PDA

View Full Version : JaPorkey guarantees aTm win over Tech. He's a man, Can say what he wants

aurorasooner
10/10/2007, 01:01 PM
Texas A&M back promises to end 14-year drought in Lubbock.

Web Posted: 10/09/2007 11:38 PM CDT

Brent Zwerneman
Express-News Staff Writer

COLLEGE STATION — Jorvorskie Lane owns a reputation for bowling over opponents. On Tuesday, the 275-pound Texas A&M tailback got rolling from 450 miles southeast of Lubbock.

Whether he records a strike or a gutter ball will be determined on Saturday at Jones AT&T Stadium, when the league-leading Aggies (5-1, 2-0 in Big 12) and Texas Tech (5-1, 1-1) clash at 2:30 p.m.

When told that the Aggies haven't won at Tech since 1993 — or about the time he was in kindergarten — Lane offered a pledge at A&M's weekly news conference.

"We're going to win in 2007," he said. "That's a guarantee. I promise you."

Asked what coach Dennis Franchione, who had spoken to reporters earlier, might think of such a bold prediction, Lane shrugged.

"I'm a man," he said. "I can say what I want to say."

Tech has won Franchione's two previous games in Lubbock by a combined 70 points — but such a fact didn't faze Lane.

"Nothing can break us," he said.

About the same time Lane was taking a stand on Tuesday, so was Tech. The university announced that it was banning the sale of a T-shirt on campus that showed a dog hanging from a leash held by a drawing of a football player wearing Michael Vick's No. 7.

"I guess that was supposed to Reveille," A&M safety Devin Gregg said, shaking his head. "I didn't appreciate that."

Reveille is A&M's mascot. Vick, who is suspended from the NFL, has pleaded guilty to federal dogfighting charges, and has admitted to killing dogs. The T-shirts, designed and sold by a Tech student, said, "Vick 'Em" on the front, mocking A&M's "Gig 'Em," and featured the drawing on the back.

"We will not permit individual students or any student organization to profit from selling merchandise on campus that is derogatory, inflammatory, insensitive, or in such bad taste that it reflects negatively on this fine institution, its students, athletic teams, alumni or faculty," Tech president Jon Whitmore said in a statement.

Meanwhile the Red Raiders have treated the Aggies insensitively in Lubbock over the last 14 years, winning six consecutive games in that span.

"Our fans are going to be wild, and it's going to be exciting," Tech quarterback Graham Harrell said of Saturday's showdown. "When you make a big play at home, the crowd gets going, and you kind of feed off of that with momentum and stuff."

Back in College Station, A&M fans and students are reminding the players of plenty of other stuff — mainly Tech's six-game winning streak in Lubbock.

Quarterback Stephen McGee said the Aggies plan to draw upon their comeback last weekend against Oklahoma State, when they overcame a 17-0 halftime deficit to prevail 24-23, but that Saturday's contest at Tech isn't a must-win game.

"I don't ever feel like a season rides on one game," he said. "Win or lose."

Speaking of winning, A&M cornerback Danny Gorrer's eyes grew wide when told Lane had predicted a victory against the Red Raiders, who own the nation's top offense.

"Wow," Gorrer said, chuckling. "I'm not going to take it as far as Jorvorskie. But I'll get on his back. I feel strongly that we can beat Tech. But we also have to play all four quarters of the game."

OUMallen
10/10/2007, 01:06 PM

WOW! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, what a quote!!!

I MUST BREAK YOU!!!!!

http://images.musicclub.it/foto/iv/big/Ivan_Drago.tif.big.jpg

OUDoc
10/10/2007, 01:09 PM
But he's not 40. He's not doing the right things.

Landthief 1972
10/10/2007, 01:11 PM
"Our fans are going to be wild, and it's going to be exciting," Tech quarterback Graham Harrell said of Saturday's showdown. "When the refs handfeed you a win at home, the crowd gets going, and you kind of feed off of that with momentum and stuff."

fixed.

tnraider1
10/10/2007, 01:11 PM
Didn't he make the same promise against Miami, right before he had 3 or 4 carries for the game?

Ash
10/10/2007, 01:12 PM
He's not a man, he's a poor little child that needs to be protected from the mean ol' media. I bet they tricked him into saying all that.

SoonerBOI
10/10/2007, 01:20 PM
Lane and Mike Hart are best friends.

mfosterftw
10/10/2007, 01:20 PM
But he's not 40. He's not doing the right things.

He's pretty close to 40 stone... that's only 560 pounds... :D :D :D

aurorasooner
10/10/2007, 01:25 PM
Gomers barely squeak by Stool State at Kyle, and now one of the "Psycho's are us" is guaranteeing a win in Lubbock where they haven't won in forever. Like aTm needs those rabid sand aggies yelling louder. If Leach gets the chance he may lay a Sooner like 77 points on Franchione. I doubt if they can skunk them though. Franchione must've sensed a loser attitude from the aTm players on Mon & Tues. to let one of the humpers start yapping guarantees. The spread is only around 9 points. I thought it would be around 18 with an over/under of around 70 points.

Seamus
10/10/2007, 01:36 PM
Wonder if his mom fed him chicken. Or wildebeast. Or brontosaurus ...

David Earl
10/10/2007, 02:01 PM
TAMU is going to get abused Saturday.

Badly abused...

Mac94
10/10/2007, 02:05 PM
Quote:
"Our fans are going to be wild, and it's going to be exciting," Tech quarterback Graham Harrell said of Saturday's showdown. "When the refs handfeed you a win at home, the crowd gets going, and you kind of feed off of that with momentum and stuff."

fixed.

Back in the 1990's this really was the story of A&M @ Lubbock .... games there were a combo Bermuda Triangle and Twilight Zone .... weird things just happened .... you all got a taste of it in 2005.

Since Fran showed up, though, the Techsters havent needed any bizzaro world stuff ... they've kicked our backsides.

MextheBulldog
10/10/2007, 02:41 PM
blah blah blah....Tech has owned this series recently...

Widescreen
10/10/2007, 02:55 PM
"(Other than a mediocre Miami team) Nothing can break us," he said.
Fixed, again.

DarrellZero
10/10/2007, 03:08 PM
"We're going to win in 2007," he said. "If we don't I'll slap around our waterboy again. That's a guarantee. I promise you. "

Fixed.

crawfish
10/10/2007, 03:09 PM
Meh. He can't even guarantee he'll get to carry the ball in the second half.

Miko
10/10/2007, 03:17 PM
So....if they lose, is he repaying the gas money to the aggy faithful? Do they have to return the unused portion of thier ticket?

Octavian
10/10/2007, 03:49 PM
Tech might score 50.

Can't wait for Leach's post-game quotes.

Miko
10/10/2007, 04:02 PM
Tech might score 50.

Can't wait for Leach's post-game quotes.

"Sometimes a pirate can cash in on a soldier's money back garrantee" ????:pop:

SoonerStormchaser
10/10/2007, 04:19 PM

...except Miami on a Thursday night...or a porkchop sandwich...

r5TPsooner
10/10/2007, 05:22 PM
You know Lane's momma feeds him lots of fried chicken.

arlington
10/10/2007, 06:10 PM
I would be more impressed if one of there DBs guaranteed a victory.

goingoneight
10/10/2007, 07:39 PM
You know Lane's momma feeds him lots of fried children.

Fixed.

Tech 55, FRANchise 24... aTm will spend so long driving, you'll think they're bussing back to Miami.

GoTigers
10/10/2007, 07:55 PM
Saw that on SportsCenter.

Anchor said

"Lane went on to say: 'I'm a MAN! I'm FORTY!"'