PDA

View Full Version : The Cult admonishes Fran and reports him to the NCAA

JohnnyMack
10/11/2007, 09:48 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3058459

A&M coach admonished for producing secretive newsletter

Associated Press

Updated: October 11, 2007, 10:41 AM ET

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Texas A&M officials said Thursday that coach Dennis Franchione will be admonished for a secretive for-pay newsletter sent to boosters and that the school will report violations related to the newsletter to the NCAA.

Texas A&M has found that Dennis Franchione's for-pay newsletter crossed several lines and might have broken NCAA rules.

The school ordered him to shut down his Web site -- CoachFran.com -- and will issue a "letter of admonishment."

About two weeks ago, the school hired a consulting firm to investigate after Franchione admitted he provided the information in a newsletter called the "VIP Connection."

He was also ordered to no longer employ "any staff members that could be construed as representing Texas A&M or providing information or reports relative to his position as head coach at Texas A&M." Franchione's longtime personal assistant, Mike McKenzie, actually wrote the e-mails.

The school pointed out three areas where possible violations occurred:

• Franchione did not report to A&M income generated through his Web site or from the VIP Connection. The school said Franchione thought he did not have to report the income until he actually received the proceeds that exceeded expenses incurred for maintaining the Web site.

• The VIP Connection occasionally contained information about prospective student-athletes. The NCAA prohibits a school from commenting publicly on recruits until they sign letters of intent.

• The school suggested that Franchione violated Big 12 standards of sportsmanship.

:pop:

colleyvillesooner
10/11/2007, 09:53 AM
explain "admonish"

The_Red_Patriot
10/11/2007, 10:00 AM
Main Entry: ad·mon·ish
Pronunciation: ad-'mä-nish
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English admonesten, from Anglo-French amonester, from Vulgar Latin *admonestare, alteration of Latin admonEre to warn, from ad- + monEre to warn -- more at MIND
1 a : to indicate duties or obligations to b : to express warning or disapproval to especially in a gentle, earnest, or solicitous manner
2 : to give friendly earnest advice or encouragement to
synonym see REPROVE
- ad·mon·ish·er noun
- ad·mon·ish·ing·ly /-ni-shi[ng]-lE/ adverb
- ad·mon·ish·ment /-m&nt/ noun

jrsooner
10/11/2007, 10:02 AM
explain "admonish"

according to American Heritage Dictionary

ad·mon·ish (ād-mŏn'ĭsh) Pronunciation Key
tr.v. ad·mon·ished, ad·mon·ish·ing, ad·mon·ish·es

To reprove gently but earnestly.
To counsel (another) against something to be avoided; caution.
To remind of something forgotten or disregarded, as an obligation or a responsibility.

[Middle English amonishen, admonishen, alteration of amonesten, from Old French amonester, admonester, from Vulgar Latin *admonestāre, from Latin admonēre : ad-, ad- + monēre, to warn; see men-1 in Indo-European roots.]

ad·mon'ish·er n., ad·mon'ish·ing·ly adv., ad·mon'ish·ment n.

Synonyms: These verbs mean to correct or caution critically. Admonish implies the giving of advice or a warning in order to rectify or avoid something: "A gallows erected on an eminence admonished the offenders of the fate that awaited them" (William Hickling Prescott).
Reprove usually suggests gentle criticism and constructive intent: With a quick look, the teacher reproved the child for whispering in class.
Rebuke and reprimand both refer to sharp, often angry criticism: "Some of the most heated criticism . . . has come from the Justice Department, which rarely rebukes other agencies in public" (Howard Kurtz). "A committee at [the university] asked its president to reprimand a scientist who tested gene-altered bacteria on trees" (New York Times).
Reproach usually refers to regretful or unhappy criticism arising from a sense of disappointment: "Every other author may aspire to praise; the lexicographer can only hope to escape reproach" (Samuel Johnson).

yermom
10/11/2007, 10:09 AM
he didn't say "define" ;)

are they just publicly saying that they didn't approve, or are they actually going to punish him somehow?

if the NCAA finds that he broke rules, are they able to get out of his contract or something?

handcrafted
10/11/2007, 10:13 AM
We all owe JohnnyMack $1,200 for this information.

