PDA

View Full Version : Out-of-towner Eating in Norman?

AgRyan04
10/14/2007, 09:56 PM
I'm going to be traveling through Norman this weekend (making the trip up to Lincoln for the A&M/Neb game).

We'll most likely stop in Norman for dinner on the way up so I was wondering if you could make any suggestions on where to stop and eat. Any local hot spots that are fairly inexpensive ($8-12 per person)?

Thanks and good luck up in Ames this weekend....we'll probably cross paths on the highway.

Gig'em

bakerjrb
10/14/2007, 10:08 PM
My favorite from college days is The Border Crossing - serving New Mexico-style Mexican food - lots of green chilies. It's off I-35 a couple of miles on Main Street near Norman HS.

Ask for the Shed Special - a three layer flat enchilada made with blue corn tortillas and stuffed with green chili stew.

I am going up to Norman for the OU-A&M game on Nov 3, and can't wait to get back there to eat!

Good luck in Lincoln, Ags.

jrb

tommie15
10/14/2007, 10:09 PM
We may have the two worst coaches in 1-A, but your team hasn't quit yet. You'll roll us in Lincoln.

Sounds like we'll both be rid of them soon enough. Have a nice trip.

Edit: And here's everything you need to know about Lincoln: http://www.darthhusker.com/guide.htm

Sooner98
10/14/2007, 10:11 PM
Lots of chain restaurants to choose from along I-35, take your pick. BJ's Restaurant is the newest one along there. If you want to venture further into Norman, Tarahumara's has great Mexican food. Coach's has BBQ/burgers/pizzas, etc., and has lots of cool Sooner memorabilia, if you're interested in that kind of thing. Benvenutis (across from Coach's) is good. Bison Witches has the look of a bar, but has great sandwiches. Victoria's (on campus) has great Italian food.

AgRyan04
10/14/2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks guys....sounds like we won't have any problems finding some grub.

tommie -- Everyone in Aggieland is thinking the same thing you all are....we're going to get rolled. One thing I can say is that our kids definitely haven't quit.....they're a very close-knit bunch and of all the things we can complain about that is certainly not one of them. Good luck this weekend.

tommieharris91
10/14/2007, 10:18 PM
Plenty of good places on Campus Corner, just north of the OU campus. Plenty of bars there too, if you really need a drink.

Sooner98: Victoria's is on Campus Corner, right?

Sooner02
10/14/2007, 10:24 PM
Eat at Charlestons on Ed Noble Parkway, across from the mall, right off I-35 and Main. They have a good menu selection and quality food.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/14/2007, 10:29 PM
Denny s is pretty good

Redshirt
10/14/2007, 10:35 PM
Waffle House rocks!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/14/2007, 10:37 PM
Waffle House rocks!

Remember when Waffle House had all you can eat? I was so sad when they took that away

HSC-Sooner
10/14/2007, 11:04 PM
The Greek House is a pretty good hole-in-the-wall place for gyros, it's near Campus Corner across from the Sarkey's Energy building.

colinreturn
10/14/2007, 11:07 PM
3 words.

Sooner. Dairy. Lunch.

Leroy Lizard
10/14/2007, 11:08 PM
I recommend Coach's, especially if you are a beer drinker. They have some pretty good handcrafted Beers that are brewed on the premises. Their food selection is wide and the food is pretty good.

King Crimson
10/14/2007, 11:10 PM
the Diner on Main St. downtown for breakfast.

that's good Norman stuff.

AlabamaSooner
10/14/2007, 11:27 PM
3 words.

Sooner. Dairy. Lunch.

Well said, I agree. I love their burgers and fries. It's a shame I didn't eat there for the first time until my senior year.

In addition to that, VAN'S PIG STAND! The best brisket I've ever had. Awesome tasting fries and sweet tea as well. Crap, now I want to drive 900 miles just to eat there...lol.

King Crimson
10/14/2007, 11:36 PM
same guy has been running Sooner Dairy Lunch since i was a freshman and sophomore at Norman West in the mid 80's.

get a real cherry coke or a limeade, too.

Piware
10/14/2007, 11:41 PM
We like the Service Station near campus and also The Mont. Good food and lots of atmosphere.

Soonerus
10/14/2007, 11:50 PM
Service Station, Mont, Border Crossing and Diner are the local choices...

critical_phil
10/14/2007, 11:54 PM
Rusty hath spoken, and it shall be so.

sooner518
10/15/2007, 12:09 AM
I definitely second Tarahumaras. Best Mexican food in Norman by far. The Mont is a fun atmosphere as well, especially if you want to rub elbows with a bunch of students.

Victorias is a cool Italian place, but I always thought of it as a date place,not soem place I would go to as Im on my way to a football game.

Soonerus
10/15/2007, 12:12 AM
Tara's and Victoria's are also great...

Crucifax Autumn
10/15/2007, 12:55 AM
I'd personally recommend a backyard BBQ or a family fish fry.

Soonerus
10/15/2007, 12:58 AM
Lots of good B'BQ in Norman

Crucifax Autumn
10/15/2007, 01:00 AM
Yep, but nothing beats the care that is taken when it's a personal event and not a BBQ establishment.

Sooner_Havok
10/15/2007, 01:11 AM
the Diner on Main St. downtown for breakfast.

that's good Norman stuff.

Word! :D

sjt
10/15/2007, 09:45 AM
I recommend The Mont. It is right off campus. I've yet to have a better club sandwich anywhere else. The queso is pretty good too!

http://www.themont.com/

I also recommend Charlestons.

http://www.charlestons.com/

TopDaugIn2000
10/15/2007, 09:52 AM
Greek House. or Bison Witches.

Border crossing is NASTY!!!!! The Mont is WAY overrated. Service Station's burgers are dry.

I gotta go check out "the diner", that's gonna be my main competition when I open mine in a few years.

soonerloyal
10/15/2007, 10:13 AM
La Baguette on Main across from NHS is awesome as well. Get some of their pastries for the road, too. I know they have another place open somewhere in Norman, but don't know where.

I always liked Prairie Kitchen better than Waffle House.

Lots of great barbeque in Norman, great sides too. My favorite cole slaw, though, was at Rib Crib.

Ah Wong's was my favorite Chinese place. Is it still there? Thai Cum Coon on Lindsey is halfway decent if you get there early at lunch. And can get over the name. Yeah, I'm 48 - I shouldn't pay attention to things like that, but the first time I saw the place, it just him me wrong...

And it might not appeal to many of you...but commercial TexMex is best at Taco Cabana. I'm sick of Florida not having TexMex.

Now I'm hungry AND homesick. Y'all suck. *sniffle*

Partial Qualifier
10/15/2007, 11:19 AM
Border crossing is NASTY!!!!! The Mont is WAY overrated.

agreed; agreed. Although the Mont's queso and chicken fried steak are good, it's not a place you'd typically go for "good food".

That's not the first time that I've heard Border Crossings used to be really good but I gotta tell ya, if it was ever good it's gone WAY downhill since then.

sooner518
10/15/2007, 11:33 AM
what i wouldnt give for the best, cheap Chinese food in the world, located at Happy Family. We absolutely lived on Happy Family and Moe's burritos my last 2 years in Norman.

Vans Pig Stand is pretty good BBQ

and i concur with the Border Crossing. that place is teh suc

Will
10/15/2007, 02:04 PM
Service Station, Mont, Border Crossing and Diner are the local choices...

That is good stuff right there

Petro-Sooner
10/15/2007, 02:13 PM
The sizzler. Excellent bread pudding.

:texan: