PDA

View Full Version : Remorse for Nebraska Football

IB4OU2
10/17/2007, 11:39 AM
I don't like it and it does our league no good. I remember the days of Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne football and it was a great rivalry and had such great tradition. I always had great respect for their program and I'm looking forward to when they can right their ship and become the Nebraska of old.

Here's to Tom in his quest and screw Callahan for getting them to this point.

Desert Sapper
10/17/2007, 11:50 AM
They'll find somebody. And that somebody will resurrect them.

CitySooner
10/17/2007, 11:52 AM
Yeah, its really too bad about what has become of the Huskers. When I lived in New Mexico back in the 80's I had a good friend there who was a huge Husker fan, and we got together every year to watch the 'Big Red Shootout'. We both had mutual respect for each other's squad like everyone else who followed this great rivalry. I am truly afraid that it will be a long, long time before Nebraska will recover, and if at all. We must realize Sooner fans that fortune does not come often, and we were VERY fortunate to find a man (who was right around '40') who was not only a great coach and motivator, but one who EMBRACED the tradition of our great institution. The question is will Nebraska have the fortune that we had? Remember what we had only a short 12 years ago, nor do I need to remind you? Maybe the 'Great Mangino' has started something in Lawrence, perhaps the new power of the north? :rolleyes: Just funnin'.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/17/2007, 11:53 AM
I'm afraid they are still 2 coaches away though.

Sooner in Tampa
10/17/2007, 12:04 PM
Sorry folks...I say **** 'EM...do you think they actually had any sympathy for us in the 90's? Hell no, they laughted their corn eatin a$$es off.

Plus, when they hired Callenberger, I knew they were in for some trouble...his record @ Oakland speaks for itself. The players wanted to kick his a$$

KRYPTON
10/17/2007, 12:05 PM
After the way they acted in the mid-90's (RUTSing us), after the Callaberger throat slash hillbilly extravaganza, F'em. Hopefully the next guy, or the guy after that, or the guy after that can bring some respectability back to the place.

Desert Sapper
10/17/2007, 12:12 PM
I'm afraid they are still 2 coaches away though.

I guess that would be in keeping with the standard we set:

Osborne = The King
Solich = Gibbs
Callahan = Smellsofbourbon
?? = Boo
?? = Bob

I just think Callahan has been a Schnellenburger/Boo Blake morph (partly thanks to Boo himself).

IronSooner
10/17/2007, 12:38 PM
Yep. F'em. It's about time they got to deal with mediocrity and see the other side of a blowout game or ten. I'm personally waiting to see how that home sellout record fares.

aurorasooner
10/17/2007, 12:40 PM
I'm guessing that whoever Nebraska picks as a head coach that Greg Robinson will be their next DC after getting fired up at Syracuse. Their defense will remain sH&^^ty for at least another 2 years and we avenge that 70 point Boo Blake fiasco in front of the red sea in Lincoln.

TUSooner
10/17/2007, 12:41 PM
Are the people rejoicing over Neb's downfall the same folks who lament the so-called decay of the Big XII?

That would be illogical.

SoonerPhil8
10/17/2007, 12:49 PM
When did Greg Robinson get fired?

The
10/17/2007, 12:53 PM
I have no remorse because this collapse hurts
"the classiest fans in all of football". :rolleyes:
I still hate them for keying my car in 1973. I went to their game vs kstate in Manhattan. Some turds did not like my home made Boomer Sooner sign.

How do you know it t'wern't the KSUers?
You t'were in the Manhattens...

Ardmore_Sooner
10/17/2007, 12:55 PM
They had so much remorse for us during the Blake years :rolleyes:

OUDoc
10/17/2007, 12:57 PM
How do you know it t'wern't the KSUers?
You t'were in the Manhattens...
There were no K-State fans in 1973. They were invented by Bill Snyder in the 1990's.

r5TPsooner
10/17/2007, 12:58 PM
A little dose of humble pie does everyone some good IMHO. It happened to OU and made us stronger and a better program, now it's time to see how NU handles this.

