PDA

View Full Version : Just made the switch to Direct TV

stoops the eternal pimp
10/17/2007, 01:22 PM
After being a DishNetwork guy for 5 years I switched to Direct TV because of the offer to new customers with getting the NFL plan and the premier all everything package for 4 months for 70 bucks a month. Any complaints from anybody on Direct TV?

OKLA21FAN
10/17/2007, 01:25 PM
Im close to pulling the same move after 8 years with Dish. I have been happy with DISH, but this deal might be to good to pass up.

SoonerBOI
10/17/2007, 01:28 PM
Switched from Comcast to Direct about a year ago. I have zero complaints.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/17/2007, 01:43 PM
Im close to pulling the same move after 8 years with Dish. I have been happy with DISH, but this deal might be to good to pass up.

I was happy with Dish too. I called them when I moved a month ago to stop my service and I asked them what they would give me to stay. I told them there should be some type of a rewards system for customers who stay with them past their contract and they gave me the opportunity to get the deal the new customers are getting but I would have to pay for the DVR. I told them no thanks.

Sooner Eclipse
10/17/2007, 02:22 PM
I have one issue with them. Been a DTV customer for about 10 years. Recently they have upgraded the # of channels in the HD programming. My HD dvr wont get the new channels because they are in mpeg4 format. Even though I'm paying (and have been for years) for the HD programming they won't replace my leased HD DVR with the new one that will get the new stuff. They want $300 dollars for me to see all the programming i'm already paying for. It's bull****.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
10/17/2007, 02:30 PM
I just switched to DirecTV from Comcast. I have asked around for about 8 months and I have heard very few complaints. I am excited about this switch.

SoonerJack
10/17/2007, 02:47 PM
I switched from Dish to TimeWarner (after being a Dish Network customer for almost 8 years) because I got sick of seeing all of the promos they were throwing to new customers while telling existing customers: **** off!

When I called to cancel I explained this to them and "they were real sorry to lose my business since I'd been such a good customer all of these years." I said, "well, you might want to reward your good customers once in a while."

Widescreen
10/17/2007, 03:07 PM
I have one issue with them. Been a DTV customer for about 10 years. Recently they have upgraded the # of channels in the HD programming. My HD dvr wont get the new channels because they are in mpeg4 format. Even though I'm paying (and have been for years) for the HD programming they won't replace my leased HD DVR with the new one that will get the new stuff. They want $300 dollars for me to see all the programming i'm already paying for. It's bull****.
Dish customers have the same problem. They (Dish) is actively trying to get everyone to upgrade to the MPEG4 receivers (which I did). Sometimes they're offering some decent deals now though. The earliest adopters had to pay a couple hundred to get the new one.

r5TPsooner
10/17/2007, 03:09 PM
DirecTV is awesome. My only complaint is the lack of HD channels when OU plays on Fox Sports Net.

I have yet to see an OU game in HD when Fox picks the game up.

I would also highly recommend purchasing the TIVO HD receiver as I have found the DTV HD DVR to be nowhere near as good or reliable.

olevetonahill
10/17/2007, 03:13 PM
Yall that are swithcing to Dtv tell em I sent ya . sheesh at least let me get something to . :P

IB4OU2
10/17/2007, 03:33 PM
I'm still a platinum member on Dish but I plan to move in the next few weeks...What's the Direct TV package again and do they have the same number of HD channels as Dish?

SoonerBOI
10/17/2007, 03:50 PM
DirecTV is awesome. My only complaint is the lack of HD channels when OU plays on Fox Sports Net.

I would also highly recommend purchasing the TIVO HD receiver as I have found the DTV HD DVR to be nowhere near as good or reliable.

I've seen 2 OU games on chs 95/96 (Fox Sports Net) both in HD.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/17/2007, 04:47 PM
I'm still a platinum member on Dish but I plan to move in the next few weeks...What's the Direct TV package again and do they have the same number of HD channels as Dish?

