PDA

View Full Version : Iglesias vows not to fumble again

SoonerKnight
10/17/2007, 12:36 AM
http://newsok.com/article/3149672/1192590078?pg=2

OU's Iglesias vows not to fumble again
Last Saturday, OU receiver Juaquin Iglesias had two fumbles against Missouri, both leading to Tiger touchdowns.

"On the first one, I started to fumble when I tried to stiff arm,” he said. "On the kickoff, I was trying to cut back, and that's when someone knocked it out.

"I got to keep it in the back of my mind not to fumble.”

Despite his fumbles, Iglesias has been OU's most effective receiver this season, catching 42 passes for 635 yards and four TDs.

"But I can't fumble,” he said.

• Murray better: Running back DeMarco Murray played sparingly against Missouri because of a slight sprain on the outside of his left ankle he suffered the week before against Texas.

"It feels better now,” Murray said. "But it was hurting me last week.”

In Murray's place, Chris Brown relieved starter Allen Patrick and rushed for 67 yards and three TDs in Brown's best performance of the season.

• Major league: Coach Bob Stoops, who grew up in Youngstown, Ohio, has enjoyed cheering for the Cleveland Indians in the baseball playoffs. But he is nowhere near the Indians fan his dad, Ron Stoops, was.

"I remember him breaking the TV he'd get so mad at the Indians,” said Bob Stoops, who grew up in the 1970s when the Indians were perennial doormats. "I never was a big baseball fan.”

"My dad was a big baseball player — that was his sport. He was drafted out of high school, drafted out of college. He would watch them and get frustrated.”

Ron Stoops Sr., died of a heart attack at age 54 in 1988. The Indians, who lead the Boston Red Sox 2-1 in the American League championship series, are two wins away from making the World Series.

• Yo Adrian: Stoops said he called Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson on Monday, one day after Peterson ran for 224 yards and three TDs in a win over the Chicago Bears.

"I just told him ‘We're happy for you,' ” Stoops said.

Two weeks ago, Vikings coach Brad Childress called Stoops to tell him how pleased he was with Peterson off the field.

"(Childress) said, ‘(Peterson) is everything you told me he was,' ” Stoops said. " ‘He's a good person, good locker room guy. All that stuff.'

freshchris05
10/17/2007, 12:52 AM
great to hear.. all of it

Frozen Sooner
10/17/2007, 12:54 AM
"I remember him breaking the TV he'd get so mad at the Indians,” said Bob Stoops, who grew up in the 1970s when the Indians were perennial doormats. "I never was a big baseball fan.”

Strangely enough, I've broken a couple of remotes watching the Sooners....

:D

StoopTroup
10/17/2007, 12:54 AM
It's all good.

Octavian
10/17/2007, 12:56 AM

heh.

Octavian
10/17/2007, 12:58 AM
(just in case no one knew)

Bob Stoops is the m'fn man.

tommieharris91
10/17/2007, 01:07 AM
:les: FIRE BOB STOOPS AND THE ENTIRE COACHING STAFF!!!! THEY'RE INCOMPETENT!!!!

Zing
10/17/2007, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by Juaquin Iglesias

"I got to keep it in the back of my mind not to fumble.”

FRONT. FRONT of your mind. :P

Crucifax Autumn
10/17/2007, 01:44 AM
I'm torn on this...It will definitely save us some turnovers, but will it save us enough to make up for it if he stops getting so many YAC? I hope he has it straight that he's not supposed to stop giving his all to get every yard possible but to just add more ball protection to his game.

OUGuf
10/17/2007, 02:26 AM
Two words "velcro gloves".

Seamus
10/17/2007, 02:57 AM

LMAO!

My modus operandi after a Sooner loss is to go wreak havoc in my garden. One year, after saxet, I pulled out the rear-tine 5 HP tiller and mangled the entire garden. This year, after CU, I pruned enough Xylosma shrubbery to fill a freight car. Beyonce of it was I had to shred all that crap.

swardboy
10/17/2007, 07:09 AM

Wouldn't that require a velcro ball? :D

Glad to hear Demarco is shaking off the injury....and so glad we've got players who can step in behind him and get 'er done. We needed Chris's performance big-time.