NormanPride
Since it's A&M, he'll probably have to sleep without sheep for a few nights, and may have to polish some boots.

badger
adminish=slap on the wrist.

the REAL "admonishment" (aka firing) will come after A&M loses to the school their fans like to call "Tceh." Once "Tceh" puts A&M back in their place of suckitude, their fans will show their suckitude gratitude by calling for Fran's head... which the university will oblige with.

After all, nobody likes losing :D Why else would Fran still be in his position after a mess like this?

colleyvillesooner
10/11/2007, 10:14 AM
he didn't say "define" ;)

are they just publicly saying that they didn't approve, or are they actually going to punish him somehow?

if the NCAA finds that he broke rules, are they able to get out of his contract or something?

That's what I know, how the word pertains to this situation.

Pretty sure I know how to go to dictionary.com.

snp
10/11/2007, 10:20 AM
I was being a smartass but then I saw 2 others joined me and felt it was a little much :O

tanjou
10/11/2007, 10:22 AM
They were also supposed to release the content of the newsletters he sent out to subscribers.

JohnnyMack
10/11/2007, 10:22 AM
We all owe JohnnyMack $1,200 for this information.

To my PayPal account, plzkthks.

aurorasooner
10/11/2007, 10:24 AM
explain "admonish" = CYA with the NCAA.
Ag administration is just waiting for aTm to "lay an egg". It didn't happen last week because the Ags escaped, barely, and you can't really say (or do) anything more since they're leading the Big 12 south. If the AGs get humiliated in Lubbock, they'll turn the heat up next week. Then if they go up to Lincoln and lose, you'll hear more. If aTm somehow pulls it out in Lubbock, and somehow wins in Lincoln, and squeaks by Kansas at Kyle, short of us putting a 77-0 type beating on them, this could turn in to a Pederson/Solich type of Big Boosters vs Franchione, with the aTm AD following his marching orders. The only way I can see him staying as aTm's HC is if he wins out and wins the Big 12 south, or perhaps if we win the rest and aTm loses a nail-biter to us in Norman, and then they beat Texas at Kyle, and tie with us for the South and go to the Cotton Bowl (and win it)

yermom
10/11/2007, 10:29 AM
if he beats Texass again, he's probably safe ;)

colleyvillesooner
10/11/2007, 10:30 AM
Hopefully! :D

Mac94
10/11/2007, 10:36 AM
First, the reason for "Tceh:"
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/htowntx/TCEH.jpg

Second, catching a bit of the press conference it was notyed that the athletic department still has not been able to obtain all the e-mails .... although they have made what they have public ... its on the departments web site ... but the site is hard to access right now, alot of traffic.

Third, one person has been fired; Mike "be of good cheer" McKenzie ... Fran's PR guy and also now former staffer in the department.

Fourth, as for Fran ... Bill Byrne was very terse with that question, simply noting that all of this, which is still ongoing, will be part of Fran's end of the season review.

Strong odds are, right now, that Fran will NOT return for 2008.

OUDoc
10/11/2007, 10:48 AM
its on the departments web site ... but the site is hard to access right now, alot of traffic.
It's 12's nap time.

snp
10/11/2007, 10:48 AM
First, the reason for "Tceh:"

I've always found it funny when A&M makes fun of Tech for their spirit squads. Those guys that hold the flag get to hold up hot babes; A&M spirit squads hold their nuts.

KRYPTON
10/11/2007, 10:52 AM
Fran gets paid $6 mil or whatever if they release him without cause, i.e. he just loses and the team suxx0rrzz.

Fran does not get paid, goes directly to jail if he is directly associated with NCAA violations, or does something that seriously damages the institution's reputation, credibility, etc. The second bit, the reputation damage, isn't something A&M would win if Fran sued them for $6 million.

SO, at this point, A&M hasn't found a way to unilaterally fire him without paying $6 million. They're "punting" to the NCAA, protecting the institution, and seeing if the NCAA will come back with something.

Losing out - a real possibility for A&M - will probably cause the regents to stomach writing a check no matter what.

All the Aggies down here absolutely hate him.

Mac94
10/11/2007, 10:52 AM
Ninja -

They messed up the flag order ... the first time I saw this I figured it was a photoshop ... but the Tech alum I work with said it was very real ... they messed up the order. So, in the nature of a rivalry, we've used it ever since. Hence "tceh."

