PDA

View Full Version : Peterson vs McFadden

jkjsooner
10/16/2007, 10:21 AM
What should a Sooner do when encountering an argument with Razorback fans about who is better - Peterson or McFadden?

I don't mind the disagreement. They are entitled to their opinion and McFadden is an incredible back. However, the argument always comes down to the following:

The SEC is the best conference in the nation. McFadden is the best back in the best conference. The Big 12 is weak and therefore McFadden > Peterson.

Are Arkansas fans really this bad at logic? Do they honestly think that being the top conference means they have the top players at every position.

I try to argue that the Chicago Bears defense is much better than anything you see in the SEC but they just don't get it.

busynothings
10/16/2007, 10:23 AM
Yes, they are this bad at logic. Being in the SEC is their excuse for everything. I know, I live right in the heart of Razorback Nation. Of course, they're just now beginning to see what a poor excuse they have for a coach.

StoopTroup
10/16/2007, 10:26 AM
Arkansas is a much better team than the Chicago Bears....

They are a lock to win the Super Bowl....

Why can't you see that?

:pop:

yermom
10/16/2007, 10:26 AM
what has McFadden done this year?

what has AD done this year?

where are they?

Partial Qualifier
10/16/2007, 10:31 AM
What should a Sooner do when encountering an argument with Razorback fans about who is better - Peterson or McFadden?

If there was ever a situation where a horselaugh was appropriate, that would be it.

"Guh HAH!!.. ahHAH!! ...AhHAH!!"

Repeat until they go away. :O

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/16/2007, 10:38 AM
I'd laugh, hard.

Then I would say when McFadden rolls up well over 300 total yards in an NFL game and nearly single-handidly beats the defending NFC Champs then come back and we'll talk.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/16/2007, 10:49 AM
I'd laugh, hard.

Then I would say when McFadden rolls up well over 300 total yards in an NFL game and nearly single-handidly beats the defending NFC Champs then come back and we'll talk.Or, just tell them it's plainly clear that McFadden is WAY better. How could anyone think otherwise?

BillyBall
10/16/2007, 11:31 AM
what has McFadden done this year?

what has AD done this year?

where are they?

Game

Set

Match

Soonermagik
10/16/2007, 11:36 AM
Just ask them who the leading rusher in the "NFL" is!!!

Oh, and ask those Chicago Bears what their opinion is of him.

yermom
10/16/2007, 11:39 AM
be sure to clarify which one you are talking about first ;)

TUSooner
10/16/2007, 03:43 PM
NFL > SEC

TopDawg
10/16/2007, 03:48 PM
Vikes' O-Line > Arkansas O-Line

Just sayin.

tbl
10/16/2007, 03:54 PM
NFL > SEC
Good luck getting that one across. Try living in SEC country and you'll see how delusional they really are.

usmc-sooner
10/16/2007, 03:55 PM

I don't mind the disagreement. They are entitled to their opinion and McFadden is an incredible back. However, the argument always comes down to the following:

The SEC is the best conference in the nation. McFadden is the best back in the best conference. The Big 12 is weak and therefore McFadden > Peterson.

Are Arkansas fans really this bad at logic? Do they honestly think that being the top conference means they have the top players at every position.

I try to argue that the Chicago Bears defense is much better than anything you see in the SEC but they just don't get it.

NFL trumps SEC

CobraKai
10/16/2007, 03:56 PM

Just sayin.

True, but the DTs the Vikes OL are blocking are comparably better as well. Additionally the overall defenses are light years better. Right?

Ruuuuuufus
10/16/2007, 03:59 PM
Ladainian Tomlinson

usmc-sooner
10/16/2007, 04:02 PM

Just sayin.

did you grade them out? How many blocks do each of them miss? :D

TopDawg
10/16/2007, 04:11 PM
True, but the DTs the Vikes OL are blocking are comparably better as well. Additionally the overall defenses are light years better. Right?

I don't know. Peterson might be running behind one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. Did you see how much Alexander's production dropped off when Hutch left Seattle?

