PDA

View Full Version : OK, Maybe I'm a Little Bitter

Rogue
10/13/2007, 11:48 PM
I loved the OU/NU rivalry for years. I had a giant poster of the '71 "Irresistable Oklahoma meets Immovable Nebraska" cover of SI. I still think the '95 Huskers are the best team I've ever seen play. I hated it when the Big XII schedule determined that we wouldn't play every year (heard different versions of this and I still blame Donnie Duncan).

I was at OU '93 to '98. Tough years for sure.

My Dad flew in from Idaho in 1996 to watch us get beat 73-21. This was the year I decided I should try to support my tuition, work, and beer lifestyle by scalping tickets. I still have 9 tickets left over from that game that I couldn't sell before kickoff.

I made the trip to Lincoln from West Texas with a friend who grew up in Lincoln. Watched Eric Crouch catch that gimmick pass to beat us. 2001 I think. I know that lots of Sooners turned on Callenberger after the hillbilly deal. I didn't pay much attention to it.

I wish we played the Bugeaters this year. I'm still really :mad: about 1996.

Curly Bill
10/14/2007, 12:05 AM
I'd love to play the Bugeaters this year too, but then we might beat them so badly we'd be responsible for forcing them to get rid of Callenberger...and really, we don't want that do we?

You are right though in that it was a great rivalry.

Rogue
10/14/2007, 12:11 AM
I just have such awful memories when we were at rock bottom and they were still at the peak of their powers...and they stomped us bad. I'd like to return the favor now.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/14/2007, 12:11 AM
Just...breathe.

In through the nose....out through the mouth.

In...out. In...out.

Now let it go. Nebraska is humiliation personified.

Now just...smirk. And smirk...And smirk. Karma is a bitch.

aurorasooner
10/14/2007, 12:15 AM
We get them next year in Norman. Are they going to be any better? I hope Clownahan stays at least one more year. If he survives the nasty bugeater fans this year, you wouldn't have any trouble selling extra tickets to that one, TV or not.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/14/2007, 12:21 AM
Oh BTW, my father-in-law is a Husker fan. I try to explain to him how I root for the Huskers against any team besides OU, because the more the conference wins, the better--but he just looks at me as if I had two heads and says, "I could NEVER root for OU." :rolleyes: :confused:

Yep, and otherwise he's not senile as far as I can tell. Just...I guess...BITTER.

See how bitter messes you up?

aurorasooner
10/14/2007, 12:29 AM
but he just looks at me as if I had two heads and says, "I could NEVER root for OU." He must be one of those board posters they have with huge sig pics dogging OU. That's really lame when you support one team and have a HUGE photoshopped sig pic of another team in every one of your posts. Almost as lame as seeing some poster's sig pic over and over of some thong up the crack chic that came out of FHM. Infact having huge sig pics of any kind appearing over and over in a thread is just annoying. Georgia posters are the worst, but corn fans are close.

Spray
10/14/2007, 12:33 AM
How much for a '96 ticket?

tigepilot
10/14/2007, 01:01 AM
I was at OU '93 to '98. Tough years for sure.

Same years for me too.

I too remember the big beat down from Nebraska but I don't hold any animosity toward them for it. OU was BAD that year and it's not their job to hold back IMHO.

I used to look at Nebraska as the brother you always wanted to beat but also wanted to see do well. Not only were they in the same conference, but they also had an offensive identity similar to OU for years (different form of option). When they did well, it made OU look good too. Texas was the a$$ I couldn't stand to do well under any curcumstances.

I can't say I feel the same about Nebraska anymore though. Has more to do with their classless fans that have been showing up since they are winning as much anymore.

Rogue
10/18/2007, 11:14 PM
How much for a '96 ticket?

:mad:

stoopified
10/19/2007, 08:22 AM
Huskers can suck for eternity for all I care.In the Big 8 days we needed them but in the Big 12 with UT and the rise of TT,KSU,MU,etc.,who needs them? I want to beat them 85-0 for a decade.

85sooners
10/19/2007, 09:21 AM
lets pound those muthers!!!!!!!!!

Blues1
10/19/2007, 09:36 AM
The Old days are Gone --- Nebraska will NEVER be the same --- JMHO ~~~ I hope they lose every game they have....It would take at least 3 to 4 years to recruit enough players to run the old Huskers option plays ....(To run it Right thats is) If they try to go back and capture the The Golden Area of the 90's is just another kiss of death for whoever the coach is...??

AlabamaSooner
10/19/2007, 12:53 PM
I'm a huge traditionalist so I like to see the traditional powerhouses on top. Not teams like USF, etc. I do like to see Nebraska do well (because of the conference and they're a traditional power). However, I DO want to hang more than 50 next year in Norman. I was hoping 30-3 would be more, but it wasn't. I've got a ton of respect for the NU program, but we owe them for the 90's (even though we've got a streak going right now).

Regarding the changing of the schedules, it was ridiculous that NU was taken off the schedule like that. I've said this before, the Big 12 should schedule the same way the SEC does. You rotate teams from the other division on your schedule, but keep ONE common opponent from the other division. For example; Alabama rotates with everyone from the Eastern Division, but keeps Tennessee on the schedule every year. This was for rivalry purposes. Why should OU/NU be any different? Oh well.