PDA

View Full Version : punt before half-time

Larry&Leisa
10/11/2007, 10:39 AM
Watched the replay again and if only a few more seconds were on the clock we might have had a field goal...altho I guess we were out of timeouts...It did appear to me the texass player touched the ball. But the thing that got my attention was that the ref as he signaled the decline of the penalty also said 'OU ball'. ( then of course he also said time had expired) Glad that play turned out to have no bearing on the game.

sooner518
10/11/2007, 10:42 AM
it looked like Texas had a roughing the kicker penalty that we declined. and i think the refs judged that the ball hit the Texas player and we recovered but ran out of bounds at about the 5, but that the clock ran out. if he had run it into the end zone instead of out of bounds, I guess we would have had a TD but it didnt turn out that way.

TopDawg
10/11/2007, 10:49 AM
The thing that got me was that if they don't field the punt cleanly, the rules state that the team that recovers it cannot advance it, so it should've been dead on the spot. Some of my friends watching the game with Tivo said they replayed it and we recovered it with 1 second remaining. The refs did review the play, and if there was no time left, then it doesn't really matter. But if there was one second left, the best I can guess is:

1) The replay showed that it actually didn't hit a Texas player and the refs figured "no sense in bringing them back out just to take a knee" (since the teams were already in the tunnel)
2) The replay showed that it did hit a Texas player but the refs either decided "No sense in brining them back out so OU can kick a field goal" or they forgot that it cannot be advanced if not fielded cleanly.

Whatever happened, they could've done a better job of explaining it. My guess is that replay showed it did NOT hit a Texas player since the stats show only 2 turnovers (the fumble and INT). I'm not sure, though, if a muffed punt shows up as a turnover or not.

Larry&Leisa
10/11/2007, 10:54 AM
hhmm.... can they review for time left on the clock as in basketball?

I'm pretty sure that the muff would show up.. was the play at the end of the game a couple of weeks ago, of which I will not speak of , not show up in the stats?

OUmillenium
10/11/2007, 11:25 AM
Interesting, I remember being a bit concerned about that.

There were a lot of calls that hurt OU but the holding call on UT late in the 4the qtr was a killer. Refs did not cost us this game, but maybe a bigger margin of victory.

We won, I'm happy

TopDawg
10/11/2007, 12:31 PM
hhmm.... can they review for time left on the clock as in basketball?

Well, typically when they review something, they look at how the call will affect the time. I don't know that they can review JUST to see how much time should be left but I think if they are reviewing something else, they can (and do) look at the time.

I'm pretty sure that the muff would show up.. was the play at the end of the game a couple of weeks ago, of which I will not speak of , not show up in the stats?

Yes, it did. Smith has one fumble from that game. So I guess that means that they decided it was not touched by a Texas player.

MI Sooner
10/11/2007, 04:31 PM
The refs screwed it up. Dead ball when we get posession. Clock (unofficial TV clock) showed :01 when we recovered.

Mother****ers.

TopDawg
10/11/2007, 05:21 PM
The refs screwed it up. Dead ball when we get posession. Clock (unofficial TV clock) showed :01 when we recovered.

Mother****ers.

But wouldn't it have just been Texas' ball with 1 second left? Cuz the stats show that it wasn't a turnover.

josh09
10/11/2007, 06:45 PM
Watched the replay again and if only a few more seconds were on the clock we might have had a field goal...altho I guess we were out of timeouts...It did appear to me the texass player touched the ball. But the thing that got my attention was that the ref as he signaled the decline of the penalty also said 'OU ball'. ( then of course he also said time had expired) Glad that play turned out to have no bearing on the game.

Its ok.....

WE WON!!! :)

Crucifax Autumn
10/11/2007, 10:24 PM
Kill the refs!

Cam
10/12/2007, 09:10 PM
Correct. Ball touched the texas player, we took possession and there was 1 second left on the clock. If they reviewed it, I'm not sure exactly how they missed it. I would think that Stoops would've been a-ok with coming back and trying a field goal.

My beef with instant replay is that it's there to get it right and they miss some pretty damn simple stuff.

FtwTxSooner
10/12/2007, 09:55 PM
Right after the teams went off the field, I saw the ref go to the sidelines and put on the headset for a couple of minutes, as if the play was being reviewed reviewed. I'm guessing they had other shots that clearly showed the Texas player didn't touch the ball. Also, usually they don't correct the clock unless its way off. Losing a second from the time a ball was downed, to the official signals the clock to stop, to the time the clock operator actually stops the clock is expected.