So while the D-lines the Vikes are going up against are certainly better than the ones the Hogs play, I'm not sure you can say that the difference between the Vikes' O-Line and their D-line counterparts is equal to the difference between the Hogs' O-line and their D-line counterparts in the SEC.

Plus, for every two times McFadden touches the ball, he shares one carry with Felix Jones so it's harder for him to get the stats to compare.

Personally, I think AD is better than McFadden, but comparing what AD is doing with the Vikes to what DMac is doing with the Hogs is almost (not quite, but almost) as bad as comparing the SEC to the Big 12.

If you really want to throw a curve to your buddy, tell him that McFadden isn't even the best running back on his own team. Felix Jones is averaging almost twice as many yards per carry and has just two fewer touchdowns (despite having almost half the carries).

And those numbers are being put up behind the same O-line and against the same competition.

SoonerShay
10/16/2007, 04:13 PM
Chester Taylor is running behind that same Oline. Mcfaddens Oline was also better at run blocking than ADs was too.

Harry Beanbag
10/16/2007, 04:32 PM
I don't know. Peterson might be running behind one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. Did you see how much Alexander's production dropped off when Hutch left Seattle?

So while the D-lines the Vikes are going up against are certainly better than the ones the Hogs play, I'm not sure you can say that the difference between the Vikes' O-Line and their D-line counterparts is equal to the difference between the Hogs' O-line and their D-line counterparts in the SEC.

Plus, for every two times McFadden touches the ball, he shares one carry with Felix Jones so it's harder for him to get the stats to compare.

Personally, I think AD is better than McFadden, but comparing what AD is doing with the Vikes to what DMac is doing with the Hogs is almost (not quite, but almost) as bad as comparing the SEC to the Big 12.

If you really want to throw a curve to your buddy, tell him that McFadden isn't even the best running back on his own team. Felix Jones is averaging almost twice as many yards per carry and has just two fewer touchdowns (despite having almost half the carries).

And those numbers are being put up behind the same O-line and against the same competition.

You're really making this too complicated.

swardboy
10/16/2007, 04:39 PM
nm

TUSooner
10/16/2007, 04:40 PM
Good luck getting that one across. Try living in SEC country and you'll see how delusional they really are.
I DO live in SEC country. In fact, the worst part: LSU country. :( :D

Soonermagik
10/16/2007, 04:41 PM

Who is the more explosive player?? Who got an invite to the Heisman trophy as a Freshmen? Peterson is already a proven NFL talent with NFL money. Several guys from ESPN to the NFL Network say he is the best back in the NFL right now!!!! Now, remember the NFL is the real deal league, most guys in college will never see this field.

We will be able to tell much more about McFadden when he gets into the NFL. Peterson is a much better back, but McFadden is a nice player too. I'm not trying to down him, but he is no AD!! ;)

LittleWingSooner
10/16/2007, 04:43 PM
I don't think we ever saw the abilities AD has shown in the NFL in college. Maybe it was our staff being so conservative. But he averaged 5.4 ypc and about 5.2 or 5.1 his last 2 years at OU. And didn't really show he could catch the ball a lot. I think he leads the Vikings in receptions this year. Why didn't he ever show that much speed at OU?

If you compare the 2 in college I would probably say McFadden has been more impressive. We'll see how good McFadden compares in the NFL in a year.

usmc-sooner
10/16/2007, 04:45 PM
I don't think we ever saw the abilities AD has shown in the NFL in college. Maybe it was our staff being so conservative. But he averaged 5.4 ypc and about 5.2 or 5.1 his last 2 years at OU. And didn't really show he could catch the ball a lot. I think he leads the Vikings in receptions this year. Why didn't he ever show that much speed at OU?

If you compare the 2 in college I would probably say McFadden has been more impressive. We'll see how good McFadden compares in the NFL in a year.

are you freaking kidding me? AD played the equivalent to 2 1/2 seasons and is 3rd all time leading rusher at OU.

swardboy
10/16/2007, 04:46 PM
Presently AD is averaging 6.3 yards a carry IN THE NFL! He is on track to have 1,942 yards for the regular season....if the kid does that, oh lord!!

