PDA

View Full Version : Really good writeup on the use of the TE vs. a Cover 2

Frozen Sooner
10/11/2007, 02:03 AM
I know this is something that people around here have been talking about a lot over the last week. Here's a really really good writeup about attacking the cover 2 in the NFL. Yes, I know, he's talking about the Tampa Bay variation on the cover 2, but OU's cover 2 is very similar.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/071009&sportCat=nfl

The tight end, the secret to NFL success
Easterbrook

By Gregg Easterbrook
Special to Page 2

Attention, NFL coaches: There are a couple of guys on your roster who can both block and catch. They're open a lot. So why don't you throw to them? The guys I am talking about are tight ends.

Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Indianapolis, Jersey/A, Kansas City, New England, Pittsburgh, San Diego and Washington are running offenses that feature the tight end. Who's on that list? The NFL's three undefeated clubs, plus a team that put up 41 points at 5,280 feet in Denver on Sunday, plus a couple of other winning teams. Monday night, Terrell Owens was shut down cold and tight end Jason Witten was the Cowboys' receiving star, with nine catches for 103 yards and a touchdown. True, it might be so that the Colts, Cowboys and Patriots are getting good tight end production because they have the league's best offenses right now and every aspect of their play is superior. But Tuesday Morning Quarterback suspects one reason these teams are winning is because they are featuring the tight end.

The Tampa 2 pass defense that has infected the league makes it hard for wide receivers to get open. On most downs against a Tampa 2, there are more defensive backs than wide receivers and the safeties are deep to prevent big plays. (Attention, sportscasters, there is nothing mystical about the Tampa 2; it's basically a zone with each safety covering half the deep field. In fact, it might be easier for audiences if you just called this defense "a zone.") But the same properties that make the most popular defense of the moment hard on wide receivers are inviting to tight ends. In a traditional pass-coverage set, there's a strong safety on the tight end and a free safety deep. In a Tampa 2, there's no distinction between the strong and free safeties and both are deep; this means the tight end is covered by a linebacker. A tight end who's covered by a linebacker is an attractive target: Witten's touchdown Monday night came against a linebacker, not a safety. Add to this the fact that the tight end is a big guy, and quarterbacks love tall targets. Add that the vulnerable area of a Tampa 2 is the "seam" where cornerback responsibility stops and safety coverage begins; the seam is a part of the field of which the quarterback usually has a good view.

Roll these things together, and modern NFL quarterbacks absolutely should be looking for their tight ends in linebacker coverage in the seam. The Colts, Cowboys and Patriots, especially, are doing exactly that, with swell results. Dallas Clark of Indianapolis and Ben Watson of New England each have five touchdown receptions this season; among wide receivers, only Randy Moss and Plaxico Burress have more. Jason Witten of Dallas, Chris Cooley of Washington and Antonio Gates of San Diego have three touchdown catches apiece, outpacing most wide receivers at this stage of the season. This season, teams that feature the tight end are getting great results. And historically, teams that feature the tight end usually do well. Joe Montana and Steve Young were always looking for Brent Jones. Troy Aikman was always looking for Jay Novacek.

So why don't more NFL teams throw to the tight end? One reason is fundamental: Bad teams don't use smart strategy. Another reason, I think, is the dynamic of practices and walk-throughs. During practice, the quarterback wears a red pinny and can't be hit, and defensive backs often are told to allow quarterbacks and receivers to get their timing down. The result is that in practice, quarterbacks look for long throws to wide receivers rather than dropping the ball off to the tight end; completing a long throw in practice gets a round of applause. At game speed, the quarterback might wish he were better at finding the tight end, but by then it's too late. Hank Stram used to stand behind Len Dawson during Kansas City scrimmages and scream, "Tight end! Where's the tight end?" Dawson became really good at locating the tight end under game pressure; more coaches should teach this.

Another factor that's taking tight ends out of offenses is that with the increasing emphasis among offensive coordinators on preventing sacks -- teams have so much bonus money invested in quarterbacks that it's bad economics to let them get sacked -- tight ends are being kept back to pass block. The call "max protect" has been heard almost as much this season as "shotgun spread." The teams making good use of their tight ends as receivers also tend to be teams with the best offensive lines. Indianapolis and New England have surrendered a league-low three sacks apiece; because the offensive line performs well, the tight end is free to run patterns. The Redskins, Cowboys, Chargers, Ravens and Giants are low sacks-allowed teams, and hence are free to use their tight ends. After this Sunday's game against Tennessee, Falcons tight end Alge Crumpler blew up about his diminishing role in the Atlanta offense. The Falcons have surrendered 18 sacks; Atlanta coaches are keeping Crumpler in to block. Want to drive defenses to distraction with your tight end? First, build a good offensive line.

