PDA

View Full Version : Indiana loses 1 scholly

tulsaoilerfan
10/14/2007, 12:11 PM
Just saw on ESPN that Indiana will lose 1 scholarship next season because the coaching staff made too many phone calls to potential recruits; don't remember the exact wording but think that's pretty damn funny.

cb4ou
10/14/2007, 12:30 PM
Sampson also volunteered to give up his 500K raise.

How stupid can you be?

BillyBall
10/14/2007, 12:35 PM
Thats funny, he would be a great pitch man for a Bloomington cell phone store.

StormySooner-IN
10/14/2007, 01:05 PM
Just saw on ESPN that Indiana will lose 1 scholarship next season because the coaching staff made too many phone calls to potential recruits; don't remember the exact wording but think that's pretty damn funny.Yea its funny.
<<---------Look at my Location.

Oh, it's DAMN funny if you're me!:D :D

CtheB
10/14/2007, 01:07 PM
Sampson also volunteered to give up his 500K raise.

How stupid can you be?

Once a cheat, always a cheat, and we are better off to be rid of him.

SoonerShark
10/14/2007, 02:24 PM
Further phone call violations while at Indiana have led the school to not give him the $500K raise that he was scheduled to receive.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21294057/

Indiana to punish Sampson for recruiting calls
Coach exceeded NCAA limits, will lose $500,000 raise, 1 scholarship
The Associated Press
Updated: 12:42 p.m. CT Oct 14, 2007

INDIANAPOLIS - Telephone calls to basketball recruits have landed Indiana coach Kelvin Sampson in trouble again and will cost the team a scholarship and Sampson a scheduled $500,000 raise.

Indiana announced Sunday that the school’s basketball staff exceeded NCAA limits on calls to recruits during the past year — a period during which Sampson was prohibited from off-campus recruiting because of excessive recruiting calls when he was coaching at Oklahoma.

The new violations happened on about 10 occasions when an IU assistant coach started three-way calls that connected Sampson into an ongoing recruiting conversation with recruits, their parents or coaches, school officials said.

“We determined that the impermissible calls occurred because some staff members did not fully comply with the sanctions they were operating under,” IU athletic director Rick Greenspan said in a school statement. “We are addressing the problem, and we are voluntarily extending these limitations on recruiting for another season to ensure that the full effect of NCAA restrictions or recruiting is realized.”

Sampson, who is entering his second year leading the Hoosiers, and Greenspan were scheduled to discuss the sanctions with reporters Sunday afternoon.

Sampson is voluntarily giving up a scheduled $500,000 raise for this season and the basketball program will lose one scholarship for next season, school officials said.

SoonerBOI
10/14/2007, 06:37 PM
I'm so glad we have Jeff Capel now, so glad.

stoopified
10/15/2007, 12:07 AM
KS should be fired and banned from D-1 ball for at least 4 years.

william_brasky
10/15/2007, 12:23 AM
Shoot, you think we were tough on him for the phone thing?

I bet those Hoosier fans are raising major he-double-hockey-sticks about this.

william_brasky
10/15/2007, 12:26 AM
Didn't have far to look.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071014/SPORTS/710140466

sooner518
10/15/2007, 12:39 AM
so to get around those pesky rules about how many times a head coach can call a recruit, they get an assistant to call the recruit and then connect KS through a conference call? blatantly against the rules. what a moran

CitySooner
10/15/2007, 08:45 AM
Ha Ha! The Hoosiers are about to get Hosed! That's what they get for hiring a cheater who was never that great a coach. I'm sorry, but I never cared for Sampson. He always talked down about his players, never giving them props when they deserved it. He ran a boot camp during practice where players got injuries and by the end of the season they were worn out. And worst of all, he never let his players play to their talents, which made HIS brand of basketball ugly! Why do you think so many good players trasnfered? This would be a good topic: In the last ten years, what college basketball coach has had the most players quit his team?

Boomer.....
10/15/2007, 10:45 AM
Wow. Some people just never learn. :kelvin:

colleyvillesooner
10/15/2007, 11:45 AM
What a snake...

GrapevineSooner
10/15/2007, 12:48 PM
Guess he had to out-stupid Coach Fran.

Taxman71
10/15/2007, 01:20 PM
Can you imagine what shape OU would be in if Sampson had stayed in Norman and this happened in light of the NCAA's spanking of us in April? We would literally be facing some of the worst probation in history (SMU excluded).

StormySooner-IN
10/15/2007, 02:44 PM
Shoot, you think we were tough on him for the phone thing?

I bet those Hoosier fans are raising major he-double-hockey-sticks about this.Posted it on here, place I'm on a lot. All IU fans: (you have to sign up-sorry) http://www.tipsyturtle.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1891

Jacie
10/15/2007, 06:32 PM
I thought one of the provisions of his contract was that he had to give up his cell phone.

mfosterftw
10/17/2007, 12:28 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071016/OPINION/710160325/-1/LOCAL17

October 16, 2007

Editorial
Tell second-chance coach he's playing with 4 fouls
October 16, 2007

Our position: An ultimatum must accompany Kelvin Sampson's punishment.
A few dozen forbidden phone calls among thousands of legitimate ones. A handful of missteps during months of hard work, none of them proven to be nefarious. A heavy punishment all the same.
The leadership of Indiana University and its athletic department would hope that the disposition of another Kelvin Sampson situation is sufficient for all concerned parties to move on, to use a favorite expression of the messy modern sports world. We would answer that it gets harder and harder to move with all this baggage.

