PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the game from a Mizzou fan

DocNice
10/14/2007, 10:49 AM
Like most big games, this one was decided largely by a few big plays.

If OU doesn't turn the ball over, they might well blow the Tigers out. If the Tigers don't turn the ball over, especially the stupid turnovers, they might have pulled out a win. If neither does, then the game is probably a whole different thing. But it was what it was. Hopefully we'll both get a chance to play a better game in the Big 12 championship game.

First, I thought Oklahoma was as good a team as I've seen them in a long time. Man you guys are big and fast and well coached. Missouri has a REALLY good offense, and you gave us fits. Great job tackling after the catch. Normally those sideline throws go for 8 yards and the 5 yard throws go for 12. With you they went for 0 and 5. You did a fantastic job of disguising blitzes, and while we picked them up pretty well, it kept us on our toes. Most impressively from a coaching standpoint, you disguised your coverages really well. Both of Daniel's interceptions were due to misreading the defense. He almost never does that. I can't remember he threw a pick from misreading a defense, rather than forcing a ball or a receiver tipping it. I was also pretty impressed with your physicality. The defensive line did a nice job of pressuring Daniel with a 4 man rush.

On offense, I knew you had a physical line, a poised QB good receivers and RBs. In other words, a complete and balanced team. But the receivers were better than I thought and Bradford took hits better than I thought he would.

For Missouri, I thought we showed we could move the ball and score with some regularity. We knew we had a good offense, but there was some question if we would fold under the pressure of a good defense. After watching this game, I thought you defense was every bit as good as advertised. Better even. But so was our offense.

On defense, I thought we played pretty good run defense, but I was disappointed that our secondary couldn't even remotely come close to covering your receivers. Great job converting 3rd downs. But I never expected the defense to win this game. I figured you balance would kill us and it did. We had to commit to stopping the run and we payed the price. But our defense did get enough stops to give us a chance to win, which in our situation, is about the best you could ask for.

All in all, I though this game was fairly close to what I expected. OU was every bit as good as I expected and better. But Mizzou's offense gave us a shot if we could capitalize on mistakes. I think OU has a real shot at the national championship. Good luck the rest of the season until we (hopefully) meet again.

OU-HSV
10/14/2007, 10:53 AM
Yeah, turnovers played a pretty big role in this game. To me I felt that the whole game ended up swinging on that Maclin (sp?) fumble that we picked up and ran in for a td.
Thanks for posting, good luck the rest of the season.

stoopified
10/14/2007, 10:56 AM
Pretty good analysis,and I think there will be a CCG rematch,watch out for KSU though.

Piware
10/14/2007, 10:56 AM
The Tigers are way better than they were the last time these two teams met. I thought the offense was impressive and Chase Daniels has matured a lot.

We still have to play Texas Tech and you all have KU but there is a good chance we will be seeing you all in the Big XII game. Good luck until we met again.

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 11:02 AM
You guys have another tough game next week at Home.

If you guys beat TTech, ISU should be a breeze.

Those road games against Colorado, KSU and Kansas are a must to make it to the Big XII CG.

Good luck

ST

adoniijahsooner
10/14/2007, 11:06 AM
Mizzou's offense of legit, but Its hard to fear a team that cant line up every once in awhile and run between the tackles. if ou plays mizzou in the ccg it will be the 6-7 time that they faced a spread offense this year, and history shows that this defense gets better as the year goes on. Mizzou's defense will get steamrolled in a rematch, our offense was average yesterday and we still moved the ball pretty efficiently. i would rather face a team I have already played, than to face K-state or kansas team that looks very solid this year.

DocNice
10/14/2007, 11:12 AM
Mizzou's offense of legit, but Its hard to fear a team that cant line up every once in awhile and run between the tackles. if ou plays mizzou in the ccg it will be the 6-7 time that they faced a spread offense this year, and history shows that this defense gets better as the year goes on. Mizzou's defense will get steamrolled in a rematch, our offense was average yesterday and we still moved the ball pretty efficiently. i would rather face a team I have already played, than to face K-state or kansas team that looks very solid this year.

Not sure what any of those things have to do with it. Offense is about scoring, not about running between the tackles and making statement. OU has seen spread offenses many times this year and last year, including an identical offense against us last year. How will seeing it again mean you stop mean you stop us the next time? And I'm sure OU will improve, but cannot Missouri also improve?

adoniijahsooner
10/14/2007, 12:48 PM
basically what i am saying is that too many things can happen when the ball is flying through the air 40-50 times a game, and when your passing game isnt working you have to be able to run the football to take pressure off of chase daniel. Good defenses adjust and catch up to good offenses all the time, thats why the wishbone, and option offenses are extinct, and thats why the spread will be a dinosaur in a few years because defenses will figure out a way to stop it. But there is no substitute for lining up and hitting someone in the mouth to get the tough yards when the game needs to controlled, a perfect example being that we ran close to 100 yards in the 4th quarter last night. maybe I am off topic, but I do think that this mizzou team is dynamic and have the best set of athletes at receiver than any team in the nation.