PDA

View Full Version : Al Gorilla awarded Nobel Peace Prize.

SoonerStormchaser
10/12/2007, 08:19 AM
The world has officially ended ladies and gentlemen...cause this means that Bono will win it next year!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/12/nobel.gore/index.html

proud gonzo
10/12/2007, 08:24 AM
well, Bono HAS been nominated three times.

Okla-homey
10/12/2007, 08:40 AM
Do all the awardess who share "Al and Co.'s" Nobel get $1.5M or do the 50 d00ds on the IPCC have to share 1.5M?

yermom
10/12/2007, 08:48 AM
what does global warming have to do with a "peace" prize?

Okla-homey
10/12/2007, 08:54 AM

Nothing. But it avails the Swedes an opportunity to poke a stick at the USA.

StoopTroup
10/12/2007, 09:16 AM
We are truely a Global Leader now.

sooner n houston
10/12/2007, 09:37 AM
Yet another Nobel to be laughed at hardily by future generations! :D

Chuck Bao
10/12/2007, 09:55 AM
Al Gore deserves this damn Peace Prize and you might as well get over it.

Maybe the Nobel committee is a bit forward looking here. Imagine a future with global temperatures continuing to rise, food shortages ensue. We'd have global food riots. Mass hysteria. Dogs sleeping with cats. The worst of the Old Testament. Pestilence. Grasshoppers everywhere. Dust bowl days, for sure. The four horsemen of the Domers running around claiming national championships, left and right.

**** yeah, Give Al Gore his prize.

Jeopardude
10/12/2007, 09:55 AM
Nothing. But it avails the Swedes an opportunity to poke a stick at the USA.

Yes. The best way to poke a stick at the USA is to award the prize to an American.

:rolleyes:

jeremy885
10/12/2007, 10:13 AM
He did invent the internet. That has to be worth something ;)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/12/2007, 11:09 AM
He can now join Jimmy Carter among distinguished Nobel recipients. I don't think he will make a serious run for president, again. He can do more to the country as a member of the Clinton team, while not having to watch his back!

Shaz-Bot
10/12/2007, 11:10 AM
I read that it awarded to him due to his exhaustive search for the elusive ManBearPig.

I captured this screenshot from his acceptance speech this morning on CNN. Super serial, guys.

http://www.sfphblog.com/serendipity/uploads/manbearpig.jpg

Shaz-Bot

Widescreen
10/12/2007, 11:21 AM
He can now join Jimmy Carter among distinguished Nobel recipients. I don't think he will make a serious run for president, again. He can do more for the country as a member of the Clinton team!
Don't forget about this guy. That Nobel is one classy award. Peaceful terrorists. Heh.

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1994/arafat.jpg

KABOOKIE
10/12/2007, 11:30 AM
Future Nobel Peace prize winners:

2008: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
2009: Michael Moore

jdsooner
10/12/2007, 11:45 AM
Congrats to Gore. He deserves this and would have made a much better president than the lame brain from Texas.

Widescreen
10/12/2007, 11:47 AM
Congrats to Gore. He deserves this and would have made a much better president than the lame brain from Texas.
Heh.

Edit: Wait, were you serious?

KABOOKIE
10/12/2007, 12:02 PM

President of Fantasyland maybe.

KC//CRIMSON
10/12/2007, 12:42 PM
This is blasphemy. The iPod "Touch" should have won this award.

badger
10/12/2007, 01:10 PM
Ok, so Al Gore flies the world in his pollutant jet telling people to stop flying in pollutant jets and other gas guzzling modes of transportation because it causes global warming.

Isn't THAT an inconvenient truth, Mr. Gore!

If you have a lot of time to kill today, I recommend getting a laugh here (http://www.cagle.com/news/GoreOscar/main.asp). Just replace the academy award with a nobel prize and you've got yourself another set of fresh jokes!

Kind of like you replace "acclaimed scientists who have said the same thing for years" with "Al Gore" and now you have a Nobel winner :rolleyes:

85Sooner
10/12/2007, 01:19 PM
Al Gore deserves this damn Peace Prize and you might as well get over it.