The basketball coach who came to IU under sanctions by the NCAA has been caught again, this time by a law firm hired by the university itself to look into fresh allegations. While it is commendable that new IU president Michael McRobbie, who inherited Sampson, ordered the probe and that the school came down hard on its target, the downplaying of any telephone liberties as small and honest mistakes absolutely won't wash.

Specifically, the investigation by Ice Miller turned up 45 "impermissible calls" -- 35 calls to recruits by Sampson's assistants and 10 three-way calls in which the head coach participated. The explanations were that Sampson failed to keep close enough tabs on his aides when it came to the 35, and he was caught by surprise on calls others initiated in the case of the 10.
"A result of carelessness, as opposed to any deliberate attempt to evade the sanctions," McRobbie said of the latest embarrassment. And the university imposed no mere slap on the wrist -- loss of a $500,000 raise granted for last year's success, forfeiture of a scholarship for one year and another year's recruiting restrictions. The NCAA also is investigating and could levy further penalties.

Tough action. What's troubling is that it was not matched by tougher talk. A man who tried to portray as an oversight more than 500 excessive phone calls to prospects while at the University of Oklahoma has no room for error when it comes to the workplace where he's starting over. For his employers to imply that any breach of the conditions under which he was entrusted with the hallowed IU basketball program was not fully his fault is, well, impermissible.
Many IU alumni, along with The Star's Bob Kravitz, have called for Sampson's dismissal. The university says McRobbie considered that step, as a president should for any staff member who commands a high-priced investigation. He was right to stop short of it, for now. The coach is still a respected professional who is dedicated to IU, and he's taken some bitter medicine without protest.

McRobbie was wrong, however, not to go a step farther. At the risk of stirring up unpleasant memories of his and Sampson's predecessors, he should put the coach on notice of zero tolerance. The resurgence of IU basketball may be a thrill ride, but it's also been a roller coaster, off court and on. The president must make it clear to the man at the lever, and the public, that the third time will be no charm.

Mjcpr
10/30/2007, 11:34 AM
The assistant coach in this investigation, Rob Senderoff, has resigned.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3086559

colleyvillesooner
10/30/2007, 11:39 AM
Kevin Sampson rules!!!11!!!

william_brasky
10/30/2007, 12:44 PM
The assistant coach in this investigation, Rob Senderoff, has resigned.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3086559

But Sampson said he wasn't aware that nine of the 10 calls were three-way connections. The one he knew was a three-way call was to clear up questions from a recruit who had already committed to making an on-campus visit, he said.

:confused:

william_brasky
10/30/2007, 12:47 PM
when in doubt, http://www.outofmusic.com/covers/00-va-dj_diggz_-_throw_em_.jpg

Boomer.....
10/30/2007, 07:53 PM
Maybe a rumor, but I just heard that Indiana just fired Kelvin.

soonerboomer93
10/30/2007, 08:42 PM
That was probably someone getting confused since I assistant resigned. I see nothing on sites that he was fired.

Big Red Ron
10/30/2007, 09:02 PM
heh, told you people.

yermom
10/30/2007, 10:29 PM
i just don't understand how you do this again

william_brasky
10/30/2007, 10:51 PM
look what I found on a Hoosier message board, posted by none other than the infamous Greg Swaim.

When Kelvin was at Oklahoma and got caught breaking the rules pretty much the entire Sooner fan base justified it by saying "everyone does it".

At IU it's never been about winning at all costs, but graduation student/athletes and not cheating. You now have a coach who graduated less than 30% of his athletes at OU and well, you know the rest.

I hope your next coach wins the right way...you deserve it for demanding ethics in your team.

"I'd rather listen to Saddam Hussein talk about human rights than listen to Kelvin Sampson on Ethics" - Bob Knight

Listen to the Greg Swaim Show each weekday from 1:00-3:00 pm on the TriplePlay Sports Network (KOKP/1020AM, KOKB/1580AM, KOSB/105.1FM) and streaming worldwide online at GregSwaim.com

what an a55clown.

here's the link http://indiana.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=726&mid=104444186&sid=942&tid=104444186&style=1

tommieharris91
10/31/2007, 12:37 AM
look what I found on a Hoosier message board, posted by none other than the infamous Greg Swaim.

what an a55clown.

here's the link http://indiana.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=726&mid=104444186&sid=942&tid=104444186&style=1
This message is no longer in our system.

aurorasooner
10/31/2007, 12:46 AM
I'm really glad Kelvin moved on to Indiana. Let them deal with his recruiting irregularities and snoozer offense.

william_brasky
10/31/2007, 12:29 PM
This message is no longer in our system.

I guess their admin or Swaim, the legend himself, took it down.