jk the sooner fan
10/14/2007, 01:25 AM
i dont remember the last time i've heard the fans as loud as we were tonite

nice job - students did a great job

when Lofton scored that TD - the place went crazy

i hope we sounded as loud on tv as we actually were

Sooner02
10/14/2007, 01:26 AM
I still think the loudest home game I've heard was Nebraska 2000. But it was still pretty loud tonight.

soonergirlNeugene
10/14/2007, 01:26 AM
There were times when it really sounded loud. Like after the LSU/KY announcement :D

jk the sooner fan
10/14/2007, 01:28 AM
There were times when it really sounded loud. Like after the LSU/KY announcement :D

yeah that was a bit retarded imo, our offense is on the field and we go ape crazy, creating the same crowd noise we were giving the mizzou offense

soonergirlNeugene
10/14/2007, 01:29 AM
I still think the loudest home game I've heard was Nebraska 2000. But it was still pretty loud tonight.

I was at that game with my dad. He actually gave himself a hernia from yelling so much! :eek:

StoopTroup
Agreed.

It got up there once tonight but just for about 1 down.

The 2000 NU game was the way it ought to be every Home Game IMO.

Sooner02
I honestly won't be surprised if the pollsters try to keep LSU above OU. Not that it's right, but wouldn't be at all shocked.

Sooner02
10/14/2007, 01:31 AM
The 2000 NU game was the way it ought to be every Home Game IMO.
It should be that loud, but it's not everyday you play the #1 team on your home field...and you're ranked #2.

soonermeteor
10/14/2007, 05:01 AM
nice job - students did a great job

when Lofton scored that TD - jeebus the place went crazy

Thanks, we try. :D

The Lofton score was more than screaming. People started jumping and falling on each other. That was probably one of the best moments of my OU game experience. It happened right on the yard line I was aimed at, a couple rows up.

I also enjoyed the craziness when the LSU loss rapidly spread throughout the student section. A lot of people were on the phone getting updates.

soonersn2007
10/14/2007, 05:47 AM
IMO, our stands are to full of older and laid back people..........(opera audience). It's been that way since I can remember back in the 80's. Some of those crusty unenthusiastic fans need to give their tickets up to some younger and crazier fans.

oupride
10/14/2007, 07:56 AM
I watched the game on tv and the noise was loud. I told my wife OUr fans were doing their part. It sounded noisy the entire game and if you attended I want to say THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. This was a BIG game and everyone of you deserve a game ball!

Crimson Kid
10/14/2007, 07:58 AM
IMO, our stands are to full of older and laid back people..........(opera audience). It's been that way since I can remember back in the 80's. Some of those crusty unenthusiastic fans need to give their tickets up to some younger and crazier fans.

Bob say's, you suck!!
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s312/TheRealGuitardeth/OU_COL_04_07.jpg

King Crimson
10/14/2007, 08:01 AM

why? i always hated seeing those old cheap stogie smoking, OU cowboy hat wearing farts who saw Bud's teams and their bee-hive haired wives going to games in the 70's and 80's. they have no business going to OU football games. turn the tickets over to today's "younger and crazier fans" who leave at half-time.

that's what OU tradition is all about.

SoonerTerry
10/14/2007, 08:03 AM
Bob say's, you suck!!
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s312/TheRealGuitardeth/OU_COL_04_07.jpg

King Bob is right... again

OUHOMER
10/14/2007, 08:07 AM

Well, I would like to see more enthusiastic fans, But most of those old coots have paid their dues and donated a lot of money. If they want to sit on their hands so be it. I will yell and cheer enough for the both of us. :cool:

OUinFLA
10/14/2007, 08:12 AM

hmmm ....can you imagine the "Booster funds" we could depend on from those younger crazier fans?

:rolleyes:

soonersn2007
10/14/2007, 10:23 AM
Well we can still take their money, they just need to give their tickets to some hoodlums that are rowdy.

