PDA

View Full Version : Osbourne: "We won't surrender the B12 to OSU and Baylor"

Blitzkrieg
10/17/2007, 10:16 AM
Osbourne won't be able to fix that mess. What will Petersons and Callenburgers buyouts be? 2 million?

The old man was a good coach, but that doesn't always mean you can do everything else. Anyone want to put Switzer in charge of the OU AD? Yeeeiiikes. The IRS would open a new division and build a new headquarters in Norman for that.

Nebraska will bounce back, there's simply too much passion and $$$$ for them not too. I hear Fran is available soon. I can't help but think if Osbourne makes the call, Turner Gill will be the new coach. In the end, Stoops will own whoever they hire, and we'll erase the wins from the 90's when they rolled us like a drunk.

AlabamaSooner
10/17/2007, 10:33 AM
I've got a lot of respect for the NU program, but I sure wish we played them this year. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to get a couple of butt-whippings in there for the 90's. I still don't know why 30-3 wasn't worse.

MojoRisen
10/17/2007, 10:34 AM
I hear one of the Bowdens are available -

Widescreen
10/17/2007, 10:55 AM
I still don't know why 30-3 wasn't worse.
Because Callafran had the wimpiest game plan ever devised. He wasn't interested in scoring. He just wanted to shorten the game at all costs.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/17/2007, 11:05 AM
Osbourne won't be able to fix that mess. What will Petersons and Callenburgers buyouts be? 2 million?

The old man was a good coach, but that doesn't always mean you can do everything else. Anyone want to put Switzer in charge of the OU AD? Yeeeiiikes. The IRS would open a new division and build a new headquarters in Norman for that.

Nebraska will bounce back, there's simply too much passion and $$$$ for them not too. I hear Fran is available soon. I can't help but think if Osbourne makes the call, Turner Gill will be the new coach. In the end, Stoops will own whoever they hire, and we'll erase the wins from the 90's when they rolled us like a drunk.Well said. I believe it, too. They will have to get Bilachick(sp?) or Tony Dungee or somebody like that to really revive the program. IMO, the greatest recent hire by a college team I can think of is ASU getting Dennis Erickson.

SoonerAcesUp
10/17/2007, 11:06 AM
Not that I want to Nebraska to be really good, but I think they should go after Tuberville. His teams know how to play some defense.

stoopified
10/17/2007, 11:24 AM
What does Qzzie know about American football?Tom Osborne on the other hand KNOWS he has his work cut out for him.

85sooners
10/17/2007, 01:53 PM
I hear one of the Bowdens are available -:confused:

yermom
10/17/2007, 02:12 PM
Terry Bowden is rumored to want to get back into coaching. he's been hanging out on the sideline with his dad's and brother's teams lately

OUDoc
10/17/2007, 02:17 PM
Terry Bowden is rumored to want to get back into coaching. he's been hanging out on the sideline with his dad's and brother's teams lately
Probably be better off hiring Mrs. Bowden.

silverwheels
10/17/2007, 02:25 PM
I don't know if I could handle little Terry being in the Big 12. When he gains weight, he looks like Robert Allen, and there's not room enough for two Robert Allens in this conference.

They need to go after a defensive-minded coach who can restore the Blackshirts and get an OC who will return the running game. It doesn't even have to be the option; they just need to run the ball, because that's Nebraska.

SicEmBaylor
10/17/2007, 02:31 PM
I know you OU fans love Nebraska in some weird bizzare way.

I, however, loathe Nebraska and I can't imagine why their fans are considered so classy.

Veritas
10/17/2007, 02:35 PM
Ahem, it's spelled "Osborne."

colleyvillesooner
10/17/2007, 02:55 PM

I, however, loathe Nebraska and I can't imagine why their fans are considered so classy.

Cause they are?

SicEmBaylor
10/17/2007, 03:17 PM
Cause they are?
They're sure as hell not when they come down here. Perhaps they're only classy with teams that have earned their respect?

SoonerBOI
10/17/2007, 03:18 PM
uso will win the BIG IIX title this year.:D

Veritas
10/17/2007, 03:19 PM
They're sure as hell not when they come down here.
What happened?

yermom
10/17/2007, 03:21 PM
i try not to let Veritas count against them too much

SicEmBaylor
10/17/2007, 03:38 PM
Veritas is fine.

