PDA

View Full Version : Some one splain please ?

olevetonahill
10/14/2007, 07:26 PM
The BCS has changed things so much this olevet is :confused:
How in hell are the BCS rankings figured ? what polls ? what computer rankings ? ETC .
Please splain in a simple language that I can unnerstan .
tks

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 07:35 PM
It's a very simple process really.

Frozen Sooner
10/14/2007, 07:40 PM
Coaches' poll percentage of total possible.
Harris poll percentage of total possible.
Computer average of possible.
Can't remember all the computer rankings used, but Sagarin and Billingsley are two of them.

Stitch Face
10/14/2007, 07:41 PM
CAN I GETZ A BCS RINGTONE? PLZKTHX!!1!

Just kiddin', oledude. Seriously, how this shiz work now?

bluedogok
10/14/2007, 07:54 PM
Kind of like automatic transmissions.....fluid and magic :D

Ash
10/14/2007, 07:59 PM
Not sure if this will help Olevet, but FWIW:

BCS Standings

Compilation of Standings

Since the 2000 regular season, the BCS Standings have been compiled by the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame.

The Standings include three components: USA Today Coaches Poll, Harris Interactive College Football Poll and an average of six computer rankings. Each component will count one-third toward a team's overall BCS score.

All three components shall be added together and averaged for a team's ranking in the BCS Standings. The team with the highest average shall rank first in the BCS Standings. The first BCS Standings of the 2005 season will be released on Sunday, October 15. The BCS Standings will be used for:

1. Selecting the teams that will participate in the national championship game.

2. Determining any other automatic qualifiers; and,

3. Establishing the pool of eligible teams for at-large selection.

Polls

In the Harris Interactive College Football Poll and USA Today Coaches Poll, a team will be evaluated on the number of voting points it receives in each poll. A team's Harris Interactive score will be its points in the poll divided by its total possible voting points (if 114 voters, then 2850=114 x 25). The same formula will apply to the USA Today Coaches poll and its total voting points (if 63 voters, then 1575=63 x 25).

The number of actual voters, which can vary, is figured into the computation on a weekly basis in stating each team's percentage of a possible perfect score.

Computer Rankings

Six computer rankings will be used: Jeff Sagarin, Anderson & Hester, Richard Billingsley, Colley Matrix, Kenneth Massey and Dr. Peter Wolfe. Points will be assigned in inverse order of ranking from 1-25. A team's highest and lowest computer ranking will be discarded in calculating its computer rankings average. The four remaining computer scores will be averaged and the total will be calculated as a percentage of 100.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/standings

olevetonahill
10/14/2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks Ash thats what I needed . My son asked me a ? i couldnt answer . this helps splain it .

Ash
10/14/2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks Ash thats what I needed . My son asked me a ? i couldnt answer . this helps splain it .

Glad to help! :)

Sooner Eclipse
10/14/2007, 08:10 PM
I haven't looked in a year or 2 but goes something like this.

Harris poll rankings are given a numerical value with 1.0 being #1; .977 being #2; etc. (not sure of the fractional values below 1.0)

Coaches poll rankings are given the same numerical value based on 1.0 being the greatest also.

Comp polls rankings for each team are added together (less the highest and lowest rankings) and averaged out. Then the teams are ranked on that value and assigned a value just like the human polls.

The three values are added together and averaged to come up with BCS rankings. Im not sure of the values of each position lower than #1 but they are a sequentially lower value than 1.0

This may not be perfect but pretty close

LRoss
10/14/2007, 08:15 PM
I love how everybody ("professional" college football tv people to "regular" fans) talk about how it's insane and it's like calculus only more complicated, etc. etc. etc. Obviously there's more to it than looking at won-loss records in the paper, but it really isn't all that rough, eh?

bluedogok
10/14/2007, 08:19 PM
You are talking about people who don't seem to be able to come up with anything on their own, they are used to being spoon-fed everything. How can you expect them to figure out a math problem?

olevetonahill
10/14/2007, 10:50 PM
You are talking about people who don't seem to be able to come up with anything on their own, they are used to being spoon-fed everything. How can you expect them to figure out a math problem?
You making fun of me ? :eek:

Crucifax Autumn
10/14/2007, 11:15 PM
I understand the math...that's simple.