SoonerGirl06
10/14/2007, 10:36 AM
I think you just need to hush up before you dig yourself in deeper.

I've been to some OU games and I've seen the "Opera crowd" yell and scream just as loud if not more so as the "Rowdy, Younger crowd" that you mentioned.

And I'm a youngster... at least IMO I am... so hush up now and move onto some other subject young buck.

SWFloridaSooner
10/14/2007, 10:50 AM
I'm not a student, but I'm not exactly old and crusty either. IMO the older crowd brings a little class to our stadium (and a lot of money). Now, I also believe that you can be LOUD AND CLASSY. Perhaps instead of saying to them give us your money, but not yourself (wow, that sounds like a spoiled child) we should accept them for the type of fan they are and just make up the noise ourselves. Some day I will be old and crusty and I will still be attending OU games and maybe I won't be able to be loud and obnoxious, but my heart will still be with the team and I will still want to be there to feel what you can only feel in Memorial Stadium in Norman Oklahoma. BOOMER SOONER!

colleyvillesooner
10/14/2007, 12:06 PM
Crowd was jumpin...

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 12:09 PM
It should be that loud, but it's not everyday you play the #1 team on your home field...and you're ranked #2.
That was a milestone as well.

The Day the Huskers ruled the Big XII ended that day IMO.

I still scream my last breath every game until I lose my voice.

r5TPsooner
10/14/2007, 12:51 PM
When Lofton ran the fumble back for a TD I proved that white men can jump. My wife and all of the fans around us were in a pandemonium state of happiness.

BoomerGirl34
10/14/2007, 01:10 PM
Plenty of loud crowd in the north endzone....we were hollering all night long!

GottaHavePride
10/14/2007, 01:39 PM

Don't say that around Italians - their "opera audiences" are known to boo singers off the stage. ;)

MichiganSooner
10/14/2007, 02:01 PM
My wife and I, in our mid-50's, are not quite old and crusty yet, but are somewhat quiet fans. We stand the whole game but usually just clap after plays. Don't know what got into us but last night we we roaring all night long when Mizzou had the ball. I wondered how the crowd sounded after Loftin's recovery which happened right in front of us compared to the goal line stand against cowboys in Let Er Rip game and compared to the fumble runback against Alabama.

Jewstin
10/14/2007, 02:40 PM
That was the loudest I had ever heard it there, but I didn't attend a game till the '04 season, so I missed out on '03 OSU, '00 Nebraska ...

It got ridiculously loud during a third down (that Missouri actually converted for about 25 yards or something), but that was probably the loudest ... it was ear piercing.

boomersooner82
10/14/2007, 02:48 PM
People don't have to stand up, make noise and be real fans if they don't want to, but please don't ask other people to sit down just because you're too lazy or unable to stand up. IMO, if someone isn't physically able or willing to stand up for the majority of the game (save for those in the handicapped areas, of course), they're better off staying home.

SoonerMom2
10/14/2007, 04:48 PM

Our tickets are in the northeast part of the endzone and it was loud -- actually seemed louder then Nebraska but then I think Sooner fans have gotten louder since then. It was awesome and must admit my throat is scratchy today.

CatfishSooner
10/14/2007, 04:56 PM
That was a helluva game to be at! It was loud...

sanantoniosooner
10/14/2007, 05:00 PM
From an "old fart" stand point......I'd like us to recruit screaming midgets. The added noise would be great while allowing the rest of us to see the game without having to stand up.

Just a thought.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/14/2007, 05:02 PM

Our tickets are in the northeast part of the endzone and it was loud -- actually seemed louder then Nebraska but then I think Sooner fans have gotten louder since then. It was awesome and must admit my throat is scratchy today.

Truth.

Last night was my first game in the north end zone. I had an absolute blast as far as crowd noise is concerned. I had a couple of older ladies in front of me and a dignified senior citizen next to my better half that was attending her first ever Sooner game. Every one of 'em was up and down, clapping, smiling, raising their own brand of hell in support of the boys out there. Beautiful environment, beautiful crowd, it was perfect.

