PDA

View Full Version : Booth Reviews

Texas Golfer
10/13/2007, 09:45 PM
The Sooners were 0 for 4 in booth reviews tonight. It seems that the reviews haven't been kind to the Sooners over history. Does anyone know how to research the history of booth reviews involving the Sooners?

Sooner_Bob
10/13/2007, 09:46 PM
A quick assessment says we've lost more than we've won. :D

IronSooner
10/13/2007, 09:50 PM
I just expect that if they're going to review the call, the decision will be whatever hurts OU more.

The calls tonight weren't that bad overall really. Kelly's catch could go either way, but I do think Brown was not down and that TD should have counted.

Boomerbrad
10/13/2007, 09:50 PM
Let's put it this way...if we had the Sooner Replay Drinking Game where you took a drink anytime something positive for OU happens and another when it is overturned, none of us would be feelin' any pain. :D

bluedogok
10/13/2007, 09:51 PM
I am about ready to write off instant replay, it seems to rarely get the call right. Just dump the crap in all sports.

oufan1
10/13/2007, 09:58 PM
I am about ready to write off instant replay, it seems to rarely get the call right. Just dump the crap in all sports.
I agree get rid of it

Texas Golfer
10/13/2007, 10:00 PM
I thought the only one they got right was Inglesias's fumble. But there was no indisputable evidence that Brown's leg ever touched the ground and Kelly's reception that was stripped out of bounds looked like he had possession when he went out of bounds. Anything that happens afterwards in irrelevent.

sanantoniosooner
10/13/2007, 10:00 PM
Instant replay hasn't been kind to us, but it's the people, not the system.

It's not like we didn't ever get screwed before it existed.

Sooner47
10/13/2007, 10:02 PM
Instant replay in college football is a joke. They still miss about 50% of the calls and the time it takes to review plays is ridiculous. You could have gone to dinner and returned in plenty of time for the call on the first replay tonight. If that is the best the NCAA can do with instant replay, it should be junked.

sanantoniosooner
10/13/2007, 10:04 PM
67% of statistics are made up on the spot

OUWxGuesser
10/13/2007, 10:05 PM
What about the TD at the end of the game? Why wasn't that even looked at. That's what angered me the most (perhaps I missed something).

Texas Golfer
10/13/2007, 10:06 PM
Instant replay in college football is a joke. They still miss about 50% of the calls and the time it takes to review plays is ridiculous. You could have gone to dinner and returned in plenty of time for the call on the first replay tonight. If that is the best the NCAA can do with instant replay, it should be junked.

What makes it a joke is that the first review (Brown's TD) took almost five minutes to review. If it takes you almost five minutes to review it, you can't convince me that the evidence was indisputable.

bluedogok
10/13/2007, 10:06 PM
Instant replay hasn't been kind to us, but it's the people, not the system.

It's not like we didn't ever get screwed before it existed.
I agree it is the people, but it will never work without the people, that is why it is fundamentally flawed. I would rather just go back to bitching about bad calls instead of bad calls AND bad reviews. It has not worked as it should and has been in effect long enough that we should know how to do it. It just isn't worth the constant mistakes, let the humans on the field call the game, not the humans in the booth.

This also comes from someone who was a big proponent of replay when it was introduced but since it doesn't seems to be fixing any problems and only creating more, I say it isn't worth it.

Flying Scotsman
10/13/2007, 10:07 PM
According to Dean...calls are 84% against Oklahoma and 45% in favor of the opposition!

sanantoniosooner
10/13/2007, 10:09 PM
I have seen the system work well in games.

Our problem is a personal issue more than anything else.

bluedogok
10/13/2007, 10:15 PM
I watch football all day on 2 TV's and I have seen consistently bad reviews, even in games that I have no rooting interest in. I would just rather go back to one issue to gripe about.

lexsooner
10/13/2007, 10:17 PM
What about the TD at the end of the game? Why wasn't that even looked at. That's what angered me the most (perhaps I missed something).

