PDA

View Full Version : Homey or other military history people..

Frozen Sooner
10/13/2007, 11:49 AM
I got curious last night about why certain military words are pronounced the way they were. Check me if I'm wrong on these, 'cause most of them have bugged me....

1. Colonel. Comes from the Latin collonel meaning one who commands a column through the French coronel. Reverted to a Latin-type spelling while retaining French pronunciation. Eventually the second syllable was dropped.

2. Corps. Again, Latin from the French.

3. Lieutenant/Leftenant. Lieutenant is literally one who is in lieu of the tenant-that is, the person who stands in for the normal holder of an office. The British use the term Leftenant for the person two slots below the commander to distinguish from the LC.

Correct? No?

Okla-homey
10/13/2007, 06:13 PM
pretty accurate. Many American military customary terms involved from the French, if indirectly thru Britain.

colonel, captain and lieutenant evolved from Norman French in the wake of William the Conqueror's conquest of England cinched in 1066. William and his heirs kept French as the language of the royal court for hundreds of years. Thus, things like English military ranks which solidified in the 14th c. were influenced by the French language.

Also, Some French influence is due to the fact we got so much hardware from the French during the Revy War. FWIW, the first US musket produced by the infant, independent US was almost a dead-on copy of the French "Charleville" .69 caliber smoothbore flintlock supplied to us after 1778.

Later, the notion of divisions being comprised of two or more brigades, which in turn are comprised of two or more regiments is pure Napolean. Napolean also invented the corps, comprised of two or more divisions.

Also, during the ACW, when a great deal of US doctrine got set, the French were still considered pretty much the top of the heap. That's why the quintessential Civil War headgear known as the kepi became the rage on these shores, despite the fact it offered absolutely no advantage over the Army or "Hardee hat" which was a tall black felt affair with a wide brim to protect the wearer from sun and rain. We also had a lot of zouave outfits on both sides in tribute to the hard fighting French-Morrocan troops.

We also adapted most of our Civil War artillery doctrine from the French, hence the name for the bronze smoothbore 12lb gun howitzer called the 'Napolean" -- extremely popular on both sides.

It has been documented Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, probably the best corps commander on either side, carried two books in his saddlebags. The Holy Bible and Napolean's Maxims on War.

Chuck Bao
10/14/2007, 01:59 AM
Yeah that and George Washington had a total full on man crush on his aide de camp.

Okla-homey
10/14/2007, 10:56 AM
Yeah that and George Washington had a total full on man crush on his aide de camp.

Alexander Hamilton?:eek:

SoonerTerry
10/14/2007, 11:02 AM
Okla-homey.. your brain must be Ginormus

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 11:17 AM
Okla-homey.. your brain must be Ginormus
Heh.

http://gertler.com/bgg/13may07/Photo%202.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
10/14/2007, 12:18 PM
Okla-homey.. your brain must be GinormusNaw, he's just got one of those new fangled computer thingies.:D
http://pcdataworks.com/images/OldNetwork01.jpg

47straight
10/14/2007, 03:08 PM
If Ben Stein is unavailable, I'm using Homey for my phone-a-friend.

TUSooner
10/14/2007, 06:03 PM
pretty accurate. Many American military customary terms involved from the French, if indirectly thru Britain.

colonel, captain and lieutenant evolved from Norman French in the wake of William the Conqueror's conquest of England cinched in 1066. William and his heirs kept French as the language of the royal court for hundreds of years. Thus, things like English military ranks which solidified in the 14th c. were influenced by the French language.

Also, Some French influence is due to the fact we got so much hardware from the French during the Revy War. FWIW, the first US musket produced by the infant, independent US was almost a dead-on copy of the French "Charleville" .69 caliber smoothbore flintlock supplied to us after 1778.

Later, the notion of divisions being comprised of two or more brigades, which in turn are comprised of two or more regiments is pure Napolean. Napolean also invented the corps, comprised of two or more divisions.

Also, during the ACW, when a great deal of US doctrine got set, the French were still considered pretty much the top of the heap. That's why the quintessential Civil War headgear known as the kepi became the rage on these shores, despite the fact it offered absolutely no advantage over the Army or "Hardee hat" which was a tall black felt affair with a wide brim to protect the wearer from sun and rain. We also had a lot of zouave outfits on both sides in tribute to the hard fighting French-Morrocan troops.

We also adapted most of our Civil War artillery doctrine from the French, hence the name for the bronze smoothbore 12lb gun howitzer called the 'Napolean" -- extremely popular on both sides.

It has been documented Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, probably the best corps commander on either side, carried two books in his saddlebags. The Holy Bible and Napolean's Maxims on War.
Didn't lots of that French stuff get broader usage during the wars of Louis 14?

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 07:01 PM
I'd like to bring up another topic and my intent isn't to jack Homey's thread either.

It's abOUt the U.S. Flag at Memorial Stadium last night.

It took a real beating. I'm not sure what the cost of replacing a flag that big is but I hope it can at least be repaired.

My question is...Can it be repaired since it got hung up on the stadium light pole?

I know repairs can be made under certain circumstances.

If a flag is torn, it can be repaired, preferably by a professional or someone skilled in mending. If it is dirty, it can be washed, preferably by hand with a mild soap. If it is faded or tattered beyond repair, or dirty beyond cleaning, then it is time to replace the flag.

Your thoughts?

Frozen Sooner
10/14/2007, 07:40 PM
Homey's thread? I started it! :D

Okla-homey
10/14/2007, 07:47 PM
I'd like to bring up another topic and my intent isn't to jack Homey's thread either.

It's abOUt the U.S. Flag at Memorial Stadium last night.

It took a real beating. I'm not sure what the cost of replacing a flag that big is but I hope it can at least be repaired.

My question is...Can it be repaired since it got hung up on the stadium light pole?

I know repairs can be made under certain circumstances.

Your thoughts?

It's okay to repair US flags. It's even okay to launder them when they get dirty. Only when their overall appearance becomes irreparable should they be respectfully destroyed. Preferably by burning, and not with other garbage.

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 08:48 PM
That Old Glory at Memorial Stadium will make quite a fire.

Lets hope they can repair it.