What if he goes over 2,000 for the regular season? There are no superlatives for such a performance.

TopDawg
10/16/2007, 04:46 PM
Who is the more explosive player?? Who got an invite to the Heisman trophy as a Freshmen? Peterson is already a proven NFL talent with NFL money. Several guys from ESPN to the NFL Network say he is the best back in the NFL right now!!!! Now, remember the NFL is the real deal league, most guys in college will never see this field.

We will be able to tell much more about McFadden when he gets into the NFL. Peterson is a much better back, but McFadden is a nice player too. I'm not trying to down him, but he is no AD!! ;)

Did you read the part of my post where I said "Personally, I think AD is better than McFadden," cuz if you would have, it would've saved you some time. :D

85sooners
10/16/2007, 04:48 PM
:pop:

fadada1
10/16/2007, 04:50 PM
What if he goes over 2,000 for the regular season? There are no superlatives for such a performance.
then they give him the heisman retroactively.

TopDawg
10/16/2007, 04:51 PM
Presently AD is averaging 6.3 yards a carry IN THE NFL! He is on track to have 1,942 yards for the regular season....if the kid does that, oh lord!!

The scary thing for the NFL is that he might just be getting warmed up.

Yards per carry over his last 4 games:
Game 1: 3.3
Game 2: 4.1
Game 3: 9.3
Game 4: 11.2

swardboy
10/16/2007, 04:57 PM
The scary thing for the NFL is that he might just be getting warmed up.

Yards per carry over his last 4 games:
Game 1: 3.3
Game 2: 4.1
Game 3: 9.3
Game 4: 11.2

Most backs would have settled for the 9.3 :D

LittleWingSooner
10/16/2007, 05:00 PM
are you freaking kidding me? AD played the equivalent to 2 1/2 seasons and is 3rd all time leading rusher at OU.

But he also had a tremendous amount of carries. I think he's 2nd in carries behind Steve Owens and he averaged 5.4 ypc.

tommieharris91
10/16/2007, 05:01 PM

He is being used in Minnesota's passing game a lot more than he ever was at OU. I think he already hs more catches than he ever did at OU.

jkjsooner
10/16/2007, 05:04 PM

They do have a good run blocking offensive line. Their pass blocking is terrible and the Vikings pass game is also terrible. They have been facing defenses stacked against the run.

Anyway, the difference between college and pro is so much that you can't just look at how the lines are compared to the competition. No matter how good the lines are, in the NFL the holes close very quickly and the pursuit is extremely fast. There is a reason you don't see guys breaking 70 yard runs often like you see in college. There's a reason nobody has ever had a 300 yard rushing performance in the NFL. There's a reason even the best all time backs have only had a handful of 200+ yard games.

Running behind a good NFL offensive line does not mean you're going to have college-like stats. It just doesn't happen.

Most good backs would have more success in college with a bad o-line than in the pros with a good o-line.

Peterson is splitting carries almost evenly with Chester Taylor. I'm sure that will end soon but so far it's been that way. When Taylor was injured he split with that other guy as well.

LittleWingSooner
10/16/2007, 05:07 PM
He is being used in Minnesota's passing game a lot more than he ever was at OU. I think he already hs more catches than he ever did at OU.

He's the leading receiver in Minn isn't he?

Harry Beanbag
10/16/2007, 05:11 PM
He's the leading receiver in Minn isn't he?

No, he's third.

jkjsooner
10/16/2007, 05:11 PM

That can't all be on our coaches.

1. Peterson was not a great pass catcher as a frosh. By the time he started developing in that area we had QB's who were not giving him the ball in a position to make a play.

2. When AD went to the flat, he drew a lot of attention. It's hard to catch a pass and make a play when a guy is on you as soon as the ball gets to you. That is what happened more time than not.

