PDA

View Full Version : Ivan Maisel givin love to English

jonpon
10/17/2007, 12:45 PM
Great story on Auston....Second story down.

Link
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebook?page=iform077

Defense Is English's First Language
When preseason practice began at Oklahoma in August, two of the biggest questions had to be answered at quarterback and defensive end. On the former, redshirt freshman Sam Bradford has become the nation's most efficient passer and gathered the headlines that good quarterbacks gather.

Auston English has answered questions about Oklahoma's issues at defensive end.
On the latter, however, redshirt sophomore Auston English has made as big an impact on the Sooners' defense as an end can make. English leads the Big 12 with 7½ sacks, and his 11 tackles for loss rank 11th in the country.

That's not bad for a Canadian native -- Canadian, Texas, that is, a town of 2,250 in the top-right corner of the panhandle (this weekend's Fall Foliage Festival includes a Family Cow Milk, horse-drawn wagon rides and Campfire Saturday Night).

English has made the leap from 2A Texas high school football to All-American contention, which is amazing when you consider that English can remember playing against only one other I-A scholarship player in high school. In English's senior year, Canadian High beat Tuscola's Jim Ned High (quarterbacked by Colt McCoy) 32-27 to reach the quarterfinals of the state playoffs.

McCoy now quarterbacks Texas. English is now 2-0 against him, sacking McCoy twice in the Sooners' 28-21 defeat of the Longhorns on Oct. 6. They talked on the field after the game.

"I wished him good luck," English said. "He's a good guy, a real nice person."

At 6-foot-3, 257 pounds, English has been too fast for most offensive tackles to catch and strong enough to deal with those who can.

"The guy is so athletic, it's unbelievable," coach Bob Stoops said. "He can play linebacker. He could play standup on those 3-4 teams. He could be a rush guy like he is. He's a heck of an athlete, and the guy's got a motor like nobody. He runs a quarterback [McCoy] down on the sideline last week, and we're looking to spell him, and he's waving us off. No, he's not coming out. Not everyone has the ability, stamina-wise, to be able to do it. And he's only a sophomore."

There is little in English's play to suggest that he's only 20 years old.

"I guess I've gotten a little more confidence in myself," English said, "just knowing that, 'Hey, I can actually play a little bit.' Just the experience of the game, just knowing that you can do it, knowing you've got the ability to do it."

Only when English volunteers his biggest individual goal does his lack of experience reveal itself. Staying sharp mentally, play after play, is a mountain all young players must learn to climb.

"Focus," English said. "At times, I feel myself slipping. You get antsy and want to make a play. You forget your presnap read, where if the back is here, they like to do this, and [try to] go play like you did in high school. [College football] is a whole different game. Focus, focus and more focus."

Soonermagik
10/17/2007, 12:57 PM
Good read. The guy is a stud and given a few more years should be one of the most dominant defensive ends in the league.

SoonerBOI
10/17/2007, 01:22 PM
I'll call him "The BIG Difference".

fadada1
10/17/2007, 01:34 PM
don't see too many 20 year olds that understand the importance of focus and it's role in success. usually takes a little more maturity and experience with the world.

great read.

85sooners
10/17/2007, 01:38 PM
nice article

Crimson Kid
10/17/2007, 02:14 PM
Austin is my fav player on the team.

boomersooner28
10/17/2007, 02:17 PM
VERY nice! Keep working Austin, it'll pay off BIG one day.

birddog
10/17/2007, 02:23 PM
auston

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/17/2007, 02:27 PM
I was a little afraid to click on this thread....:eek:

Crucifax Autumn
10/18/2007, 12:49 AM
Very good article. Thanks.

swardboy
10/18/2007, 07:17 AM
Interesting how two of our biggest question marks at the start of the season become our biggest strengths.....that's a blend of athleticism, intelligence, and good coachin'.

zeke
10/18/2007, 07:28 AM
Good read

Thanks for posting it.

setem
10/18/2007, 07:35 AM
The kid reminds me of Dan Cody but with a better game and no mental problems!!!

YOU JUST GOT AN ENGLISH LESSON!!!

stoopified
10/18/2007, 01:10 PM
I'll call him "The BIG Difference".
I like that.Bradford is THE ANSWER and English is THE DIFFERENCE.

ClintonSooner
10/18/2007, 01:35 PM
uhh 1,200$ ???