It seems to me that they have already taken the next step. However, I hope they go 0fer for the remaining of the year.

OU Adonis
10/17/2007, 01:01 PM
The 90's sucked thats for sure but I thought it was our job to stop them from scoring?

Sooner in Tampa
10/17/2007, 01:01 PM
Are the people rejoicing over Neb's downfall the same folks who lament the so-called decay of the Big XII?

That would be illogical.I think that as one program falls another one rises...i.e. Missouri and Kansas. It is cyclical.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/17/2007, 01:08 PM
Nebbish on the rocks is a help with our recruiting. Yeah, it's a good thing for the Sooners. Too bad we don't get to play them this year.

Sooner Eclipse
10/17/2007, 01:38 PM

Osborne = The King
Solich = Gibbs
Callahan = Smellsofbourbon
?? = Boo
?? = Bob

I just think Callahan has been a Schnellenburger/Boo Blake morph (partly thanks to Boo himself).

With all of the relating our previous situation to theirs, can someone refresh my memory of how our AD situation related to coaching hires. Did Donnie D hire Smelly? I seem to remember Steve Owens being the AD during the Boo Blake hire, is that true? Seem to remember that Owens didn't really seem to excited about having the job. I know that Joe C. first hire was Stoops.

I wonder if having Osborne in charge of all this is such a good thing for them. It might be more appropriate to have Osborne find the right AD for them. You know, one that's not the gigantic AZZ that Pederson was.

85sooners
10/17/2007, 01:44 PM
lol at the husker nation

Veritas
10/17/2007, 03:55 PM
It might be more appropriate to have Osborne find the right AD for them. You know, one that's not the gigantic AZZ that Pederson was.
That's why he's the interim AD. He will be finding the permanent AD.

On a side note you guys have to be getting sick of Husker threads.

(If that's not a tee up for a "fixed" I dunno what is.)

mdklatt
10/17/2007, 03:59 PM

We're playing Iowa State this week, so not at all. :D

Sooner Eclipse
10/17/2007, 04:07 PM
That's why he's the interim AD. He will be finding the permanent AD.

(If that's not a tee up for a "fixed" I dunno what is.)

Well, if thats what he does, then good on him.

Just seems all the talk is about Pelini, Kelly, etc. I think slash is gone and a new coach is hired before anyone even starts mentioning a permanent replacement for Pederson.

Harry Beanbag
10/17/2007, 04:30 PM
Let 'em suffer. Sorry Veritas.

badger
10/17/2007, 05:40 PM
Lest we forget...
1997: Nebraska 69, OU 7
1996: Nebraska 73, OU 21
1995: Nebraska 37, OU 3

SCREW THE BUGEATERS! Make them eat bugs!

Big Red Ron
10/17/2007, 09:51 PM
I don't like it and it does our league no good. I remember the days of Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne football and it was a great rivalry and had such great tradition. I always had great respect for their program and I'm looking forward to when they can right their ship and become the Nebraska of old.

Here's to Tom in his quest and screw Callahan for getting them to this point.eff'em and eff him too.

badger
10/17/2007, 09:56 PM
I like rivalries, I really do. However, I would much prefer to be on the winning side than to have our #1 spot questioned :D

Therefore, to all teams who enjoyed embarrassing us in the past... "make 7 up yours."

47straight
10/17/2007, 10:05 PM
I used to think huskers were a classy bunch till I lived in the same complex with a player from the 94/95 teams. He acted like a ***** and talked a lot of **** about OU when I said I was from Oklahoma.

Maybe I don't want Nebraska to keep sucking, but I sure wish I still lived across the way from that guy. :)

The VIIIth
10/17/2007, 10:06 PM
Let's face it, their recent fortunes have almost exactly paralleled ours through the 90's. Lost a lengendary coach. Hired a trusted assistant. Fired said assistant (Gary Gibbs)(Frank Solich)because of poor recruiting perception, failure to beat rivals and antiquated offense(option) even though the two replacements were left with empty cupboards by their famous predecessors.