Maybe the Nobel committee is a bit forward looking here. Imagine a future with global temperatures continuing to rise, food shortages ensue. We'd have global food riots. Mass hysteria. Dogs sleeping with cats. The worst of the Old Testament. Pestilence. Grasshoppers everywhere. Dust bowl days, for sure. The four horsemen of the Domers running around claiming national championships, left and right.

**** yeah, Give Al Gore his prize.

aND SHOVE IT UP HIS a$$

Okla-homey
10/12/2007, 01:57 PM
Yes. The best way to poke a stick at the USA is to award the prize to an American.

:rolleyes:

c'mon...them Swedes are sneaky. They even managed to stay out of WWII while their Scandhoovian cousins the Danes, Norwegians and Finns were being worn by Hitler like galoshes.

Seriously, they are sophisticated enough to know giving Al this embarrasses the White House and the elephants. At least a little. Of course, the elephants can get over it by sitting back and enjoying the memories of Al's passionless concession speech.

Oh, and those photo's of bearded Fat Al in the brown suit. Those are comedy gold.

Look, I'm not sure whether GW is a fact or not. I don't think anyone else is either. That said, I'm kinda a "belt and suspenders" kinda guy on whether Earth remains habitable. Therefore, I'm all for reducing use of carbon fuels. That, and less gas burned means less dependence on foreign oil.

That's all I got to say about that.

OCUDad
10/12/2007, 03:54 PM
aND SHOVE IT UP HIS a$$No Peace Prize for you...

Jeopardude
10/12/2007, 03:56 PM
c'mon...them Swedes are sneaky. They even managed to stay out of WWII while their Scandhoovian cousins the Danes, Norwegians and Finns were being worn by Hitler like galoshes.

Seriously, they are sophisticated enough to know giving Al this embarrasses the White House and the elephants. At least a little. Of course, the elephants can get over it by sitting back and enjoying the memories of Al's passionless concession speech.

Oh, and those photo's of bearded Fat Al in the brown suit. Those are comedy gold.

Look, I'm not sure whether GW is a fact or not. I don't think anyone else is either. That said, I'm kinda a "belt and suspenders" kinda guy on whether Earth remains habitable. Therefore, I'm all for reducing use of carbon fuels. That, and less gas burned means less dependence on foreign oil.

That's all I got to say about that.

Yes! Al Gore is fat! And he flies in planes! Heretic!

10/12/2007, 04:24 PM
Yes. The best way to poke a stick at the USA is to award the prize to an leftist American.

:rolleyes:They did it with Carter, and dog knows what they were thinking when they awarded one to Yasir Arafet(sp...who cares?)

SoonerTerry
10/12/2007, 04:28 PM
I'd like to take Al Bore out behind the woodshed

Jeopardude
10/12/2007, 04:47 PM
They did it with Carter, and dog knows what they were thinking when they awarded one to Yasir Arafet(sp...who cares?)

Usually Yasser Arafat, but since it's phonetic, who cares?

And oh yeah, Arafat was a co-winner with Yatzhik Rabin and Shimon Peres after signing the 1993 Oslo Accords, the first face-to-face negotiation and agreement between Israel and Palestine ever. Arafat was a bastard, but things were looking up at that moment.

Here's (http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1973/index.html) my favorite Nobel Peace Prize winner.

OCUDad
10/12/2007, 04:51 PM
Actually, it's Yitzhak, but who cares? :D

Jerk
10/12/2007, 05:50 PM
Liberals giving liberals awards.

Who cares.

Widescreen
10/12/2007, 05:52 PM
Kind of like the Oscars and Emmys.

Jerk
10/12/2007, 05:56 PM
Kind of like the Oscars and Emmys.

Yep. A waste of fookin time.

Vaevictis
10/12/2007, 06:50 PM

If you accept that global warming is real, and that changing weather patterns and rising sea levels are a consequence, it has everything to do with peace.

What happens when Mumbai, Calcutta, Chenai are underwater? You think New Orleans was bad? New Orleans was just a few hundred thousand people. We're talking 50 million people between those cities. Pakistan also has Karachi, so add another 15 million displaced people in the region, for a total of 65 million displaced people between India and Pakistan.