Widescreen
10/11/2007, 10:54 AM
Franchione did not report to A&M income generated through his Web site or from the VIP Connection. The school said Franchione thought he did not have to report the income until he actually received the proceeds that exceeded expenses incurred for maintaining the Web site.
That must be one expensive website.

yermom
10/11/2007, 10:54 AM
Ninja -

They messed up the flag order ... the first time I saw this I figured it was a photoshop ... but the Tech alum I work with said it was very real ... they messed up the order. So, in the nature of a rivalry, we've used it ever since. Hence "tceh."

yeah, that's a very innerweb thing, like "teh" or "pwn" i can totally see why that would stick :D

Mac94
10/11/2007, 10:56 AM
KRYPTON -

My guess is there are lawyers going over things on both sides. Fran's contract was up on the agenda at a recetn Board of Regents meeting although what they discussed or concluded is not known. There are newletters still missing and the University is trying to get ahold of them .... this isn't ending with todays press conference.

As a side note, Bill Byrne listed the parties making public records requests, there are a host of media people, but also some law firms and former Aggie QB Reggie McNeal's dad.

SoonerBOI
10/11/2007, 10:58 AM
Fran, what are you thinking?

tulsaoilerfan
10/11/2007, 11:01 AM
As much $ as he is making, i can't see how that he would need this to pay for whatever it is he supposedly used the $ for; idiot

snp
10/11/2007, 11:03 AM
Ninja -

I understand this but I'd still take dumb cheerleaders who can't spell over the Core and yell leaders wearing overalls.

humblesooner
10/11/2007, 11:06 AM
This letter says to me that A&M has found the crack they were looking for to void the rest of Fran's contract at the end of the season, if they decide to.

However, if he is able to beat the 'sips again on Thanksgiving Weekend (who the hell came up with T+1?), Fran will be given a substantial raise and contract extension.

Dio
10/11/2007, 11:11 AM
The Cult admonishes Fran and reports him to the NCAA

What does Ian Astbury have to do with crappy football?

Curly Bill
10/11/2007, 11:19 AM
What does Ian Astbury have to do with crappy football?

Heh.

The Cult was/is awesome. I especially liked Sweet Soul Sister.

swardboy
10/11/2007, 11:22 AM
As much $ as he is making, i can't see how that he would need this to pay for whatever it is he supposedly used the $ for; idiot

Same here. Unless the paranoia is so great that Fran thought "being tight" with money people by providing them inside info. provided him some job security....ironic, huh?

jrsooner
10/11/2007, 02:28 PM
I was being a smartass but then I saw 2 others joined me and felt it was a little much :OI think it's funny that 3 of us thought of it at the same time. :P

But on the other side.. it's basically a reprimand to Fran on his actions, and he's probably going to have to fire his buddy because of it.

The next thing is...

7 infractions for Aggies (https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/LSDBi/LSDBi.MajorInfPackage.SearchAndDisplayList?p_Schoo l1=texas+a%26m&p_School_Num1=&p_School2=big+12&p_School_Num2=&p_Case_Division=0&p_Date_Radio=1&p_Month1=JAN&p_Day1=1&p_Year1=1953&p_Month2=OCT&p_Day2=11&p_Year2=2007&p_Sport1=Any&p_SportAndOr_1=0&p_Sport2=Any&p_SportAndOr_2=0&p_Sport3=Any&p_TV_Penalty=10&p_Postseason_Penalty=10&p_Probation_Penalty=10&p_Division=0&p_bylaw_radio1=0&p_Bylaw=0&p_Article=&p_Contains_Clause1=1&p_SearchWords1=&p_Inword1=heading&p_Boolean1=and&p_Contains_Clause2=1&p_SearchWords2=&p_Inword2=heading&p_Boolean2=and&p_Contains_Clause3=1&p_SearchWords3=&p_Inword3=heading&p_Button=Go+Search)

When does the NCAA start breathing down their necks for the hammer to drop. :)

fadada1
10/11/2007, 03:01 PM
Since it's A&M, he'll probably have to sleep without sheep for a few nights, and may have to polish some boots.
[aggy] so what's the punishment? [aggy]

TexasLidig8r
10/11/2007, 03:21 PM
This letter says to me that A&M has found the crack they were looking for to void the rest of Fran's contract at the end of the season, if they decide to.

However, if he is able to beat the 'sips again on Thanksgiving Weekend (who the hell came up with T+1?), Fran will be given a substantial raise and contract extension.

Ding Ding Ding.. and we have a winnah!

