PDA

View Full Version : Why Isn't Bradford a Heisman Contender?

stoopified
10/11/2007, 04:52 PM
We are halfway through the season and THE ANSWER is still putting up video game stats.He leads the NATION in passing efficency.I understand being a little leery of jumping on board the Bradford Heisman train early,BUT now?Seems by this time in his frosh year EVERYONE was touting AD for Heisman but Bradford is getting only sporadic mention,even locally.I'm not saying that Sam should win the Heisman but if he stays on track he should be an NYC invitee.If AD could do it,I see no reason Sam can't.Who is having a more Heisman deserving season than Bradford?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2007, 04:55 PM
If he plays well Saturday and OU wins, he ll be mentioned again. The heisman is about exposure and he ll get plenty of it Saturday

jeremy885
10/11/2007, 04:56 PM
A: He's a freshman QB with a great supporting cast. While AD had a great team around him, RBs get treated differently.
B: Last two games haven't been the greatest played by the team.
C: Maybe not enough National TV coverage??

tru2ou
10/11/2007, 04:58 PM
Two words...fresh man

- tru

47straight
10/11/2007, 05:05 PM
Because he's not one of the top 5-10 football players in the country. He's doing a great job, but let's let any sort of national award talk sit for a couple years.

swardboy
10/11/2007, 05:07 PM
While i think THE ANSWER (I like that) is worthy of consideration, the big difference between AD and Sam is that AD had huge hype coming into Norman...what a recruiting coup it was! Sam really was a complete unknown commodity until he stepped on the field. Look out next year though.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/11/2007, 05:07 PM
Guys all these replies are too simple. We need someone to write a 1/2 on the conspiracy theory of keeping him out

josh09
10/11/2007, 05:13 PM
We are halfway through the season and THE ANSWER is still putting up video game stats.He leads the NATION in passing efficency.I understand being a little leery of jumping on board the Bradford Heisman train early,BUT now?Seems by this time in his frosh year EVERYONE was touting AD for Heisman but Bradford is getting only sporadic mention,even locally.I'm not saying that Sam should win the Heisman but if he stays on track he should be an NYC invitee.If AD could do it,I see no reason Sam can't.Who is having a more Heisman deserving season than Bradford?

He's a freshmen.

They dont want a fish to win the Heisman, as we saw in '04.

ouflak
10/11/2007, 05:20 PM
Freshman

oupride
10/11/2007, 05:25 PM
freshman

Jello Biafra
10/11/2007, 05:27 PM
after the past couple of years.....

i couldn't care less if that trophy EVAH comes back to Norman......rather have the nc trophies.....just a thought.

Seamus
10/11/2007, 05:38 PM
Heismans help begat crystal footballs.

The lure of the Heisman can help draw top recruits to your program.

LesNessman
10/11/2007, 05:53 PM

As for QBs, Harrell at Tech is, and the Rainbow Warrior. Tebow is kind of borderline, but he was the man in the LSU game even though they lost.

RBs: Hart, McFadden, and then that receiver for Cal is pretty darn good.

IronSooner
10/11/2007, 06:18 PM
Guys all these replies are too simple. We need someone to write a 1/2 on the conspiracy theory of keeping him out

IT'S AN ESPN CONSPIRACY!! [hairGel]

SoonerBOI
10/11/2007, 07:26 PM
Freshman. But will seriously contend for the award in years to come.

goingoneight
10/11/2007, 07:37 PM
He doesn't play for an SEC team or Notre Dame.

KantoSooner
10/11/2007, 07:51 PM
Uh, MU's QB is having a better year in every category except efficiency rating, unless I read the stats wrong. And he's not getting too much ink, either.

MextheBulldog
10/11/2007, 09:36 PM
IT'S AN ESPN CONSPIRACY!! [hairGel]

:)

Jello Biafra
10/11/2007, 10:34 PM
Heismans help begat crystal footballs.

The lure of the Heisman can help draw top recruits to your program.

wrong.....

heisman = all too often thinking you can take anyone....anywhere and then getting your ash handed to you on a platter by a far inferior opponent painted purple and white then a month later by a less than stellar purple and gold squad.......

2000-2002 seasons got us all the studs we could have needed. its a TEAM sport won by a team.........see.... 2000 national championship squad.

the type of players we want are the ones who want to come to the program to be put in a position to win championships, not the type that are only interested in coming here for hardware. look to the california side of the country......all the hardware you could possibly want in the last 6 years with the exception of what counts............national championships.....