Both teams hired, in NU's sake their 6th choice, Oklahoma landed on John Blake after several looks and offers elsewhere post Schenellenberger, who was not our 1st choice by a long shot either and Owens was pressured by Switz to hire Boo Blake. Bingo, gradual descent of program culminating in the bull$hit that happened when we lost 69-7 to...Nebraska. The Sooner Nation then melted down.

Unfortunately TO is not the man for the AD job. This decision just underscores the pattern of similarity between the two schools. Nebbish hires TO, we hired Steve Owens who was woefully inept and ill prepared for the job. The same will ring true with Osborne. He'll probably hire Solich[hairGel] Regardless, it will probably be a member of the Cornhusker family and it will eventually prove to be a mistake.

The Weak, but beloved AD caves to pressure and has no earthly idea of who the hot coaches are in the NCAA. Watch this play out...TO will make a bad hire.

It's almost preordained.

Big Red Ron
10/17/2007, 10:13 PM
I honestly don't think Neb. will ever be "back." They have no natural recruiting territory and there isn't nearly enough talent in Neb HS football to sustain them.

We had Oklahoma's best and Texas' best and an annual game in Dallas.

Soonerus
10/17/2007, 10:17 PM
I think Nebraska will be back but it will take some time...it is a priority in Nebraska...

Curly Bill
10/17/2007, 10:23 PM
I honestly don't think Neb. will ever be "back." They have no natural recruiting territory and there isn't nearly enough talent in Neb HS football to sustain them.

We had Oklahoma's best and Texas' best and an annual game in Dallas.

Very good point, echoing what one of the talking heads (they're all alike so don't remember which one) was saying on TV today. He also pointed out that at one time Nebish was at the forefront of the strength and conditioning game giving them an advantage, but now eveyone else has caught up or passed them in that regard. I do seem to remember that their linemen and those I-backs often did seem to be mighty stout, more so then lots of the teams they were playing anyway.

Big Red Ron
10/17/2007, 10:42 PM
Very good point, echoing what one of the talking heads (they're all alike so don't remember which one) was saying on TV today. He also pointed out that at one time Nebish was at the forefront of the strength and conditioning game giving them an advantage, but now eveyone else has caught up or passed them in that regard. I do seem to remember that their linemen and those I-backs often did seem to be mighty stout, more so then lots of the teams they were playing anyway.Let's not forget their legendary, "walk on program.":rolleyes:

Curly Bill
10/17/2007, 10:48 PM
Let's not forget their legendary, "walk on program.":rolleyes:

I'm guessing this meant players were "walking on" but were getting some sort of assistance of a double top secret financial nature? So's to avoid scholly limits and such...?

Big Red Ron
10/17/2007, 10:59 PM
I'm guessing this meant players were "walking on" but were getting some sort of assistance of a double top secret financial nature? So's to avoid scholly limits and such...?Well documented. Players with D1 schollys were walking on at NU and living with families near campus. It was borderline illegal, they were "asked" to stop by the NCAA. Just think if it were Caligan doing it instead of tom?

Curly Bill
10/17/2007, 11:14 PM
Well documented. Players with D1 schollys were walking on at NU and living with families near campus. It was borderline illegal, they were "asked" to stop by the NCAA. Just think if it were Caligan doing it instead of tom?

Maybe Caligan should give it a shot. What's there to lose?

...maybe that's why they brought Tom back, to get this up and running again... ;)

Big Red Ron
10/17/2007, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see tom be interem HC at some point.

Purple Tiger
10/17/2007, 11:40 PM
There were no K-State fans in 1973. They were invented by Bill Snyder in the 1990's.
Now,that's funny!

Harry Beanbag
10/18/2007, 07:06 AM
He also pointed out that at one time Nebish was at the forefront of the strength and conditioning game giving them an advantage, but now eveyone else has caught up or passed them in that regard. I do seem to remember that their linemen and those I-backs often did seem to be mighty stout, more so then lots of the teams they were playing anyway.

That was steroids.

Curly Bill
10/18/2007, 07:53 AM
That was steroids.