OUHOMER
10/11/2007, 04:57 AM
nice read thanks

KRYPTON
10/11/2007, 09:35 AM
That's a great synopsis of how a lot of teams have been able to make our defense look bad. Go underneath the safeties right down the gut, preferably with a TE.

This is where Lew Baker, Nic Harris, or Lendy Holmes could really run up some big plays if allowed to roam the middle. It's not like our front 6 in that case is going to barf against the running game, especially if LB's are allowed to blitz more and cover less.

BornandBred
10/11/2007, 09:45 AM
This explains why the TE is often seen abusing #8. I love the guy, he's got great heart, but Reynolds is not the best coverage guy. I hope we come up with a game plan to shut down the MU TE other than LB coverage.

SoonerRecon
10/11/2007, 10:02 AM
we got burned by the tx TE because Venables was blitzing our safeties. they weren't hiding it well, and mccoy made us pay. if we don't put a safety over the top this weekend, Reynolds/Lofton will get toasted by the 2 mizzou TEs. they don't have any dangerous wideouts, so i expect us to blitz from the corners. best case scenario is that the D line gets pressure and we don't have to blitz much.

handcrafted
10/11/2007, 10:19 AM
You know, there is something to be said for actually learning stuff about football strategy.

After some research, I'm now clued in to the actual point of running a Cover 2 and its inherent weaknesses. I'm no longer going to get so uptight when other teams have some success moving the ball on us. If you have good offensive athletes you can gain yardage on a cover 2 and put some points up. But against a good team (like us :)) it will be a grind to do it and unless your D is really good you will get outscored anyway.

I'm going to watch with a different eye now. It might make my blood pressure more manageable. :D

JohnnyMack
10/11/2007, 10:26 AM
Don't fool yourself into thinking Rucker & Coffman are going to spend a great deal of time down in a three point stance and try and slip behind No. 8. They tend to spread out and line up in the slots more often than not and try and create size mismatches against DBs.

I think they will exploit that hole in the cover 2 zone, but more of what we saw from CU and less of the error we made in alignment against Saxet.

jduggle
10/11/2007, 10:28 AM
I think Stoops was commited to stopping the run against Texas and the linebackers were charged with the responibility of that task. Mizzou is a different animal and I think you'll see the linebackers paying special attention to the Rucker.

KRYPTON
10/11/2007, 10:54 AM
Yeah, Stoops's strategy is

1. Stop the run
2. Stop the run
3. Stop the run
4. Prevent long plays

That's a big part of why our LB's stink in pass coverage - they're worrying about items #1 through #3 and hoping the DB's remember #4, but if the DB's get suckered by fakes or don't keep themselves in good position, uh oh...

tulsaoilerfan
10/11/2007, 11:05 AM
I wish we would throw to Gresham about 8x a game myself

OUmillenium
10/11/2007, 11:21 AM
This is a great thread, very therapeutic for me, excellent info in the original Tampa 2 article

PLaw
10/11/2007, 11:35 AM
This explains why the TE is often seen abusing #8. I love the guy, he's got great heart, but Reynolds is not the best coverage guy. I hope we come up with a game plan to shut down the MU TE other than LB coverage.

Back off of No. 8 - any TE with WR like speed will abuse any LB in a cover 2 scheme, period. J. Finley is that type of guy. Gresh is that type of guy.

I don't understand why we don't go nickle, which we are in a lot of the time in cover 2, but put the Nic Harris type safety on the TE. The coaches made this adjustment in the RRS and shut down Finley in H2. Bottom line, if the TE has speed, then just start out with this scheme.

BOOMER
PLaw

aurorasooner
10/11/2007, 11:36 AM
Spek to you for the article. I agree with the author. If don't know WTF cover 2 is, it would be confusing. It's just a matter of getting the matchups, the offensive coordinator recognizing it, and making the QB aware of the read, and the QB finding the correct matchup. The problem for QBs is obviously defenses that disguise their cover 2 and zone/man (which imo we don't do enough of and I don't know why). They guy who posted, our D-philosophy is to stop the run and not get beat deep first, is exactly correct. It sure is easier to play the Stoops D, when you've got a couple of guys like Strait and Everage on the corners.