If you accept those assumptions, global warming is going to be a massively destabilizing force in a region where we have two countries that love to fight, have been to war three times in the past century, and have been rattling sabers at each other for the rest of it. Two countries that have just gone nuclear.

What about all the other people displaced by cities that will be consumed by the ocean? Huge destabilization globally.

That doesn't include all the agricultural economies that may simply disappear with the (theoretically) changing weather patterns. What do you think those people are going to do? Just starve? Or do you think they're going to migrate somewhere where they can make a living? Remember the Okies that went to California and all the hostility they received? They at least were Americans and had the legal right to go there -- what happens in places where people are constrained by international borders?

Again, if you accept the premise and projections, it has absolutely everything to do with peace.

85Sooner
10/12/2007, 07:36 PM
I remember a story about the boy who cried wolf. In the end how did it go???? I didn't think they gave the kid award. Course that was before liberal elitist thinking. My My how times are changing.

Harry Beanbag
10/13/2007, 02:23 AM
If you accept that global warming is real, and that changing weather patterns and rising sea levels are a consequence, it has everything to do with peace.

What happens when Mumbai, Calcutta, Chenai are underwater? You think New Orleans was bad? New Orleans was just a few hundred thousand people. We're talking 50 million people between those cities. Pakistan also has Karachi, so add another 15 million displaced people in the region, for a total of 65 million displaced people between India and Pakistan.

If you accept those assumptions, global warming is going to be a massively destabilizing force in a region where we have two countries that love to fight, have been to war three times in the past century, and have been rattling sabers at each other for the rest of it. Two countries that have just gone nuclear.

What about all the other people displaced by cities that will be consumed by the ocean? Huge destabilization globally.

That doesn't include all the agricultural economies that may simply disappear with the (theoretically) changing weather patterns. What do you think those people are going to do? Just starve? Or do you think they're going to migrate somewhere where they can make a living? Remember the Okies that went to California and all the hostility they received? They at least were Americans and had the legal right to go there -- what happens in places where people are constrained by international borders?

Again, if you accept the premise and projections, it has absolutely everything to do with peace.

That's a massive stretch considering he hasn't done anything to stop it from happening. Talk is cheap, as is the Nobel Peace Prize apparently.

Chuck Bao
10/13/2007, 04:37 AM
You've proved that point, Harry. Talk is indeed cheap. ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
10/13/2007, 08:09 AM
I know the Europeans are all liberal and stuff, but whatthe hell does a false climate movie have to do with world peace, world peas maybe? This only goes to show everyone what a hack prize the NPP is. A joke, and been a joke since Carter won it...

10/13/2007, 09:41 AM
I know the Europeans are all liberal and stuff, but whatthe hell does a false climate movie have to do with world peace, world peas maybe? This only goes to show everyone what a hack prize the NPP is. A joke, and been a joke since Carter won it...Since Carter was VERY instrumental in the rise of the modern Islamist movement, he shoulda got the anti-peace booby prize from those folks at Nobel.

VeeJay
10/13/2007, 11:23 AM
No Big Time Lefty's political career is complete without a Nobel.

Vaevictis
10/13/2007, 12:37 PM
That's a massive stretch considering he hasn't done anything to stop it from happening. Talk is cheap, as is the Nobel Peace Prize apparently.

It wasn't just Gore who won it, it was a bunch of people who trying to raising the alarm, including Al Gore.

And that is doing something to stop it. It ain't gonna stop if people aren't aware (or don't believe) it's happening.

Vaevictis
10/13/2007, 12:42 PM
And all that said, do I believe that Al Gore, et al, deserve the Nobel Peace Prize? If so, it must have been a weak, weak year for candidates.

But again, if you believe in the various premises and predictions surrounding global warming -- and clearly the committee does -- the issue has a lot to do with peace.

1stTimeCaller
10/13/2007, 01:12 PM
I don't know. The topic of GW sure seems to get folks all riled up on this site. Both sides.

10/13/2007, 01:47 PM
I don't know. The topic of GW sure seems to get folks all riled up on this site. Both sides.It's the prospect of a massive increase in Big Brotherism that catches the attention of those on the right.

Vaevictis
10/13/2007, 02:49 PM
It's the prospect of a massive increase in Big Brotherism that catches the attention of those on the right.

