PDA

View Full Version : Remember that new car I bought because someone wrecked my Xterra...

MamaMia
10/16/2007, 01:37 AM
Well, someone wrecked into my brand new Pathfinder this evening. The value of my car diminished by thousands in one split second. I was sitting at a stop sign leaving the parking lot at the store. A woman crashed into me from behind and pushed me into the street a couple of feet. Thank goodness she and the small child she illegally had in the front seat weren't hurt. Unless she has a different policy number than the one she wrote down, that policy has been canceled.

She called her husband, a police officer, who drove by and asked what had happened. She told him that she ran into me and that it was her fault. He then told her not to say anther word about it. Another police officer arrived a few minutes later and handed us an Oklahoma Motor Collision Report and he told her to only fill out the Insurance Information Exchange part and give it to me. He asked to see my insurance card and drivers license but failed to ask for hers. She left the rest of it blank and didn't even sign it.

In the last 4 months I have had a radical hysterectomy, been the victim of two car accidents and we lost to Colorado. I'm very depressed, plus I really don't feel very well at all. :(

soonerboomer93
10/16/2007, 01:59 AM
i'm sorry about the accident mama

HskrGrl
10/16/2007, 02:01 AM
I am so sorry. That just doens't seem fair at all. Did you happen to get her husband's name and badge number? I would bring it up with someone else at the police department. Did you get her license plate number? I don't know how the Oklahoma collision report form looks but I believe on Nebraska's there is a place where you write down all the info of the other person's car that hit you. Put down her make and model and license number. Write down in the extra space EVERYTHING that went on and that was said. Make sure document all it. I know on NE's form there is even a place to write down if an officer responded to the scene and his name and badge number. I hope and pray that it all works out without you having to go through a big ordeal. *hugs*

olevetonahill
10/16/2007, 02:14 AM
Ya want me to come take the Pig out ?

Okla-homey
10/16/2007, 05:22 AM
Well, someone wrecked into my brand new Pathfinder this evening. The value of my car diminished by thousands in one split second. I was sitting at a stop sign leaving the parking lot at the store. A woman crashed into me from behind and pushed me into the street a couple of feet. Thank goodness she and the small child she illegally had in the front seat weren't hurt. Unless she has a different policy number than the one she wrote down, that policy has been canceled.

She called her husband, a police officer, who drove by and asked what had happened. She told him that she ran into me and that it was her fault. He then told her not to say anther word about it. Another police officer arrived a few minutes later and handed us an Oklahoma Motor Collision Report and he told her to only fill out the Insurance Information Exchange part and give it to me. He asked to see my insurance card and drivers license but failed to ask for hers. She left the rest of it blank and didn't even sign it.

In the last 4 months I have had a radical hysterectomy, been the victim of two car accidents and we lost to Colorado. I'm very depressed, plus I really don't feel very well at all. :(

Ma,
That succs. If my new vehicle got hit I'd be mad enough to spit. You should make out okay between your collision and your Uninsured Motorist Coverage on your policy. Go ahead and make the claim and tell your carrier everything you told us, along with the precise time of day, where it happened and anything/everything you remember about the hoochie who hit you. They'll fix your car (your collision coverage does this if she's uninsured) and if you have any bodily injury, your UIM will cover that. I bet they'll get to the bottom of this "blue wall" the two Barney's seem to have attempted to erect. Good news is, as I'm sure you're aware, if you get rear-ended, it's virtually always the other guy's fault.

MamaMia
10/16/2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks you guys. I asked the policeman why we didn't have to fill out the whole report since there is a place to write down what happened and all. He said because it happened on private property which may be part true. I believe she was technically on private property when she was behind me but I was partially onto the street when she knocked me even further.

Homey, I'll do what you say. I'm on hold with her insurance company right now. I called her last night to tell her that her insurance said her policy was canceled and she said that she had just changed from full coverage to liability and that she would call me back. I never heard from her. I took the day off to take care of this.

NormanPride
10/16/2007, 10:49 AM
Look on the bright side, Mama. At least you're not an aggie?

If you make the next tailgate, we'll mix you some drinks that will make you forget allll about this. :)

Okla-homey
10/16/2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks you guys. I asked the policeman why we didn't have to fill out the whole report since there is a place to write down what happened and all. He said because it happened on private property which may be part true. I believe she was technically on private property when she was behind me but I was partially onto the street when she knocked me even further.

