View Full Version : Yall Know why every Navy ship has Marines on it

olevetonahill
10/10/2007, 10:48 PM
Dont Ya ?
Sheep would be to Obvious . :D

SoonerBacker
10/11/2007, 05:42 AM
Actually, it's because the Navy serves as the Marine Corps' "taxi service."
The Marines that are stationed aboard the ship are just there to make sure the squids don't turn tail before they get the Marines to the fight.

Squids are kind enough to transport the Marines to wherever the fighting is going on. Then the squids run off and start drinking their coffee while the Marines are kickin the enemy"s a$$!!!

SoonerKnight
10/11/2007, 07:20 AM
Actually, it's because the Navy serves as the Marine Corps' "taxi service."
The Marines that are stationed aboard the ship are just there to make sure the squids don't turn tail before they get the Marines to the fight.

Squids are kind enough to transport the Marines to wherever the fighting is going on. Then the squids run off and start drinking their coffee while the Marines are kickin the enemy"s a$$!!!

And while the Marines are kicking that A$$ they are screaming "coreman" and the medic runs through fire without a weapon and tries to help those Marines. What branch is a Hospital Coreman part of? The Navy! Oh and the landing craft are driven by Boatswain's Mate's who are being shot at and have to make sure the Marines arrive on the beach. That Navy they sure don't do anything! :D I'd hate to see a bunch of Marines try and run a ship!! LOL :pop:

David Earl
10/11/2007, 07:36 AM
This thread belongs somewhere else.

soonerloyal
10/11/2007, 07:41 AM
Corpsmen are considered Marines to those guys...they train with Marines as part of their education, and they wear the MARPAT cammies just like the Marines they take care of. If you want to see some p***ed-off Devil Dogs, badmouth a Corpsman in front of them.

Some of the most incredible men I've ever met were Corpsmen during 'Nam. Every time one of those Marines see them again, those big bads tear up like you wouldn't believe. Soldiers are pretty fond of their Medics as well.

As for the original question..."Yall Know why every Navy ship has Marines on it ?"...if you have to ask, .... :D

Thanks again, olevet, for bringing a much-needed smile into my day. You're awesome, as usual.
(((((((HUG)))))))

Edited to say, I'm sorry, Mr. Earl. Didn't mean to add any trouble.

SoonerKnight
10/11/2007, 08:07 AM
Corpsmen are considered Marines to those guys...they train with Marines as part of their education, and they wear the MARPAT cammies just like the Marines they take care of. If you want to see some p***ed-off Devil Dogs, badmouth a Corpsman in front of them.

Actually I served in U.S. Navy for 6 years and as for the Corpsman yes they are considered a Marine by the Marines and they train with them except they also are Navy through and through. I was a Master-At-Arms as well as a Boatswain's Mate. I wore cammies while a MA. Same cammies the Marines wore boy did they get confused when I walked by even got stopped by a Gunnery Sgt. trying to hit me on my uniform. I politely mentioned "you know it does say Navy on my uniform." I then explained to him Navy Uniform regs and how we wear our cammies and if I hear another "oohrah" or whatever it was they were yelling it'll be too soon! But seriously the Marines have a tough job to do but the Navy is in the thick of it right now either through patrolling the shipping lanes in the Middle East with the big ships or patrolling the ports over their in the patrol craft to guarding convoys through Iraq. The Navy has changed a lot in the last few years.

101sooner
10/11/2007, 08:08 AM
AIR ASSAULT!!!!!!!!!!!

TheHumanAlphabet
10/11/2007, 08:13 AM
I don't know if it is still the case, but the landing craft drivers in WWII were Coasties. Marines continue to salute the statue of the Coastie driver killed in the Pacific and awarded the CMH becuase he lost his life laying down covering fire on the beach for the guys in his craft.

SoonerKnight
10/11/2007, 08:36 AM
I don't know if it is still the case, but the landing craft drivers in WWII were Coasties. Marines continue to salute the statue of the Coastie driver killed in the Pacific and awarded the CMH becuase he lost his life laying down covering fire on the beach for the guys in his craft.