I believe its the same amount of channels...i know its 10 bucks a month vs 20 a month for dish for hd channels

The deal I got was you get the all channel deal for free but you have to buy the nfl package at 70 a month to get it...got the HD DVR

RedNekkid
10/17/2007, 09:59 PM

I'd try calling them again and at the prompt say "cancel service". This gets you to the customer retention department. They will probably send you a new HD DVR and sat dish for free. You'll also probably be able to keep your HD Tivo too. This (http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=839938#post839938) is a good place for info.

Soonerus
10/17/2007, 10:04 PM
Direct has great customer support...

RedNekkid
10/17/2007, 10:05 PM

The HD DVR is much better now than it was when it first came out. I actually prefer it over my older Tivo now that I am used to it.
Also if you have a newer mpeg-4 receiver, then you get Fox Southwest and some other FSN's available in HD all the time as of Monday the 15th.

bluedogok
10/17/2007, 10:06 PM

I have watched some of the early games on CSN-HD until last week when it was on 95. Now that FSNSW HD is active, that is no longer an issue.

The HD-DirecTivo does not receive the new MPEG-4 channels, so for the most part it is worthless for all but SD programming and the few channels that get broadcast in the below 100 range which are said to be going away sometime in the future. I have the SD-DirecTivo and it is alright, my HR-20 is just as solid and in some ways I prefer it. I got my HR-20 and 5 LNB dish/multiswitch for the $20 shipping fee last fall, I know they have them Costco for around $200.

I have had DirecTV for almost 9 years and and have never had a desire to go back to cable.

Here are the current sports HD offerings on DirecTV.
73/206 - ESPN HD
72/209 - ESPN2 HD
212 - NFL Network HD
220 - Big Ten Network HD
245 - TNT HD
247 - TBS HD
604 - Versus/Golf HD
607 - Speed HD
612 - Fuel HD
622 - Yes HD
623 - NESN HD
625 - SNY HD
629 - CSN HD
636 - FSD HD
640 - CSNC HD
643 - FSN-SW HD
652 - FSN-W HD
653 - FSN-PT HD

Other current HD channels
74 - Universal HD
76 - Discovery HD Theater
78 - HDNet Movies HD
79 - HDNet
202 - CNN HD
229-1 HGTV HD
231-1 FoodTV HD
242 - USA HD
244 - SciFi HD
248 - FX HD
255 - MGM HD
265 - A&E HD
267 - Smithsonian HD
269 - History HD
273 - Bravo HD
276 - National Geographic HD
278 - Discovery HD
280 - TLC HD
282 - Animal Planet HD
284 - The Science Channel HD
296 - Toon HD
332 - Music: High Definition
355 - CNBC HD
359 - Fox Business News HD
362 - The Weather Channel HD
501 - HBO HD
504 - HBOW - HD
512 - Max HD
514 - MaxW HD
537 - Showtime HD
538 - Showtime 2 HD
540 - Showtime West HD
544 - TMC HD

Soonerus
10/17/2007, 10:13 PM
Plus, if you get the Fox sports package you can get virtually every football game played....and basketball...and local channels..

RedNekkid
10/17/2007, 10:15 PM
With more new HD channels being added weekly.

MamaMia
10/17/2007, 10:34 PM
I've decided to get the Direct TV. Should I just ask for the special or what to make sure I get all the OU football and basketball games? I'll want to record them too if I'm away. So should I get a Tivo or a DVR, or both?

Oh, and can you order movies? :)

bluedogok
10/17/2007, 10:56 PM
You can't get a Tivo through DirecTV anymore, they have their own branded DVR for either SD or HD. They do have PPV movies and events, I bought the Utah State game on there and every other game has been on the other included channels. The Sports Pack option gives you the regional sports networks. With the HD-DVR (HR-20) you can add an E-SATA (external SATA drive) for more storage capacity.

MamaMia
10/18/2007, 10:41 AM
I'm totally confused but I'll give them a call anyway and hope I get a good deal and the right package. :O

Scott D
10/18/2007, 01:45 PM
The nice thing I've got now, is that I can get a DirecTV DVR for free because we've been customers for so long. I'm just too lazy to schedule a visit by an installation tech to verify that our dish can handle it.

