PDA

View Full Version : JOSH HEUPEL

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 10:11 AM
I'm beginning to see a pattern.

Anyone think Josh could open his own QB School soon?

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/josh_heupel_105.jpg

• Tutored Paul Thompson, who, after finding out just one day before fall camp that he would play quarterback, piloted OU to an 11-3 mark. He put up numbers on the season that rank among OU's top 10 for passing yards, touchdown passes and completion percentage.

ResOUrce Link (http://soonersports.com/school-bio/josh_heupel.html)

Discuss....

:pop:

SoonerEmpire
10/14/2007, 10:14 AM
I'm STILL p*ss*d that he didn't win the Heisman.

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 10:14 AM
I always will be...

He deserved it.

fadada1
10/14/2007, 10:17 AM
I always will be...

He deserved it.
and the 27 year old, ex-professional athlete didn't???

wait a minute, which side am i on???

oh yeah, you SUCK weinke!!!!

aero
10/14/2007, 10:19 AM
He absolutely deserved the Heisman. That trophy definitely lost some luster that year by going to the wrong guy. There was never any doubt he would be a great coach.

fadada1
10/14/2007, 10:21 AM
and maybe it's just me, but i think for every year of a professional sport you play, you give up a year of eligibility. if a kid decides to go for the loot, so be it. but if you want to go back to college, you have to give something up.

just sayin'.

Ardmore_Sooner
10/14/2007, 10:21 AM
Heupel, the next head football coach at the University of Oklahoma.

SWFloridaSooner
10/14/2007, 10:35 AM
When they brought Josh in as a QB coach, I'll admit I wasn't sure about the decision. I loved Josh as a player, but players don't always make good coaches. I was wrong. Josh has made a GREAT coach and I would love it if he followed in Stoops footsteps (just not in the near future). Again, not sure if he is head coach material, but he has proven me wrong once, he could do it again.

SoonerEmpire
10/14/2007, 10:35 AM

Sounds good to me!

But then again, what if Stoops sticks around for 5,000 years like Paterno at Penn State? Not that I'd be upset at all about that, but I don't know if Heupel will want to wait that long. ;)

fadada1
10/14/2007, 10:37 AM
josh is what?? 30?? needs about 8 more years as a coach/coordinator.

SoonerEmpire
10/14/2007, 10:40 AM
I think Stoops is good to stay at OU for AT LEAST another 8 years...

OU-HSV
10/14/2007, 10:42 AM
There's only one Josh Heupel.

Piware
10/14/2007, 10:48 AM
I loved it that Josh was running up and down the sideline in the 4th quarter gesturing for crowd noise when our defense was on the field. He was coaching his brains out with Sammy but he's as big a team Sooner as ever. It was great!

OU-HSV
10/14/2007, 10:49 AM
I loved it that Josh was running up and down the sideline in the 4th quarter gesturing for crowd noise when our defense was on the field. He was coaching his brains out with Sammy but he's as big a team Sooner as ever. It was great!
I saw a coach doing that, but I was too far away to tell who it was. That's awesome.

OUHOMER
10/14/2007, 11:07 AM
Gundy was running up and down in front of us. Also did you notice that Paul Thompson was on the side lines last night.

back to subject at hand, JH will make a good head coach somewhere down the line, he needs to get his time in. i just hope he puts his time in here. i would hate for someone to steal him to be a OC somewhere else before the timing is right at OU.

mhackl
10/14/2007, 11:21 AM
The Stoops (Hayden Fry) coaching tree continues to bloom.

SoonerTerry
10/14/2007, 11:24 AM

I like him for the next OC

OklahomaTuba
10/14/2007, 11:52 AM
Sumlin or Cale will be our next OC.

Joshy will then get promoted to passing/rushing game coordinator.

But no one doubts that one day, Josh will be the head coach @ OU. But hopefully it will be a long long time till that happens.