Oh.. and ABC came up with the T+1... bizastards. :mad:

goingoneight
10/11/2007, 07:11 PM
Heh, www.coachfran.com had a "countdown to kickoff..." now it's "countdown to "kick out!" :D

josh09
10/11/2007, 07:14 PM
Yep, hes a goner.

badger
10/11/2007, 08:44 PM
Ding Ding Ding.. and we have a winning avatah!
fixxy fix fix fixed :D

TexasLidig8r
10/12/2007, 08:59 AM
Here's Coach Cupcake's contract...

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/sports/salary_texas_am_fb.pdf

aggy probably has at least 2, if not 3, clauses they can rely on to terminate him for cause and thereby, get out from any payout.

Expect a quiet settlement in December with Coach Cupcake resigning before aggy plays in the Poulan, Weedeater, Independence Bowl.

JohnnyMack
10/12/2007, 09:27 AM
Expect a quiet settlement in December with Coach Cupcake resigning before aggy plays in the Poulan, Weedeater, Independence Bowl.

You're not in much of a position to talk "bowl smack" right now, San Diego boy.

Animal Mother
10/12/2007, 10:35 AM
Why would anyone hire a coach that lost to John Blake at their own house yet???
Bigger question.Why would OU hire John Blake?

Theskipster
10/12/2007, 11:40 AM
From the Dallas Morning news

COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne said he spent 2½ hours reading football coach Dennis Franchione's secret e-mail newsletter, the "VIP Connection." He grew more upset with each page.

"When I first saw it, I was just very surprised," Byrne said. "The one thing you don't share is your morning injury report. I saw that and said, 'This is not OK.' "

Byrne left no doubt Thursday that Franchione's job is now in jeopardy.

During a morning news conference, Byrne said he admonished Franchione and ordered his personal Web site, CoachFran.com, shut down immediately. Byrne also fired Mike McKenzie, the author of the VIP e-mails, a part-time A&M employee and Franchione's personal assistant.

Mac94
10/12/2007, 12:08 PM
Unconfirmed rumors are that he's done .... negotations going on behind the scenes on how the "exit" will occur and about the buyout. Rumor is that our record what matter anymore ... Frans gonna be gone. All unconfirmed but its been on the radio in Houston and on a few A&M web sites. We'll see.

It does seem that behind the public mask that Bill Byrne is royally ticked off right now.

OUDoc
10/12/2007, 12:14 PM
he spent 2½ hours reading football coach Dennis Franchione's secret e-mail newsletter
Maybe he should have a a nut-squeezer read it to him. Surely they have a tradition for that as well.

Mac94
10/12/2007, 12:17 PM
OUDoc -

Nah, this secret e-mail stuff is to new .... as we say in Aggieland ... "if it happens once its an accident, if it happens twice its tradition." We're still on the first time / accident part of all of this. ;)

aurorasooner
10/12/2007, 12:36 PM
Unconfirmed rumors are that he's done .... negotations going on behind the scenes on how the "exit" will occur and about the buyout. Rumor is that our record what matter anymore ... Frans gonna be gone. All unconfirmed but its been on the radio in Houston and on a few A&M web sites. We'll see. With the aTm schedule I don't think it could possibly happen, but if Fran wins the south, does Byrne pull a Pederson and pull the plug on him anyway? After all that's transpired I was fixing to take TCEH and the points, but I'm having 2nd thoughts on that. Aggies just may pull a last-years-type-back-to-the-wall-whorn-upset Saturday, although I will be surprised in Lubbock if Leach doesn't put at least 50 up on them. One thing's for sure, with JaPorkey guaranteeing a win, and all the press from that Vick'em shirt, that place will be rockin' Saturday.

TexasLidig8r
10/12/2007, 01:27 PM
Of course, right now, we're just looking at the tip of the iceberg. Apparently, emails from last November to present have been produced. This little secret society purportedly went back as far as three years.

The thread on hornfans (assuming the flippin' site isn't down) which goes into some of the VIP emails is gold.

badger
10/12/2007, 01:34 PM
Of course, right now, we're just looking at the tip of the iceberg. Apparently, emails from last November to present have been produced. This little secret society purportedly went back as far as three years.