Homey, I'll do what you say. I'm on hold with her insurance company right now. I called her last night to tell her that her insurance said her policy was canceled and she said that she had just changed from full coverage to liability and that she would call me back. I never heard from her. I took the day off to take care of this.
I forgot to mention this at flippin 0530 when I posted the above. Any witnesses? If so, they can sure help. I realize if you didn't take any names or numbers down at the scene it might be a tall order, but nevertheless, I would be remiss as your Sooner brutha if I didn't mention it.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/16/2007, 12:25 PM
Methinks this smells of coverup. I would file an internal complaint with the PD.

StoopTroup
10/16/2007, 12:58 PM
There were two cops that witnessed the aftermath and I'd say it would be hard for them to tell how you backed into his Wife's car...

I'd try to find some other witnesses too though.

We're pullin for you Mama...

and....her child is a witness too.

Let's see if the Cops will teach their kid to lie.

MamaMia
10/16/2007, 02:00 PM
She lied.

She has no insurance and there is a question as to whether or not she and her male counterpart, who showed up at the scene in a Woodward police car to comfort and coach her, are legally married. My insurance company got all the facts and made me go down to the police department and tell the captain what happened. He said he would call me this evening or tomorrow morning.

That woman was allowed to slither away from the scene after giving false information to a police officer, having no insurance and with a tiny little girl improperly restrained in the front seat of her car. Not one person asked if I was okay and when I asked the policeman if I could tell him what happened, he said it didn't matter because she admitted she ran into me. But it did matter, because the whole collision didn't happen on private property.

I guarantee if I would not have been able to produce my drivers license and insurance that my car would be in impound and I would have been posting a bound or bail or whatever they call it nowadays.

I am so depressed and I'm running out of Puffs. :(

Hamhock
10/16/2007, 02:03 PM
how is it you can have an interaction with that many people in woodward without knowing any of them?

i hope it all works out well for you. is there a Woodward newspaper reporter looking to make a name for himself?

MamaMia
10/16/2007, 02:07 PM
how is it you can have an interaction with that many people in woodward without knowing any of them?

i hope it all works out well for you. is there a Woodward newspaper reporter looking to make a name for himself?I dont know. I just wish I would have put on the waterproof mascara. What was I thinking? :(

IB4OU2
10/16/2007, 02:14 PM
She lied.

She has no insurance and there is a question as to whether or not she and her male counterpart, who showed up at the scene in a Woodward police car to comfort and coach her, are legally married. My insurance company got all the facts and made me go down to the police department and tell the captain what happened. He said he would call me this evening or tomorrow morning.

That woman was allowed to slither away from the scene after giving false information to a police officer, having no insurance and with a tiny little girl improperly restrained in the front seat of her car. Not one person asked if I was okay and when I asked the policeman if I could tell him what happened, he said it didn't matter because she admitted she ran into me. But it did matter, because the whole collision didn't happen on private property.

I guarantee if I would not have been able to produce my drivers license and insurance that my car would be in impound and I would have been posting a bound or bail or whatever they call it nowadays.

I am so depressed and I'm running out of Puffs. :(

That's OK Mom...youv'e done all you can do and we still may be going to the MNC even with the Colorado loss. I'm just glad you or the little girl were'nt hurt.

The sun will come out tomorrow ..hmmm..hmmmm..hmmmm...hmmm...hmmmm....tomorrow, tomorrow it's only a day away.

MamaMia
10/16/2007, 02:22 PM
That's OK Mom...youv'e done all you can do and we still may be going to the MNC even with the Colorado loss. I'm just glad you or the little girl were'nt hurt.

The sun will come out tomorrow ..hmmm..hmmmm..hmmmm...hmmm...hmmmm....tomorrow, tomorrow it's only a day away.Thank you.

SoonerBOI
10/16/2007, 02:29 PM
May God comfort you always...

Boomer.....
10/16/2007, 02:33 PM
I hope everything works out for you, Mama.

TexasSooner01
10/16/2007, 02:35 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. Whenever I find myself getting depressed and stressed out I try to think about the blessings in my life, like my kiddos, family, friends, etc. That helps me get through.

Things will get better for you soon. There will be a light at the end of the tunnel, I promise!

Petro-Sooner
10/16/2007, 02:52 PM
Everything will get better. Keep us updated.

