PDA

View Full Version : Did I do the right thing in your opinion?

usmc-sooner
10/16/2007, 06:00 PM
I think I did.
I took the family out to eat on Sunday. We were seated close to the back of the restaurant. We're sitting there and there are 4 people in the booth behind us. Well we could here their conversations. They were talking about fighting and kicking people's arses. Then they started talking about girls they had effed.
One of them says "man I effed that B" so hard and so good." It's all I could stand. I could tell by their voices they were young, probably college aged. Well I'm with my wife and my children and had enough. I got up, went to the table and told them to watch the language because I had my family with me. They looked at me like they were about to crap their pants but said they were sorry.
My wife who was glad I put my foot down in this case happens to think I'm a little too aggresive. I can't imagine myself talking like this in a public place.

And I did not go back their like I was some kind of tough guy, (none of these kids actually looked like they'd ever fought anyone in their life) I think adults fighting in public is immature and stupid, unless you like jail and making a fool out of yourself in front of the kids.
I think I was pretty justified in what I did.

Czar Soonerov
10/16/2007, 06:17 PM
Sounds like the opening scene of a Steven Segal movie...

Sooner_Bob
10/16/2007, 06:21 PM
"If your daddy knew exactly how stupid you were, he'd trade you in for a pet monkey."

http://www.the-planets.com/star-biography/Steven-Seagal-Biography.jpg

sanantoniosooner
10/16/2007, 06:22 PM
I'm going to initially say "no" based on our past history.

Then I'll read it and see if anything changes.

sanantoniosooner
10/16/2007, 06:24 PM
I would have done the same thing after further review.

usmc-sooner
10/16/2007, 06:25 PM
I didn't go back there and challenge anyone to a fight. I did ask them to watch the language.

Sooner_Bob
10/16/2007, 06:29 PM
"Young man, don't make me raise my voice."

http://koti.mbnet.fi/masaf1/nico3.JPG

OUHOMER
10/16/2007, 06:32 PM
Spek usmc, more people need to stand up when when things aren't right. its getting to the point where people put their head in the sand rather than voice their opinion. These kids probably didn't even have a clue what they were saying was wrong until you told them. I bet they think twice before they get loud and crude in public again.

VeeJay
10/16/2007, 06:33 PM
You did the right thing.

If they had given you trouble, the next thing would be to find the manager and let him handle it - it's his restaurant.

Where did they think they were, acting that way in front of kids? An SEC football game?

sooner n houston
10/16/2007, 06:37 PM
Good Jorb USMC!

Petro-Sooner
10/16/2007, 07:01 PM
Thumbs up. I've confronted this same issue with guys I was having dinner with cause kids were not far away. Several times.

TUSooner
10/16/2007, 07:05 PM
I would have given you a standing ovation if I had been there.

Unless I had said something really stupid to them first... :O

85Sooner
10/16/2007, 07:08 PM
good job

OCUDad
10/16/2007, 07:25 PM
I mean this in a good way - but I'm surprised you even feel the need to ask. You did exactly the right thing. Their "right to free speech" ends where your kids' ears begin.

I'm glad they backed down, because fighting in public wouldn't be such a great message to the kids, either. But you were entirely within your rights, and you did the right thing. I'll bet other diners within earshot were glad you did what you did.

1stTimeCaller
10/16/2007, 07:31 PM
The next time you come up messin' wif me and my babe-banging boyz you're gonna get beat down, old man.

I was in a good mood.

Jeopardude
10/16/2007, 07:37 PM
Earshot of your kids? Those guys were lucky you asked.

OCUDad
10/16/2007, 07:41 PM
The next time you come up messin' wif me and my babe-banging boyz you're gonna get beat down, old man.

I was in a good mood.pu**y.

JohnnyMack
10/16/2007, 08:24 PM
pu**y.

1tc = Icy Hot

Jerk
10/16/2007, 08:25 PM
Next time...

Hand grenade.

Problem solved. YWIA

Petro-Sooner
10/16/2007, 08:34 PM
damn kids these days...think they know it all

1stTimeCaller
10/16/2007, 09:47 PM
pu**y.

and lots of it.

What usmc didn't mention was, he took his family to eat at Night Trips. Me and my homies were doing our thing in the back of da club, Deebo was getting a lap dance and the rest of us wuz talking bout the party from last week when this scrawny dude walks up and says something about his kids. We were soooo high that we just laughed and forgot what we were talking about.

And you people think he was right. :rolleyes:

;)

SoonerGirl06
10/16/2007, 10:03 PM
I applaude you.

There's a time and a place to to have crude/vulgar conversations. A resturaunt with kids around isn't one of them.

OCUDad
10/16/2007, 10:06 PM
There's a time and a place to to have crude/vulgar conversations.Peem me. :D

SoonerGirl06
10/16/2007, 10:11 PM
Peem me. :D

As soon as I finish my conversation with Olevet, I shall. :D

OUinFLA
10/16/2007, 10:17 PM
As soon as I finish my conversation with Olevet, I shall. :D

That'll take about 15 seconds.

soonerhubs
10/16/2007, 10:21 PM
USMC, you have my support. Like others have said, more people need to take that kind of action. Well done.

Melo
10/16/2007, 10:38 PM
Was one of them wearing a 'F**K youIm from Texas' shirt?

;)

rufnek05
10/16/2007, 10:40 PM
thats what you get for taking your family to Hooters

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/17/2007, 06:23 AM
Were any of them wearing a "**** ya'll, I'm from Texass" shirt?

usmc-sooner
10/17/2007, 06:24 AM
thats what you get for taking your family to Hooters

honestly I take my family to Hooters all the time, we are wing junkies:)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/17/2007, 06:26 AM
Damn it, Melo!

