PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Ski Trip

Cam
10/13/2007, 10:18 AM
This year it's Steamboat Springs, Co. Anybody been there before? If so, what are the pro's and con's?

King Crimson
10/13/2007, 10:52 AM
i've been there a bunch in the summer. skiing a few times. a friend of mine had a place there, her family was loaded. it's a nice town, probably grown a lot since i was there but not as ski-industry slick as Summit County. more like Crested Butte since it's harder to get to. the Gore Range is a pretty rugged area of the Rockies, i know from some summer camping/mountaineering in the 90's. really beautiful.

rabbit ears pass was a b*tch in bad weather a couple times for us. think Monarch pass if that means anything to anyone.

i liked Steamboat a lot the times i was there.

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 01:33 AM
I haven't been there in years but the times I spent there were memorable.

Howzit
10/14/2007, 01:39 AM
Been there, but it's been a while. My memory is that the biggest downfall was that the slopes/hotels were so far from the actual town. But they did have a pretty good transportation system (i.e. bus line) that ran from the slopes into town.

The actual skiing was really good. It is a little farther north than many of the other Colrado resorts, so it can be a little colder.

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 08:38 AM
Howzit is correct.

If you get weather there while your skiing...

I'd make sure you have some heavy snow gear for sking in the thick stuff.

Some nice goggles would be a must....a hockey mask could help too.