PDA

View Full Version : Randy Couture Quits UFC

KC//CRIMSON
10/11/2007, 06:55 PM
COUTURE QUITS UFC

MMA Icon Walks Away From Promotion In Stunning Move

By Brian Knapp

At the height of its power and popularity, the Ultimate Fighting Championship today lost the man many recognize as the face of mixed martial arts. UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture announced his resignation from the Las Vegas-based promotion, leaving two contracted fights, his job as an on-air analyst and his heavyweight crown on the table.

In South Africa shooting scenes for his lead role in the upcoming feature film “The Scorpion King – Rise of the Akkadian,” Couture made the announcement official in a letter to UFC president Dana White. The UFC’s inability to land PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko played a prominent role in the decision to walk away, according to Couture.

“I appreciate this opportunity the sport of MMA and the UFC has given me,” the UFC Hall-of-Famer said. “However, I’m tired of swimming upstream at this stage with the management of the UFC. It only makes sense at this point in my career to fight Fedor Emelianenko, and since he’s now signed with another organization, I feel like it’s time to resign and focus on my other endeavors.”

His abrupt departure deals a significant blow to the world’s most visible MMA organization. Couture was not only a beloved competitor – White once called him “the greatest fighter in UFC history” – but also a revered spokesman for a company that had long struggled to gain mainstream acceptance.

“Randy’s contract was on a fight-by-fight basis, and that’s the way he said he was always going to take it – fight by fight,” said Matt Walker, Couture’s agent at The Gersh Agency. “His acting career is accelerating at an astronomical rate, and without the support he felt some of his peers were receiving in the fight business, this was the logical choice.”

A three-time All-American wrestler at Oklahoma State University, Couture won four national championships in Greco-Roman wrestling and made four attempts at qualifying for the Olympics. He made his MMA debut at UFC 13 on May 13, 1997, where, at age 33, he won a heavyweight tournament, defeating Tony Halme and Steven Graham on the same night. Just seven months later, he toppled famed kickboxer Maurice Smith in Yokohama, Japan to win the UFC heavyweight crown for the first time.

Over the course of the next decade, Couture emerged as one of the most decorated mixed martial artists in history. The UFC’s only six-time champion, he captured the heavyweight belt three times, the light heavyweight title twice and an interim light heavyweight title, as well. Couture remains the only man to win UFC championships in two weight classes.

His run through the promotion included a memorable trilogy with light heavyweight rival Chuck Liddell, the only opponent to beat Couture twice. Following his third bout with Liddell in February 2006, Couture announced his first retirement.

As 2007 dawned, his desire to compete returned, and a four-fight contract with the UFC – which included the opportunity to fight Tim Sylvia for the heavyweight strap at UFC 68 in March – was presented to Couture. He accepted, and the wheels for an historic comeback were set in motion.

Couture floored Sylvia with an overhand right seconds into the bout and punished the 6-foot-8 giant over five rounds. Playing to chants of “Randy!” he regained the heavyweight title for an unprecedented third time in front of 19,049 fans at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. Five months later, at the age of 44, he defeated rising contender Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 74, stopping the young Brazilian by third-round TKO despite suffering a broken left arm. It would be his final appearance in the Octagon.

Couture (16-8) leaves behind an unrivaled legacy in the sport. Fifteen of his 24 career bouts were title fights, and he bested six former UFC champions – Liddell, Vitor Belfort, Tito Ortiz and Sylvia among them. Always willing to meet a challenge, Couture consistently tested himself against the world’s premier fighters. The 19 men he fought (he squared off with Pedro Rizzo twice and Liddell and Belfort three times each) hold 357 victories between them.

http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=5085

Mjcpr
10/11/2007, 06:57 PM
I am devastated.

Sooner_Havok
10/11/2007, 06:58 PM
Damn, that sux for UFC, they just lost one of their main draws, and a great fighter :(

KC//CRIMSON
10/11/2007, 06:59 PM
As devastated as the rusty car and river tax?

Mjcpr
10/11/2007, 07:01 PM
As devastated as the rusty car and river tax?

You're consistent if nothing else.

KC//CRIMSON
10/11/2007, 07:02 PM
You're consistent if nothing else.

Oooh, you're all invisible and stuff.

Mjcpr
10/11/2007, 07:04 PM
Oooh, you're all invisible and stuff.

You got me there. You win.

Harry Beanbag
10/11/2007, 07:20 PM
People, this is a truly life changing event. Don't make light of it.

Mongo
10/11/2007, 09:22 PM
You got me there. You win.

rivertaxpwnd:D

HskrGrl
10/11/2007, 09:37 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :eek:

I give it a year. ;)

usmc-sooner
10/11/2007, 09:56 PM
you think Fedor maybe ducking him? You wouldn't think so but seems like Randy is the one wanting to fight.