Probably so...:(

Veritas
10/18/2007, 07:54 AM
Well documented. Players with D1 schollys were walking on at NU and living with families near campus. It was borderline illegal, they were "asked" to stop by the NCAA.
Can you substantiate that? That's a new one for me.

That was steroids.
coughbozcough ;)

I'd be willing to bet that if we jumped in a time machine and went a-testin' that steroid use was pretty rampant across all of the front runners during the '80s.

royalfan5
10/18/2007, 08:55 AM
Well documented. Players with D1 schollys were walking on at NU and living with families near campus. It was borderline illegal, they were "asked" to stop by the NCAA. Just think if it were Caligan doing it instead of tom?
That's a new variant on the legendary county scholarship program.

TexasLidig8r
10/18/2007, 09:12 AM

Osborne = The King = DKR
Solich = Gibbs = Fred Akers
Callahan = Smellsofbourbon = McWilliams
?? = Boo = Mackovic
?? = Bob = Macky Mack

It's easy to be classy when you're kicking everyone's arse.

cheezyq
10/18/2007, 09:13 AM
I have no remorse because this collapse hurts
"the classiest fans in all of football". :rolleyes:

I'm just wondering when wearing suspenders with no shirt and donning hats shaped of corn became "classy".

I miss the rivalries between the schools, and as frustrating as it was, I could tolerate when Osborne beat us, because he's a dang good coach. There's no way I could stomach a loss to Callahan.

badger
10/18/2007, 09:25 AM
There's no way I could stomach a loss to Callahan.
Please... were you ever worried?
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6240/orangesbj3.jpg

MiccoMacey
10/18/2007, 09:31 AM
Remorse for Nebraska...not while Callahan is the Head Coach.

royalfan5
10/18/2007, 09:33 AM
I'm just wondering when wearing suspenders with no shirt and donning hats shaped of corn became "classy".

I miss the rivalries between the schools, and as frustrating as it was, I could tolerate when Osborne beat us, because he's a dang good coach. There's no way I could stomach a loss to Callahan.
Because fans at other schools always dress for games like they are going to the country club?

badger
10/18/2007, 10:04 AM
Because fans at other schools always dress for games like they are going to the country club?
Only OU fans :D

Seriously, if I had any complaint about our fanbase, it would be the large amount of weird colored polo shirts among our alumni/hardcore donors. Seriously, if we ever ATTEMPT a white-out of crimson-out at a game, these guys would show up in blue... or green... or yellow, as the case may be.

To their credit, at least they don't show up in orange. It would make me wanna puke[hairGel]

r5TPsooner
10/18/2007, 10:13 AM
Bo Pelini, please pick up the res courtesy phone.

Maybe they can get Houston Nuttjob this time?

Veritas
10/18/2007, 10:23 AM
There's no way I could stomach a loss to Callahan.
And you'll never ever have to.

MiccoMacey
10/18/2007, 10:26 AM
V,

What's the justification people are using to keep Callahan?

royalfan5
10/18/2007, 10:37 AM
V,

It's not Friday yet, and you always want to do firings on Fridays.

Veritas
10/18/2007, 11:01 AM
V,

The only people that I know that DON'T want him canned are the posters at a message board known as the Big Red Board.

Everyone else wants him gone sooner rather than later.

The best way that I can explain the atmosphere is that it's like fans (myself included) just woke up and has realized what a bunch of arrogant/incompetent ***-clowns these guys really are. There has been some criticism of the decision to bring in Tom Osborne (and again, I had some doubts), but he is the right (and only) guy that can repair the damage that has been caused to the athletic department as a whole, not just football.

handcrafted
10/18/2007, 11:27 AM
TO is the only guy currently in the Nebbish football program who is not an asshat.

Will you get your John Blake, or will you move immediately to your Bob Stoops? We shall see.

royalfan5
10/18/2007, 11:29 AM
TO is the only guy currently in the Nebbish football program who is not an asshat.

Will you get your John Blake, or will you move immediately to your Bob Stoops? We shall see.
I'm pretty sure there is a student manager or asst. trainer that might be a decent guy.