Crucifax Autumn
10/11/2007, 10:43 PM
I have to agree with Jello...Besides, if every OU player who deserved it won it we'd run out of room for statues and have to annex Kansas...and who the hell would wanna annex Kansas?

stoopified
10/12/2007, 08:33 AM
While i think THE ANSWER (I like that) is worthy of consideration, the big difference between AD and Sam is that AD had huge hype coming into Norman...what a recruiting coup it was! Sam really was a complete unknown commodity until he stepped on the field. Look out next year though.
I think you may be right,preseason pub and expectations of AD were HUGE.In the end if we win OUt it will be in large part because of THE ANSWER and IMHO that will get him a top5 finsh.

stoopified
10/12/2007, 08:41 AM
Uh, MU's QB is having a better year in every category except efficiency rating, unless I read the stats wrong. And he's not getting too much ink, either.
Kanto.I checked your assertions comparing Daniel ans Sam,you are DEAD wrong.Sam has more TDs,higher completion %,higher yards per attempt,Better TD to int. ratio.In short other than trowing MORE passes for more yards ,Daniel leads Sam in NO category.

trey
10/12/2007, 09:07 AM
because he's the 3rd best player on his own offense....

CitySooner
10/12/2007, 09:26 AM
No one in the media had ever heard of Bradford coming into the season. He was just one of several quarterbacks battling for the job. There were a dozen so called 'Heisman contenders' already hyped since the end of last season. I think most observers considered his early performances as an abberation, and then the Colorado game made them quickly lose attention. If Slingin' Sammy continues to light up defenses with that awesome touch he has and ends the season in the top five quarteback ratings, he will no doubt start his sophmore year as one of the favorites to win the Heisman.

SoonerGM
10/12/2007, 09:28 AM
im more interested in why kelly isnt being talked about more.

the leading reciever according to ESPN is DeSean Jackson of Cal.
RCV Yards: 312 - 2 TD
Rushing Yards: 101 - 1 TD
Punt Rtn: 95 - 1 TD

Kelly Stats:
RCV Yards: 454 - 8 TD

Theskipster
10/12/2007, 10:37 AM
The O-line is a HUGE part of Sam's success. I don't see being able to place Sam on a team like Nebraska and still have Sam put up anywhere near the numbers he has.

He needs to prove himself a little more before he will be a true contender. But I guarantee he has caught the notice of the Heisman voters.

madillsoonerfan5353
10/12/2007, 10:43 AM
Who cares bout the Heisman, it's a great personal award! I kinda care about the Big XII and National Championships! Thats just me, but Slinging Sam it da Man!

Curly Bill
10/12/2007, 11:17 AM
I think for a QB, much more so then a RB, they have to prove themselves over a longer period of time. I think Sam is the real deal and is gonna do that, but to others, including Heisman voters I think they want to see if he can keep doing what he has so far.

OUmillenium
10/12/2007, 11:28 AM

That's it...
AD committed to the Sooners at the Army HS AA game

AD had huge coming out vs. UTerus

OU was coming off close MNC loss and expecting to win it with the addition of a "bigtime" running back

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/12/2007, 01:02 PM
The O-line is a HUGE part of Sam's success. I don't see being able to place Sam on a team like Nebraska and still have Sam put up anywhere near the numbers he has.

He needs to prove himself a little more before he will be a true contender. But I guarantee he has caught the notice of the Heisman voters.

I agree. As great as Sam has played I think a HUGE part of his success is the O-line and having 2 real good receivers. Also sort of like how some said that Pat White and Steve Slaton would cancel each other out the same thing can happen to a smaller degree with Bradford, Kelly and Murray.

All that said. I think he IS a Heisman contender. It is just for the first time in years there is no clear cut leader and it might turn out the way it should be with voters waiting until the very end to make a choice.

McFadded was supposed to be the front runner but Felix jones has been just as productive with less carries. White and Slaton have both been banged up. Booty is a fraud and Colt Brennan has put up some big nubmers but no better than Sam against lesser competition.

Arguably Graham Harrell could be the front runner at this point.

If OU continues to win and Sam continues to have a ridiculous TD/INT ratio you can bet he will get an invite to NY. Win it? Probably not. He would be a front runner going into 2008.

Landthief 1972
10/12/2007, 01:09 PM
He is listed as a dark horse in the running on most heisman poles I read.

What's killing him is that part of that rating is due to playing two of the worst defenses in Div I - North Texas and Utah State, both without a win yet.

Seamus
10/12/2007, 01:20 PM
wrong.....

heisman = all too often thinking you can take anyone....anywhere and then getting your ash handed to you on a platter by a far inferior opponent painted purple and white then a month later by a less than stellar purple and gold squad.......

2000-2002 seasons got us all the studs we could have needed. its a TEAM sport won by a team.........see.... 2000 national championship squad.

the type of players we want are the ones who want to come to the program to be put in a position to win championships, not the type that are only interested in coming here for hardware. look to the california side of the country......all the hardware you could possibly want in the last 6 years with the exception of what counts............national championships.....

I understand, and agree with your argument, but it's not that simple. The backbone of our program will always be the team-oriented players willing to work hard. But you're speaking as if the two are mutually exclusive. AD was a Heisman-caliber recruit and player, and he won two conference titles and played for a national title. You've still got to get a certain amount of players like Tommie Harris into your program to give yourselves a chance to play for the title.

You need talented players to win. You need players willing to work hard to win. You're kidding yourself if you don't think the majority of kids who come through the program don't see it as a stepping stone to the NFL. That's only natural.