Good question. I was wondering the same thing my self. Maybe they just wanted to go home. That lapse cost a lot of betting people money!

DrZaius
10/13/2007, 10:20 PM
boooth review tonight was not a good call on pour part. i would have loved to celebrate the td but he was down and it was a bad call.

tbl
10/13/2007, 10:20 PM
I agree get rid of it
In theory, I think replay is the only way to go... but for some reason it hasn't worked well at ALL in college. I never realized the level of refs was so much different in NCAA as compared to the NFL. I still like to think I support it, but being an OU fan it hasn't treated us well at all.

However, Iglesias definitely fumbled that kickoff.

sanantoniosooner
10/13/2007, 10:21 PM
I was fine with all the booth calls tonight, but that's just me.

lexsooner
10/13/2007, 10:22 PM

Then we would see a lot of bad calls on the field (unreviewable) go against us. If there was no instant replay review, the 2005 Tech pass in the end zone on their last drive that went right through the receiver's hands, and was called a td by the refs, would have stood as a td since the refs on the field were just so anxious to hand Tech the win.

tbl
10/13/2007, 10:24 PM
Then we would see a lot of bad calls on the field (unreviewable) go against us. If there was no instant replay review, the 2005 Tech pass in the end zone on their last drive that went right through the receiver's hands, and was called a td by the refs, would have stood as a td since the refs on the field were just so anxious to hand Tech the win.
We had replay and it still screwed us on that drive. Don't you remember the crawl into the endzone after he was down?

bluedogok
10/13/2007, 10:28 PM
In theory, I think replay is the only way to go... but for some reason it hasn't worked well at ALL in college. I never realized the level of refs was so much different in NCAA as compared to the NFL. I still like to think I support it, but being an OU fan it hasn't treated us well at all.
To give you n idea of how college refs rate, my wife used to officiate football, a Line Judge here in the Austin NASO chapter (http://www.naso.org/). She knows Randy Christal and John Bible who are both based here in Austin, they are considered among the top referees in the Big 12 by the conference ratings. Bible was an NFL official and was fired, went back to college. Christal was reviewed by the NFL and didn't get the call up. There is a big difference between the levels, both in terms of talent and money.

They didn't bother me much tonight, I could see how they could interpret most of them either way. It looked like Brown's calf may have been down. My comment is more just on replay in general instead of just tonight or even OU's experience with it this season.

lexsooner
10/13/2007, 10:30 PM
We had replay and it still screwed us on that drive. Don't you remember the crawl into the endzone after he was down?

Of course. The point is the bad td call on the pass play serves as an example of how the refs can sway things on the field in favor of one team. On that day we got it from both ends, so to speak, bad spot/td call on the field and bad review from the booth of the final Tech "td."

achiro
10/13/2007, 10:51 PM
The first fumble sure looked like Iglasius' knee was down before the ball came out. Nobody said a word about it and they didn't review it...why?

The touchdown at the end for mizzery, why didn't they even look at it?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

jccouger
10/13/2007, 10:52 PM
Because our coaches new the reviews wouldn't go our way either way. Waste of time.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/13/2007, 10:53 PM
The first fumble sure looked like Iglasius' knee was down before the ball came out. Nobody said a word about it and they didn't review it...why?

The touchdown at the end for mizzery, why didn't they even look at it?

I thought Iglacias' fumbler was definitely a fumble. I thought the other 2 early calls were correct too. Rucker was at least 1' maybe 2' short of the goal line and that should have been reversed.

sanantoniosooner
10/13/2007, 10:54 PM
merge

Turd_Ferguson
10/13/2007, 10:55 PM
yield

sanantoniosooner
10/13/2007, 10:56 PM
Right turn only

achiro
10/13/2007, 11:06 PM
merge
sad part is my subject is different and will get lost in this thread.:(

achiro
10/13/2007, 11:07 PM
I thought Iglacias' fumbler was definitely a fumble. I thought the other 2 early calls were correct too. Rucker was at least 1' maybe 2' short of the goal line and that should have been reversed.
I'm talking the first fumble, not the second one. The replay they showed, his knee was down.
He definitely fumbled on the kor.

goingoneight
10/13/2007, 11:21 PM
I agree get rid of it

Then you give way to blind screw jobs like the Stanbury interception. I'd rather have at least a 1% chance of exposing these crooked officials than no chance.