Jimminy Crimson
10/16/2007, 02:54 PM
Well, if the woman or child were hurt enough to go to the hospital, you'd at least have their names... ;)

Glad you're okay, 'cept for the Pathfinder.

MamaMia
10/16/2007, 04:04 PM
Well, if the woman or child were hurt enough to go to the hospital, you'd at least have their names... ;)

Glad you're okay, 'cept for the Pathfinder. Thank you. It could have been worse. I'm pretty banged up but its hard to tell the difference between the new hurts and the ones from the last collision that hadn't healed yet. I had one good hip left. Now I don't. :(

My doctor is out of town until Monday but I could pay a visit to the gentleman who is covering for him. I cant drive more than 30 or 40 minutes since the last wreck and my doctor is in the city, well over 2 hours away.

I think I just need to lay down for a little while.

nmsoonergirl
10/16/2007, 04:15 PM
A hot bath, a nice glass of wine, and a nap sounds like just what you need. Hang in there.

Jimminy Crimson
10/16/2007, 04:51 PM
A hot bath, a nice bottle of wine, and a nap sounds like just what you need. Hang in there.

Fixed! :cool:

PhxSooner
10/16/2007, 06:04 PM
What a lousy thing to happen. So sorry to hear about it.:( Make sure you get some rest and wait for the police captain to call.

OzarkSooner
10/16/2007, 08:02 PM
If your insurance doesn't step up pretty quickly or if the PD doesn't call I've got three words for you:

Personal Injury Lawyer. Some of those guys are absolutely VICIOUS!!! I think I might go ahead and consult one anyway.

Hope you get to feeling better REAL soon and remember, it's just a vehicle and you are okay and nobody else got seriously injured. I do know though that not much sux worse than the first ding or wreck in a spankin' new vehicle!!!

And of course, all your friends here are commiserating with you, so you've got that going for you. 8)

Okla-homey
10/16/2007, 09:00 PM
If your insurance doesn't step up pretty quickly or if the PD doesn't call I've got three words for you:

Personal Injury Lawyer. Some of those guys are absolutely VICIOUS!!! I think I might go ahead and consult one anyway.

Hope you get to feeling better REAL soon and remember, it's just a vehicle and you are okay and nobody else got seriously injured. I do know though that not much sux worse than the first ding or wreck in a spankin' new vehicle!!!

And of course, all your friends here are commiserating with you, so you've got that going for you. 8)

Here's the thing though, if the hoochie who hit Ma is broke, which I'll bet she is, hence no insurance, you can't hope to recover the square root of jack shiite. In other words, she's what lawyers call "judgment-proof." Therefore, the baddest PI lawyer in the world can't do anything for you versus a bum tortfeasor who lacks insurance.

It's a sad fact of life, but in our system where money damages are about the only thing available (since they outlawed indentured servitude and debtors prison;) ) if the person who hurt you is poor and/or in debt up to their eyeballs, you're pretty much screwed, blued and tatooed.

ChickSoonerFan
10/16/2007, 09:27 PM
That sucks. So sorry. I hope you are ok, emotionally and physically.

Lots of good advice here, especially the bath, bottle of wine and a nap. It may not solve much, but may help you relax a little.

:)

Good luck.

GottaHavePride
10/16/2007, 09:58 PM
Mama, I found you a replacement vehicle:

http://www.tanksforsale.co.uk/T72_113/T72_in_the_UK%20(2).jpg (http://www.tanksforsale.co.uk/T72_tanks_for_sale_page.htm)

www.tanksforsale.co.uk

:D

StoopTroup
10/17/2007, 12:29 AM

It's funny you mention that....

Anymore I'm starting to think that might be the best way to go...

If your in a wreck and you think the other person might be a scumbag without a lick of insurance....

Don't produce a DL or Insurance.

Do it later...make a big scene and then right about the time you think they might take you to jail....go "You know what...I forgot...I do have my DL...go ahead and write me a ticket for no insurance.

Then go down to the DVM and clear it up with them.

Cops know when folks are scamming them with bad insurance info.

They love writing that ticket.

You might have gotten them to actually do something in this case.

Just a thought.

Frozen Sooner
10/17/2007, 12:38 AM
Here's the thing though, if the hoochie who hit Ma is broke, which I'll bet she is, hence no insurance, you can't hope to recover the square root of jack shiite. In other words, she's what lawyers call "judgment-proof." Therefore, the baddest PI lawyer in the world can't do anything for you versus a bum tortfeasor who lacks insurance.