GoState
10/18/2007, 11:49 AM
It's easy to be classy when you're kicking everyone's arse.

For what it's worth, we had a great time at the game in Lincoln. I think the 'harshest' thing we heard was, "you're wearing the wrong colors". The fans really are pleasant there. After the game, we chatted and drank with many NU fans and they were in good humor for the most part, considering what happened on the field and with their program in general.

badger
10/18/2007, 11:57 AM
For what it's worth, we had a great time at the game in Lincoln. I think the 'harshest' thing we heard was, "you're wearing the wrong colors". The fans really are pleasant there. After the game, we chatted and drank with many NU fans and they were in good humor for the most part, considering what happened on the field and with their program in general.
If it's easy to be polite when you're crushing opponents, imagine how easy it would be to share beer with a conference foe knowing that your mediocre coach that drove your program into the ground, and the Howard Smells-like-bourbon-actalike that hired him were going to be gone by next season?

As they say after the Super Bowl, "tomorrow, we're all undefeated"
Nebraska's drinking to next season... "a toast... to when we will surely beat you by twelve dozen"

Sooner in Tampa
10/18/2007, 12:09 PM
I normally don't give a $hit about 'spek...but WTF does this mean...dooooooshbag

Competition is good. We live in America
Nebbish sucks right now and I don't have any remorse...just like they didn't when we sucked...so...**** off dip ****

r5TPsooner
10/18/2007, 01:14 PM
NU could go 0fer the rest of my life and I wouldn't shed one damned tear for them.

stoopified
10/18/2007, 01:17 PM
NU could go 0fer the rest of my life and I wouldn't shed one damned tear for them.
I'm with you.

Sooner in Tampa
10/18/2007, 02:21 PM
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

IB4OU2
10/18/2007, 04:05 PM
Well, I know I'm pretty old and my take on Nebraska's downfall is akin to a couple of World Class prize fighters that have been fighting big fights for years and one fighter finds out the other has cancer and won't be the same adversary he was in the past.

Desert Sapper
10/18/2007, 04:52 PM
Seems like having a powerhouse in the North could do nothing but strengthen the conference, which in turn strengthens OU. I want to win as much as anybody else in Crimson and Cream, but I want to beat good teams in the Big XII Championship, not sacrificial lambs. I don't really care if the powerhouse of the North is Nebraska or somebody else, but at least Nebraska has a football tradition. Does anybody else in the North?

Edit: Oh, and I miss playing Nebraska every year. That's one thing I may never forgive the Big XII for.

The VIIIth
10/18/2007, 08:41 PM
I normally don't give a $hit about 'spek...but WTF does this mean...dooooooshbag

Nebbish sucks right now and I don't have any remorse...just like they didn't when we sucked...so...**** off dip ****

Red War Pony. She was brutal during the Bleak era. Don't know if any of you remember her. She disappeared about the same time the Solich did...what a witch.

I think she's 40 now.

PLaw
10/18/2007, 11:13 PM

Here's to Tom in his quest and screw Callahan for getting them to this point.

The Nebraska situation is really a mixed bag. The Big 12 needs NU to be a national power. I also have deep respect for NU and their program.

That said, there is no doubt in my mind that NU kids were doing roids in the 80's. Remington was a prime example. I also have no doubt that there was pay for play with envelopes in the locker room after games.

It really tics me off that Osborn is reverred while Switzer is shamed by the college football community. It also blows my mind that NU has never been on the NCAA radar despite some of the stuff that has gone on up there.

Therefore, the only conclusion I can make is to kick the dog while it is down. So Dale Hansen can KMA with his hypocritical Barry is a criminal shtick. In case you aren't in the DFW TV market area, Dale is a NU homer that does sports radio and is the sports anchor on the ABC affiliate.

BOOMER
PLaw

SoonerDood
10/18/2007, 11:45 PM
It really tics me off that Osborn is reverred while Switzer is shamed by the college football community. It also blows my mind that NU has never been on the NCAA radar despite some of the stuff that has gone on up there.