Theskipster
10/12/2007, 03:02 PM
He is listed as a dark horse in the running on most heisman poles I read.

What's killing him is that part of that rating is due to playing two of the worst defenses in Div I - North Texas and Utah State, both without a win yet.

Tulsa's pass defense is ranked even wore than both of those.

Utah State - 104
North Texas - 111
Tulsa - 112

Oklahoma State - 116 [hairGel]

joejon_gresham
10/12/2007, 03:26 PM
I can see why Bradford isn't being seriously considered for the heisman. He does lead the nation in passer efficiency, and I wouldn't trade him for hardly anyone. However, he is a freshman, has lost a game, is not the best player on his own offense, and he has not played any great teams. Actually, I'm kinda wondering why Crabtree from Texas Tech isn't even being seriously considered as a contender. He's on pace to break some NCAA records...and he is a true freshman. But again, the freshman factor comes into play. I think if Bradford continues to improve, there is no way that he can't win the heisman as soon as next year.

cheezyq
10/12/2007, 03:30 PM
...and who the hell would wanna annex Kansas?

Damn straight. If Oklahoma annexed Kansas...

...your taxes would increase by 200%,
...every single road, highway, and sidewalk in Oklahoma would be under construction all at once,
...every speed limit sign would be reduced by 10 mph immediately,
...every improvement to, or construction of, a public facility would cost exactly $150 million,
...you'd have to increase your tolerance for delusional aggie fans by at least two fold,
...you'd be embarrassed to answer the question: "Where are you from?",
...you'd need nose plugs.....

Jello Biafra
10/12/2007, 04:20 PM
I understand, and agree with your argument, but it's not that simple. The backbone of our program will always be the team-oriented players willing to work hard. But you're speaking as if the two are mutually exclusive. AD was a Heisman-caliber recruit and player, and he won two conference titles and played for a national title. You've still got to get a certain amount of players like Tommie Harris into your program to give yourselves a chance to play for the title.

You need talented players to win. You need players willing to work hard to win. You're kidding yourself if you don't think the majority of kids who come through the program don't see it as a stepping stone to the NFL. That's only natural.

didn't say it was a simple answer.....only the quickest statement i had for it in the time i had before practice .....i played 12 years and have coached nearly as many. i'll (personally) take the "TEAM" guy over the "trophy" guy day in and day out......works out better that way. they are typically more coachable (if thats a word) and certainly not worried about stats and carries/catches/tackles.....they only want the DUBBA U

Landthief 1972
10/12/2007, 04:51 PM
Tulsa's pass defense is ranked even wore than both of those.

Utah State - 104
North Texas - 111
Tulsa - 112

Oklahoma State - 116 [hairGel]

Perusing the stats page, it looks like Miami is best he's faced so far at #31. Apparently, Sam would rip our pass D apart at its paltry 53rd rank. ;)

Upcoming opponents:
Misery: 100
Iowa State: 61
Texas A&M: 71
Baylor: 95
Texas Tech: 20 - this is impressive, considering what they gave up to Hair Gel U
Go Pukes: 116

Colorado (42), at this point, would be the second-best pass D he's seen.
Texas (57), at this point, would be the third-best.

The rest of the season outside of Tech, he'll never go against better than 61.

Man, the Big XII pass D is TEH SUCC.

Crucifax Autumn
10/13/2007, 12:21 AM
Damn straight. If Oklahoma annexed Kansas...

...your taxes would increase by 200%,
...every single road, highway, and sidewalk in Oklahoma would be under construction all at once,
...every speed limit sign would be reduced by 10 mph immediately,
...every improvement to, or construction of, a public facility would cost exactly $150 million,
...you'd have to increase your tolerance for delusional aggie fans by at least two fold,
...you'd be embarrassed to answer the question: "Where are you from?",
...you'd need nose plugs.....

Not to mention you'd have 3 choices of beer at the average convenience store, Wichita would still be disgusting, we'd have to claim a kinship with Judy Garland and her gay fans, Annie Oakley would be one of our state heroes, and our biggest hill in the world would now be Mangino.

PLaw
10/13/2007, 08:00 AM
1. Freshman

2. No pre-season hype

3. General national media downer on the Sooners

4. Perceived success due to system driven by previous success of good (not great) QB's winning

JMHO,

BOOMER
PLaw

tnraider1
10/13/2007, 08:19 AM
1. Freshman

2. No pre-season hype

3. General national media downer on the Sooners

4. Perceived success due to system driven by previous success of good (not great) QB's winning

JMHO,

BOOMER
PLaw

Bingo!!!!

SeattleOUstudent
10/13/2007, 09:23 AM

Yeah, hello Jason White

Piware
10/13/2007, 11:12 AM
It's just too soon. I loved AD but sometimes thought all the hype around him took away from some other stellar players in the media. My preference is that Sam stays under the radar until he has more experience, gets a full season under his belt and then turn the PR machine loose. I have seen way too many cases where all the Heisman yap turned around and bit a player/team on the backside.