Well I tell ya what that exam I took to get promoted had a lot of stupid questions about landing craft and I was a Boatswain's Mate and that is a primary job of a BM not the Coast guard of today. Why I had to know all that I'll neve know but I did and I passed the test! Coast Guard nowadays is usually on those cutters or they work on Navy ships conducting Drug OPs. Let me tell ya taking a RHIB boat over to a freight ship and climbing aboard the ship can be harrowing I mean your a sitting duck trying to climb the latter to the top of the ship not know whats coming at ya. Also, that's how the British sailors got captured by Iran. Why the British Navy positioned their bid ship the way they di I'll never understand. The U.S. Navy doesn't allow anything between the small boat and the big ship so that the big ship can and WILL provide cover fire for the "Boarding Party." I have seen it where we almost blew so ships out of the water because they thought they could get a way with it. The U.S. Navy after the attack on the U.S.S. Stark the Navy changed a lot of procedures. It is an interesting story we use what happen on the Stark for training to this day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Stark_(FFG-31)

soonerloyal
10/11/2007, 08:41 AM
The Coast Guard doesn't get nearly the attention or the respect they so clearly deserve. What they accomplish and how much they cover just boggles the mind. Their training is impressive, as well. They too, do much with very little.

SoonerKnight, you do know that Gunny was giving you a backhanded compliment, right? My middle son says, "If you're gonna hang with the best, make sure your six is squared away like the best."
OOH-RAH!

Yes, I really enjoy reading military history. It should be more often-taught in the civilian world. Thanks for that link, it's been a while since I've read about that.

SoonerKnight
10/11/2007, 09:29 AM
The Coast Guard doesn't get nearly the attention or the respect they so clearly deserve. What they accomplish and how much they cover just boggles the mind. Their training is impressive, as well. They too, do much with very little.

SoonerKnight, you do know that Gunny was giving you a backhanded compliment, right? My middle son says, "If you're gonna hang with the best, make sure your six is squared away like the best."
OOH-RAH!

Yes, I really enjoy reading military history. It should be more often-taught in the civilian world. Thanks for that link, it's been a while since I've read about that.

It wasn't the Gunny that gave the OOH-Rah. It was everytime I passed a dang Marine. We worked on the same side of the building with the Marines and so I entered always on the Marine side. The Coast Guard does do a lot. But I tell ya when I was stationed up in Everett, WA the Coasty's pulled in. They had a small ship and we had to moor their lines for them. Funny thing was their skipper didn't like how they were throwing the line to shore after asbout 30 throws and 20 mins we had to remind their skipper that we were not there for their training and since it was chow time it was either moor up or go back out to sea because it was chow time. I still don't get what that skipper was all upset about with his crew.:eek:

By the way i brought up the U.S.S. Stark becauseI have seen the video of how they were attacked and the video of how fast the crew responded to that attack. It is amazing what they did. If they had not responded as fast as they did that ship would have been lost. Some of those sailors died indirect of the attack. They were locked in the compartment and could not get out they died try to save that ship. The sailors on the outside of the compartment the ones that had to lock the compartment still agonize over what they had to do. We trained to be ready to have to either die saving the ship or having to lock your bestfriend in their "death chamber" kinda sucks.

usmc-sooner
10/11/2007, 09:41 AM
OOH-Rah

olevetonahill
10/11/2007, 09:52 AM
All Jokes aside , I respect every one of our branchs of service . well maybe not the A/F so much :P

SoonerKnight
10/11/2007, 10:24 AM
All Jokes aside , I respect every one of our branchs of service . well maybe not the A/F so much :P
Did you know that the A/F Band is their speacial forces? I mean they have to be since they arrived in Bahgdad ahead of the main troops! LOL! :) :pop:

soonermarkus
10/11/2007, 12:30 PM
Having served in the Navy for 5 years, on the USS Peleliu which is an amphib so it carried thousands of Marines...and in Combat Camera which documents all combat ops and having served two tours in Iraq with the Marines....I will say that even with all the $hit giving between the services...they all respect each other, and know that each has their own job to do...and they all do it perfectly!!! And with that said, I would like to nominate myself for longest run on sentence ever...thank you...

soonerloyal
10/11/2007, 01:11 PM
Yep. I'm a SAC brat, from back when there was at least one part of the USAF that was squared away. Every single branch is vital and has its place in the defense of our great nation.

The USMC has the front. :D

This is for SoonerKnight:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a14/KevAndLori/Posting%20Photos/ThisIsYourBrain.jpg

Love ya, guy. LOL

Tulsa_Fireman
10/11/2007, 01:39 PM
Is it because they like to ride on things that are long, hard, and full of seamen?

:O

Harry Beanbag
10/11/2007, 05:35 PM
Yes. :)