Except for the retard sitting behind me with the 120 decibels of not knowing what the hell he was talking about. Really, get upset, get happy, let it all hang out and go home with your voices still echoing in the stands instead of your throats, but don't stand up and yell out some crap about, "Who has a sucky kicker? WE DO!", "Quentin Chaney sucks! He isn't worth ****!", and the all-time classic, grinching about Mizzou going for the onside with just a few ticks left, "C'mon! We just want to go home already!"

Wish he would've gone home. With all the greatness surrounding us, this one canker on the *** of life nearly spoiled one of my most favorite experiences at Owen Field.

But ladies, gentlemen, everyone else up there in the North End Zone, damn fine job! We'll see you next month!

jk the sooner fan
10/14/2007, 05:09 PM
section 18 - we were rockin! i'll give the mizzou fans credit for making a little noise, but geez, doing it during a timeout is kind of stupid

Tulsa_Fireman
10/14/2007, 05:10 PM
section 18 - we were rockin!

More truth! 17, represent!

BoomerGirl34
10/14/2007, 05:13 PM
Top of Section 19! WOOT!

bluedogok
10/14/2007, 06:16 PM
A bunch of them did during the Gibbs/Smellsofboubon/Blake years, that is how my father got his season tickets. He is 70 and yells and screams much more than I do at 43. If you want hooligans, go to Boulder, CU seems to have the rep for it and you see how everyone views them. I will take the crowd just as it is, it seems much louder than it was in the 70-80's.

Part of the noise "problem" is the stadium configuration, the new deck helped hold some of it in but the layout is too flat. A Michigan alum at work said that is the problem with "The Big house", flat and open. The loudest stadium that I have been to is the old Mile High Stadium in Denver, It was tight, tall and fully enclosed on three sides by decks. Arrowhead in KC is pretty good, plus with the steeper decks you can see over the person in front of you better.

MichiganSooner
10/14/2007, 07:01 PM
85,000 are louder than 111,000 at Michigan Stadium from start of game to end. And a fairly new Michigan Stadium rule is fans are to remain seated while the game is in progress.

Sooner_Havok
10/14/2007, 07:06 PM
85,000 are louder than 111,000 at Michigan Stadium from start of game to end. And a fairly new Michigan Stadium rule is fans are to remain seated while the game is in progress.

lame :(

CatfishSooner
10/14/2007, 07:10 PM
And a fairly new Michigan Stadium rule is fans are to remain seated while the game is in progress.

Lame

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 07:15 PM
That rule must have ended after the Oregon Game this year.

Petro-Sooner
10/14/2007, 07:40 PM
We had a guy several seats over yelling at Sam saying go indian. Lets go cherokee, Putnam City. Plus other unnessecary things. Other than that everyone around us was great.

illinisooner
10/14/2007, 08:04 PM
The student section was rockin last night...the most fun I've had at an OU football game. I've only been going since '04, but that was the loudest crowd I can remember. When Lofton picked up the fumble and ran it in, everyone was jumping around, screaming, etc and it was absolutely great. Reminded me a little bit of Reggie returning the fumble vs. Miami, only alot louder. It surprised me a little bit that this was the first ranked team to visit Norman since OSU in 2003.

Jdog
10/14/2007, 08:36 PM
Last night was great - reminded me of when Memorial Stadium had the nickname "THE SNAKEPIT".

Sooner_Havok
10/14/2007, 08:37 PM
I thought it's nick name was "The Fock"

Larry&Leisa
10/14/2007, 08:38 PM
**hoarsevoice** section 3 (mostly 45ish and up around us) was standing and one of the loudest I've heard in 10 years*hoarsevoice We commented also about how much noise Mizzou fans made only to be wasted during timeouts.. ( guess they figured that was the ONLY time they would be heard)

Had some new guy behind us whining the whole time..'why don't they go for it on 4th...' why is Patrick in there?' I can't believe blah blah and then his wife had to explain every call to him.... that's just wrong..

