PDA

View Full Version : Ooooh. Another Noose Sighting.

KABOOKIE
10/10/2007, 03:27 PM
I'm betting spek this noose was placed there by someone of the same race.....

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/10/columbia.noose/index.html

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A rally Wednesday afternoon at Columbia University was held to protest the discovery of a noose on the office door of an African-American professor.

Madonna Constantine is a professor of psychology and education at Columbia University's Teachers College.

1 of 2 The noose was found Tuesday at Columbia's Teachers College, said Joe Levine, executive director for external affairs at Teachers College.

The New York Police Department is investigating the matter as a hate crime.

The apparent target, Madonna Constantine, 44, is a professor of psychology and education at Teachers College. She co-wrote the book "Addressing Racism: Facilitating Cultural Competence in Mental Health and Educational Settings."

The noose apparently was placed on the office door sometime before 9 a.m. ET Tuesday, Levine said.

Police received a 911 call concerning the noose about 9:45 a.m. Tuesday. They were told it was on the fourth floor of Teachers College.

Security cameras monitor the entrance to the building, but there are none in the hallway where the noose was discovered, Levine added.

The building, which is open 24 hours a day, is accessible only to those with a Teachers College ID card or other credentials, he said

Reacting to the news, more than 150 undergraduates attended a meeting Tuesday night on campus, and more than 120 Teachers College students expressed outrage at a gathering in their dining hall as well, according to the student-run newspaper Columbia Spectator.

Don't Miss
Columbia Spectator
Coast Guard tries to deal with noose incidents
Student says she's sorry for 'Jena 6' re-enactment
University President Lee Bollinger denounced the incident in a statement released to the Spectator: "This is an assault on African-Americans and therefore it is an assault on every one of us. I know I speak on behalf of every member of our communities in condemning this horrible action."

Teachers College President Susan Fuhrman said that she and the community "deplore this hateful act."

Wednesday's protest started around 2 p.m. A town hall meeting for professors, students and staff is set for 3:30 p.m. It will be closed to the public.

Columbia has had a spate of bias-related incidents in recent years, but Levine said, "I've never seen anything like this here."

Student Liz Tortu said students received a university e-mail describing the incident. "I was just stunned," she said. "I would never think something like that would happen here. I was just very surprised and saddened also."

The student paper reported the noose's discovery came on the heels of several recent politically and racially charged events at Columbia, including the controversial visit of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

It also follows news reports of racial tensions in Jena, Louisiana, that attracted national attention. In the "Jena 6" case, white students in the small town hung nooses from a schoolyard tree after black students sat under it. Marchers last month protested how authorities handled the cases of six black teenagers accused of beating a white student after the noose incident.

Constantine has been recognized for her work by the Society of Counseling Psychology and the Society of the Psychological Study of Ethnic Minority Issues, and she received an Outstanding Research Award from the American Counseling Association.

She is on the editorial boards of the Journal of Counseling Psychology, Journal of Multicultural Counseling and Development and Journal of Black Psychology.

Teachers College has more than 5,000 graduate students and 165 faculty members, according to school officials. E-mail to a friend

SicEmBaylor
10/10/2007, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the woman put it there herself.
You never know though -- there are plenty of crazies out there so who knows.

What a stupid *** thing to do.

yermom
10/10/2007, 03:44 PM
i hope i have the clarity of mind to call 911 if i ever see a noose. i think i might just be traumatized. what happens if i just freeze up and forget to cause a media frenzy or something?