I doubt it has anything to do with Big Brotherism. I just don't hear a whole lot of ranting on the right about the Big Brotherism inherent in a lot of the "anti-terrorism" stuff the government is doing.

Jerk
10/13/2007, 03:14 PM
I doubt it has anything to do with Big Brotherism. I just don't hear a whole lot of ranting on the right about the Big Brotherism inherent in a lot of the "anti-terrorism" stuff the government is doing.

Yeah, not being able to call up Akmed in Pakistan and discuss our latest plot to blow stuff up and kill people without the FBI listening is really annoying/

10/13/2007, 03:29 PM
I doubt it has anything to do with Big Brotherism. I just don't hear a whole lot of ranting on the right about the Big Brotherism inherent in a lot of the "anti-terrorism" stuff the government is doing.Perhaps because the right views national defense as a valid function of government.

Big Red Ron
10/13/2007, 04:05 PM
Don't forget about this guy. That Nobel is one classy award. Peaceful terrorists. Heh.

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1994/arafat.jpgExactly sums up my feelings about the Nobel "Peace" prize.

SouthCarolinaSooner
10/14/2007, 12:03 AM
Ah, yes. And maybe next year Barry Bonds will win the MLB sportsmanship award, joined by TO winning the NFL sportsmanship award and Allen Iverson winning it in the NBA, barely beating out Latrell Spreewell. Anyway what are we talking about here? Practice?

SouthCarolinaSooner
10/14/2007, 12:10 AM
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/New-Lexington/psycho.jpg

Vaevictis
10/14/2007, 12:25 AM
Perhaps because the right views national defense as a valid function of government.

More like the right views the Constitution as little more than something to wipe its *** with.

You want war powers? Declare war.

10/14/2007, 12:44 AM
More like the right views the Constitution as little more than something to wipe its *** with.

You want war powers? Declare war.Oh yeah, convincing argument.

SCOUT
10/14/2007, 01:14 AM

You want war powers? Declare war.
I don't think it is necessary to declare war on a country that is in breach of a cease fire agreement. Military action was a term of that agreement.

I also think the left should be careful using the Constitution as a tool against the right. They haven't exactly followed the exact terms on several major politcal topics. The "right to privacy" and "freedom of choice" come to mind. I would also love to see where the Constitution mentions a separation of church and state.

def_lazer_fc
10/14/2007, 01:20 AM
I also think the left should be careful using the Constitution as a tool against the right. They haven't exactly followed the exact terms on several major politcal topics. The "right to privacy" and "freedom of choice" come to mind. I would also love to see where the Constitution mentions a separation of church and state.

you're right. lets all quit dicking around and replace the constitution with the bible already. jeez! ;)

SCOUT
10/14/2007, 01:39 AM
you're right. lets all quit dicking around and replace the constitution with the bible already. jeez! ;)

I am pretty sure that is not in the constitution either. What exactly is your point?

Chuck Bao
10/14/2007, 01:42 AM
Go ahead and have your fun.

Al Gore did deserve this.

I know that it pains some of you so much to think about it.

No, not all of the recipients deserved the Peace Prize in hindsight.

But, that's part of the beauty of it. It can be used to reinforce peaceful resolutions of conflicts.

You can denigrate it all you want. My favorite Nobel laureate - Aung San Suu Kyi - remains a model of passive resistance against a very brutal and ruthless military regime.

If you aren't happy with the Nobel committee's selection, start your own peace prize called...oh, I don't know...the Top Gun peace prize or the Ultimate Fighting Country peace award.

Jerk
10/14/2007, 07:26 AM

umm, no, it's not painful at all. It's just that beyond us finding it amusing, we just don't care. You see my friend, when you give awards to terrorists and other nefarious folk, it kind of dilutes the whole 'prestige' thing of it. What value is there in that award now?

I am much more respectful and appreciative of Medal of Honor winners, myself. Like this guy (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-honor12oct12,0,4652262.story?coll=la-home-center) who received his this week posthumously.