OKC-SLC
10/14/2007, 08:48 PM
section 18 - we were rockin! i'll give the mizzou fans credit for making a little noise, but geez, doing it during a timeout is kind of stupid
jk--my brother (OU-HSV) and I were about 5 rows from the top in the center of 18. Where were you?

And yeah, it was pretty loud.

tulsaoilerfan
10/14/2007, 08:51 PM
Um yeah, you lose those fans, you probably lose a TON of $ cause those old folks have the $ to donate; i know several here in my town that have been STH's for decades and they bleed Crimson and Cream, they just don't have the energy to get loud. :D

JohnnyMack
10/14/2007, 08:58 PM
I don't know if it was 52 - 9 loud and I wasn't at the NU game in 2000 (I got to watch that one from a hotel room in Baltimore), but last night's crowd was very loud. I thought we did a really good jorb.

jk the sooner fan
10/14/2007, 09:04 PM
jk--my brother (OU-HSV) and I were about 5 rows from the top in the center of 18. Where were you?

And yeah, it was pretty loud.

row 35

Tiptonsooner
10/14/2007, 09:12 PM
My throat is still bleeding.

r5TPsooner
10/14/2007, 09:14 PM
Last nite was one of the funnest games that I've ever been to at Owen Field. The wife was commenting on the way home that the Missouri game was a much better atmosphere and more exciting than Miami ever was. PLus the weather was excellent except for the large wind gusts.

Hopefully when we start scheduling better OOC opponents, those games might equal the Missouri game last night in terms of fun and crowd noise.

Was the Bama game a few years ago equal to the Missouri game last nite?

jk the sooner fan
10/14/2007, 09:16 PM
funnest?

Tulsa_Fireman
10/14/2007, 09:20 PM
'fun-nest adj. - 1. more than funner 2. full of funnery 3. inferior to 'funneriest'

OKC-SLC
10/14/2007, 09:28 PM
My throat is still bleeding.
I can vouch for Tipton's efforts.

badger
10/14/2007, 09:29 PM
NP and I had row 8 seats in section 17 where it was nice and close to Lofton proving that he's the man and #40 :D

We got these tix by politely declining $100 ones that were in the upper deck. The scalper said that politeness didn't cost anything :D

Oh, and the neg spek poster that thinks that quiet fans should give up their tickets is right... give them to me, please, and if you can manage, give me another for NP too ;););)

Really, do you realize why OU is getting all these new buildings, buddy? It's because of football. When we have a winning football team, donors are more willing to donate! And why is that?

Idiot: Because they realize that the state is funding higher education to a lesser extent than in many recent years?

NO, idiot. President "Uncle Dave" Boren recognizes a rowdy fanbase when he sees one and he is taking advantage in every way possible. Did you notice the $2 academic fee tagged to your tickets? Did you notice that other $10 fee? Yeah, unless you had to scalp like poor non-season ticket holders like me, you are paying for academics and new buildings and new programs around the university.

If you do not give these people a good football team and good seat to watch it from, you might as well be going to Oklahoma State - now THERE you can get some good empty seats that aren't taken up by any quiet old fans! And lacking academics... and lacking academic facilities. In fact, no need to donate for those at all! Just let ol' T-Boner pay off the athletic program! Every ticket is overpriced, good seat or not, because that's the Boone Pickens way! :D:D:D

Sooner_75
10/14/2007, 09:30 PM
Last nite was one of the funnest games that I've ever been to at Owen Field. The wife was commenting on the way home that the Missouri game was a much better atmosphere and more exciting than Miami ever was. PLus the weather was excellent except for the large wind gusts.

Hopefully when we start scheduling better OOC opponents, those games might equal the Missouri game last night in terms of fun and crowd noise.

Was the Bama game a few years ago equal to the Missouri game last nite?

