PDA

View Full Version : Switzer on the current Husker squad

Veritas
10/17/2007, 10:14 AM
Barry was on Sport Nightly the other night (I can't find a link, sorry). He made the statement that there wasn't any talent on the current Nebraska squad with the exception of Steve Octavien, who might have been 3rd, maybe 2nd string on one of TO's 90's defensive.

I don't know if he's right or wrong, but I always appreciate the way that Barry is willing to offer his opinion on the Nebraska football program.

Desert Sapper
10/17/2007, 10:52 AM
If the King was comparing this year's NU to say...1995. Then most definitely yes.

I think losing Carriker, Moore, Dagunduro, and Cryer has killed this year's Huskers. Especially Carriker.

There is plenty of talent on the 2007 Huskers, but certainly nowhere near the talent that Osborne had on pretty much any of his teams in the '70s, '80s, or '90s.

Widescreen
10/17/2007, 10:54 AM
Weird. NU fans seem to think Callafran had done a great job of recruiting.

Veritas
10/17/2007, 11:08 AM
Weird. NU fans seem to think Callafran had done a great job of recruiting.
That's because most NU fans swallow the "4/5 star" bull**** propogated by Rivals et al.

Proof is in the pudding. Texas wins the recruiting title every year and manages to make it good once every 35 years or so.

freshchris05
10/17/2007, 11:11 AM
That's because most NU fans swallow the "4/5 star" bull**** propogated by Rivals et al.

Proof is in the pudding. Texas wins the recruiting title every year and manages to make it good once every 35 years or so.

preach!

CitySooner
10/17/2007, 11:21 AM
The 'STAR' rating is surely based on potential ability alone. It is what the coaches and the program do to make that talent and ability excel. Once these kids get to the big stage, their talent means zip unless they can deal with all the other intangibles that go along with being at a major university. The best coaches harness their talents and mold them into great players and individuals.

MikeInNorman
10/17/2007, 11:22 AM
But I thought John Blake was the greatest recruiter EVAR?

Blitzkrieg
10/17/2007, 11:27 AM
There is more talent on NU right now than in Norman in 98.

OklahomaTuba
10/17/2007, 11:28 AM
If you run an offense like Schnelehan did against the aggots, then you could have NFL talent and still get beat.

Running the "WCO" with only 8 passes still makes me crack up.

OklahomaTuba
10/17/2007, 11:29 AM

Not on the D there isn't.

aurorasooner
10/17/2007, 01:17 PM
I DVR'd that game with was replayed on Fox college sports central. It was brutal, and most definitely embarrassing to have the corn '97 bunch back for all that hoopla and then have completely run over by the aggies. The Nebraska D can't cover and the aggies did a good job getting creases for the poke running backs and the aggie running backs did a good job of being patient and waiting for the hole to open. I don't think there's any question that their DC will be gone and I wouldn't be surprised if for the rest of the year they take calleyhand's ridiculous clipboard away from him and give the offenisive play calling responsibilities to Watson. I knew slash wouldn't suspend Suh for the whole game and from the way the 1st qtr went he shouldn't have suspended him for one quarter. Suspending a player for one quarter is so lame that you should just forget it instead of doing it.

Blitzkrieg
10/17/2007, 01:43 PM
Bowman, Octavien, Suh, there is talent, it is just schemed poorly.

85sooners
10/17/2007, 01:46 PM
There is more talent on NU right now than in Norman in 98.:eek:

mhackl
10/17/2007, 01:54 PM
But I thought John Blake was the greatest recruiter EVAR?

Lol..They should promote him to head coach!

Boomerboone1
10/17/2007, 04:42 PM
John is not on their staff anymore, he is at North Carolina with Butch Davis. John's brother was ticked because he thought if John would stay at Nebraska, he would get the head coach job once they fired Cally. I don't think John will ever get a HC job with a major college unless he can prove he has proven coaches that will come with him, instead of just his buddies that became coaches at OU.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/17/2007, 04:46 PM
John is not on their staff anymore, he is at North Carolina with Butch Davis. John's brother was ticked because he thought if John would stay at Nebraska, he would get the head coach job once they fired Cally. I don't think John will ever get a HC job with a major college unless he can prove he has proven coaches that will come with him, instead of just his buddies that became coaches at OU.He forever screwed his resume by having such an atrocious record at OU as HC, even though he obviously was able to recruit good people.

Sooner24
10/17/2007, 05:05 PM

I don't know if I agree with that. Granted a bunch of those guys were freshmen but talent wise I think OU is light years ahead of the talent in Lincoln.

Calmus, Rocky
Fagan, Curtis
Gregg, Kelly
Jones, Ontei
Littrell, Seth
Norman, Josh
Parker, De'Mond
Smith, Trent
Thatcher, J. T.
Williams, Roy
Woolfolk, Andre

And that's not even counting Pee Wee Woods. :eek:

TUSooner
10/17/2007, 05:13 PM
The title of this thread made me think that Switzer had just been recruited to play for NU. I was expecting something Onion-esque. Don't get my hopes up like that! :mad:

:D