It's a sad fact of life, but in our system where money damages are about the only thing available (since they outlawed indentured servitude and debtors prison;) ) if the person who hurt you is poor and/or in debt up to their eyeballs, you're pretty much screwed, blued and tatooed.

Maybe the judge could sentence the wench to be Mama's butler...

Hope everything works out, Mama. Glad you have your own coverage. I CANNOT believe the number of times I hear people say they got hit by someone without liability coverage.

frankensooner
10/17/2007, 09:20 AM
This is the reason you carry UM/UIM insurance.

Okla-homey
10/17/2007, 11:38 AM
This is the reason you carry UM/UIM insurance.

But there's a catch counselor. Here in the Sooner State, UM only pays BI claims. Property is covered by your collision coverage. Thus, if you get whacked by an UM, the car gets fixed by your insurer, less any deductibles, and it's not beyond the pale to fear your rate will go up as a result.:(

OUinFLA
10/17/2007, 12:01 PM

Thus, you should only have wrecks with high-end vehicles. Benzes, BMW's, Caddies...... It improves your odds.

Good luck Mama. We went through the same situation last spring.
Our insurance company covered the bill, then sued the guy with the minimum coverage allowed for the balance. Since he didnt have a pot to pee in, Im sure they didn't get to collect much.
10K as a minimum coverage doesn't go far in covering the cost of today's vehicle. I'm kinda supporting a minimum coverage amount of 25K.

Frozen Sooner
10/17/2007, 12:03 PM
But there's a catch counselor. Here in the Sooner State, UM only pays BI claims. Property is covered by your collision coverage. Thus, if you get whacked by an UM, the car gets fixed by your insurer, less any deductibles, and it's not beyond the pale to fear your rate will go up as a result.:(

Could be worse. Could be in MA, where all collisions are covered on a no-fault basis.

olevetonahill
10/17/2007, 12:14 PM
So MOM what did the Popo captain have to say ??????

frankensooner
10/17/2007, 12:40 PM
Yeah, she said her hip was hurt. That sounds like BI to me!!!

Okla-homey
10/17/2007, 02:20 PM
Yeah, she said her hip was hurt. That sounds like BI to me!!!

but it sounds like what hurts most is her car is a mess.

MamaMia
10/17/2007, 04:56 PM
So MOM what did the Popo captain have to say ??????The Captain called and said "Both police officers, [the boyfriend and his buddy], said that the collision happened on private property so nobody was at fault", and that if I wanted to file a complaint, I could do so. :(

ChickSoonerFan
10/17/2007, 08:05 PM
The Captain called and said "Both police officers, [the boyfriend and his buddy], said that the collision happened on private property so nobody was at fault", and that if I wanted to file a complaint, I could do so. :(

So do it! File the complaint.

I seriously do not see what it being on private property has to do with anything? I wonder if your insurance agent has any info on that.

olevetonahill
10/17/2007, 08:32 PM

I seriously do not see what it being on private property has to do with anything? I wonder if your insurance agent has any info on that.
What Chick said ! plus call the Mayor and any and all City council members you can .
Then Call your Attorney AKA Shark !
;)

Sooner_Havok
10/17/2007, 08:51 PM
Unfortunately, I think they might be right. I have heard from a lot of different sources, that if an accident occurs on private property, then the responding officers can't assign fault. Sucks hardcore, I was t-boned in a parking lot by some a-hole who was cutting through two empty spots instead of going to the end of the aisle, Local PD informed me that while it was clear that it wasn't my fault, they couldn't state that the other guy caused the accident because it had happened on private property.

In the end, my insurance had to pay to fix my car (thank god I had full coverage) and my rates didn't go up right away. I had two accidents like that in two years (hit on private property) and got the same thing both times. Rates didn't go up until I was actually at fault on public property, at which time my rates went up 500%. Legally, they can't raise your rates for accidents that aren't your fault, but they keep track off that stuff, so when you are at fault, they can jack up your rates to ridiculous levels once you are at fault.

MamaMia
10/17/2007, 09:28 PM

I seriously do not see what it being on private property has to do with anything? I wonder if your insurance agent has any info on that. The lady at my church said that it sounded as if they knew exactly what they were and weren't going to do before they ever drove up. The secretary at my insurance agents office had me go to the police station. She said I should go talk to the chief and file a complaint. I didn't file a complaint because the Chief is out of town. They just had me talk to the Captain.