Miko
10/13/2007, 11:31 PM
My comment was that we are the buffalo bills of replays. But after further review, first down oregon. :rolleyes"

msteudem
10/13/2007, 11:34 PM
How can they reverse the call on the field if there is no conclusive evidence. They had how many reverse calls tonight? And most of all of them were not concusive evidence either way so... you can't reverse the call. So the rule of "it must be conclusive is a big joke." Point in case is the Iglesias catch toward the end of the Colorado game that was called a catch by two officials. The review looked like a catch and there was no way that there was conclusive evidence to overturn the call made on the field but lo and behold the old men up in the booth overturned it.

And that is another problem with the review system. Most of the guys that I have read about or seen working the review videos are all old guys. That is one of the reasons for it taking so long and the mistakes IMO. They need to make all of the officials including the review officials earn a Masters in Officiating or something because it is getting worse by the year, (and make them take eye examines).
The last TD at the end of tonight's game was a joke ala Texas Tech 2 years ago. I guess it doesn't really matter that they didn't reveiw it because they wouldn't have overturned it anyway based on how they had called it up to that point.

Texas Golfer
10/13/2007, 11:36 PM
They didn't bother me much tonight, I could see how they could interpret most of them either way. It looked like Brown's calf may have been down.

MAY have been down? That's my point. It was ruled on the field that it wasn't and the booth official, after reviewing it for almost five minutes, said it was indisputable that his calf was on the ground (although the ref said "knee"). Why would it take five minutes of reviews to say, without a doubt, that his calf touched the ground when there was much doubt after many reviews.

Texas Golfer
10/13/2007, 11:40 PM
I would still like to know our overall record in reviews. I just don't have the technological savvy to research this.

finster
10/13/2007, 11:43 PM
Don't matter, Kelly can't catch. Oregon's Ball.

bmrsnou
10/13/2007, 11:53 PM
I say if they aren't going to get the call right, then get rid of it. I can think of about four calls in the last two weeks that looked like big 12 instant replay officials got it wrong, and not all four calls were in our games. Also, I was at the game, and I could swear there was about 15-20 min. of downtime while waiting on the calls. I know the first review was about 7 min. C'mon, how many times do you need to look at one play? It is frustrating for the fans,players and coaches!

Also, does anyone know if John Bible is related to Dana Bible (the ex Whorn coach from years ago?)

mdklatt
10/13/2007, 11:58 PM
I know the first review was about 7 min.

Exactly. Even if a review goes your way on offense, the delay could completely kill your momentum. I've never been a fan of instant replay. It just gives them a second chance to screw up the call.

What would happen if the replay booth experienced a "power outage" during the aTm game?? :D

BornandBred
10/14/2007, 12:02 AM
They didn't bother me much tonight, I could see how they could interpret most of them either way. It looked like Brown's calf may have been down.

What you said, the "could go either way" thing... that is the definition of inconclusive. That means, by the way I understand the rule, to indicate that the ruling on the field should stand, no matter what the call. If you can't determine "conclusively" (without a doubt), you can't determine period = play stands. That is the simple thing they continually screw up in my eyes. If you can't tell for proof positive, it can't be used.

TUSooner
10/14/2007, 12:06 AM
Y'know, except for the time spent, the reviews were OK. They got the calls right...eventually

RacerX
10/14/2007, 12:16 AM
67% of statistics are made up on the spot

More like 68%, geez.

Texas Golfer
10/14/2007, 12:51 AM
I say if they aren't going to get the call right, then get rid of it. I can think of about four calls in the last two weeks that looked like big 12 instant replay officials got it wrong, and not all four calls were in our games. Also, I was at the game, and I could swear there was about 15-20 min. of downtime while waiting on the calls. I know the first review was about 7 min. C'mon, how many times do you need to look at one play? It is frustrating for the fans,players and coaches!