CatfishSooner
10/11/2007, 10:06 PM
Well isn't Couture like 40 anyways??? He's a man!

JohnnyMack
10/11/2007, 10:13 PM
Whooptee friggin' doo.

How will I ever survive?

Who the hell is this guy?

CatfishSooner
10/11/2007, 10:14 PM
he was f'n bald...............

KC//CRIMSON
10/11/2007, 10:42 PM
you think Fedor maybe ducking him? You wouldn't think so but seems like Randy is the one wanting to fight.

Fedor isn't ducking anyone. He wanted to fight in and out of the UFC and they said no. So he said see ya! He's also going to make a lot more money than they could have paid him anyway. I'm thinking sooner or later he'll fight someone from the UFC.

Big Red Ron
10/11/2007, 10:46 PM
Meh

UFC will live without him.

He's an aggie anyway.

Big Red Ron
10/11/2007, 10:47 PM
Fedor isn't ducking anyone. He wanted to fight in and out of the UFC and they said no. So he said see ya! He's also going to make a lot more money than they could have paid him anyway. Some where down the line he'll fight someone from the UFC.Hope he does better than most of the other Pride Fighters then.

usmc-sooner
10/11/2007, 11:05 PM
Fedor isn't ducking anyone. He wanted to fight in and out of the UFC and they said no. So he said see ya! He's also going to make a lot more money than they could have paid him anyway. I'm thinking sooner or later he'll fight someone from the UFC.

He's ducking Randy

the longer he waits the older Randy gets.

Most of the Pride guys were juicing and are now getting exposed in the UFC.

Fedor is pretty inactive so I doubt his ability to fight outside the UFC was a major deal breaker.

usmc-sooner
10/11/2007, 11:18 PM
they payed 10 Mil for Fedor and 5 bucks for his rivals doesn't make sense. Fedor juiced and got way over-rated like all of the rest of the pride.

KC//CRIMSON
10/11/2007, 11:58 PM
He's ducking Randy

the longer he waits the older Randy gets.

Most of the Pride guys were juicing and are now getting exposed in the UFC.

Fedor is pretty inactive so I doubt his ability to fight outside the UFC was a major deal breaker.

Dude, please. Do some research on the subject before you post this nonsense. Zuffa/UFC and Fedor reps have been in negotiations for quite a while. Fedor wanted to fight in the UFC and in a Russian organazation. UFC said no. So he went else where. Plain and simple.

they payed 10 Mil for Fedor and 5 bucks for his rivals doesn't make sense. Fedor juiced and got way over-rated like all of the rest of the pride.

Just like Rampage roided his way past Chuck, and Silva roided right by Rich Franklin?

goingoneight
10/12/2007, 01:06 AM
People take this stuff way too seriously as it is. I'm getting a little tired of all the mohawks and "tribal" T-shirt stereotypes anyway. I admit, I watch the PPV fights every now and then, but it's not that big of a deal.

Mongo
10/12/2007, 08:13 AM
People take this stuff way too seriously as it is. I'm getting a little tired of all the mohawks and "tribal" T-shirt stereotypes anyway. I admit, I watch the PPV fights every now and then, but it's not that big of a deal.

you want to fight about it

OU4LIFE
10/12/2007, 08:36 AM
so what. Another aggie quits something....

pffft.

usmc-sooner
10/12/2007, 09:03 AM
Dude, please. Do some research on the subject before you post this nonsense. Zuffa/UFC and Fedor reps have been in negotiations for quite a while. Fedor wanted to fight in the UFC and in a Russian organazation. UFC said no. So he went else where. Plain and simple.

Just like Rampage roided his way past Chuck, and Silva roided right by Rich Franklin?

Like I said most not all, I don't think Rampage was, and he wasn't doing so well over there. You know there were reasons why Wandelie wanted to wait to fight Chuck. Rampage is on record as saying he felt the Pride was operated a little shady. Also Fedor has said when he loses, he wants to lose to a fellow Russian. He could take a 3 fight contract fight Randy and two others and still be young enough to go elsewhere. I don't know why you would go elsewhere. The UFC gets more exposure to the US dollar than any other organization.
Doesn't effect me either way. I think you take the Pride vs UFC (which is dumb arguement to begin with) to personal.

usmc-sooner
10/12/2007, 09:04 AM

there can never be enough mohawks.

KC//CRIMSON
10/12/2007, 12:13 PM
I don't know why you would go elsewhere.

If you could fight in your own country and make millions, why wouldn't you?

The guy is a GOD over there.....

SoonerBBall
10/12/2007, 01:00 PM
If you could fight in your own country and make millions, why wouldn't you?

The guy is a GOD over there.....

The guy is a god everywhere that watches MMA.

I think he is ducking Coture. Coture has always been the giant-killer and Fedor is the only giant left standing.