There's no Nebraska State to turn in Big Brother like there is in Oklahoma.
And yes, it sucks that Tacky Tom is placed on such a high pedestal with his "Strength and Conditioning Program" and "Walk-on Program" practices.

Hella Sideburns
10/19/2007, 02:36 AM
I sort of agree in that on one hand, i would like to beat them when they're good. Of course, on the other hand, Callahan can eat a fat ****.

Soonerfan1993
10/19/2007, 02:43 AM
I'm afraid they are done in being a national championship contender while Bob Stoops is at OU and Mack Brown is at Texas.

From 73-88 Nebraska was what Texas is to us today.

Nebraska is done.

Big Red Ron
10/19/2007, 07:32 PM
Nebraska is done.They had a nice run.

trwxxa
10/19/2007, 07:56 PM
There's no Nebraska State to turn in Big Brother like there is in Oklahoma.
And yes, it sucks that Tacky Tom is placed on such a high pedestal with his "Strength and Conditioning Program" and "Walk-on Program" practices.

They have not been the same since they had to shut down the "County Scholarship" program.

I am a little sad since I grew up in the OU/NU heyday but, Nebraska has become irrelevant. I hope they make it back in a few years.

10/19/2007, 08:29 PM
Feeling for nebs being down is much like how I feel about uMiami being down, except Miami never put a slaughter on the Sooners like Gentleman Tom did.

Soonerfan88
10/19/2007, 08:43 PM
From my experience, Nebbish fans are only "classy" on Saturday. And even that has changed under HillBilly.

Osborne's teams were as bad & probably even worse than Switzer's. However, the locals (media & law) wouldn't dare let such things about their sainted coach or his players become national news as those in Oklahoma did.

Since the change of the guard in the AD's office, I've heard 2 things said over and over: 1) TO is the only one we trust to make the right decisions and clean up this mess 2) We need to get back to Nebraska tradition and keep it in the family. Obviously, memories are short or more likely very selective in NE these days. Steve Pederson is a native Nebraskan, NU alum, and he came highly recommended by Tom Osborne himself.

Maybe this time Tom will call his good friend Barry Switzer and take his sincere recommendation that Nebbish bring back John Blake. :pop:

TAFBSooner
10/20/2007, 12:13 AM

there were, however, K-State @$$-holes in the 70's.:mad:

royalfan5
10/20/2007, 12:23 AM
The Nebraska situation is really a mixed bag. The Big 12 needs NU to be a national power. I also have deep respect for NU and their program.

That said, there is no doubt in my mind that NU kids were doing roids in the 80's. Remington was a prime example. I also have no doubt that there was pay for play with envelopes in the locker room after games.

Therefore, the only conclusion I can make is to kick the dog while it is down. So Dale Hansen can KMA with his hypocritical Barry is a criminal shtick. In case you aren't in the DFW TV market area, Dale is a NU homer that does sports radio and is the sports anchor on the ABC affiliate.

BOOMER
PLaw

You are aggie dumb if you actually believe the county scholarship myth. Sure plenty of players used roids, but somehow I doubt Nebraska was the only one with players doing that. Cough Bosworth Cough.

47straight
10/20/2007, 01:23 AM
You are aggie dumb if you actually believe the county scholarship myth. Sure plenty of players used roids, but somehow I doubt Nebraska was the only one with players doing that. Cough Bosworth Cough.

Cough Lohr cough. Cough late-onset-of-acne-and-a-bigger-head cough.

Crucifax Autumn
10/20/2007, 01:39 AM
I just wanted to cough.

Leroy Lizard
10/20/2007, 04:05 AM
Remember when Switzer joked that Osborne's players were doing steroids?

10/20/2007, 05:17 AM

Two things cross my mind...

http://www.getreligion.org/wp-content/photos/kleenex.jpg

and Salad Fingers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gNktI3AF4Q

royalfan5
10/20/2007, 08:19 AM
Cough Lohr cough. Cough late-onset-of-acne-and-a-bigger-head cough.
I'm guessing OU had some other players take steroids too, just like every other program. It's something that unfortunately part of the game. It's not like steroids weren't widely used in the 1980's and 1990's by a lot of athletes. Thinking that Nebraska was the only program doing it is wishful thinking.

