with Texans and clock towers.

Wow...I thought that was in the same category as bonfires...

But at least you have balls to say it!

KantoSooner
10/18/2007, 05:58 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm.
Radio control airplane. Digital recorder.
Could be done. could be done......

Get it high enough, with a zoom lens.

StoopTroup
10/18/2007, 08:52 AM
The Drone Wars ! ! ! :eek:

47straight
10/18/2007, 11:53 PM
edited... I have to stop feeding the whorn trolls. If they don't understand their own ugly history of race relations and why darrell royal took out his own shortcomings with it out on switzer and the sheep ERRR cow fanbase just regurgitates it, then **** them, I don't have time there's too many of them.

HSC-Sooner
10/18/2007, 11:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Texas holds closed practices too but we don't have anyone in jail to spy on them.

snp
10/19/2007, 12:37 AM
I took a few seconds to check out practice from the parking garage after class got out one day and not long after I was there, I noticed a security guard on his walkie talking and seemingly looking up to my position. Within 30 seconds, another guard in a golfcart came flying down the ramp telling me to move along.

Crucifax Autumn
10/19/2007, 01:11 AM
Tha answer to the spying problem: SNIPERS!

snp
10/19/2007, 01:25 AM
Send the scout team after these guys - whoever catches the spy gets a start.

Crucifax Autumn
10/19/2007, 01:40 AM
Now there's an idea! And it is the "Scout" team. It's their job isn't it?

Oh...wait...it'll be their scouts the snipers are shooting!

stoopified
10/19/2007, 08:12 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm.
Radio control airplane. Digital recorder.
Could be done. could be done......

Get it high enough, with a zoom lens.

I think Bob has a fully armed Predator on stanby for that very possibility.