3. His pass production has declined the last couple of games. I think he is drawing more attention on passing plays - which is clearly good for Minnesota.

jkjsooner
10/16/2007, 05:15 PM
No, he's third.

He was leading after the first 2 or 3 games. They've stopped using him as much lately.

Harry Beanbag
10/16/2007, 05:25 PM
He was leading after the first 2 or 3 games. They've stopped using him as much lately.

Okay...but the answer to the question is no, he is not the leading receiver for the Vikings.

TopDawg
10/16/2007, 05:42 PM
They do have a good run blocking offensive line. Their pass blocking is terrible and the Vikings pass game is also terrible. They have been facing defenses stacked against the run.

The same can be said of the Hogs, too, right? They're dead last in the SEC in passing yards.

Anyway, the difference between college and pro is so much that you can't just look at how the lines are compared to the competition. No matter how good the lines are, in the NFL the holes close very quickly and the pursuit is extremely fast. There is a reason you don't see guys breaking 70 yard runs often like you see in college. There's a reason nobody has ever had a 300 yard rushing performance in the NFL. There's a reason even the best all time backs have only had a handful of 200+ yard games.

Yes, it's because the talent level across the board is much better and more evenly split than in college. But the flip side of that is that it's more likely Adrian is playing with a team more evenly matched with his opponent than McFadden is. I don't know enough about Arkansas and their opponents to know if such is the case...I'm just saying there's a greater chance in college than in the pros.

Peterson is splitting carries almost evenly with Chester Taylor. I'm sure that will end soon but so far it's been that way. When Taylor was injured he split with that other guy as well.

Peterson has 96 carries to Taylor's 33. The rest of the team has combined for about 25.

You bring up some good points. My whole deal, though, is that there's no sense in comparing what the two have done this year because it's two totally different situations. Just tell your friend that McFadden isn't even the best RB on his own team.

mdklatt
10/16/2007, 05:46 PM

Chicago's run defense is also terrible. They even made Green Bay look like they had a running game...for a quarter or so. :mad: :O

But AD is still a total stud.

Harry Beanbag
10/16/2007, 06:54 PM

McFadden's career ypc average is just under 1/2 yard higher than Peterson's. Jamaal Charles' ypc is higher than both, is he the better running back of the three?

Harry Beanbag
10/16/2007, 06:57 PM
Chicago's run defense is also terrible.

Statistically speaking, it was much better before the Viking game. :)

tulsaoilerfan
10/16/2007, 10:23 PM
The same can be said of the Hogs, too, right? They're dead last in the SEC in passing yards.

Yes, it's because the talent level across the board is much better and more evenly split than in college. But the flip side of that is that it's more likely Adrian is playing with a team more evenly matched with his opponent than McFadden is. I don't know enough about Arkansas and their opponents to know if such is the case...I'm just saying there's a greater chance in college than in the pros.

Peterson has 96 carries to Taylor's 33. The rest of the team has combined for about 25.

You bring up some good points. My whole deal, though, is that there's no sense in comparing what the two have done this year because it's two totally different situations. Just tell your friend that McFadden isn't even the best RB on his own team.
And while you are at it, tell PurpleTiger where that RB played his high school ball:D

bluedogok
10/16/2007, 10:27 PM

Taylor missed the first few games so AD was sharing with Mewelde Moore. For the Bears game, Taylor had more carries than AD.

Bears game
Adrian
Carries: 20
Yards: 224
YPC: 11.2
Long: 73T
TD: 3

Chester Taylor
Carries: 22
Yards: 83
YPC: 3.8
Long: 14
TD: 0

AD is also second in receiving yards (10 catches for 175 yards, 17.5 ypc with a long of 60, 1 TD) behind only Bobby Wade (18 catches for 203, 11.3 ypc, with a long of 40, 0 TD).

He IS their offense.

goingoneight
10/16/2007, 11:01 PM
Just ask them who the leading rusher in the "NFL" is!!!

Oh, and ask those Chicago Bears what their opinion is of him.