PLaw
10/20/2007, 08:23 AM
I'm afraid they are done in being a national championship contender while Bob Stoops is at OU and Mack Brown is at Texas.

From 73-88 Nebraska was what Texas is to us today.

Nebraska is done.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the "stuff" with the corn heads goes back as far as the stuff with the T-sips. In the Big 6 and Big 8 days, it used to be 1A and 1B. Today, Texas is clearly the one to beat, but whenever little red is on the schedule they are close second.

BTW, when did we ever concede the "BIG RED" moniker to those 'roid eating farmers?? OU has always been THE Big Red.

BOOMER
PLAW

phead903
10/20/2007, 08:35 AM
It's not Friday yet, and you always want to do firings on Fridays.

http://sp1.mm-a11.yimg.com/image/188288270 (http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fs earch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dthe%2Bbobs%2Bfrom%2Boffice%2B space%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dyfp-t-304%26x%3Dwrt%26js%3D1%26ni%3D21&w=500&h=271&imgurl=static.flickr.com%2F24%2F45501503_59464722f c_m.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fbarely fitz%2F45501503%2F&size=79.1kB&name=45501503_59464722fc.jpg&p=the+bobs+from+office+space&type=jpeg&no=3&tt=12&oid=1871ddac1b1a505e&fusr=BarelyFitz&tit=What+would+you+say...+ya+do+here%3F&hurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fbarely fitz%2F&ei=UTF-8&src=p)

"Thanks for coming by, Coach Callahan"

Big Red Ron
10/20/2007, 10:00 AM
I'm guessing OU had some other players take steroids too, just like every other program. It's something that unfortunately part of the game. It's not like steroids weren't widely used in the 1980's and 1990's by a lot of athletes. Thinking that Nebraska was the only program doing it is wishful thinking.[hairGel] That ain't true, inacrit.[hairGel]

47straight
10/20/2007, 10:37 AM
I'm guessing OU had some other players take steroids too, just like every other program. It's something that unfortunately part of the game. It's not like steroids weren't widely used in the 1980's and 1990's by a lot of athletes. Thinking that Nebraska was the only program doing it is wishful thinking.

Not as wishful as thinking that I said Nebraska was the only one doing it.

But if if you're gonna put words in my mouth... There's only ONE --- program that turned many slow white boy walk-on's from rural towns into All-Americans.

Stitch Face
10/20/2007, 10:45 AM
BTW, when did we ever concede the "BIG RED" moniker to those 'roid eating farmers??

When Crimson and Cream became popular. Can't be red when you're crimson.

royalfan5
10/20/2007, 10:53 AM
Not as wishful as thinking that I said Nebraska was the only one doing it.

But if if you're gonna put words in my mouth... There's only ONE --- program that turned many slow white boy walk-on's from rural towns into All-Americans.
As slow linemen. There are a lot of big strong people up here walking around without roids. The farm makes people strong and teaches leverage. That might have something to do with it too. Nebraska was the first program to emphasize S&C as well. Perhaps figuring that out first provided a real advantage as well.

10/20/2007, 11:01 AM
BTW, when did we ever concede the "BIG RED" moniker to those 'roid eating farmers?? OU has always been THE Big Red.

BOOMER
PLAWI believe over time, Sooners just quit yelling it so much. I think we just prefer to yell "Go Sooners" or "GooooOOOOU" more than "Go Big Red". We reserve the right to bring it out when we feel like it, though.

Big Red Ron
10/20/2007, 11:51 AM
When Crimson and Cream became popular. Can't be red when you're crimson.Inacrit[hairGel]

We still say it at every game, about ten times a game. We started using "Big Red" in the 1930's. I think it was coach Luster that started it. Neb started in the late 1970's. We really lost it during the 90's, combined with the fact that Neb hates the name Corn huskers, so they started calling themselves Big Red as a primary name.

It's all pretty silly but Neb. pulled and Okie st on one of our traditions.

And yes, I realize Harvard used it first but who the heck cares about them.