SoonerAcesUp
10/18/2007, 02:32 PM
Wow, I guess I'm behind the times. Everybody has HD now except me it looks like. I want an HD tv badly but if I get one I want to go all out and not get a cheap one (if there is such a thing) but the funds are little low right now so I better wait.

Norm In Norman
10/18/2007, 02:53 PM
I just upgraded to the 722 DVR on dish the day before OU/TX. It cost me $200, but I get a $100 rebate and free HD programming for 6 months (another $120). I looked at switching to DirecTV but the programming was going to be more expensive even though the HD package is twice as much (at least with the DVR advantage plan).

Besides that, the 722 is frickin' awesome. Everything I've seen says it's interface is a close 2nd to tivo and it blows away tivo on the speed of the guide and other operations. Anyway, it's just great. I've seen that the DirecTV DVR is usable but not anything to write home about.

A few weeks ago I would have said that Dish has way more channels than directv, but I've noticed DirecTV has added a ton of channels in the past week so it's pretty close now. They don't have all of the voom channels like dish, but I really don't watch those often anyway.

For some reason I get like 10 big 10 HD channels on dish. I don't care about the big 10, but it IS some extra football when nothing else is on. I would have preferred getting all of the Fox Sports net channels, although I'm happy as a lark getting FoxSportsSW-HD.

r5TPsooner
10/18/2007, 03:39 PM
Was the Mizzou-OU game in HD this weekend on DirecTV? I have the Fox Sports package and none of the channels carried it in HD. I'm not sure about channels 94 and 95, but when I tried to watch baseball games on either channel a couple of months ago, it gave me the I'm not subscribed to this channel dealio.

I'll check the Guide and see if channel 94 or 95 is showing the OU-ISU game in HD.

DTV channels 640 and 647 show that they are broadcasting the OU-ISU game in HD. However, when OU played CU, channel 647 showed the same thing and it was NOT broadcasted in HD. Channels 94 & 95 are coming up as of today "TBA" during the OU-ISU game start time.

Hopefully channel 640 will show it in HD.

IB4OU2
10/18/2007, 03:50 PM
Was the Mizzou-OU game in HD this weekend on DirecTV? I have the Fox Sports package and none of the channels carried it in HD. I'm not sure about channels 94 and 95, but when I tried to watch baseball games on either channel a couple of months ago, it gave me the I'm not subscribed to this channel dealio.

I'll check the Guide and see if channel 94 or 95 is showing the OU-ISU game in HD.

DTV channels 640 and 647 show that they are broadcasting the OU-ISU game in HD. However, when OU played CU, channel 647 showed the same thing and it was NOT broadcasted in HD. Channels 94 & 95 are coming up as of today "TBA" during the OU-ISU game start time.

Yes, I recorded the OU Mizzou game in HD I think the HD channel for FSW is channel 366 on DISH when then normal broadcast was on DISH channel 416 and I also watched/recorded the OU/CU game in HD though I probably will never watch it again.

SoonerBOI
10/18/2007, 06:03 PM

OU-Mizzou was in HD ch. 96. OU-IOWA State will be on ch 96 FSN HD.

bluedogok
10/18/2007, 09:07 PM
If you do not have one of the DirecTV MPEG-4 capable receivers, then you might try the 95/96 as those are the MPEG-2 mirrors. If you do have one of the new receivers then it should be on 643 in HD. Those just came online this week, I watched some of the Big 12 games in HD on CSN-Chicago the past couple of weeks.

r5TPsooner
10/18/2007, 11:12 PM
I have all of the new stuff so it better be in HD or DTV is gonna get an earful.

Sooner_Bob
10/18/2007, 11:14 PM

Did you ask them to send you a free B Band Converter? If you've got a receiver that's only a couple of years old that should be all you'd need. Be sure to ask for two of them since you have a DVR.

You'd also need the new 5 LNB Slimline dish . . .

Sooner_Bob
10/18/2007, 11:15 PM

The Missouri game was in HD on 95 . . .

Sooner_Bob
10/18/2007, 11:20 PM
There's a free DVR upgrade code floating around on the dbstalk forums. I'll see if I can find it.

Found it: DVR4U2

It should at least give you a free standard DVR, it did for me last week . . . I'm not sure if it's good for the HD DVR's.