PDA

View Full Version : Jason Whitlock on the OU MO game

milesl
10/12/2007, 10:48 PM
To win at Oklahoma, the Tigers need a heady, team effort
By JASON WHITLOCK

Chase Daniel, as good as he is, can’t beat Oklahoma by himself.

Missouri tried that last year. Remember? The Tigers fell behind 14-3 just seconds into the second quarter, and their offensive game plan turned into a desperate, one-man attack — Chase left, Chase right, Chase back to pass running for his life.

The game got away from the Tigers. Daniel got exhausted, lost confidence, tossed three interceptions, and the Tigers lost their swagger and composure.

On a day when Daniel threw or ran the ball on 64 of Missouri’s 73 offensive plays, Oklahoma won 26-10 and sent Missouri into a three-game tailspin that ended in an embarrassing Iowa State loss that Gary Pinkel refuses to acknowledge.

My point is that Daniel, the Big 12’s best player, is going to need some help this Saturday in Norman. Also, I’m pointing out that the Sooners are the kind of team that can beat you two or three times, especially when the game is being hyped as the “game of the year” or “game of the decade.”

Games such as the one we’re about to witness linger. If not handled properly, they can tear down confidence or build a deadly arrogance.

That’s why it will be important for Pinkel and his coaching staff to get everyone involved offensively while still putting the ball in Daniel’s hands enough times to win the game. It’s a difficult balancing act, one that the Tigers’ coaching staff mishandled during Brad Smith’s reign.

Tony Temple, if he’s healthy, and the running backs can’t be spectators on Saturday. It would be foolish to allow Bob Stoops and Brent Venables to zero in on Daniel. No matter what, the Sooners are going to get in their licks on Daniel. They’re going to be in his face and take every legal (and borderline illegal) opportunity to hit him.

Temple and Co. must provide Daniel with the threat of a running game. Missouri is going to need play-action passing to slow Oklahoma’s rush to Daniel.

Give Daniel time to throw, and there’s no doubt he has the personnel for MU to score 30-plus points on Oklahoma. Martin Rucker, Chase Coffman, Jeremy Maclin, William Franklin, Tommy Saunders and Danario Alexander can all make spectacular plays.

I’m equally convinced that if Daniel is under constant duress, he’ll throw high and the Sooners will pick him off.

Sustaining the momentum that the Tigers, 5-0, have built is more difficult than a typical fan can imagine. Coaches are fond of saying that “you haven’t arrived until you get there.”

It’s nice to be ranked No. 11 in the country, be in control of the Big 12 North and have a Heisman Trophy candidate at quarterback. But it doesn’t really mean anything until December and January. You can’t arrive in October. The party doesn’t start until after Thanksgiving.

Clobbering Nebraska was wonderful — an important step on the way to “arrival.” Competing against a legitimate, current powerhouse on the road is another crucial step for the Tigers.

Yes, I think the Tigers can win this game. For the first time in forever, they’ll take the field with as many offensive playmakers as the Sooners. But they’re probably going to have to win a shootout. Oklahoma is going to move the ball and score. Missouri’s defense is still suspect.

The Tigers’ best shot at slowing Oklahoma would be with an offensive attack that somewhat controls the ball. It’s hard to play track-meet football on the road without dropping the baton a few times. The crowd noise and enormity of the game will create a few nervous mistakes. The Sooners have played in more of these games than the Tigers. Mizzou, especially early, needs to slow it down.

It will be interesting to see how the Tigers handle a momentum swing, a big play on special teams. At least Maclin gives the Tigers a chance at matching Oklahoma in the return game.

OK, I’m not going to make a prediction — other than it’s difficult for me to imagine the Tigers getting blown out.

sooner518
10/12/2007, 11:20 PM
who in the hell is calling this the "game of the decade"?

Ground_Attack
10/12/2007, 11:22 PM

That's what I'm wondering. I've been referring to it as "that game against Mizzou on Saturday evening."

Miko
10/12/2007, 11:29 PM
Well, I have started calling it our game of the week. Previously I called it the game after texas.

the_edge
10/12/2007, 11:37 PM

It's the game of the decade for Missouri. Hell, it might be the most important game of the past 30 years for them.

Miko
10/12/2007, 11:40 PM
I'm guessing it is the second most important game in the school's storied history, behind having the honor of being the 47th team in a row to lose to Bud.

boomersooner28
10/12/2007, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE]My point is that Daniel, the Big 12’s best player[\QUOTE]

I stopped reading right there.

pffffft :rolleyes:

Jello Biafra
10/13/2007, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE]My point is that Daniel, the Big 12’s best player[\QUOTE]

pffffft :rolleyes:

yup...same here.....

tulsaoilerfan
10/13/2007, 12:22 AM
Best QB maybe, but not the best overall player

Jello Biafra
10/13/2007, 12:31 AM
Best QB maybe, but not the best overall player
couldn't be it. he's not even the best qb in the big XII north.