KC//CRIMSON
10/12/2007, 01:04 PM
The guy is a god everywhere that watches MMA.

I think he is ducking Coture. Coture has always been the giant-killer and Fedor is the only giant left standing.

How is it ducking if he wanted to fight in both orgs? Besides, now that RC is out of the UFC he could just as easily join the same org/M1 as Fedor.............and bingo. All this "ducking" stuff is laughable.

Howzit
10/12/2007, 01:10 PM
Why do they have to fight, anyways? A real man would talk through their differences.

JohnnyMack
10/12/2007, 01:13 PM
Why do they have to fight, anyways? A real man would talk through their differences.

Let's hug it out.

badger
10/12/2007, 01:25 PM
For you UFC fans, surely you've noticed that the UFC fighters are getting screwed pay-wise.

The top card fighters might get a quarter-mil for a PPV. The rest will receive a few thousand to get their head punched a half dozen times while they lay on the ground, waiting for the ref to stop the puncher.

Boxers get $10 mil for PPV fights. Even pro wrestling stars make more on average than UFC, and most of that isn't real punches and kicks and such.

UFC is now raking in multi millions with PPV and their television contract, not to mention all the people showing up at the gate in ticket sales. Give the fighters a reason to fight and perhaps they'll stay longer.

Harry Beanbag
10/12/2007, 05:04 PM
For you UFC fans, surely you've noticed that the UFC fighters are getting screwed pay-wise.

The top card fighters might get a quarter-mil for a PPV. The rest will receive a few thousand to get their head punched a half dozen times while they lay on the ground, waiting for the ref to stop the puncher.

Boxers get $10 mil for PPV fights. Even pro wrestling stars make more on average than UFC, and most of that isn't real punches and kicks and such.

UFC is now raking in multi millions with PPV and their television contract, not to mention all the people showing up at the gate in ticket sales. Give the fighters a reason to fight and perhaps they'll stay longer.

Sounds like they need to form a union. :texan:

OU4LIFE
10/15/2007, 09:54 AM

or they have swim-offs.

Scott D
10/15/2007, 11:14 AM
clearly MMA needs Don King ;)

KC//CRIMSON
10/22/2007, 09:13 PM
Fedor Emelianenko signs 2 years - 6 fight contract

PRIDE FC Heavyweight Champion Fedor Emelianenko announced that he has signed a six-fight, two-year fight contract with M-1 Global — a new mixed martial arts organization — today at a press conference at Marc Ecko Enterprises in downtown Manhattan.

This information was revealed in the media kit for the event, which was attended by Jesse Holland from UFCmania.com. It was supposed to begin at 5:30 p.m. ET; however, delays pushed the start back to a little after 6 p.m. ET.

In addition, the “mystery” owner of the new promotion was revealed in a press release earlier today and confirmed at the packed New York City event.
Here are those details: “Sibling Entertainment Group Holdings, Inc. announced Sibling Theatricals, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sibling Entertainment Group, Inc., together with Garlin Holdings Limited as Managing Members, have formed Sibling Sports, LLC for the purpose of creating M-1 Global …”

Monte Cox — the long-time manager of mixed martial artists such as former welterweight champion Matt Hughes — was was named President and CEO of M-1 Global.

At this time, no opponent or date has been set for the debut of the Russian superstar under the M-1 banner. However, M-1 is searching for a television partner and is eager to stage an event as early as February 2008.
In the next 10 days, M-1 will reveal its stable of fighters who will join Emelianenko on the new roster. In addition, Jesse is passing along news that Emelianenko’s contract will allow him to fight in the UFC if a deal can be struck between the two organizations. Furthermore, M-1 representatives indicate that the winner of the bout would earn a $1 million payday.
Other highlights:
UFC turned down an offer to match Emelianenko up against Tim Sylvia when both were champions in there respective organizations.

Fedor mentioned that his brother, Aleks, was offered a “low ball” contract to fight inside the Octagon. The goal is to sign him to an M-1 contract as soon as possible.

M-1 will follow PRIDE FC rules for the most part and not include elbows.

More info coming in …
Jesse will check back in when he has more details about the announcement and the entire press conference. Stay tuned for more details.

http://ufcmania.com/2007/10/22/fedor...ract-with-m-1/

Sooner_Bob
10/22/2007, 09:31 PM
Meh

UFC will live without him.

He's an aggie anyway.

Blasphemy!!!! :P

Sooner_Bob
10/22/2007, 09:36 PM
Fedor Emelianenko signs 2 years - 6 fight contract

PRIDE FC Heavyweight Champion Fedor Emelianenko announced that he has signed a six-fight, two-year fight contract with M-1 Global — a new mixed martial arts organization — today at a press conference at Marc Ecko Enterprises in downtown Manhattan.