Well, McFadden IS in the SEC, ya know. ;) :D

goingoneight
10/16/2007, 11:05 PM
Dear Matt Leinfart, Reggie Cash and Troy "Where am I at Now?" Smith...

Forefeit yer trophies to the man.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/16/2007, 11:12 PM

Trent Green? Is that you?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/17/2007, 12:56 AM
Dear Matt Leinfart, Reggie Cash and Troy "Where am I at Now?" Smith...

Forefeit yer trophies to the man.Does this mean you think AD is better than McFadden?

OUGuf
10/17/2007, 04:44 PM
Tell him being on the best team in the best conference isnt all its cracked up to be (if indeed it is the best conference).
Look at Barry Sanders.
OSU college Detroit Lions NFL.
Poor guy wasnt on a winning team since highschool. Still he is probably the best RB to ever play the game.

So My Opinion is that Peterson is Better than McFadden. But I guess we will see when McFadden goes Pro.

TopDawg
10/17/2007, 05:14 PM
Look at Barry Sanders.
OSU college Detroit Lions NFL.
Poor guy wasnt on a winning team since highschool. Still he is probably the best RB to ever play the game.

The Pokes went 26-9 from 1986-1988 and the Lions went to the playoffs 6 of the 11 years Sanders was on their squad.

Sure, he didn't win many titles (two division titles with the Lions) but his teams did alright.

LittleWingSooner
10/17/2007, 06:56 PM
Yep Sanders was on very few losing teams. Even his HS teams were winning teams. He wasn't on great teams.

deweydw
10/18/2007, 10:46 AM
This should settle it then. Saw it in the Houston Chronicle this morning.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5223785.html

Vikes' Peterson draws rave reviews
Rookie sensation on pace to shatter rushing record set by Dickerson

By TOM ORSBORN
San Antonio Express-news

Nearly six months after six teams passed on him in the NFL draft, Minnesota Vikings rookie sensation Adrian Peterson says he would have done the same.

"I really can't blame them," said Peterson, acknowledging injuries he suffered the last two seasons played a role in him slipping to the Vikings at No. 7. "But right now, they're probably smacking themselves in the back of the head."

The Dallas Cowboys will try to smack Peterson into submission Sunday when the Palestine native makes his Texas Stadium debut before a crowd that's expected to include about 60 of his family members.

"He's a hard runner," safety Ken Hamlin said. "It's going to take a lot of guys getting to the ball, running fast to the ball, to bring him down."

In their last game, the Cowboys (5-1) couldn't stop the league's hottest quarterback. Now their challenge is to stop the league's hottest runner.

Tom Brady passed for 388 yards and five touchdowns to lead New England to a 48-27 drubbing of coverage-challenged Dallas. But the Cowboys are much tougher against the run, yielding just 80 yards a game to rank seventh in the league.

"You always want to stop the run no matter who you are playing," coach Wade Phillips said Wednesday. "But this team is the top rushing team (170.2), so it's even more imperative you try to stop the running game. The Bears obviously wanted to do the same and they had 311 yards rushing on them. It's going to be a challenge for our run defense."

Pace-setter
Peterson, a former Oklahoma standout, leads the NFL in rushing yards (607), is second in yards from scrimmage (782) and is tied for seventh in TDs (five) after he ran for a team-record 224 yards Sunday in a 34-31 victory over Chicago.

Peterson also returned a kickoff 53 yards to set up the game-winning field goal en route to amassing 361 all-purpose yards, third most in league history.

"Man, what a game," Phillips said. "You don't see many games like that by any running back, and then to be a rookie, it's pretty amazing. ... I was surprised. We played the Bears. We thought they were really hard to run the ball against."

Phillips said Peterson is a cross between Gale Sayers and Eric Dickerson.

"He has that shift of gears Sayers had and that tremendous speed Dickerson had," Phillips said. "I was there for the rookie years of Earl Campbell (with the Oilers) and George Rogers (with New Orleans).

