PDA

View Full Version : ALCS/Baseball question

handcrafted
10/15/2007, 06:58 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this, so.

I've noticed over the last few years, a significant number of major league players do something to their batting helmets. It looks like they took a blowtorch to it, and burned off the logo as well as a lot of the paint on the front.

Can anyone enlighten me on what the point of this is?

trwxxa
10/15/2007, 07:04 PM
The players have pine tar on their bats, which eventually gets on the gloves, which eventually ends up on the helmut.

You don't clean your gear until after the season is over.

olevetonahill
10/15/2007, 07:12 PM
Dont worry about where ya post stuff ! it will get moved to the right spot . :P

OCUDad
10/15/2007, 07:12 PM
The players have pine tar on their bats, which eventually gets on the gloves, which eventually ends up on the helmut.

You don't clean your gear until after the season is over.Except for Manny Ramirez, who takes an actual blowtorch to his helmet. :D

handcrafted
10/15/2007, 07:16 PM
Isn't it against MLB rules or something for the players to cover up team logos?

handcrafted
10/15/2007, 07:18 PM

You don't clean your gear until after the season is over.

Oh, so it's a superstition thingy. Obviously the Red Sox must take it more seriously, because I see a lot of Injun Joe's on hats and helmets out there, but fewer "B"s.

Ballplayers. (spit)

Petro-Sooner
10/15/2007, 07:22 PM
Is there a game on tonight? I dont normally watch baseball but I hear the Rockies are still in and would like to watch them play in some snow. :)

handcrafted
10/15/2007, 07:24 PM
ALCS, Boston and Cleveland. I'm guessing the Rockies play tomorrow.

bluedogok
10/15/2007, 10:45 PM
Rockies are on TBS right now.

Ike
10/15/2007, 11:55 PM
Oh, so it's a superstition thingy. Obviously the Red Sox must take it more seriously, because I see a lot of Injun Joe's on hats and helmets out there, but fewer "B"s.

Ballplayers. (spit)

It's not so much a superstition thing as it is that the helmet is actually a very convenient place to store pine tar on your body, next to Kenny Rogers palm. Feel like your grip on the bat is starting to slip? Adjust your hat. You don't risk another George Brett incident that way.