Also, does anyone know if John Bible is related to Dana Bible (the ex Whorn coach from years ago?)

And, if it takes that long to review the play, how can you reverse the decision on the field because you're already admitting that it isn't conclusive.

Aries
10/14/2007, 07:21 AM
MAY have been down? That's my point. It was ruled on the field that it wasn't and the booth official, after reviewing it for almost five minutes, said it was indisputable that his calf was on the ground (although the ref said "knee"). Why would it take five minutes of reviews to say, without a doubt, that his calf touched the ground when there was much doubt after many reviews.

What I thought was funny was the announcers (on TV). Before it was reversed, they were watching the replays and were like, "I dunno know, it looks like MAYBE his knee COULD have touched the ground, no I don't THINK it touched, but... but... it's really CLOSE! I can't tell...."

Then after it was reversed they were like, "Oh, yeah. It touched the ground. You can see it right there. Knew it all along."

:)

1890MilesToNorman
10/14/2007, 07:42 AM
Stoops needs to school his kids that the first TD is to cover blown calls by the replay refs. The calls last night didn't rob us of a win but they did in Oregon.

I wonder how much the Vegas odds makers adjust the spread, because of replay, when it comes to certain conferences or teams? If I had had money on last nights game with a 10.5 pt spread I think I would be a little upset (with the 2 missed EP's as well).

SoonerBOI
10/14/2007, 08:04 AM
If there's a review chances are it will be against us and will probably change the outcome of the game. Oregon and CU. It is great to be a Sooner though.

hookersooner
10/14/2007, 08:38 AM
Replay is good when common sence is used to get the call right according to the rules, but when a government like body is running the show, well it is like wiping before you poop.(Larry the Cable Guy)Just get it right and I will be happy with the call, on the feild and in the booth.

I think I am starting to feel like the Oakland Raiders fans do. They think the NFL is against them. Don't get the calls and get the calls overturned. It is like turning on the t.v. and saying want are you going to do us this week. Just the players play the game within the rules,don't help the less talented. It is a tough world out there the strong will survive. Go Sooners!

OU-HSV
10/14/2007, 09:59 AM
The Sooners were 0 for 4 in booth reviews tonight. It seems that the reviews haven't been kind to the Sooners over history. Does anyone know how to research the history of booth reviews involving the Sooners?
I was wondering this very thing. I think reviews have become a complete joke and waste of time. They miss the call on reviews week in and week out and it's annoying as hell to sit in the stands (or at home) and watch these jokes of officials and booth reviewers take 10 minutes and still get the wrong call. That being said...after getting home and watching the replay of Iggy's 2nd fumble....it was the right call, it was certainly a fumble. But the main thing is more often than not, reviews seem to go bad for us. And I've seen plenty of other college games where the wrong call is made. So unless they somehow improve the review system, I say get rid of it.
Edit: And what the heck is up with the refs screwing the game clock up like 4 times last night....and also the play clock wasn't getting started when it should have on Mizzou's last couple of drives

aero
10/14/2007, 10:14 AM
Screw instant replay. It certainly hasn't done us any favors but if we are relying on a favorable call with the refs or instant replay to win then there is a bigger problem and it is with our team. Every instance that we have lost a game where replay came into play, you can count 2 or more instances that we did or didn't do something that could have put us in position to win. We will truly have a good team when we are winning and replay reviews, no matter correct or incorrect, have no bearing on us winning.

soonersn2007
10/14/2007, 10:19 AM
Whether they get the calls right or not, it is peculiar how OU always can't get a break and get away with one.........or the reviewer upstairs blows the call.

I understand why Stoops feels snake bit by instant replay, but if they got rid of it, the pendulum would swing right back and smack us in the face. So to be on the safe side, let's just keep it and make sure poor ref's calls don't cost us games.