Frozen Sooner
10/11/2007, 12:44 PM
In particular, a point that he makes that I think is outstanding is that teams with good offensive lines can get their TEs into the pattern more often and have more success that way. OU wasn't getting great pressure on McCoy in the first half last weekend. That changed in the second half.

SoonerJack
10/11/2007, 01:15 PM
That's good stuff right there.

SoonerRecon
10/11/2007, 02:38 PM
i'd like to see Stoops use Lendy Holmes to man up with one of those TEs. i think thats the best matchup we can get.

47straight
10/11/2007, 03:17 PM
Funny how offensive success once again is keyed on the fat ugly 5 guys up front.

OU Adonis
10/11/2007, 03:21 PM
A cover two is what we run and its different (albiet slightly) from a Tampa 2

Cover 2 Defense and zone responsibilities.

http://www.seahawks.com/ConFiles/Con5968/Cover2_280.gif

The middle linebacker plays more shallow and does not cover the middle deep part of the field like he does in the tampa 2.

Tampa 2 zone responsibilities

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/images/Tampa2Diagram.gif

Regardless. Any sort of zone you can match up a tight end on a linebacker because linebackers all cover a specific area of the field in a zone, and if you want to match one up on a linebacker you run a route to do that.

Best offense ever for the win (Bonus diagram included)

http://hometown.aol.com/onscreen88/images/wishbone%2046.jpg

BornandBred
10/11/2007, 03:41 PM
Everybody loses a step or two when you blowout a knee. So I don't blame him for being a step slower. Hell, JW lost two knees and 3 steps by the end of it all, but he still performed.

Football has always been about matchups, getting a freak like Germain manned on a linebacker is a golden opportunity. That is a coaching thing. MU is known for their TE's and I think it's important we make the coaching decisions early to keep our LB's out of mismatches against their talented TEs. Putting Reynolds on an island against Rucker all game is a losing proposition, and thats not Ryans fault. It will HAVE to happen sometimes, blitzes and all. But the Dcoord needs to give him some help the rest of the time. I think our coaches will either give him support with a safety over top, or they will do their best to match personnel. It will be interesting to see how our coaches scheme this game.

TripleOption14
10/11/2007, 05:12 PM
OU's cover 2 would work just fine if they did ONE THING......

TACKLE THE FRIGGIN GUY WHEN HE CATCHES THE 7 YD. UNDERNEATH CRAP!!!!

Your willing to give up the 7 yd pass completion; fine then make sure someone friggin tackles so that 7 yd play does not turn into a 45 yd catch & run. That's OU's biggest problem!!

OUinFLA
10/11/2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks Mike, that was informative.

Will
10/11/2007, 11:33 PM
BOOMER SOONER! AUSTIN ENGLISH IS GOING TO DOMINATE SO IT DOESN'T MATTER!

tulsaoilerfan
10/12/2007, 03:32 PM
Spek to you for the article. I agree with the author. If don't know WTF cover 2 is, it would be confusing. It's just a matter of getting the matchups, the offensive coordinator recognizing it, and making the QB aware of the read, and the QB finding the correct matchup. The problem for QBs is obviously defenses that disguise their cover 2 and zone/man (which imo we don't do enough of and I don't know why). They guy who posted, our D-philosophy is to stop the run and not get beat deep first, is exactly correct. It sure is easier to play the Stoops D, when you've got a couple of guys like Strait and Everage on the corners.
Everage was a safety; you are thinking of Woolfolk

TopDawg
10/12/2007, 03:57 PM
OU's cover 2 would work just fine if they did ONE THING......

TACKLE THE FRIGGIN GUY WHEN HE CATCHES THE 7 YD. UNDERNEATH CRAP!!!!

Your willing to give up the 7 yd pass completion; fine then make sure someone friggin tackles so that 7 yd play does not turn into a 45 yd catch & run. That's OU's biggest problem!!

Yeah, the 45 yard catch and run is no fun, but CU killed us on 3rd downs by turning a 5 yard curl under the zone and short of the sticks into an 8 yard first down because our LBs took bad angles or were too far away.