C&CDean
10/17/2007, 07:37 AM
Now if he'd just put not dropping perfectly thrown passes into his mind we'd be golden.

misplaced_sooner
10/17/2007, 07:59 AM

Guilty!

Desert Sapper
10/17/2007, 08:08 AM
Juaquin is like one of those great running backs we had back in the '70s/'80s. He is awesome in the open field, but turns the ball over a bit too much. I hope the whole team can cure the turnover syndrome. He ain't the only one (although I must admit that sometime in the third quarter I said to my wife, 'we're gonna lose another mother****ing game because of Juaquin mother****ing Iglesias').

badger
10/17/2007, 08:27 AM
Juaquin vows not to fumble again, but if he does, Bob Stoops has probably already vowed to bench him :rolleyes:

wishbonesooner
10/17/2007, 08:31 AM
I remember reading about our wide outs practicing with someone shooting tennis balls at them instead of footballs to improve their concentration. Do we still do that?

OUTrumpet
10/17/2007, 08:42 AM
Now if he'd just put not dropping perfectly thrown passes into his mind we'd be golden.

Don't forget tipping them for pics...

Granted that hasn't happened in a few weeks, but still.

85sooners
10/17/2007, 09:00 AM
better stop the fumbles!!!!!!!!!!!

Choctaw
10/17/2007, 09:22 AM
although I must admit that sometime in the third quarter I said to my wife, 'we're gonna lose another mother****ing game because of Juaquin mother****ing Iglesias'

Told my dog the same thing.

StoopTroup
10/17/2007, 09:25 AM
If he fumbles again....

What do you think Stoops will do?

NormanPride
10/17/2007, 09:46 AM
Is he going to vow not to jog routes as well? ;)

birddog
10/17/2007, 10:05 AM
If he fumbles again....

What do you think Stoops will do?

same thing he's done to reggie on special teams?

Widescreen
10/17/2007, 11:00 AM
In all the articles I've read and seeing his reaction, I don't think he really is that upset about all his fumbling. I was a little concerned when they didn't make him do something to force him to focus on ball security. I'm glad that he's gotten over his Sophomore case of the dropsies but this needs to stop now or we're going to drop an other game.

handcrafted
10/17/2007, 11:01 AM
Juaquin is like one of those great running backs we had back in the '70s/'80s. He is awesome in the open field, but turns the ball over a bit too much. I hope the whole team can cure the turnover syndrome. He ain't the only one (although I must admit that sometime in the third quarter I said to my wife, 'we're gonna lose another mother****ing game because of Juaquin mother****ing Iglesias').

You kiss your wife with that mouth? :O :eek:

Curly Bill
10/17/2007, 11:06 AM
I remember reading about our wide outs practicing with someone shooting tennis balls at them instead of footballs to improve their concentration. Do we still do that?

It's a fairly common practice with receivers to help develop and refine hand-eye coordination. I don't know if the Sooners are doing that now or not, but it is more like something you would do in the offseason. That being said they may think it important enough to take practice time in the season to do it.

freshchris05
10/17/2007, 11:16 AM
where is joe jon's article? i want to hear him vow some sh!t...

Widescreen
10/17/2007, 11:17 AM
Tennis balls aids in helping to catch the ball which isn't his problem. Keeping it caught is his problem.

MojoRisen
10/17/2007, 11:19 AM
It's a fairly common practice with receivers to help develop and refine hand-eye coordination. I don't know if the Sooners are doing that now or not, but it is more like something you would do in the offseason. That being said they may think it important enough to take practice time in the season to do it.

Leach does it after every practice - the way it works for TECH maybe we should as well.

That is a M Leach drill though

Curly Bill
10/17/2007, 11:25 AM
Leach does it after every practice - the way it works for TECH maybe we should as well.

That is a M Leach drill though

Make the players do it after practice...on their time...how devious. I like it.

;)

Flagstaffsooner
10/17/2007, 01:02 PM
Put a Natty can in his hand and have Olevet chase him around. If he can hold it in that drill he will be able to hold on to anything.

Desert Sapper
10/17/2007, 03:22 PM
You kiss your wife with that mouth? :O :eek:

Well, she is the mother I'm f...Hey! That's none of your business.;)

C&CDean
10/17/2007, 04:45 PM
Tennis balls aids in helping to catch the ball which isn't his problem. Keeping it caught is his problem.