Crucifax Autumn
10/13/2007, 12:55 AM
His mouth is the best Kleenex though...

Big Red Ron
10/13/2007, 01:10 AM
Jason is fatter than fat bastard. rilly

Big Red Ron
10/13/2007, 01:12 AM
[quote]My point is that Daniel, the Big 12’s best player[\QUOTE]

pffffft :rolleyes:OU has a better Qb.............keep sniffin dude.

Zing
10/13/2007, 01:17 AM
[quote=boomersooner28]OU has a better Qb.............keep sniffin dude.

2 of 'em. In fact, doesn't that put Daniel somewhere around 6th on OSU's depth chart?

Crucifax Autumn
10/13/2007, 01:28 AM
2 of 'em. In fact, doesn't that put Daniel somewhere around 6th on OSU's depth chart?

Only 2? I think all of ours are better, just not at playing running back. We have 5 or so other guys to handle that part.

DocNice
10/13/2007, 01:35 AM
[quote=boomersooner28]OU has a better Qb.............keep sniffin dude.

Okay dokey then.

Just scroll down and look for second team all american. Although you're right. Daniel is not the Big 12's best player. That's Martin Rucker. Who does he play for again?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/midseason.all.americans/index.html

Crucifax Autumn
10/13/2007, 01:47 AM
I think, last I looked, he's playing for a pretty good team that's gonna suffer its first loss tomorrow. And I also think Rucker's gonna look like a chump tomorrow.

Jello Biafra
10/13/2007, 01:47 AM
[QUOTE=Big Red Ron]

Okay dokey then.

Just scroll down and look for second team all american. Although you're right. Daniel is not the Big 12's best player. That's Martin Rucker. Who does he play for again?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/midseason.all.americans/index.html

dear dickinice,

who, pray tell, are these people you keep talking about? i've never heard of them.....

sincerely,

doubtful sooner fans.

ps. you have to remember, we HAVE heard a few people claim they would walk into norman and secure the heisman trophy.

Owen field

the location where heisman trophy hopes go to die.

Crucifax Autumn
10/13/2007, 01:52 AM
As always...Great slam Jello.

Makes me think of a certain old DK song that mentions the "star QB" that I won't elaborate on here due to some attitudes about finding humor in such things.

Anyway...Game's over, let's go get wasted man...

Jello Biafra
10/13/2007, 02:02 AM
by the way, you seem to know absolutely nothing bout football scrotemeister.

having the ncaa leading tight end tells me a few things.....

1. chase has the time to locate his 3rd and 4th option. (won't happen tomorrow night)
2. his first, second, and third options can't seem to get open very often.
3. you have been playing very weak defenses
4. you can't rush the ball (good luck with that)
4a. you fuggin kidding me? isu and western meatchicken combined for 4 picks on him? we should have a field day.
5. sports ill.....knows less about football than you.

Jello Biafra
10/13/2007, 02:03 AM
As always...Great slam Jello.

Makes me think of a certain old DK song that mentions the "star QB" that I won't elaborate on here due to some attitudes about finding humor in such things.

Anyway...Game's over, let's go get wasted man...

indeed. till tomorrynight......later ;)

Crucifax Autumn
10/13/2007, 02:10 AM
Peace man...happy dreams

stoopified
10/13/2007, 10:30 AM
It's the game of the decade for Missouri. Hell, it might be the most important game of the past 30 years for them.
Exactly

Cam
10/13/2007, 10:37 AM
[QUOTE=Big Red Ron]

Okay dokey then.

Who?

KaiserSooner
10/13/2007, 11:09 AM
Jason is fatter than fat bastard. rilly

Whitlock and Mangino in a head to head eating contest would be kinda like that Arkansas/Ole Miss game a few years back, when they went into something like 8 OTs.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/13/2007, 11:51 AM
I'm guessing it is the second most important game in the school's storied history, behind having the honor of being the 47th team in a row to lose to Bud.Excellent choice as Missouri's most important game.

BoomerGirl34
10/13/2007, 11:55 AM
No matter what, the Sooners are going to get in their licks on Daniel. They’re going to be in his face and take every legal (and borderline illegal) opportunity to hit him.

WTF?

milesl
10/13/2007, 03:50 PM
Whitlock and Mangino in a head to head eating contest would be kinda like that Arkansas/Ole Miss game a few years back, when they went into something like 8 OTs.
The funny thing is a few years ago Whitlock gave Mangino a hard time in his column for being so overweight.
milesl
/still love both those fat guys