I was leaning against my car when the 1st patrol car arrived. He pulled up right next to me and said that the lady who hit me was his wife and explained that it would be a conflict of interest for him to be involved and let me know that officer Whosits was on his way. He was trying to comfort her and asked her why she was so nervous. She said ..."because I just hit her brand new car." He then said "Its no big deal. Accidents happen. She'll get over it." Mind you...I hadn't said one word to him or to her, other than "I think we should call the police. Thats when she said "I already called. My husband is a police officer." The Captain said they weren't married.

Much later, here comes Officer Whosits. After talking privately in length to the criminal who hit me, he asked me for my drivers license and proof of insurance. When I handed it to him, I asked if I could see hers and explain to him what happened. He said that I didn't need to see her information. She would write it down for me and he said it didn't matter what happened because it happened on private property. I then explained that wasn't entirely true because I was past the stop sign inching out into traffic when she hit me. He just shrugged his shoulders, grunted and walked away. He didn't even ask me if I was hurt, which I was. I had an immediate massive headache and my right hip was in pain all the way down the back of my leg to my knee. I'm more upset over the way the police acted than I am over the car damage. I trusted them. You're suppose to be able to trust the police. :(

Sooner_Havok
10/17/2007, 09:34 PM
You're suppose to be able to trust police, but you can't. As bad as that sounds, it is the truth. Police officers are just as bad, if not worse, than the criminals they are supposed to be protecting us from 90% of the time.

Hire a lawyer, or at least threaten the hoochie and her Boyfriend/Husband and the Local PD that you are going to hire one.

PhxSooner
10/17/2007, 10:40 PM
I was hit by a woman in our church parking lot. The cops didn't respond since it was on private property, but both insurance companies had us draw a diagram of what happened, and they assigned fault from that. But if she's uninsured I don't know what options you have.

olevetonahill
10/17/2007, 10:42 PM
Mom If the popos have ANY integrity they will do what I did
I was Off duty ( POV ) hit a parked car in a parkin lot . I called into the PD had em send an officer out to investagate . My insurance paid fer the parked car . I paid for mine
Course I got FIRED for giving a city councilmans wife a ticket ! 6 months later !
So Take it to the AG if you have to ! DSo NOT give up to the local pogs !

Okla-homey
10/18/2007, 05:34 AM
You know Ma, in your very first post, you said your car ended up with its front quarter, perhaps even front third, in the public thoroughfare. Thus, I'd argue this accident was partially in public, therefore, the danged old cops need to do their jobs. Just spit-ballin' mind you.

Look on the bright-side. You have insurance, so you'll get fixed. This is the succ, but at least none of your kids were hurt, and it sounds like you were'nt hurt too bad either. Also, not to preach b/c as I've stated, I'd be mad as a wet hen if this happened to me too, but, it's only a thing. "Things" can be fixed &/or replaced. Folks sometimes can't.

I just hope that cop get's hosed by his "common-law" wife someday. In Okrahoma, he may well be deemed to be married to that hooch since he publicly "holds her out" as his wife. There's no magical time limit they have to be shacked to make it so. Karma can be a beyotch. She might take-off someday, and both of them might be required to obtain a divorce before they can get married to someone else. That's the thing about common law marriage a lot of people are clueless about. You have to get a no-kiddin' real divorce to end a common law marriage.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/18/2007, 08:33 AM
I'm more upset over the way the police acted than I am over the car damage. I trusted them. You're suppose to be able to trust the police. :(

Sadly, in many parts of the country, not anymore...

They are more worried about overtime, retirement, the next donut or being a sanctuary location and not enforcing the national laws to care...IMO

soonerhubs
10/18/2007, 08:46 AM
I say you find a way to put this together in a freelance article and send it to all the local and major newspapers.
Or take out an ad telling people to watch out for the person that hit you because she won't be held responsible. It's not libel if it's the truth.

Embarrass that town until they take action against corruption is the name of the game IMHO.

Or put together a letter for us all to mail to their city hall. I'd copy, paste, print, and stamp one for ya.

Mjcpr
10/18/2007, 08:48 AM
In Okrahoma, he may well be deemed to be married to that hooch since he publicly "holds her out" as his wife.

I think this means 1TC is married to his pee pee.

Hamhock
10/18/2007, 09:17 AM
I think this means 1TC is married to his pee pee.

yes, but i hear he is very good to her.