PDA

View Full Version : Going for two?

Sooner98
10/14/2007, 09:17 AM
Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled we had such a big night last night, with the big win, and #1 and 2 going down, but this is something that is bothering me a bit. Going for two after going up 35-24 is the WRONG call. You kick the extra point to go up 12, leaving Missouri needing 2 TDs to win, rather than giving them a chance to tie with a TD and a FG. Fortunately, it ended up not mattering, but the point is, it could have if Mizzou had kept moving the ball like they were.

I'm reminded of the Orange Bowl against Florida State, when after Q scores the TD, we kick the extra point. The right thing to do in that situation is go for two, to go up 14-0, rather than 13-0. There is no difference between 12-0 and 13-0 in the final minutes of the game. Again, it didn't matter in the end, but I just don't understand why the coaches don't know when is the right time to go for one or two. It's really not that difficult.

Okay, I'm done nit-picking now. Thoughts? :pop:

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 09:20 AM
Stoops talked about it in his Post-game interview.

He agrees with you...it was a bad call.

He'll try to please you mo betta next game.

fadada1
10/14/2007, 09:38 AM
right now, a successful PAT would be hella sweet.

SleestakSooner
10/14/2007, 10:32 AM
I would like to believe that something was not well with Hartley (pulled hammy) and coach felt going for two was the better option. But even if that were the case don't we have a back-up kicker that could knock through an extra point or two?

Agreed it was a bad move on coaches part. Happily the whole team rose up and made sure MU would not get an opportunity to make it matter much. Bettors out there are quite ****ed about it though I am sure.

Great win and we learned a lot about this team yesterday.

SWFloridaSooner
10/14/2007, 10:40 AM
Well, I'm new, to posting anyway, I've been reading the site for years, but it seems to me that those decisions are easier when sitting in the arm chair at home than they are on the field, knowing the players perhaps a bit better than we do and perhaps having knowledge we don't have about the game. Not that I don't think the coaches make mistakes, but Bob usually admits it when they screw up. And I believe that he did say it was the wrong call in this situation.

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 10:45 AM
Hartley crouched to the ground after one of his PATs missed.

He looked disgusted but not in pain.

It was kind of like this...

http://johnstodderinexile.files.wordpress.com/2006/06/phil-mickelson-crouching.jpg

nBoSTP
10/14/2007, 10:55 AM
Stoops did call a good timeout to kick the field goal at the end of the first quarter though. So Hartley could still kick off with the wind at his back.

aurorasooner
10/14/2007, 11:03 AM
I don't have a problem with them going for 2, but if you throw the ball from the pocket instead of the roll when going for 2, and if you're the QB you better look-off a little and not lock on to your 1st read before unloading. With a short field, everyone out there is going to watching your eyes. BTW, Sam's looked pretty good outside the pocket. I don't think he's going to get very many rollouts because that's not a Heupel MO, but in a must win/must score red zone situation, I wouldn't mind seeing him roll out on the a run pass option.

ashley
10/14/2007, 12:23 PM
It is an easy decision. I could have done it from my living room. The card says 1. They must of left the card in the field house. The card tells you what to do so on the field emotion will not take over.

tulsaoilerfan
10/14/2007, 12:28 PM
I don't have a problem with them going for 2, but if you throw the ball from the pocket instead of the roll when going for 2, and if you're the QB you better look-off a little and not lock on to your 1st read before unloading. With a short field, everyone out there is going to watching your eyes. BTW, Sam's looked pretty good outside the pocket. I don't think he's going to get very many rollouts because that's not a Heupel MO, but in a must win/must score red zone situation, I wouldn't mind seeing him roll out on the a run pass option.
On the first 2 pt conversion, mizzou had 8 guys on the side of the field we threw to; pitch the ball to Murray to the left, and he only has to make 1 guy miss and he's in.

Curly Bill
10/14/2007, 01:06 PM
IMHO...going for two anytime except late in the game when it is really needed is the wrong play. The problem is when you don't get the two it seems you are for the rest of the game trying to regain those points, usually by going for two again after TD's and it becomes a situation where you would have scored more if you'd just kicked the pat every time. All this of course contigent upon your ability to actually make an extra point!

tulsaoilerfan
10/14/2007, 05:26 PM
IMHO...going for two anytime except late in the game when it is really needed is the wrong play. The problem is when you don't get the two it seems you are for the rest of the game trying to regain those points, usually by going for two again after TD's and it becomes a situation where you would have scored more if you'd just kicked the pat every time. All this of course contigent upon your ability to actually make an extra point!
I agree; i don't think you should go for two until the fourth quarter

bluedogok
10/14/2007, 06:00 PM
Yep, I don't think think you chase the point until you have to.

goingoneight
10/14/2007, 06:32 PM
Then you look like a real genius when your 2-pt conversion fails late in the game and you lose. There was a time when the 2-pointer was necessary to make up for Hartley's missed PAT, the second attempt was not that time. I get the feeling that we went for two because Hartley was having such a bad night. When you're hurt and you're expected to boom kicks through the endzone, it's hard to please everyone with your accuracy on FGs and PATs.

tulsaoilerfan
10/14/2007, 06:53 PM
Then you look like a real genius when your 2-pt conversion fails late in the game and you lose. There was a time when the 2-pointer was necessary to make up for Hartley's missed PAT, the second attempt was not that time. I get the feeling that we went for two because Hartley was having such a bad night. When you're hurt and you're expected to boom kicks through the endzone, it's hard to please everyone with your accuracy on FGs and PATs.
IF the special teams would get their act together this discussion would be unnecessary.