This information was revealed in the media kit for the event, which was attended by Jesse Holland from UFCmania.com. It was supposed to begin at 5:30 p.m. ET; however, delays pushed the start back to a little after 6 p.m. ET.

In addition, the “mystery” owner of the new promotion was revealed in a press release earlier today and confirmed at the packed New York City event.
Here are those details: “Sibling Entertainment Group Holdings, Inc. announced Sibling Theatricals, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sibling Entertainment Group, Inc., together with Garlin Holdings Limited as Managing Members, have formed Sibling Sports, LLC for the purpose of creating M-1 Global …”

Monte Cox — the long-time manager of mixed martial artists such as former welterweight champion Matt Hughes — was was named President and CEO of M-1 Global.

At this time, no opponent or date has been set for the debut of the Russian superstar under the M-1 banner. However, M-1 is searching for a television partner and is eager to stage an event as early as February 2008.
In the next 10 days, M-1 will reveal its stable of fighters who will join Emelianenko on the new roster. In addition, Jesse is passing along news that Emelianenko’s contract will allow him to fight in the UFC if a deal can be struck between the two organizations. Furthermore, M-1 representatives indicate that the winner of the bout would earn a $1 million payday.
Other highlights:
UFC turned down an offer to match Emelianenko up against Tim Sylvia when both were champions in there respective organizations.

Fedor mentioned that his brother, Aleks, was offered a “low ball” contract to fight inside the Octagon. The goal is to sign him to an M-1 contract as soon as possible.

More info coming in …
Jesse will check back in when he has more details about the announcement and the entire press conference. Stay tuned for more details.

http://ufcmania.com/2007/10/22/fedor...ract-with-m-1/

I just want to see Fedor fight . . . someone, anyone.

SoonerBBall
10/23/2007, 12:27 AM
In addition, Jesse is passing along news that Emelianenko’s contract will allow him to fight in the UFC if a deal can be struck between the two organizations. Furthermore, M-1 representatives indicate that the winner of the bout would earn a $1 million payday.

UFC doesn't sign guys that aren't UFC exclusive. Everyone who is even half-serious about MMA knows that, and the quote above was thrown in for the sole purpose of making UFC look bad and M-1 look like it was trying to be helpful.

See above.

Cry more? Low ball compared to what? I've seen Aleks fight before, and it isn't like he is Fedor2.

The Pride ruleset is bad. Knees and kicks to downed opponents' heads is asking for someone to die. Also, no elbows? I can tap dance on a guys face but I can't hit him with an elbow? Maybe they can also continue the awful way that Pride would stand up fighters while they were still working on the ground. :rolleyes: I wouldn't expect anything less of an organization that has MMA fights in a boxing ring, though.

Sooner_Bob
10/23/2007, 06:16 PM
:pop:

KC//CRIMSON
10/23/2007, 08:49 PM
UFC doesn't sign guys that aren't UFC exclusive. Everyone who is even half-serious about MMA knows that, and the quote above was thrown in for the sole purpose of making UFC look bad and M-1 look like it was trying to be helpful.

Funny how you never mentioned this before when you said Fedor was ducking. Well, who's ducking now? M-1 and Fedor are saying here I am, come and get it. It's well known that Fedor wanted to fight in both Org's. The UFC cannot even come close to paying him or any champ for that matter what he/they are worth. Also, FWIW, Chuck Liddell fought in a Pride Tournament sponsored by Dana White and the UFC. Stop playing the UFC/Pride card. It's over.

See above.

Total puss call by Dana White and Zuffa. They both knew Fedor would wreck his *hit. Too much money to be lost on PPV fights for their champ Sylvia. Fedor would have KO'd him in two minutes, if that.

Cry more? Low ball compared to what? I've seen Aleks fight before, and it isn't like he is Fedor2.

Everyone knows the UFC doesn't pay squat. Aleks is a decent fighter. He would beat a few guys in the UFC, but would not be a champion. Why get paid less?

The Pride ruleset is bad. Knees and kicks to downed opponents' heads is asking for someone to die. Also, no elbows? I can tap dance on a guys face but I can't hit him with an elbow? Maybe they can also continue the awful way that Pride would stand up fighters while they were still working on the ground. I wouldn't expect anything less of an organization that has MMA fights in a boxing ring, though.

Dude, do you know anything about the fricking sport? You can't knee or kick an opponent who is face down on the ground. You can't knee or kick an opponent in the back or the side of the head at any time. Front only (Which is rarely anyway.)

They stop the fight if the fighters are on the ground and in the ropes. They stop the fighters if they are on the ground for a lengthy non-combative session. (Same as UFC)

And the reason they don't allow elbows on the ground is because they want the fight to end in either a tap out, knock out, or submission. Not from getting cut by an elbow (Which anyone who knows MMA would tell you is the easiest way to get cut) and bleeding all over the place.

ps. How'd you like Franklin getting his *hit wrecked, again!