Everytime they play down here their fans are just down right rude. A couple of things have been directed toward me, but I know plenty of other people who have had similar run ins with them.

I was going to tailgate before one Nebraska game, and I ran to Wal-Mart to pick up some last minute items. This middle aged Husker fan is getting into his car across from me and sees that I'm from Baylor. He flips me off and says, "F-BAYLOR!"

That seems pretty par for the course for them. In fact, OSU fans act very very similar to Husker fans when they're in town. Aggies are the worst of course when they come to Waco, but I put them into a whole different category.

OU and UT fans are the best. Tech may be considered "bad" if they weren't that way everywhere they went, so I give them a pass. Plus, the Tech folks are more happy go lucky.

Veritas
10/17/2007, 03:41 PM
This middle aged Husker fan is getting into his car across from me and sees that I'm from Baylor...
We have our share of *******s. For sure. That whole "classiest fans" drum beat gets a little silly. And annoying. I dunno, maybe more of the *******s make the trip to Waco.

colleyvillesooner
10/17/2007, 04:04 PM
We have our share of *******s. For sure. That whole "classiest fans" drum beat gets a little silly. And annoying. I dunno, maybe more of the *******s make the trip to Waco.

Well, that makes sense, with Waco being the ******* of Texas...

Doged
10/17/2007, 04:12 PM

[hairGel] THAT AIN'T TRUE!!! [hairGel]

royalfan5
10/17/2007, 04:16 PM
Veritas is fine.

Everytime they play down here their fans are just down right rude. A couple of things have been directed toward me, but I know plenty of other people who have had similar run ins with them.

I was going to tailgate before one Nebraska game, and I ran to Wal-Mart to pick up some last minute items. This middle aged Husker fan is getting into his car across from me and sees that I'm from Baylor. He flips me off and says, "F-BAYLOR!"

That seems pretty par for the course for them. In fact, OSU fans act very very similar to Husker fans when they're in town. Aggies are the worst of course when they come to Waco, but I put them into a whole different category.

OU and UT fans are the best. Tech may be considered "bad" if they weren't that way everywhere they went, so I give them a pass. Plus, the Tech folks are more happy go lucky.

How is that any different than most folks treat you around here?

yermom
10/17/2007, 04:22 PM
How is that any different than most folks treat you around here?

yeah, but it's not because he's a Baylor fan :D

royalfan5
10/17/2007, 04:23 PM
yeah, but it's not because he's a Baylor fan :D
Maybe Husker fans, just have a six sense about those type of things.

badger
10/17/2007, 05:47 PM
There are two essentials to Callahan's gameplan.

1- Don't embarrass self or team.
2- Don't win.

They ran the clock down against opponents that Callyburger pre-determined they couldn't beat, and thus, didn't. In cases where they were blown out, Cally thought they could win and thus, high risk, low reward. Oh, and going for it on 4th down is only ok if you have LSU's talent... or OU's.

As long as we're talking about fired bacon, let's talk Franchione's gameplan...

1- High risk... if running the ball and optioning the ball is high risk.
2- Low reward! 77-0 is an example.

This worked at a weaker TCU program. This even worked at Bama where many opponents underestimated a team on probation. Alas, you can only onside kick an opening kickoff once (yes, we all remember, right?) before teams catch on that you are one mistake away from blowing the entire game.

Stitch Face
10/17/2007, 06:39 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with the whole "classiest fans" thing; it's a kindred of Neb having taken the "Big Red" mantle from us and both having been so damn good at various times, occasionally against each other.

Nebraska is basically the younger brother of the Big Red, central plains, state school football family. (Not "little brother" like whiny beotch OK State.) If OU is 21 then Nebraska is our 18 year-old bro with whom we fight occasionally but get along for the most part.

Yeah, I know, kinda goofy analogy, but that's the way I think of it.

SicEmBaylor
10/17/2007, 07:12 PM
Exactly. We call it "The Mogue."

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/17/2007, 08:16 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with the whole "classiest fans" thing; it's a kindred of Neb having taken the "Big Red" mantle from us and both having been so damn good at various times, occasionally against each other.