David Earl
10/14/2007, 02:04 PM
I felt great about Stoops hiring Josh and feel even better now. Josh gets a lot of credit for our QB success, IMHO.

bluedogok
10/14/2007, 07:04 PM
When they brought Josh in as a QB coach, I'll admit I wasn't sure about the decision. I loved Josh as a player, but players don't always make good coaches. I was wrong. Josh has made a GREAT coach and I would love it if he followed in Stoops footsteps (just not in the near future). Again, not sure if he is head coach material, but he has proven me wrong once, he could do it again.
The difference is he was not a superior physical specimen compared to other more athletic QB's. He was a good athlete who played like a coach on the field. Those are the ones that tend to make the best coaches because the have to work at it and learn how to maximize their physical abilities and make the difference in talent with their mind. To someone that is so blessed in the physical talent that they don't have to develop the mental side of the game, it is difficult for them to translate it to others. See Jabbar and Magic Johnson's attempts at coaching. Very few that have the physical tools develop the mental tools to the same level.

I think Josh will probably develop into a very good (and possibly great) coach someday.

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 07:08 PM
To someone that is so blessed in the physical talent that they don't have to develop the mental side of the game, it is difficult for them to translate it to others. See Jabbar and Magic Johnson's attempts at coaching. Very few that have the physical tools develop the mental tools to the same level.

Hey wait a minute....

http://espn.go.com/photo/2006/1013/nba_ap_thomas_395x300.jpg

Nevermind....:D

:pop:

bluedogok
10/14/2007, 07:09 PM
I thought about including him as well, but he was never physically superior like a Magic Johnson. He was a very good player on great teams. He has always been a complete bonehead.

tulsaoilerfan
10/14/2007, 08:49 PM
If Heupel doesn't stay in coaching, he should run for Governor

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 08:59 PM
Wonder if Boren would back him as a Democrat? ;)

DrZaius
10/14/2007, 09:02 PM
I'm STILL p*ss*d that he didn't win the Heisman.

But without that we would not have one of the best coin toss conversations of all time.
Torrance friggin Marshall

Desert Sapper
10/14/2007, 09:26 PM
But without that we would not have one of the best coin toss conversations of all time.
Torrance friggin Marshall

Great moment in Sooner History...:D

sequeira16
10/14/2007, 11:14 PM
can someone explain this famous torrance marshall moment to me?

Crucifax Autumn
10/15/2007, 12:58 AM
During the coin toss he looked at mr pro athlete 27 year old weenie and said "you got my boy's trophy. I'm here to take it back!".

And at that point, he became immortal in the Sooner hall of gods.

Zing
10/15/2007, 01:29 AM
for ever and ever, amen.

Crucifax Autumn
10/15/2007, 01:41 AM
And the best thing about it is he...and the entire team...backed it up for #7. We need that kinda attitude now and need to back it up on the field. If we can pull this one out, it's entirely possible that we can win 4 championships in a row. and if we do that, the streak will continue even longer with the kinda recruiting we'll have.

Desert Sapper
10/15/2007, 09:36 AM
And the best thing about it is he...and the entire team...backed it up for #7. We need that kinda attitude now and need to back it up on the field.

Boomer. I've seen it a little this year, but not that same intensity that TM brought to the D.

stoopified
10/15/2007, 09:46 AM
Heupel, the next head football coach at the University of Oklahoma.You think he will be ready to take over for Bob in 2019?

mfosterftw
10/15/2007, 10:18 AM
He absolutely deserved the Heisman. That trophy definitely lost some luster that year by going to the wrong guy.

I've always wondered how many votes Josh lost because the bursitis in his elbow was being (rightly so) concealed by the team. I seem to recall reading something to the effect that we never saw him out of long sleeves after the game in Manhattan (where it was originally injured). Had voters known about that injury, he might have gotten more votes for being a warrior, but also opened himself up to taking more hits on that side by teams looking to exploit it.

85sooners
10/15/2007, 10:40 AM
:cool: