PDA

View Full Version : Garrett Hartley's Struggles

SouthCarolinaSooner
10/13/2007, 11:40 PM
I mean the guy has gone from being a Groza finalist to missing 5 extra points this season and two field goals. Im definately not calling for Jimmy Stevens but any idea whats up with Garrett right now?

goingoneight
10/13/2007, 11:43 PM
Groin injury made his right leg sore for quite awhile and while it doesn't affect his boot strength, it does affect his accuracy when you go to kick and something "down there" hurts at the last second.

It's like a golf game, sometimes you're on, sometimes you're not.

mightysooner
10/13/2007, 11:43 PM
Our special teams are a joke period this year. Whoever that coach is, he needs to head on down the road.

AND.....no more Reggie Smith on punt returns.

OUHOMER
10/13/2007, 11:44 PM
tonight the holder fumble around with the ball.

Texas Golfer
10/13/2007, 11:44 PM
I mean the guy has gone from being a Groza finalist to missing 5 extra points this season and two field goals. Im definately not calling for Jimmy Stevens but any idea whats up with Garrett right now?

Only two field goals. It seems like more.

medstudent24
10/13/2007, 11:46 PM
If he's injured then take him out and put in the back up.

Absolutely no reason to miss XPs. Any soccer player off the street could make those kicks

SouthCarolinaSooner
10/13/2007, 11:46 PM
Our special teams are a joke period this year. Whoever that coach is, he needs to head on down the road.

Wheres Antonio Perkins when we need him:confused:

Curly Bill
10/13/2007, 11:47 PM

If one didn't know better you'd think Reggie was purposely making such bonehead decisions, like maybe he doesn't want to be back there on punt returns and he's trying to force OUr hand.

mdklatt
10/13/2007, 11:48 PM
Not to be all :mack: about it, but I think the missed PAT might have been because of a wind gust.

BornandBred
10/13/2007, 11:49 PM
I'm pretty sure he took over for a senior kicker going through much the same troubles... Anyone remember Trey Dicarlo?? He WAS good, lost his "choppy feet", then was replaced by an incomming freshman kicker, Hartley. Stoops has shown a lack of patience with kickers, I'm sure if the next one down was any good, he'd be in there.

sooner518
10/13/2007, 11:49 PM
Not to be all :mack: about it, but I think the missed PAT might have been because of a wind gust.
no way that thing was headed straight to the side from the second it left the ground. he just hit it fat

SouthCarolinaSooner
10/13/2007, 11:50 PM
It's like a golf game, sometimes you're on, sometimes you're not.
See exception "a" Tiger Woods.

Ground_Attack
10/13/2007, 11:50 PM
all 5 of them? it could very well cost us down the road. you have to take those freebies

mdklatt
10/13/2007, 11:53 PM
no way that thing was headed straight to the side from the second it left the ground. he just hit it fat

I think he might have been trying to compensate for a gust that died as soon as the ball left the ground. The winds were definitely squirrely. I thought for sure that miss was going to bite us in the ***, though.

SoonerKnight
10/13/2007, 11:54 PM

I believe its Stoops!!! And the road he will be on will be to #8!!! :D

Rogue
10/13/2007, 11:56 PM
Hartley is injured. Give him a break. It's not like a kicking slump where he can hit the 40 yarders but not the 35 yarders. Poor kid can't even hit an extra point.

Reggie Smith fair caught one then looked up and had about 9 yards of green where he had room to work. I think after that one he decided "no more fair catches - I'm gonna make something happen."

I've been much more concerned about our kickoff coverage this year than these other things going on. Looked a shade better tonight.

On Stoops' show this week he was bragging on our 46 yard punt average last week.

msteudem
10/14/2007, 12:00 AM
On a positive note GH did kick a bunch of em out of the endzone to keep it away from one of the best ko ret in the nation.(Maclin) Kudos to Cohen for limiting Maclin on PRs as well.

mightysooner
10/14/2007, 12:03 AM
Wheres Antonio Perkins when we need him:confused:

Exactly! I think I'd rather see Murray returning punts. Reggie doesn't have "it" anymore.

RacerX
10/14/2007, 12:07 AM
When he doesn't kick it out of the endzone, he gets to make the tackle.

SouthCarolinaSooner
10/14/2007, 12:17 AM
Exactly! I think I'd rather see Murray returning punts. Reggie doesn't have "it" anymore.
Not sure if he ever did.

Petro-Sooner
10/14/2007, 12:26 AM
I'm thinking it was reggie that caught a fair catch late in the fourth deep. Guy got his butt reemed from Stoops!!!! He wasn't happy AT all.

Spray
10/14/2007, 12:37 AM
No reason that Murray shouldn't be returning punts. Reggie, God love him, should hit the sidelines on fourth down.

tulsaoilerfan
10/14/2007, 12:49 AM
Looked like he shanked the **** out of it to me. :pop:

tulsaoilerfan
10/14/2007, 12:52 AM
Hartley is injured. Give him a break. It's not like a kicking slump where he can hit the 40 yarders but not the 35 yarders. Poor kid can't even hit an extra point.

Reggie Smith fair caught one then looked up and had about 9 yards of green where he had room to work. I think after that one he decided "no more fair catches - I'm gonna make something happen."

I've been much more concerned about our kickoff coverage this year than these other things going on. Looked a shade better tonight.

On Stoops' show this week he was bragging on our 46 yard punt average last week.
I don't think anyone's not giving him a break, but if he is injured that badly that he's missing extra points, then it might just be time to give another guy a try; if not for the freak turnover by Mizzou that Lofton ran back, this game would have been a nail biter and the missed XP would have loomed rather largely

tulsaoilerfan
10/14/2007, 12:53 AM
Also, does anyone else think Reggie doesn't seem as fast as he did as a Freshman? He just doesn't seem to have that burst that a PR needs to break the big one.

IronSooner
10/14/2007, 01:07 AM
Reggie has seemed a little different to me ever since he got hurt last year. His inability to grasp the idea of "letting it go inside the ten" baffles me. I thought it was interesting tonight that they had both him and Franks back there together. I'm curious to see what Franks can do, he seems a little more explosive.

Kickoffs need to be Iggy and Murray. Provided Iggy can stop fumbling the damn ball.

Is Stevens redshirting or is he a R-Fr? If Hartley's really hurt to the point that he can't kick PATs reliably, then somebody else needs to do it. If it's just him periodically sucking, practice more. At any rate we have got to stop missing those, it's embarrassing and potentially very costly.

jk the sooner fan
10/14/2007, 01:15 AM
i've got no complaints about Hartley, I think he's the leading tackler on kickoff returns this year

SoonerKnight
10/14/2007, 01:19 AM
i've got no complaints about Hartley, I think he's the leading tackler on kickoff returns this year

Not a good thing!^^^^ :confused:

Curly Bill
10/14/2007, 01:28 AM
Not a good thing!^^^^ :confused:

It assuredly is not a good thing, but you see: sometimes if the kicker doesn't make the tackle there's no one left to do it. So, Mr. Hartley has saved some TD's for us this year, and on others he's stopped returns from being even longer then they were. You know: the kicker being the last line of defense and all that.

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 01:50 AM
I hope Hartley isn't headed to Trey DiCarlo land.

silverwheels
10/14/2007, 01:54 AM
No reason that Murray shouldn't be returning punts. Reggie, God love him, should hit the sidelines on fourth down.

Maybe Murray can't field punts that well. That would be a reason why he shouldn't be returning punts. Or maybe the coaches don't want to get him injured.

ouwapiti
10/14/2007, 09:21 AM
looked like the hold was bad on the EP miss...hartleys body language appeared as if something was amiss...he also took a look at the holder as if to say WTF

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 09:24 AM
It's got to be tough once your having problems and then your holder makes a mistake and starts to make you think your gonna tank everytime.

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/14/2007, 09:52 AM
all 5 of them? it could very well cost us down the road. you have to take those freebies meh, this last one was the only one that was missed in a "close game" im pretty sure the other ones were missed when the team was already up 40+ points, and for those Stoops put it best saying something along the lines of "when you score 10 touchdowns, your kicker is going to get tired by the end of the game with all the kick offs and extra points" as far as yesterday goes, Hartley is injured and i think he is being bothered by it, but he will be fine, and keep in mind he did boot most of the Kickoffs out of the endzone... either way Hartley is the best PK in the nation, and will be fine.

tulsaoilerfan
10/14/2007, 10:22 AM
looked like the hold was bad on the EP miss...hartleys body language appeared as if something was amiss...he also took a look at the holder as if to say WTF
Evidently so as that's what i read on the Maisel article that was posted on here; it would have been nice if the talking heads on TV would have mentioned it or maybe even shown a replay, but i think they were too busy talking about Notre Dame to even notice it. :eek:

IronHorseSooner
10/14/2007, 10:43 AM
As a former kicker/ punter, part of his problem is that he is practicing kicking long field goals. This messes with timing and depth perception. If this is the case, then he should either stop practicing these long bombs and more on the fundamentals, or Coach Stoops should use him as a kick-off and long field goal guy and bring in Stevens or the other walk-on kicker to handle the PATs and field goals under 40 yards. Injuries like his don't affect kickers on long FGs and KOs, as well.

badger
10/14/2007, 08:39 PM
A fair question:

Why can Garrett make it from 70 yards but not seven?

trpltongue
10/15/2007, 07:38 AM
The missed EP, the holder mishandled it and caused the timing to be off. The second was blocked (line????). I think there are major problems with the holder this year. If you noticed, on the last EP when there was a false start, the ball was snapped and right as Hartley is going to kick the ball the holder picks it up a la Lucy and Hartley seems to injure himself.

Why would you pick up the ball? Let your kicker get a freebie. It seems to me that the holder is in lala land and needs to get his head in the game. Field goals and PAT's are all about timing and if your holder is not on the ball it throws something else in your mind to worry about beside the actual kick.

dolemitesooner
10/15/2007, 08:50 AM
Hartley is a ****ing hobbit.

jeremy885
10/15/2007, 09:14 AM

From what I heard on the radio from BBS and Merv, Stoops put the starts back on the kickoff team after the Missouri guy returned one for 60 yards. Why did we stop doing this?

Piware
10/15/2007, 09:16 AM

Chris Wilson coaches special teams. He was a LB with Joe Bowden during the Gibbs years.