King Crimson
10/14/2007, 08:06 AM
i thought it was the liberals who were whiners.

if the award is nothing more than a liberal asswiping for liberal self-edification and means nothing why continue to harp on it.

why is it you self-so-called "righties" get so apoplectic about Gore anyway?*

*this question will be answered with "why do YOU get so apoplectic about Bush, etc..., get over it, you LOST in 2000.....tin foil hat, Jimmy Carter reads the Qu'ran to his kids" and not answered at all.

Chuck Bao
10/14/2007, 08:29 AM
With all due respect, Jerk, that's quite a different thing.

Nobody should ever denigrate the ultimate sacrifice of our brave men and women. I cannot ever express enough how much I'm thankful for those willing to put their lives on the line.

So do you feel the same about the Japanese and Germans during WWII for their bravery and self sacrifice?

I think the distinction has to be made between policy and those asked to carry out their duty to their nation.

Honestly, I'm alarmed that some confuse public discourse with patriotism.

Jerk, how would you feel about a military whose purpose is to control it's own people? Would you give up your guns?

I think the Nobel prize is important in these cases.

Jerk
10/14/2007, 08:48 AM
Nobody should ever denigrate the ultimate sacrifice of our brave men and women.

I agree with this statement.

So do you feel the same about the Japanese and Germans during WWII for their bravery and self sacrifice?

Respect...as long as they weren't war criminals

I think the distinction has to be made between policy and those asked to carry out their duty to their nation.

I am just comparing and contrasting between what I consider an award that takes extreme sacrifice to receive, and another which is a rubber stamp for championing a cause that the award-givers agree on.

Jerk, how would you feel about a military whose purpose is to control it's own people?

They are no better than foriegn invaders. The military's job is to protect its people from outsiders, not police them.

Would you give up your guns?

I lost my entire collection in a tragic boating accident :mad:

TheHumanAlphabet
10/14/2007, 01:19 PM
It wasn't just Gore who won it, it was a bunch of people who trying to raising the alarm, including Al Gore.

And that is doing something to stop it. It ain't gonna stop if people aren't aware (or don't believe) it's happening.

As a meteorologist, count myself and Dr. Gray as people who don't believe in human caused global warning...Too many global/solar/climatic variables to believe human existence is the major cause.

Whet
10/14/2007, 01:24 PM
At least some scientists are not afraid to speak out about the big hoax from Gore:

Gore gets a cold shoulder

Steve Lytte
October 14, 2007

ONE of the world's foremost meteorologists has called the theory that helped Al Gore share the Nobel Peace Prize "ridiculous" and the product of "people who don't understand how the atmosphere works".
Dr William Gray, a pioneer in the science of seasonal hurricane forecasts, told a packed lecture hall at the University of North Carolina that humans were not responsible for the warming of the earth.
His comments came on the same day that the Nobel committee honoured Mr Gore for his work in support of the link between humans and global warming.
"We're brainwashing our children," said Dr Gray, 78, a long-time professor at Colorado State University. "They're going to the Gore movie [An Inconvenient Truth] and being fed all this. It's ridiculous."
At his first appearance since the award was announced in Oslo, Mr Gore said: "We have to quickly find a way to change the world's consciousness about exactly what we're facing."
Mr Gore shared the Nobel prize with the United Nations climate panel for their work in helping to galvanise international action against global warming.
But Dr Gray, whose annual forecasts of the number of tropical storms and hurricanes are widely publicised, said a natural cycle of ocean water temperatures - related to the amount of salt in ocean water - was responsible for the global warming that he acknowledges has taken place.
However, he said, that same cycle meant a period of cooling would begin soon and last for several years.
"We'll look back on all of this in 10 or 15 years and realise how foolish it was," Dr Gray said.
During his speech to a crowd of about 300 that included meteorology students and a host of professional meteorologists, Dr Gray also said those who had linked global warming to the increased number of hurricanes in recent years were in error.
He cited statistics showing there were 101 hurricanes from 1900 to 1949, in a period of cooler global temperatures, compared to 83 from 1957 to 2006 when the earth warmed.
"The human impact on the atmosphere is simply too small to have a major effect on global temperatures," Dr Gray said.
He said his beliefs had made him an outsider in popular science.
"It bothers me that my fellow scientists are not speaking out against something they know is wrong," he said. "But they also know that they'd never get any grants if they spoke out. I don't care about grants."
This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/10/13/1191696238792.htm
l

TheHumanAlphabet
10/14/2007, 01:25 PM

No, not all of the recipients deserved the Peace Prize in hindsight.