Well, were you with them, Melo?

Okla-homey
10/17/2007, 07:06 AM
honestly I take my family to Hooters all the time, we are wing junkies:)

We just get take-out wings from there now. Frankly, the Hooters hoochies at the one nearest us are so skanky, even I, who never met a cleavage I didn't like, get grossed out.

BTW, good jorb. I've done a similar thing, much to the shock and horror of my then 13 y/o daughter.;)

usmc-sooner
10/17/2007, 07:23 AM
We just get take-out wings from there now. Frankly, the Hooters hoochies at the one nearest us are so skanky, even I, who never met a cleavage I didn't like, get grossed out.

BTW, good jorb. I've done a similar thing, much to the shock and horror of my then 13 y/o daughter.;)

yeah I think my kid was like oh dad.

The only question I had was should I have told the waiter/manager. But the waiter was a kid about their age as well so I just walked over and told them. I've been in similar situations at movie theaters, and there were times that I got so heated I should have just found an usher.

The last time I was in Hooters I swear one of the waitresses had to be my age, either she was 35 or an old looking late 20's. She'd come over sit down and I guess they are required to flirt. In the back of my mind I'm thinking please leave.

We used to have something we called rainbow PT. Which meant we didn't have to wear green on green. I once thought about getting me some tight orange shorts and a Hooters shirt and showing up but I always chickened out.

SoonerJack
10/17/2007, 07:37 AM
We used to have something we called rainbow PT. Which meant we didn't have to wear green on green. I once thought about getting me some tight orange shorts and a Hooters shirt and showing up but I always chickened out.

And for this we are truly thankful.

OUDoc
10/17/2007, 07:51 AM
You did good, usmc.

IB4OU2
10/17/2007, 08:16 AM
Was this at a Ryan's Steakhouse? Reminds me of a story...

TheHumanAlphabet
10/17/2007, 09:00 AM
I think I did.
I took the family out to eat on Sunday. We were seated close to the back of the restaurant. We're sitting there and there are 4 people in the booth behind us. Well we could here their conversations. They were talking about fighting and kicking people's arses. Then they started talking about girls they had effed.
One of them says "man I effed that B" so hard and so good." It's all I could stand. I could tell by their voices they were young, probably college aged. Well I'm with my wife and my children and had enough. I got up, went to the table and told them to watch the language because I had my family with me. They looked at me like they were about to crap their pants but said they were sorry.
My wife who was glad I put my foot down in this case happens to think I'm a little too aggresive. I can't imagine myself talking like this in a public place.

And I did not go back their like I was some kind of tough guy, (none of these kids actually looked like they'd ever fought anyone in their life) I think adults fighting in public is immature and stupid, unless you like jail and making a fool out of yourself in front of the kids.

Don't worry, you did the right thing, your wife has watched too many View episodes ;).

tbl
10/17/2007, 09:02 AM
I think I did.

After the first cuss word I would have been back there, so in my opinion you didn't do the right thing... you waited too long. ;)

StoopTroup
10/17/2007, 09:48 AM
WWHKBD?

"What would Hogan Knows Best do?"

:pop:

If you make an example of the right thing to do in front of your kids...

You do a lot more for society than you even know.

Other folks will follow the lead ususally.

I'm not sure you even need our reassurance USMC.

WTG!

Melo
10/17/2007, 03:26 PM
Well, were you with them, Melo?

I had been in the bathroom, and when I came back, they kept calling this man sitting by us a 'd**k f**king *********'. I didnt see any of it, but it IS a public place, people SHOULD be able to talk about whatever they want. So if you dont like it, I suggest you just stay home!

:D ;)

OKC-SLC
10/17/2007, 07:06 PM
you were right, usmc.

SicEmBaylor
10/17/2007, 07:31 PM
I told off an old lady at the movie theatre on 71st street last weekend. I was at the 7:20 showing and I left my drink in the holder as I walked off at the end of the movie. She taps me on the shoulder and says, "Excuse me, aren't you going to take your pop and throw it away?"

I said, "No mam, I don't work here."

I put my foot down as well.

olevetonahill
10/17/2007, 07:33 PM
Ys did Good !
Id of kicked thier asses tho . just sayin . :P

sanantoniosooner
10/17/2007, 07:52 PM
I told off an old lady at the movie theatre on 71st street last weekend. I was at the 7:20 showing and I left my drink in the holder as I walked off at the end of the movie. She taps me on the shoulder and says, "Excuse me, aren't you going to take your pop and throw it away?"

I bet you leave carts in the middle of the parking lot too.

SicEmBaylor
10/17/2007, 07:53 PM
I bet you leave carts in the middle of the parking lot too.
Unless I'm right next to the return thing.

sanantoniosooner
10/17/2007, 08:08 PM
par for the course.

SicEmBaylor
10/17/2007, 08:17 PM
par for the course.
Yep...

olevetonahill
10/17/2007, 08:21 PM

That was My MOMMA :mad:

OKC-SLC
10/17/2007, 08:33 PM
That was My MOMMA :mad:
he said OLD lady, not very very old lady.

;)

OCUDad
10/17/2007, 09:21 PM

I put my foot down as well.You are an embarrassment to... to... whatever species it is that you are.

Vaevictis
10/18/2007, 12:26 AM
As I don't know exactly what you said or how you said it, it's hard to give a definitive answer.

But, in principle, you were justified.

Sooner in Tampa
10/18/2007, 06:05 AM
Semper Fi USMC...you did what a good majority of dads would do if they were in the same situation.

Props man!!!

Next time just bitch slap 1tc and get it over with. :)