Hell yes it was a better atmosphere. It was an evening game, all day to tailgate and it wasn't 95/95 humidity. I have been to games for over 20 years and I can only remember one or two times when the stadium was shaking like it did after Lofton's TD.

badger
10/14/2007, 09:34 PM
Point of information:

It was very clever that the MU fans were chanting "ZOU" after "MIZ" and it sounded more and more like "BEAT OU" at the end... kind of like students chanting a certain name of a player instead of "Boomer" after "Sooner" before it was discovered that "all he did was take cash" :rolleyes:

Tiptonsooner
10/14/2007, 09:44 PM
I can vouch for Tipton's efforts.

Great to meet you guys, we had a blast. Thanks for the ticket hook up!

I've been to alot of games, that was definitely in the top 3.

Chi Gamma Blackness
10/14/2007, 10:11 PM
I've been to every home game for the past 5 years and that was by far one of the loudest games I've ever had the pleasure to participate in. I've had a bum knee I was supposed to stay off for the next week and after all the jumping I did last night, I'm pretty sure I'll need a knee replacement.

Going crazy in the stands for my team trumps my ability to walk.:D

OUTromBoNado
10/14/2007, 10:16 PM
when Lofton scored that TD - the place went crazy

i hope we sounded as loud on tv as we actually were

Section 7 was rockin'. I think my head a-sploded on that play. I nearly killed Soonerdood. It was awesome.

SOONERnTx
10/14/2007, 11:13 PM
That game was my first ever experience in Norman. I'm not sure if that game can be topped! I'll never forget the fumble return for a TD by Lofton, our seats were on the opposite end of the field (sec 34), but the noise level was incredible. I thought it was great when they announced the LSU score also. Overall great experience, we will be back for the Nov. 10th game against Baylor, doubt that game will top this one, but i look forward to it. I wish I could live in that stadium!!!!!

Piware
10/14/2007, 11:28 PM
Well we can still take their money, they just need to give their tickets to some hoodlums that are rowdy.

I'm not 70 but have been going to our games for 30 years. We don't need hoodlums, drunks, or other undesirables - they belong in the Stool, Colorado and KSU. When the young folks can pony up the bucks we old fogeys have, we don't need a whippersnapper critique. Section 38 was loud and everyone was making noise - great job by the fans.

I have gone to work many times unable to talk for several days after yelling for the Sooners but got by just fine knowing there were thousands of other people that also couldn't speak above a whisper as their voices were also GONE! The young "enthusiastic" fans had gone to O'Connels at half time so somebody was making noise. Guess Who?!?

Sooner74
10/14/2007, 11:46 PM
Man I was sitting in Section 30 and that game was by far the loudest this year and the student section was going crazy all night. I thought it was pretty cool that some of the people in the boxes behind the student section turned their tv's around on the LSU game, so that the students could see what was going on. Man did we all start whooping and hollering. When Mizzou got the ball the noise just got louder and louder. On third down, I couldn't believe how loud it was. My ears felt like they were being pierced. I loved that game and I am glad that we can stay roudy and classy.

Crucifax Autumn
10/14/2007, 11:51 PM
That's what we need every home game. I never want to hear any opponents' fans running their mouth about how they are louder than Sooner fans. That's just disgraceful.

PrideTuba
10/14/2007, 11:57 PM
As far as I am concerned, the only thing that could have made that game better would be to have nobody wave the wheat.

It was definitely the loudest I have heard since osu 03.

Soonerus
10/15/2007, 12:05 AM
Crowd sound great on TV...I was out of town...

Crucifax Autumn
10/15/2007, 12:45 AM
So was I! I really need to move back to Oklahoma so I can experience the real atmosphere again.

oupride
10/15/2007, 08:58 AM
Did anyone get a count of the attendance?

Piware
10/15/2007, 09:03 AM

I think it was 85,041.

Larry&Leisa
10/15/2007, 09:48 AM
I believe they said 3rd largest attendance.