But, that's part of the beauty of it. It can be used to reinforce peaceful resolutions of conflicts.

You can denigrate it all you want. My favorite Nobel laureate - Aung San Suu Kyi - remains a model of passive resistance against a very brutal and ruthless military regime.

If you aren't happy with the Nobel committee's selection, start your own peace prize called...oh, I don't know...the Top Gun peace prize or the Ultimate Fighting Country peace award.

HOw did Gore "deserve" this? What has he done to improve peace in the world? All he has done is fattened his coffers from his ownership in the Carbon Offset company that many people send there money to in order to feel better.

OTOH, Aung Suu Kyi is actually living the word and doing something about peace and making life better in her part of the world, something deserving of the prize. Perhaps the Norwegians should remember that when passing out the prizes.

Big Red Ron
10/14/2007, 01:40 PM

You want war powers? Declare war.You are making a fool of yourself.

Just sayin...

Big Red Ron
10/14/2007, 01:45 PM
umm, no, it's not painful at all. It's just that beyond us finding it amusing, we just don't care. You see my friend, when you give awards to terrorists and other nefarious folk, it kind of dilutes the whole 'prestige' thing of it. What value is there in that award now?

.It's like the the year "Jethro Tull" won the Grammy for best "Heavy Metal" album ove Metalica.

I was like, I'm done with the Grammies.

Chuck Bao
10/14/2007, 01:45 PM
As an economist, too many variables gives me a job.

Big Red Ron
10/14/2007, 01:52 PM
As an economist, too many variables gives me a job.As a market researcher, I can not only help you identify but also quantify the variables.

;)

OCUDad
10/14/2007, 02:17 PM
As a market researcher, I can not only help you mis-identify but also inaccurately quantify the imaginary variables.

;);) Fixed.

1stTimeCaller
10/14/2007, 02:44 PM
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - I Hate Myself for Loving You

Vaevictis
10/14/2007, 03:40 PM
I don't think it is necessary to declare war on a country that is in breach of a cease fire agreement. Military action was a term of that agreement.

The President doesn't need a declaration of war to send troops into combat. But this president regularly takes the stand that he has unlimited and power with respect to waging war, at home and abroad, even in the absence of a declaration of war. But clearly, the Constitution envisions some limit, else why reserve the power to declare war to Congress?

And conservatives seem to be a-okay with this President's stand. Of course, a great many of them are a-okay because it's their guy in office. They don't think 10, 20, 100 years down the road when someone else takes these precedents, pushes them further, and sends us off the brink.

All parties are guilty of this. But I find these to be lesser sins. On the one hand, the examples you give have the effect of stripping the government(s) of the power to regulate or be involved in certain activities. On the other, the things I'm talking about have the effect of centralizing additional powers in the executive.

The spirit of the Constitution is to restrict the power of the government, to grant it only certain powers, to divide those powers amongst co-equal and competing branches, and to reserve the rest to the citizenry. It is a much greater sin against the spirit of the Constitution to grant the government additional powers -- and to centralize them in the hands of one man -- than it is to strip the government of powers and reserve them to the people.

(... and I'll just remind you that your examples are not open and shut, as the Constitution itself explicitly states that rights may exist in spite of their failure to be enumerated in the Constitution. That leaves the door wide open to finding new "rights" that are protected.)

Vaevictis
10/14/2007, 03:44 PM
You are making a fool of yourself.

Just sayin...

If I actually cared about that, I'd never post on an internet message board. :D

1stTimeCaller
10/14/2007, 03:45 PM
Hank Williams Jr. - OD'd in Denver

SoonerBorn68
10/14/2007, 04:00 PM
Kiss - Hotter Than Hell

Vaevictis
10/14/2007, 04:59 PM
Perhaps because the right views national defense as a valid function of government.

And as I don't mind being a parrot when the point is good:

Isn't protecting the say, 100 million or so US citizens that live in coastal areas that would be flooded a valid function of the US government?