"Those guys were amazing, and this guy's right there with them."

With his hometown just two hours from Dallas, Peterson couldn't get enough of the Cowboys as a kid.

"I've been looking forward to my first game against them," Peterson said in a conference call with Cowboys beat writers. "I'm really excited about it. It should be fun."

Peterson is on pace for 1,942 yards, a number that would obliterate Dickerson's 24-year-old rookie rushing record of 1,808 yards.

"Anything is possible," Peterson said when asked about breaking Dickerson's record. "If the offensive line keeps playing great and opening holes, it's possible to reach. I'm not being cocky or anything, just confident."

Hard worker
Vikings coach Brad Childress, whose team is 2-3, says Peterson works hard to reach his lofty goals.

"He's a million-mile an hour guy," Childress said. "He's not a guy who is going to come to a Wednesday practice and want to stand around in sweats. You almost have to slow him down."

The Cowboys intend to do just that Sunday.

"You just have to tackle well," Phillips said. "Anytime you get a back that can go all the way on any play even when he's hit several times, you've got to have everybody seeing where he is and flowing to the ball."

SoonerAcesUp
10/18/2007, 10:50 AM
There is an article about Peterson on ESPN's homepage now.

Texas Golfer
10/18/2007, 02:09 PM
The best argument is that AD is doing better against professional athletes than is McFadden against a weak SEC.

Stoop Dawg
10/18/2007, 03:08 PM
Peterson has proven himself on the big stage. McFadden has not ... yet.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/5/2007, 01:01 PM
Maybe the thread should be Peterson vs Thomlinson

McFadden had a pretty big day Sat...

Until you compare it to comparing it to BREAKING THE FREAKING SINGLE GAME NFL RUSHING RECORD.

Game, set, match...

JaminT
11/5/2007, 06:08 PM
CASE CLOSED

Rocker
11/5/2007, 08:07 PM
CASE CLOSED

HUH... Yeah!

Whats really funny is everyone already knew this! before he did what he did on sunday.

Charla
11/5/2007, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't spend to much time arguing with a pig. They call it pigheaded for a reason. For starters I guess the people who get paid to make these great decisions might not think that the Southeasy Conf. is the toughest as the last time I looked The BIG TWELVE had the most teams in the top ten. The Southeasy barely had two. I think that the PAC Ten had that many. BC and WV put together equal the SEC. I really can't blame the pigs for going the way of the SEC cuz if they would of stayed in the SWC when they broke up we would have the equivalent of Baylor squared. Or maybe the pigs could of followed TCU to Conf. USA and been a contender instead of a pretender in the SEC. I'm pretty sure they seldom get a player of Mcfaddens caliber as I can't off hand think of the last topnotch player to come out of pig u. I do remember Hillary from Arkansas but I don't think she went to school there as at least she was smart enough not to go back. I'm just ramblin now but I get so sick of that SEC crap.

SoonerShay
12/3/2012, 12:07 AM
Weird that McFadden wasn't seen as being injury prone, even though he was injured quite a bit at Arkansas. While that was all you would hear about AD before the draft.

picasso
12/3/2012, 12:09 AM
Is McFadden still playing these days?

SoonerShay
12/3/2012, 12:17 AM
Is McFadden still playing these days?

He is injured, like he is every year really.

picasso
12/3/2012, 12:21 AM
Is he still drivin' that dope car with tha lift kit? Awight.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/3/2012, 10:40 AM
Speaking of piggie, what bench is Ryan Mallet warming? piggie sucks.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2012, 10:44 AM
Uhm..Getting mop duty behind Tom Brady and Coach Belichick is like getting mop playing time at OU..

SoonerSpock
12/3/2012, 11:20 AM
http://www.vikings.com/team/roster/Adrian-Peterson/4dd7544a-5210-4aad-8e05-8ffb8cd92ddd

http://www.raiders.com/team/roster/Darren-McFadden/9b2e056b-6079-470a-8f11-3e80de6318f1

ENOUGH SAID