The thread on hornfans (assuming the flippin' site isn't down) which goes into some of the VIP emails is gold.
So...um... how would you feel about Major Applewhite leading A&M over Texas to victory, because that's the Internet rumors, you know :D

humblesooner
10/12/2007, 01:44 PM
Oh.. and ABC came up with the T+1... bizastards. :mad:

Not tring to jack this thread or anything, but is that really true?
If it is, you guys should be able to kill it on your own.

TexasLidig8r
10/12/2007, 03:09 PM
So...um... how would you feel about Major Applewhite leading A&M over Texas to victory, because that's the Internet rumors, you know :D

They also have Tedford from Cal.. Tuberville from Allbarn... Spurrier from SoCarolina... and of course.. some want to bring back the glory days of.. Jackie Sherrill !

Gold.. I tell you.

Oh.. and I am slowly poisoning Greg Davis' beer.. he will be gone after this year (although, to give the devil his due, he called a fairly good game last week) so Major can assume the OC chores in Austin.

OUDoc
10/12/2007, 04:02 PM
Oh.. and I am slowly poisoning Greg Davis' beer.. he will be gone after this year (although, to give the devil his due, he called a fairly good game last week) so Major can assume the OC chores in Austin.
Actually, it's CO for Correctional Officer, not OC......... oh, you meant Offensive Coordinator. Sorry, my bad.

aurorasooner
10/12/2007, 04:11 PM
They also have Tedford from Cal.. Tuberville from Allbarn... Spurrier from SoCarolina... and of course.. some want to bring back the glory days of.. Jackie Sherrill !

Gold.. I tell you. I read some of those dreamer posts on the rival's national board earlier. I hope Iowa State has Chizek iron clad locked up for a while. I could see him pulling a Dennis Erickson and bolting back to Texas if the Ags threw about 2.5 mil at him. That would be the s&^%z. I always thought aTm would make a play for Kubiak to replace Arcee, since he's an Ag. I'm really glad that guy likes the pro gig. Would the Houston Texans OC Sherman be interested?

DBrown
10/12/2007, 04:35 PM
BTW-Just prior to last season,Gene Stallings was welcomed to the A&M
board of regents.
Gene's made it no secret that he remembers what Fran did to the University of Alabama....THAT'S MR. STALLINGS TO YOU "fran"!
fran....what goes around comes around and the University you "USED" as a
"stepping stone" is delighted beyond description at your situation!
I hope OU and the rest of your scheduled opposition make OU's 77-0
drubbing of you look like a church social!

JLB
10/12/2007, 04:40 PM
Frans a POS.Giving out daily reports about injured student athletes is one of the sorriest things I have ever read.
I hope his *** gets fired soon.

SoonerTerry
10/12/2007, 04:46 PM
Main Entry: ad·mon·ish
Pronunciation: ad-'mä-nish
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English admonesten, from Anglo-French amonester, from Vulgar Latin *admonestare, alteration of Latin admonEre to warn, from ad- + monEre to warn -- more at MIND
1 a : to indicate duties or obligations to b : to express warning or disapproval to especially in a gentle, earnest, or solicitous manner
2 : to give friendly earnest advice or encouragement to
synonym see REPROVE
- ad·mon·ish·er noun
- ad·mon·ish·ing·ly /-ni-shi[ng]-lE/ adverb
- ad·mon·ish·ment /-m&nt/ noun

You see the girl spinin clockwise dont you

trwxxa
10/12/2007, 06:55 PM
I read some of those dreamer posts on the rival's national board earlier. I hope Iowa State has Chizek iron clad locked up for a while. I could see him pulling a Dennis Erickson and bolting back to Texas if the Ags threw about 2.5 mil at him. That would be the s&^%z. I always thought aTm would make a play for Kubiak to replace Arcee, since he's an Ag. I'm really glad that guy likes the pro gig. Would the Houston Texans OC Sherman be interested?

Sherman still thinks he can get another pro gig.

Whoever the new HC is, I would not be surprised to see Mikey come over as DC, unless he pulls a miracle in Tucson.

Flagstaffsooner
10/12/2007, 07:31 PM
The funny thing about this is that aTm is going to report this stuff to the ncaa. Like they haven't heard?

Animal Mother
10/14/2007, 04:01 PM
Sherman still thinks he can get another pro gig.

Whoever the new HC is, I would not be surprised to see Mikey come over as DC, unless he pulls a miracle in Tucson.

Speculation or have you heard this somewhere besides the voices that speak to you at night?