The 'waving wheat' did look pretty neat from the west side. Just glad the freaking wave didn't get going.

badger
10/15/2007, 10:11 AM
I've been to every home game for the past 5 years and that was by far one of the loudest games I've ever had the pleasure to participate in. I've had a bum knee I was supposed to stay off for the next week and after all the jumping I did last night, I'm pretty sure I'll need a knee replacement.

Going crazy in the stands for my team trumps my ability to walk.:D
Dude, you shoulda applied for a handicapped seat - great view, and SEATBACKS! :D

Animal Mother
10/15/2007, 10:33 AM
why? i always hated seeing those old cheap stogie smoking, OU cowboy hat wearing farts who saw Bud's teams and their bee-hive haired wives going to games in the 70's and 80's. they have no business going to OU football games. turn the tickets over to today's "younger and crazier fans" who leave at half-time.

that's what OU tradition is all about.

You sir, are a smartace!!!!

JohnnyMack
10/15/2007, 10:45 AM
Crowd sound great on TV...I was out of town...

...he was....on the road...driving....into the night...

OKLA21FAN
10/15/2007, 10:45 AM
i tried counting, but kept messing up. people kept moving around and getting up and sitting down. so I may have missed a few or counted some twice.

SoonerAcesUp
10/15/2007, 11:15 AM
I had the experience of sitting in Sec 40 in the middle of Missouri fans. For the most part, they were very cordial. We had a fun time! I thought it sounded pretty loud but from our seats we were about as far as you can get from the noise. The momentum swings in the game were huge. One minute we were screaming, the next they go up 24-23 and they were going nuts, then we drive right down the field and score and Lofton returns the fumble. We were jumping up and down on that and almost fell on the MU fans in front of us. Great game, great atmosphere! I wish we had more night games like that.

soonersweetie
10/15/2007, 04:26 PM
"NP and I had row 8 seats in section 17 where it was nice and close to Lofton proving that he's the man and #40"

Sorry for posting this so late-didn't get home til really late last night. Anyhow, Badger!! I had no idea you were in Sec 17. So were we! My family has had season seats in Sec 17 for over 30 years.

I was at the Neb game in 2000 and there were times in the 4th qtr Sat that sounded much louder than the Nebraska game. As mentioned, it wasn't just yelling crazy, it was jumping up and down crazy.

One of the best things about it was, it was really the first home game our kids got to see where they understood what was going on. They are 11 & 12. Last game they were at in Owen Field was in 2002. My daughter turned to me during the "Boomer"/"Sooner" chant and she said, wow, it's much louder here than when we hear it at home.

I'm glad they got to be there for that game. That was a great game to go to!!! Can't wait to watch my recorded version of it :D

Partial Qualifier
10/16/2007, 01:28 PM
Stoops thanked a reporter for asking about the crowd noise because he did notice it being better for Mizzou. Mentioned somethign about the Miami crowd noise as being good too.

noise love from Stoops :D

ADs_Agent
10/16/2007, 03:05 PM
we had a jerk of a Mizzou fan in 102, had to yell at him to shut up a couple of times, had a real nasty white boy fro, he left halfway through the 4th, and everyone was happy for it.

soonerboomer93
10/16/2007, 03:11 PM
i was in the south endzone and the atmosphere was pretty good. Alot stood for the whole game. We did go absolutely nuts after that fumble recover.

JohnnyMack
10/16/2007, 03:12 PM
we had a jerk of a Mizzou fan in 102, had to yell at him to shut up a couple of times, had a real nasty white boy fro, he left halfway through the 4th, and everyone was happy for it.

We had two guys like that in front of us. They couldn't have been moving any faster towards the exit after CL's touchdown.

ADs_Agent
10/16/2007, 03:30 PM
We had two guys like that in front of us. They couldn't have been moving any faster towards the exit after CL's touchdown.

when we were up by 10 he started talking smack, I yelled at him to shut up, the people behind me asked what he said, I responded that I couldn't understnad him through his fro. Good for a laugh :D

madillsoonerfan5353
10/16/2007, 08:51 PM
It was pretty loud at the Miama game too!!