I guess you haven't watched much OU football these past couple years.

If Iglesias had caught every pass thrown his way we'd have won 2 more games last year, and been undefeated this year. I've never seen a receiver with a bigger case of the dropsies than that guy has had. Thankfully he's been better this year, but now he's started fumbling.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/17/2007, 04:55 PM
I guess you haven't watched much OU football these past couple years.

If Iglesias had caught every pass thrown his way we'd have won 2 more games last year, and been undefeated this year. I've never seen a receiver with a bigger case of the dropsies than that guy has had. Thankfully he's been better this year, but now he's started fumbling.True dat. Just one of several things that seem to repeat themselves, and can easily cost a game.

stoopified
10/17/2007, 05:04 PM
Him and JJF both,and Allen Patrick,Quentin Chaeney.Do you realize almost one-third of Bradford's incompletions have been drops?

goingoneight
10/17/2007, 07:17 PM
Do you realize all of Bradford's interceptions were tipped balls? :eek:

OU-HSV
10/17/2007, 07:21 PM
Cool little tid bits...thanks for posting soonerknight

goingoneight
10/17/2007, 07:25 PM
I have an idea...

Let's have the defensive line put in it the back of their minds not to allow seven to ten seconds time for a quarterback to throw, have OUr special teams remember not to chop-block, block-in-the-back or hold and have Garrett Hartley put it in the back of his mind not to miss another kick, as well.

OU-HSV
10/17/2007, 07:28 PM
......have OUr special teams remember not to chop-block, block-in-the-back or hold and have Garrett Hartley put it in the back of his mind not to miss another kick, as well.
you forgot "not to false start twice in a row (or at all) on extra points...and not to catch a punt inside the ten yd line....and not to fall down while catching every punt"

sooner-n-ga
10/17/2007, 10:27 PM
Reggie would promise to not do stupid things on punt returns, we might actually have a chance to not lose another game this season.

Curly Bill
10/17/2007, 10:34 PM
Told my dog the same thing.

You know, I told my dog the same thing too, and he told me to STFU, that I was jinxing his team. ;)

OK2LA
10/17/2007, 11:56 PM

Punched a hole in a wall, and destroyed a coffee table.

Broke my hand in a separate incident involving the Steelers losing to the Patriots in the Playoffs.

OK2LA
10/17/2007, 11:58 PM

I actually saw a pretty cool mini-article on Brandon Jones and the drills he does. He uses bricks - a guy tosses them to him. It's more for helping him catch the ball, but it works the same way with hanging on to the ball.

StoopTroup
10/18/2007, 12:03 AM
He is truly a Ninja....

http://www.julianjunglee.com/brickkick.jpg

jwlynn64
10/18/2007, 12:25 AM

Hook and Loop people. Velco is trademarked!:eek:

Crucifax Autumn
10/18/2007, 01:19 AM
My son is 14 months and I'm getting him a regulation college football for Christmas and I'm gonna teach him from then on to never drop it. As he ages I'll test him every chance I get.

Curly Bill
10/18/2007, 07:56 AM
I actually saw a pretty cool mini-article on Brandon Jones and the drills he does. He uses bricks - a guy tosses them to him. It's more for helping him catch the ball, but it works the same way with hanging on to the ball.

Jerry Rice used to do brick work while in HS or college, said it gave him strong hands...imagine that.

Widescreen
10/18/2007, 09:33 AM
It's more for helping him catch the ball, but it works the same way with hanging on to the ball.
Really? Does it come flying in from the side and poke the ball out or put it's little brick helmet right on the ball?

;)

Stoop Dawg
10/18/2007, 12:53 PM
I wanna hear Loadholt vow not to move before the snap.

tommieharris91
10/18/2007, 01:00 PM
The tennis ball drill is actually good for eye-hand coordination. Makes you look at the ball so you don't drop it. Bricks help people hang onto the ball, helps when making a catch when getting hit.

colleyvillesooner
10/18/2007, 01:06 PM
I wanna hear Duke vow not to move before the snap.

Fixed

Crucifax Autumn
10/20/2007, 02:17 AM
I wanna hear Stoops accept the championship trophy.

re-fixed