But to me, here's how it goes: You take a totally bs coach poll where guys that have only seen maybe 12 teams and their own vote for the top 25. Then you get a bunch of biased sportswriters who watcha game or 2 a week and then look at final scores to also vote for the top 25. Then you take a bunch of highly scientific, well-respected and flawless computer rankings with entirely different "proven opinions" and for some reason throw out the best and worst for each team despite the amazing accuracy of those computers and average what's left. Then you average these 3 highly flawed systems and like magic, you have a perfectly sensible and accurate ranking.

What could be confusing about that??? The math is the only part that IS simple honestly.

redblood
10/14/2007, 11:30 PM
Im new on this board.
What is a spek?

tommieharris91
10/14/2007, 11:34 PM
Im new on this board.
What is a spek?

Post of the year.

Crucifax Autumn
10/14/2007, 11:46 PM
Spek is something you get lots of for looking for Boomer Sooner ringtones.

redblood
10/14/2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks I got some and did not know for sure.

olevetonahill
10/15/2007, 12:04 AM
Im new on this board.
What is a spek?
watch the green dots below user name . See em they are green right ? niw watch :D

olevetonahill
10/15/2007, 12:06 AM
Whoa Red light green light . lol
Now watch .

Crucifax Autumn
10/15/2007, 12:48 AM
Most important thing to remember about Spek...It means nothing until you start worryingt about it. Otherwise you just post what you think and let the chips fall. In the grand scheme of things it's about as important as the points on "whose Line is it Anyway".

Mark_of_Tulsa
10/15/2007, 12:58 AM
Post of the year.

It's that's special feeling you get when you are with your favorite gal.

Zing
10/15/2007, 01:31 AM
It's that's special feeling you get when you are with your favorite gal.

It's cheerin' real loud for the home team!

Crucifax Autumn
10/15/2007, 01:46 AM
It's shaving that hair that mysteriously started growing on your palms!

StoopTroup
10/15/2007, 12:18 PM
Listen noobs...

Your gonna get little tidbit of bad info about spek on here.

SPEK is important to you...

SPEK is the way you track clues that help you uncover board secrets.

If you want to know how to get a Sponsor Gift...you'll need to utilize SPEK.

If you want to know anything...even the smallesr tidbit of info...SPEK is the vehicle you must use.

YWIA

ST

MextheBulldog
10/15/2007, 12:33 PM
South Florida, 2nd in the BCS. The science fiction scenario of falling asleep for decades, awakening, and finding the world inhabited only by eyeless nuclear mutants has arrived: you are, whether you like it or not, staggering around the streets yelling “IS ANYONE OUT THERE?” at the fact that South Florida is the second-ranked team in the BCS.

Ohio State claims spot one, followed by South Florida at two, Boston College at three, LSU at four, and Oklahoma at five. Army’s 1947 squad is number six, the nation of Bolivia is at seven; acclaimed chef Eric Ripert and his kitchen staff are at eight, and finally, the nine spot is occupied by a sweet 2005 Dodge Ram dualie and chrome pipes with the Idaho plates 323 AAJE. The truck’s owner, Steve Redding of Boise, Idaho: “What the **** is my truck doing in the BCS standings?”

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?p=3988

stoopified
10/15/2007, 12:47 PM
I thought they used a blindfolded monkey and a dart board.

deweydw
10/15/2007, 01:04 PM
It seems to me that these opnion polls, as well as the BCS, don't mean squat this year. High ranked team gets beat by unranked or low ranked team. Low or unranked team moves up in the polls. Then the next week, the team that moved up, gets beat and falls off the map. I know I'm asking a lot and it's been discussed at no end here. But it's time for a playoff system. IMO.