Nebraska is basically the younger brother of the Big Red, central plains, state school football family. (Not "little brother" like whiny beotch OK State.) If OU is 21 then Nebraska is our 18 year-old bro with whom we fight occasionally but get along for the most part.

Yeah, I know, kinda goofy analogy, but that's the way I think of it.Me too...but I don't know how many nebbish fans are even aware that OU has always called itself "Big Red" as a secondary nicname. Also, the nebs are due at least 2 absolute poundings by their big brothers, for the unholy massacres they gave us in the mid-late nineties.

CatfishSooner
10/17/2007, 08:25 PM
In Kansas City last December the husker fans were NOT very classy...especially during the game

bluedogok
10/17/2007, 09:36 PM
Osborne was brought in for one reason, to placate the big money donors and get the ones that Pederson and Callenberger PO'd back into the "family".

Soonerus
10/17/2007, 09:41 PM
Nebraska has a mess on their hands...I'll judge them in 5 years or so on how it gets handled...

Big Red Ron
10/17/2007, 09:49 PM
I am personally enjoying myself. Kinda like rubber necking a car accident.

Sooner24
10/17/2007, 10:17 PM
I am personally enjoying myself. Kinda like rubber necking a car accident.

So you're the one holding up traffic.

Crucifax Autumn
10/18/2007, 01:55 AM
The IRS would open a new division and build a new headquarters in Norman for that.

But think about it. All those jobs would go to Okies - Hopefully Sooners being that they will be the locals available to work in Norman. So Oklahoma would enjoy an economic benefit, and most of the employees would leave it alone!

Animal Mother
10/18/2007, 05:18 PM
But think about it. All those jobs would go to Okies - Hopefully Sooners being that they will be the locals available to work in Norman. So Oklahoma would enjoy an economic benefit, and most of the employees would leave it alone!

The I.R.S. would hire only people that had degrees from OSU. How does an animal husbandry degree figure into tax work? When did logic ever enter into anything to do with the Infernal Revenue Servix?

HSC-Sooner
10/18/2007, 10:42 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=At.bCyc8OsMN0oEzf6oSqSYcvrYF?slug=ap-nebraska-callahan&prov=ap&type=lgns

Callahan calling Osborne some "crusty old *****"...

Sooner Eclipse
10/18/2007, 10:57 PM
Callahan calling Osborne some "crusty old *****"...

Callahag: Hummina, hummina, hummina...........Mmmm, did I say thaaaaat???:eek:

sooneron
10/18/2007, 11:02 PM
Well said. I believe it, too. They will have to get Bilachick(sp?) or Tony Dungee or somebody like that to really revive the program. IMO, the greatest recent hire by a college team I can think of is ASU getting Dennis Erickson.
Wow, this is horrendously stupid even coming from you. Dennis (ncaa sanctions/thugs coming soon) Erickson? :rolleyes:

soonerloyal
10/19/2007, 06:37 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Agx.zOiSsx1SQUZBUSDhhfo5nYcB?slug=jn-cornhuskers101907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Tom Osborne is a legend in CFB, as is our beloved King. Few expect him to miraculously heal the problems of the Nebraska football program. What he can do, however, is smooth a balm of familiarity and comfort over the husker Nation as few could do, and act as a calming force in this time of trouble within the athletic department.

Maybe it's easier for older fans to see the wisdom and positive potential of this interim appointment of Osborne's. However, given the lack of an alternative anywhere close to this legendary man's persona...I'd say Nebraska will benefit from his touch.

Remember, Bob Stoops came as an "outsider" and readily paid homage to the honorable dynasty that is Sooner Football. He's a coach. Osborne is a Nebraska beloved. Even if he stays a short time in this AD role, he brings familiarity and honor to the program...just what it needs and deserves.

soonersn2007
10/19/2007, 06:41 PM
Callahan's chances are over to turn things around @theNeb. Mr. Osbourne will be canning his *** in a couple of weeks.

10/20/2007, 12:50 AM
Veritas is fine.

Geeze, dude. Sucks to be Baylor.

Crucifax Autumn
10/20/2007, 12:53 AM
Okay...here's the problem and it refers back to the original post and thread title...Nebbish IS the likes of OSU and Baylor now and probably worse...at least this season.