OU-HSV
10/14/2007, 10:39 AM
Whether they get the calls right or not, it is peculiar how OU always can't get a break and get away with one.........or the reviewer upstairs blows the call.

I understand why Stoops feels snake bit by instant replay, but if they got rid of it, the pendulum would swing right back and smack us in the face. So to be on the safe side, let's just keep it and make sure poor ref's calls don't cost us games.
I agree...play and coach better to win big and not have to worry about the refs calls. But the reality of it is that every team will have close games some time or another...and every team will have a time in which these reviews become a critical part of a game.
So I say until they get the graduates of the "School for the Blind" off the booth review payroll....we will get 1 out of 10 calls our way at best.

Ahamay17
10/14/2007, 10:50 AM
Why would it take five minutes of reviews to say, without a doubt, that his calf touched the ground when there was much doubt after many reviews.

Since the play was overturned, the review officials then also had to go back and look at angles to determine the spot of the ball...

bluedogok
10/14/2007, 07:22 PM
What you said, the "could go either way" thing... that is the definition of inconclusive. That means, by the way I understand the rule, to indicate that the ruling on the field should stand, no matter what the call. If you can't determine "conclusively" (without a doubt), you can't determine period = play stands. That is the simple thing they continually screw up in my eyes. If you can't tell for proof positive, it can't be used.
I know, I am just stating that in their eyes I can see why they would overturn a call. I just expect it to go the wrong way given any shred of possible evidence. Being conclusive or not doesn't seem to be a requirement in the college review system.

Didn't seem to work in the Tech game two years ago or Oregon last year. Those screwed up calls AND reviews ID cost games, why do you hold it up as the model of clarity when it has been shown to be anything but that model?

Sooner_Havok
10/14/2007, 07:46 PM
As I said before, I am fine with them reversing every call that might help us, but they could at least review a few plays for us, instead of making us use our one coaches challenge, while automatically reviewing plays for the other team.

If I were a betting man, I would say this all comes down to the letter Bob filed after the TTech game two years ago. He called them ALL out, not just that one group. It is like that kid up in Missouri that got that cop fired for threatening him, you get one official in trouble, the rest of the brother hood insure that you can't lead a normal life. :(

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 07:51 PM
Since the Coach's only get one....there's really no reason to have it IMO.

They ought to allow them one during each half and up to three within the 2:00 mark under certain conditions.

I could stand corrected on this as the way the rules are written on replay...you'd have to back check the whole rulebook if you made changes like that.

r5TPsooner
10/14/2007, 08:07 PM
Exactly. Even if a review goes your way on offense, the delay could completely kill your momentum. I've never been a fan of instant replay. It just gives them a second chance to screw up the call.

What would happen if the replay booth experienced a "power outage" during the aTm game?? :D

There was almost a riot in my section during the seven minute review. One guy yelled out "Just screw us already and get it over with already." That received quite the laugh in section 102. They blew the call on the Brown TD as there was no indisputable evidence that his knee he was down.

The last Missouri TD was a joke and if the roles had been reversed and OU was scoring that TD... the ****ing zebras would have reviewed it until they saw it Mizzouri's way!

Partial Qualifier
10/14/2007, 08:15 PM

I was wondering if anyone else noticed that :mad: ... he was down

trpltongue
10/15/2007, 07:30 AM
Regardless of the outcome of all the reviews, what I can't understand is why any close call on the field that was in OU's favor was automatically reviewed by the officials, yet none of the close calls in Mizzou's favor were reviewed. Their last TD (no way was he in), the fumble that Daniels had that went squirting out of bounds (looked like we grabbed it before it went out), the Iglesias fumble (first one, his knee looked down). They should have at least been reviewed.

If they're going to stop play to review a 15yd pass play on the sidelines to Malcolm, they damn sure ought to review a fumble that OU recovered near the sideline; or a fumble that occured as the player was being tackled, or a TD that was not even quickly called on the field.

I just don't understand why every time OU received the favorable call on the field, the play was automatically reviewed.